AK homeschoolers-Allotment! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 08-16-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first year getting the allotment. I'm stoked! :

How do you use yours? Aside from standard curriculum and classes(art, music, gymnastics etc) what do you spend it on? How have you creatively spent it?
#2 of 52 Old 08-17-2008, 01:58 AM

lots of art and science projects!
#3 of 52 Old 08-17-2008, 01:58 AM

also german by rosetta stone
#4 of 52 Old 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM

We buy a lot of books with it. Twindly has a book fair at least twice a year and we can have the cost of books taken right out of our allotments. We bought a bunch of stuff at Learning Essentials in Wasilla last year -- games, art stuff, etc. This year we bought a computer with Aiden's allotment. I don't have to really buy any curriculum for either kid, so am not sure how I'm using the money this year. I am hoping they can do swimming lessons with it, but I have to look into that one.
#5 of 52 Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Cool! Do any of you purchase *toys*? Marble runs, Legos, board games? If so, do you get any flack for doing so? Is it easy to justify the use of these items?
#6 of 52 Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 AM

We have tons of homeschoolers that use part of theirs on our programs (science), which are almost always organized through your HS office (Idea, Twindly, CSS, etc.)

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#7 of 52 Old 08-19-2008, 05:57 PM

I'm sure she'll respond herself but I know spruce has gotten legos and thing with it with I believe no problem...

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#8 of 52 Old 08-19-2008, 09:38 PM

I didn't get any toys with it last year because I didn't really have the money left to do so by the time I did Aiden's stuff out of Autumn's allotment (he was considered preschooler last year). I know you can get certain toys no problem, though. I was going to buy some Legos at Learning Essentials, but they were out of the regular ones and only had Duplos, which I didn't want.
#9 of 52 Old 08-20-2008, 01:32 AM

we got toys (counting animals, board games, etc...)
#10 of 52 Old 08-22-2008, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We've filled up on Legos, K'Nex, etc. There are some awesome K'Nex sets for learning about how different machines work, and they come with instructions, worksheets, etc.

Elliot got underwater Legos, Mars Mission Legos, and Castle/Knight Legos with his allotment. We studied all those things.

We buy lots of science and art stuff, pay for our sports, and spend a lot at the bookstores. Tons of pencils, good desk supplies (for some reason, we had a heck of a time finding a decent stapler for YEARS!), boxes of printer paper, ink for the printer, etc.

Books on CD, that's another big hit. Some computer stuff, like a typing tutorial, etc.

Muzzy German. Rosetta Stone Latin.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#11 of 52 Old 08-22-2008, 03:36 PM

If you write up a quick paragraph, or put that your history or LA studies include things like knights, you can buy puppets, a puppet theatre, costumes, face paint, etc. We've done that, and the kids get a TON of use out of their puppets and costumes.

Other parents have had issues getting stuff passed through (usually the teacher just wants a quick jot of what class it's for--like rocket kits for science, dress-up for history, etc).

We also turn in receipts for things like the four boxes of corn starch I bought for doing different experiments, huge bags of epsom salts, borax, etc.

A good way to ask yourself if it will be acceptable use of your allotment is to picture a K or 1st grade classroom. Do they have that stuff? They have Legos, costumes, blocks, puppets, even train sets. If you can figure a way to tie it in (blocks are math, puppets are history or LA, costumes are history, LA, even science, Legos and K'Nex are science, etc), then it should be acceptable.

If it ties to anything in your curriculum, run with it!

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#12 of 52 Old 08-24-2008, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info penelope. I get how to fit Legos and much of the stuff you mentioned into a curriculum. Like my boys are into construction vehicles and dinosaurs and it is easy to fit that stuff into science, LA, history etc.

What about a play kitchen? I'd like to get them one and honestly I am not sure how I can involve it into my ILP. I was thinking about sorting food, counting etc but that seems like a long shot. I wish *pretend play* could be a part of our ILP. Certainly, kindergarten classroms in public schools have play kitchens. Are they used for learning or simply as something to enjoy in an imaginative way?
#13 of 52 Old 08-24-2008, 03:21 AM

I know that IDEA specifically says that the allotment can't be spent on kitchen supplies. I'm kinda bummed about that too. I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned in the kitchen. I imagine it's the state that imposes that restriction though.. I doubt it's IDEA's choice.

