AK homeschooling: Questions about IDEA and other programs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

I have a couple of questions about IDEA and the other homeschool program options.

Do the children have to take classes from IDEA employees or are you free to do all your schooling at home?

How many times a year do you have to meet with IDEA (or other program) to discuss your homeschooling?

Can I buy Christian Homeschool Curriculum or is that not allowed?

When do we need to sign up in order to receive money for the 2013/14 school year?

What is the yearly testing like?  Are the results turned into IDEA and kept on file or are they given only to me for review?  Do all of the programs require testing?

What are the other programs similar to IDEA in Alaska?

Thank you so much!

If you've participated in programs like this, have you felt it was worth it?  I've never really liked the idea of bringing someone else in on our decisions concerning homeschooling, but honestly....we could use the money.

Jessica

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee View Post

Hello!

I have a couple of questions about IDEA and the other homeschool program options.

Do the children have to take classes from IDEA employees or are you free to do all your schooling at home?

Yes, you still teach your own kids. Some programs do offer a few classes but they are not mandatory.

How many times a year do you have to meet with IDEA (or other program) to discuss your homeschooling?

It depends on the program, but at least 2x a year. Most also require a small work sample each quarter.

Can I buy Christian Homeschool Curriculum or is that not allowed?

You may use whatever curriculum you want. The only limitation is on what the program will pay for. Anything that is blatently religious will not be allowed, but many curriculum items form Christian sources can be purchased. It depends a lot on the program & your contact teacher as to how much they will investigate each item to see if it is 'religious'.

When do we need to sign up in order to receive money for the 2013/14 school year?

Again, it depends on which program. Most will still accept people even after the school year has started but better to sign up sooner.

What is the yearly testing like?  Are the results turned into IDEA and kept on file or are they given only to me for review?  Do all of the programs require testing?

It was surprisingly easy on us this week! Our first time doing testing. My child was not required to do the 4th test (science) this year, that is only certain grades. I honestly don't know what happens to the results as I do not care what my kids score is.

What are the other programs similar to IDEA in Alaska?

Yes, there are quite a few!  Here is a page that lists some of them:
http://www.anchoragelifelearners.org/home/resources

Thank you so much!

If you've participated in programs like this, have you felt it was worth it?  I've never really liked the idea of bringing someone else in on our decisions concerning homeschooling, but honestly....we could use the money.

Jessica

Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thank you, Rik-E!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)

User Tag List