Childbirth in Sitka? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2008, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone out there had a baby in Sitka? We're probably moving there in the spring, want to have a baby pretty soon, and I'm stressing out about natural childbirth options (or lack therof). Are the docs there natural childbirth friendly? Are there any CNMs? Can you get a doula? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 01:16 PM

I don't have any DONA doulas listed but that doesn't mean there might not be one who is no longer a member or who is with another organization. Do a search for your town and doula.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I don't have any DONA doulas listed but that doesn't mean there might not be one who is no longer a member or who is with another organization. Do a search for your town and doula.
I did. Didn't come up with anything
Old 09-03-2008, 01:48 PM

I would check with the Juneau Family Birthing Center. They may be able to travel or know someone who could. (doula or midwife) Or you could go and have the baby in Juneau.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:50 PM

p.s. Don't give up! Get the support you need. And keep posting or pm me if you need help finding someone.

I am in process of starting the Alaska Birth Network. It's our mission to find all the options available for women in the state. I'd be interested to hear what you find.

Elke
Old 09-03-2008, 03:13 PM

I remember my midwife (from Anchorage) did a homebirth in Sitka. I don't know all the logistics of that or how much it costs, but midwives will fly to you if hombirth is what you want.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebemommy View Post
I remember my midwife (from Anchorage) did a homebirth in Sitka. I don't know all the logistics of that or how much it costs, but midwives will fly to you if hombirth is what you want.
I went into labor early the first time, so I'm not a great candidate for a situation where anyone would have to fly in...or where I'd have to travel for the birth.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snt88 View Post
I went into labor early the first time, so I'm not a great candidate for a situation where anyone would have to fly in...or where I'd have to travel for the birth.
I think the way they do it is the midwife comes and stays with you for a couple weeks. I don't know if that would make a difference, or if you think it's too big a variable...
Old 11-17-2008, 02:53 AM

When I lived there about ten years ago there was a HB midwife. Elisabeth (Bitsy?) Mosier?. She also worked at the Sitka planned parenthood.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:30 PM

I know it has been AGES since this conversation took place, but I'm living in Juneau and I want to see about doing a doula training in some of the surrounding areas, such as Sitka.  I'm also trying to think of ways I can offer childbirth classes to expecting families in those more remote areas.  HOW did your search go???  Did you ever find anyone???  Who would I talk to about doing this?

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
Old 02-25-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

It is so funny to see this post again, after so many years!  I moved a year and a half ago, but last I heard, Crystal Oostemo, who I knew as a yoga teacher, is now a doula as well.   This has her contact information:  http://www.balancedpractice.com/Balanced_Practice/Services/Services.html.

Also, you could call the SEARHC and ask about the programs they currently have in villages. 

I delivered at SEARHC with my family physician and a wonderful nurse - they were both very supportive of natural childbirth.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:08 PM

Thank you!  I will see about contacting those.  I knew there had to be something available there...or at least an interest in it.  I will contact the doula there and see if there is anything helpful I can do.

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula

User Tag List