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#14 of 52 Old 08-24-2008, 03:24 AM

Could you write a quick paragraph explaining that you're studying health and nutrition as part of your science curriculum, and that the play food and equipment is for that purpose? (It's what I would do...but we've bought play wooden food w/ funds in the past and nobody has questioned it, just like they didn't question the puzzles that teach latches, shoe tying, or buttoning).

Good luck!

love, p

#15 of 52 Old 08-24-2008, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpyr View Post
I know that IDEA specifically says that the allotment can't be spent on kitchen supplies. I'm kinda bummed about that too. I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned in the kitchen. I imagine it's the state that imposes that restriction though.. I doubt it's IDEA's choice.
I think they mean actual kitchen supplies, not play stuff.

The reasoning for that is that lots (LOTS) of people were trying to write off things like Pampered Chef equipment, grocery lists, etc.

You can have your kid do "Home Ec" as a course, and then you just write up recipes, equipment, etc. I've bought a kitchen scale for science and it went through just fine (but I'm with Raven).

love, p

#16 of 52 Old 08-24-2008, 03:29 AM

A quick BTW, from what I heard from a few other moms lately, IDEA is much more strict with things that might have a "toy" value than is Raven. So, not knowing which CS everyone is with, I can't say if your particular school will pass anything.

The best way to go about it (if you don't want pre-approval forms involved), is to write a paragraph about how you are going to use the item in a school-related manner. That frees the teacher and supervisors of any possibility of being seen as supporting frivolous purchases.

love, p

#17 of 52 Old 08-24-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrozncavegrl View Post
Certainly, kindergarten classroms in public schools have play kitchens. Are they used for learning or simply as something to enjoy in an imaginative way?
Not anymore, unfortunately. KItchens used to be one of the most successful K centers; ie. language arts--labels, lists & oral language; math--counting, inventory; teamwork/conflict resolution; & just plain old creativity. You may still find kitchens in the K room but sadly, they're used very little.

How about a Learning Tower? YOu could bill it as a desk, etc but they are AWESOME for real kitchens. Ours is still used daily after 7 years
#18 of 52 Old 08-24-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I will update when I figure out what to do and how it goes over.:
#19 of 52 Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Not anymore, unfortunately. KItchens used to be one of the most successful K centers; ie. language arts--labels, lists & oral language; math--counting, inventory; teamwork/conflict resolution; & just plain old creativity. You may still find kitchens in the K room but sadly, they're used very little.

How about a Learning Tower? YOu could bill it as a desk, etc but they are AWESOME for real kitchens. Ours is still used daily after 7 years
Wow what a great investment. I never got one because I thought they would not last very long.
#20 of 52 Old 08-24-2008, 11:13 PM

When our kids were little, they seemed to live in/on/around it. Now, it still gets pulled out daily but that's b/c they like to help in the kitchen or try to steal snacks off the top of the fridge. It is advertized as a desk, fort, etc as well.

Our other investment was Stokke chairs. Boy, those are fabulous. GOt those instead of high chairs and yes, 7 years later, still in use.
#21 of 52 Old 08-24-2008, 11:45 PM

A quick note...allotments cannot be used for furniture of any type. Bookcases, desks, chairs, lamps, nothing. Sorry.

love, penelope

#22 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 12:01 AM

Allotment? And the oil money?

I'm so jealous!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#23 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 03:52 PM

Now I'm curious. Those of you with other CSchools (I"m with Raven), are you allowed to purchase furniture? I thought the no-furniture rule was statewide, but I'd be very thrilled if it's not. My 15yo (whom we are disenrolling from PS today) wants to join IDEA instead of Raven. If they allow desks, etc., it would be a huge help to us.

love, p

#24 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 06:01 PM

Here's a list of what IDEA will and will not cover-

What could be covered by IDEA funds?

Your IDEA allotment pays for most things that are educational and complements your student’s educational goals as set forth in the ILP. All expenditures must accurately reflect your child’s ILP, which is reviewed as part of the ordering and reimbursement process.
  • Curricular materials may include textbooks, workbooks, educational games, online courses, CD-ROMs, art materials, science kits, school supplies, etc.
    • Educational toys and games will be evaluated for consistency with your educational plan and curriculum and student's age.
    • Software must be Windows–compatible.
    • Used curricular materials may be purchased from our offices at a reduced price (as available). These can come directly from allotment. It is possible for you to be reimbursed for purchases of used materials from other locations, but you must have an itemized receipt, showing amounts for each individual title or item purchased.
  • Possible activities may include P.E. (ballet, gymnastics, swimming instruction, etc.), music instruction, community schools activities, field trips, small-group foreign language instruction, art instruction, field trips, etc. Your children’s activities must be included in their ILPs and purchases made must relate to instructional areas on the ILP.
    • Regulations require that any annual passes or memberships must be prorated to include only instructional time for students who are receiving lessons that are included in their ILP.
    • We may reimburse for entrance fees (such as for field trips) only for students and only if instruction tied to the ILP is taking place. An example is entrance to a history or science museum.
What would not be covered by IDEA funds?

