Seeking advice: possible move to Fairbanks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi - We may need to move to Fairbanks for my husband's job. I'm feeling a bit anxious about leaving Portland (kind of a Shangri-la for kid-raising) and moving further away from family on the east coast. 

I would love to hear about others' experiences raising kids in Fairbanks. Good schools? Fun things to do? Is it easy enough to meet and find other families as friends? I'm a bit of an introvert, so that doesn't come easily to me...

We have two girls - almost 4 years old and a 4 month old. My older girl is in an amazing montessori preschool situation, and it breaks my heart a bit to think about taking from it to start somewhere new... Also, I work at home, so would also need nanny or daycare options for the younger one. 

Any suggestions or references for schools, ways to connect with other parents (listservs or websites?), good neighborhoods, things to do and see would be helpful....

Thanks in advance!

Mama to joy.gifDD1 (5/09) and happy crawler DD2 (11/12) and wife to DH guitar.gif

#2 of 3 Old 05-09-2013, 11:15 PM

We lived in Portland 96-99, I can imagine your concern about culture shock!

Fairbanks is a super super family friendly town.  I don't know a lot about the schools as we homeschool.  There is a charter Montessori school and I have heard good things about it but don't have any personal experience.

Neighborhoods really depend on what you are looking for.  It's so not like Portland that it's hard to describe :) We lived in town the first few years and I really didn't like it.  Now we are in the hills just outside of Fairbanks (meaning it takes me 10 minutes to drive to the store and 20 to get basically anywhere else) and we have space (2 acres) and it's warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.  If you were to live in town Shannon Park or U Park are nicer areas.  Out of town Goldstream Valley or Chena Ridge are nice.

#3 of 3 Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That is great to hear. Since we posted my husband accepted a job locally so we won't be heading up to AK, at least not now, but helpful to know a bit more about Fairbanks.

Mama to joy.gifDD1 (5/09) and happy crawler DD2 (11/12) and wife to DH guitar.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page