AK homeschoolers-Allotment! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 09-18-2008, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
W is getting her own laptop and a printer/fax/scanner combo from IDEA. The $ doesn't come out of our allotment, but it's not much and it's a SUPER nice computer.

Not sure how I feel about her having a computer of her own, and I've let her know it's still under my jurisdiction (and she can't get online with it unless I provide the cable to do so). OTOH, she's stoked so it's something to make homeschooling less of a negative for her.

She wanted to order all her curriculum new, and spent a TON on it. Yipers.

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#32 of 52 Old 09-18-2008, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well we've spent about 45% of it already. The biggest chunk went to the 2nd grade Enki curriculum. It's massive and quite expensive but it's a TON of information for the $ so I think it's worth it. We also spend a tidy sum on supplies like markers, crayons, paper, etc. I think we're going to sign up for Tang Soo do and indoor soccer as well. It's tricky though because we only have one vehicle and if we want to go anywhere while DH is at work we either need to be up early to drive him or take the bus over to pick up the truck.

I need to figure out what the schedule is for T.S.Do and whenever I stop by they are always closed.. and they have no website that I can find.. I guess I should just call. I stink at calling around places. I have some weird aversion to it.. gotta get over that I guess.

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#33 of 52 Old 09-19-2008, 01:22 AM

Stephanie, are you thinking of entering your DS, or your DS and DD?

Your son is 7, correct? So he's eligible to start as a white belt, and I believe those classes are 4:30 to 5:30 T, Th. Kids are welcome to come to most friday classes, as well, and Super Saturday is a fun day of karate and games from 1-2:30 most Saturdays.

I am not sure if there is a M, W White Belt class.

Your daughter is just barely 3, and he might not accept her as a Tiny Tiger. They are typically almost or already 4, but it really depends on the kid. (They do have to be potty trained ). Mr. and Mrs. Gephardt teach the little kids, and they're wonderful. They also help with a lot of the other classes.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#34 of 52 Old 09-19-2008, 04:06 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the info Penelope!

Yeah I was only thinking of entering DS. DD, while potty trained, probably isn't ready to pay attention for an hour.

Do they typically want kids to show up two days a week or can you do just one? I'm worried about getting overwhelmed by too much too fast. One day a week sounds good to start and then go for more if we feel up to it later.

~Stephanie )O(

#35 of 52 Old 09-19-2008, 11:03 PM

If he only goes one day a week, you might want to get him to Super Saturdays as well...it's a really laid-back, structured but super-fun hour-and-a-half. Master Wick and the other instructors do a wonderful job of paying attention to each kid's needs, and helping them do well.

I'd try two days a week first, because really it's not like boot camp, it's a very fun class for the new white belts.

They only take new students once a year, so get in there! This is the only time to join as a new person. The new family orientation was two weeks ago, so you missed that. But if you h ave any questions, you can always ask any other parent of kids who have been there a while.

We're there T,Th 5:30-7:30, so maybe we'll meet!

love, penelope

#36 of 52 Old 09-19-2008, 11:41 PM

I have spent all of the first semester allotment and it creeped over into the second allotment, but they didn't tell me to stop so I didn't realize I had gone that far.

Pretty much all of our money was spent on curriculum. I'm amazed that it ended up being that expensive, but I pieced things together this year and think I may have gone a little with dd joining the crowd. I got bits and pieces of Sonlight for each of my kids and as much as we have enjoyed using them, their stuff seems kind of spendy. I think that's where most of our money went. It's okay though because the kids have been much more excited this year about what we got than they were last year. If they enjoy it more, than I am all for spending a little more.
#37 of 52 Old 09-20-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKchick View Post
I have spent all of the first semester allotment and it creeped over into the second allotment, but they didn't tell me to stop so I didn't realize I had gone that far.

Pretty much all of our money was spent on curriculum. I'm amazed that it ended up being that expensive, but I pieced things together this year and think I may have gone a little with dd joining the crowd. I got bits and pieces of Sonlight for each of my kids and as much as we have enjoyed using them, their stuff seems kind of spendy. I think that's where most of our money went. It's okay though because the kids have been much more excited this year about what we got than they were last year. If they enjoy it more, than I am all for spending a little more.

When we do things from Sonlight, such as the readers, I write down the titles and get them used through another site so it doesn't take as much money.
#38 of 52 Old 09-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
When we do things from Sonlight, such as the readers, I write down the titles and get them used through another site so it doesn't take as much money.
I did that for a lot of the titles, but ran out of time to do it for all three kids. I also thought about getting some of the books from the library, but we have such a small one here that the book you need can be out for what seems ever. In the future though if we leave AK, I will be much more careful about spending money on school. I am a bit more extravagant living here than if we lived elsewhere because of the money we get. We can indulge more of our schooling desires than we might do otherwise.