Although you may select curricular materials from any vendor of your choosing, there are some things for which IDEA cannot provide funding.
  • Regulations prohibit us from paying for the following:
    • family travel expenses, including transportation, food, and lodging,
    • textbooks or other materials that advocate religious, partisan, sectarian, or denominational doctrines
    • services provided by a family member,
    • sports related items (including sports equipment or awards),
    • clothing (such as costumes or uniforms),
    • animals or animal supplies,
    • fixed assets (furniture or fixed assets that adhere or enhance the value of a non-IDEA facility),
    • sales tax,
    • any tests that are not required by the district,
    • parking fees,
    • entertainment,
    • or any items that are considered excessive by the school administration.
  • We do not typically pay for:
    • special equipment that will carry a liability with operation,
    • equipment that duplicates what IDEA provides (computers or printers)
    • backpacks,
    • Sergers,
    • greenhouses,
    • dolls,
    • food items or cookwear,
    • household items,
    • any items purchased from your own business,
    • or parts or repair for items that are owned by the family even if usage of the item is included in the ILP, such as in a vocational class (e.g., piano tuning, small engine or vehicle parts, etc.).
What limits are there on allotment expenditures?

There are a few limits on some possible atypical items:
  • Camera (digital, film, or camcorder) – student should be in 5th grade or above, limit of $300
  • Sewing machine – student should be in 5th grade or above, limit of $300
  • VCR or DVD player – limit of $150
  • TV/VCR – limit of $250
  • Gardening or sewing supplies – limit of $200 for family
  • Musical instruments – must be age-appropriate and supported by continuing instruction. Any musical instruments with a cost of $500 or more must be rent-to-own.
  • Scrap-booking materials – $100 per child per year

~Stephanie )O(

#25 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 06:03 PM

so it does appear that furniture is not allowed due to state regulations...

~Stephanie )O(

#26 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
Allotment? And the oil money?

I'm so jealous!
Yeah the money is nice and being homeschoolers, it is a big part of what keeps us from moving away (well plus all our family being here) but I must say that I am sooooo jealous of your Oregon climate and winter daylight hours.

~Stephanie )O(

#27 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 06:34 PM

Just finished the online enrollment for W. with IDEA. Now I have 3 enrolled w/ Raven, and one w/ IDEA.

Interesting to note that TV/VCR is on the approved list (with a limit) because we do art on DVD (and W's math will also partially be DVD) and we have to replace our TV anyway...

love, p

#28 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Cool! I also just read about this thing called Skills Alaska. It's an online tutorial and assessment tool to get students ready for the standardized testing. I think it identifies gaps in their knowledge and provides tutorials to help fill the gaps. Apparently IDEA is the only homeschool program to offer it. I haven't looked into it much cause my son isn't taking those tests yet but it sounds helpful.

~Stephanie )O(

#29 of 52 Old 09-18-2008, 02:55 AM

Okay, peoples. Allotments have been out for long enough for most of us to make a dent in them.

How have you spent them?

How are you planning to spend them?

US: Karate and swimming fees.

Curriculum, and too many trips to Gulliver's, B&N, and Enchanted Forest Toys.

Lots of new art and science kits and materials. Waldorfy notebooks, crayons, and many mama-oriented waldorf manuals. I'm really loving the laid back, story-oriented approach. Plus, their square crayons just rock.

Lots of language materials. One doing Latin, one doing German, one Spanish. Oy, vey!

Putting some aside for swim lessons for the 7yo.

So come on, what have you spent your allotments on?

love, penelope

#30 of 52 Old 09-18-2008, 05:04 AM

Well, so far we've got money into tumbling and tap. We have put in a purchase order at Just Imagine Toys for a kazillion things (well, maybe not quite that many) and I have paperwork I need to get in to get reimbursed for math and handwriting and the books and CDs that were listed as required for Autumn's work. Oh, and we got a laptop and we will be getting a printer. I just need to remember to go get it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page