Looking for a birthing center in Anchorage; first time mom. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-02-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is checking out  birthing centers in Anchorage. She was a large baby, born at home, but is a small adult, so she's not convinced she wants the first baby to be born at home, though she doesn't want to shut the door completely on this option.

We'd welcome feedback on other first-time mom's that have had their babies here in the past couple of years. 

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Hey there! I've had friends who have given birth at Geneva Woods and Heritage Birth Center, and had great experiences. My friend who recently gave birth at GW was home within hours and her baby is very happy and healthy! My friend who have birth at Heritage is very tiny and her children were over nine pounds each! So, there's a great success story there!

I personally gave birth at Providence Medical Center because I had a childhood kidney condition and didn't know what to expect. I ended up having an emergency c-section because my pelvis ended up being too narrow. I had a good experience there. I'm not saying this to imply that you should not pursue a birth center, but just to share that if an emergency does occur that Prov is a good backup option.
#3 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Prov is definitely where we want to be if a hospital birth becomes necessary. We're checking out Heritage tomorrow. GW has a great reputation, but I don't think they do homebirths, or do they? I'll have to give them a call.

Good to hear they can handle big babes - we are very much hoping this one is smaller than my daughter was - 11 lbs, 2 oz!!
#4 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 03:32 PM

No problem! I hope that can help! I'm so glad that you have a solid backup plan. Dr. Heather Bane with Alaska Women's Health performed my c-section. She was very kind, and even sealed up my incision with surgical glue so that I would not have to deal with external stitches or staples! Tremendous of her!

I'm not sure how GW is on home births. I wish I knew more about that!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page