I should add though that now that I have gotten things from Sonlight once, I have a better idea how much time is involved to look for things for each of the kids and would start searching for used books earlier than I did this year. This was our first year using them and I didn't give myself enough time to prepare, research and plan.
#39 of 52 Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 PM

penelope,

I forgot to say thank you for the information about karate. I ended up not signing up this year because we only have one vehicle and 4:30-5:30 on those days of the week just isn't doable with DH's work schedule. I didn't realize that they only take new students once a year.. bummer. We're looking around for cheap second car but haven't had any luck yet. I'd be totally down with taking public transportation but the buses don't go that far west. :

I guess I'll have to figure this car thing out and shoot for next fall. *sigh*

~Stephanie )O(

#40 of 52 Old 10-17-2008, 04:14 AM

Can you ladies tell me at what age you can start receiving allotments for HSing? I'm pretty sure I will be HSing my kids...DD will be 4 in Dec but I don't think I can get anything until she is 5, is that correct? Thanks.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#41 of 52 Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM

When your dd can be in kindergarten (which I believe is 5, I think there is a cutoff birth date on the website) is when you can enroll her and get the allotment. However, once she is enrolled, your next children can get a $200 allotment for preschool at age 4, you just have to have the older child already enrolled. All this is for IDEA, I'm not sure how the other organizations work.
#42 of 52 Old 10-17-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKchick View Post
When your dd can be in kindergarten (which I believe is 5, I think there is a cutoff birth date on the website) is when you can enroll her and get the allotment. However, once she is enrolled, your next children can get a $200 allotment for preschool at age 4, you just have to have the older child already enrolled. All this is for IDEA, I'm not sure how the other organizations work.
That is exactly what I was told. They have to be five by 9/1 to receive any allotment, but if they already have a sibling enrolled, they can receive the preschool allotment at 4.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#43 of 52 Old 10-17-2008, 03:01 PM

Our preschool allotment was $300. Unless it's changed. And yes, they have to be 5 before September because that is the public school cut-off and the charter and correspondence schools are technically public schools. We lucked out that since we moved here when Autumn was in 1st grade we got to bypass that rule. Her birthday isn't until the end of September.
#44 of 52 Old 10-17-2008, 03:16 PM

Bummer...that means I have to wait 2 more years since she is a Dec baby...Thanks for the info.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#45 of 52 Old 10-18-2008, 02:10 AM

The cutoff when my Dd began school was Aug 15; I don't know if that's changed or not, or if it is different from Borough to Borough.

If you choose a HS program, or are already in one, look into its rules regarding preschool. With Raven, we were given only $200, and it came with a list of "accepted" curricular packages for Pre-K...there was no way to spend the money on what WE chose, no mixing and matching. And if you chose a package under $200, you didn't get to spend the leftovers...it was just gone (back into the Raven budget for admin, I believe).

I am pretty unhappy with the way that is set up at Raven, so when we enroll Iris for Pre-K homeschool, it will be w/ IDEA (because one of my kids is with IDEA).

love, p

#46 of 52 Old 10-23-2008, 05:36 PM

I am on the Kenai Peninsula. I know of Connections and Idea, but what other programs are available?
This is the first I've heard about Raven. Is it available state wide? Or just in certain locations?

i am currently HSing my twins (7yo) in secound grade, DS (6yo) in first grade, and DS (4) preschool. I am going through the connections program this year, but would like to try and find something different. Preferably one that does not have to do state testing. My girls have LDs and will need help on the tests.

As for how I spent the allotment, most of it went on curriculum- reading rods, hooked on phonics, saxon math, science, and geography. I also spent a tidy sum on supplies- paper, globe, art supplies, binders...

Funny though, I actually don't use most of it. I find that if I use the workbooks the kids shut down. For the last month I've been making my own worksheets, and just reading a lot of books with the kids and they seem to remembering more! I also got several computer games that help the kids with math skills, reading and listening skills.
#47 of 52 Old 10-23-2008, 06:27 PM

As far as I know, all the state programs require testing. It is something set by the state, not individual schools. But I have not looked into all the different schools, either. I know charter schools have a few less rules and regulations than the correspondence schools.
#48 of 52 Old 10-27-2008, 12:55 AM

I know that if you are not in a program you do NOT have to test. But you do have to buy your own stuff then...
#49 of 52 Old 10-31-2008, 03:26 AM

We just got most of our supplies from Mercurius and I think we about spent our allotment...
#50 of 52 Old 11-15-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolAK View Post
I know that if you are not in a program you do NOT have to test. But you do have to buy your own stuff then...
But you do still have to pass the HSGQE to get a diploma, IIRC.

We love testing, it really isn't scary and it's a good way to help them learn to focus. In the early years, especially, it's kind of a game to most kids.

You can download sample tests from the net, or ask for copies of sample tests from your HS office. Work on them at a leisurely pace, and don't stress about them.

It really is a lot of fun for most of the kids I know.

love, p

#51 of 52 Old 11-15-2008, 02:07 AM

I'm sure every HS program has its issues, but I've found a few which are interesting to me...

1) IDEA does *not* require that my daughter's piano teacher be certified (in anything!), just that she be practicing and learning.

2) IDEA allows PE to include jogging 'round the block, doing pushups, etc.

3) While their paperwork is more confusing to me, I do think it's as easy as Cyberlynx or Raven (I have YEARS of experience in both HS organisations).

4) IDEA has SO MUCH MORE to offer as far as trips, classes, clubs, etc.

Next year, we're definitely moving A to IDEA. Don't know about E and M, but probably at least one of them. A will be a freshman next year, and she's phenomenally interested in things like Close Up, Academic Decathlon, etc., all of which are things Raven is not well put-together about.

love, p

#52 of 52 Old 11-17-2008, 01:15 AM

I use Chugach which has one of the smallest allotments and we've pretty much spent it all on curriculum, internet, PE and curriculum. We do lots of PE and I always end up paying 1/2 the year's PE cost out of pocket. It's kinda lame to have so little $ but worth it because we really like the program and have become friends with some of the other families.

I'm using two literature based reading/art/SS curriculums that requires a ton of books so I've had to use the library and ILL extensively.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page