Ongoing Alaska Chat-- New Thread September - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 219 Old 09-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah my dad lives by the airport so I'll be walking over from there. If it looks like too much insanity I'll probably turn around and go home.

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#62 of 219 Old 09-10-2008, 04:58 PM

Holy crap, I would go just because I DON'T support her and because they suggested I NOT go! I'll be damned if I'm denied peaceful assemblage and freedom of expression wherever I'm at! Too bad I'm in Delta and can't get
there.
:

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#63 of 219 Old 09-10-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpyr View Post

oh and did any of you read what they said in the article about this yesterday?
That's what really made me want to go and wave a big angry sign! Basically saying that if you disagree you aren't a real Alaskan or something.
WTF!! Wow, that's crazy. So I guess if you yell "BOO!" they'll remove you? I wish I could go we could boo them together!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#64 of 219 Old 09-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
That's what really made me want to go and wave a big angry sign! Basically saying that if you disagree you aren't a real Alaskan or something.
:

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#65 of 219 Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 PM

Have a peaceful 9-11 tomorrow, everyone. Our school district is advising us to have a moment of silence in our classrooms to honor the memory.
#66 of 219 Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 AM

I just drove by there on my way home from the airport. Signs of anti Palin were the only signs I saw and thought it was hilarious.
#67 of 219 Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAK's Mom View Post
I can answer the question about who is third in line to be AK's governor:

When a new governor takes office s/he nominates a member of her/his cabinet. This person is then confirmed by a majority vote of the legislature. Palin nominated attorney general Talis Colberg and he was confirmed. Hopefully, you will not need this information.
yeah, it would be the attorney general UNTIL an election process, but I think it has a specified timeline..

I like Sarah. I don't agree with everything about her, but I don't agree with everything about this state either.. and I still love AK!
#68 of 219 Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post

I like Sarah. I don't agree with everything about her, but I don't agree with everything about this state either.. and I still love AK!

I agree.

I watched her Fairbanks speech last night on CNN. YOu have to admit she is a captivating speaker.
#69 of 219 Old 09-11-2008, 03:19 PM

Did the wasilla spirit Junior A hockey team disappear??
Is it the Alaska Avalanche now?

I am confused

We are still IceDogs fans and cannot wait until December to cheer them on when they come down here for a couple of games!!

WHOOO HOOO! Go Dogs!!
#70 of 219 Old 09-11-2008, 03:29 PM

ATTENTION!!

I posted a new thread in the POLITICS forum to avoid THIS one from being "pruned" by the mods again.

Here ya go.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1#post12155441
#71 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 01:41 AM

Anyone know how I can get fresh raw cow's milk in the Delta/Fairbanks area?

#72 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
Have you looked at realmilk.org? If there is nothing listed there, try contacting your 4-H office and see if they know of any dairies.

Or you could just raise your own cow, but that's a lot of work. lol
#73 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 05:07 AM

You have to buy a share in a cow. People are not allowed to sell raw milk here so you buy a share then you are part owner of the cow and stop by occasionally to pick up your proceeds.
#74 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM

Happy PFD-day everyone!

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#75 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
Happy PFD-day everyone!

What are your plans for your PFD this year, everyone?
#76 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 01:54 PM

Our PFD is already spent. Well, basically. We redid one bathroom on the airlines card last month, so we're going to pay that off, then re-do the other bathroom. We finally bought a hood for the stove, we're going to finish the few pieces of trim left between bathrooms and kitchen (missing 3 pieces of trim for almost over 2 years -- pathetic), and hopefully we're going to get the driveway flattened and gravel put down. We're also talking about having our house rated by the energy efficiency people so we can take advantage of the state programs to do some needed improvements that we can't afford.

I was really hoping to do something fun with it, but it's just not possible this year.
#77 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 02:55 PM

We are going to buy a wood stove and build an arctic entryway!

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#78 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
You have to buy a share in a cow. People are not allowed to sell raw milk here so you buy a share then you are part owner of the cow and stop by occasionally to pick up your proceeds.
I know, was just wondering if anyone knows whom I can contact to buy cow shares in the Fairbanks/Delta area...

#79 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 03:18 PM

Check Sunshine Health Food. They carry raw milk. It's not always in stock but about 50% of the time I go they have some. I'd call to check ahead before you make that drive though.

~Stephanie )O(

#80 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Check Sunshine Health Food. They carry raw milk. It's not always in stock but about 50% of the time I go they have some. I'd call to check ahead before you make that drive though.
Awesome! How could I forget about them?

#81 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 05:52 PM

I love that store.. even if it does put a dent in my pocket book whenever I go there. They have stuff that you just can't find anywhere else.

~Stephanie )O(

#82 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 05:57 PM

Anyone know when the mailed version of the pfds come out?
#83 of 219 Old 09-12-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have to stop by Sunshine Health Foods. Can you believe I've never been in there?

I'm sure our PFDs are going to some heating oil (thankfully our wood shed is full, though!), school and lessons, and BILLS. It gives us a nice little boost for food and the necessities, too. Trying to raise this many kids on one income isn't as easy as my own parents made it look.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#84 of 219 Old 09-13-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Anyone know when the mailed version of the pfds come out?
September 30.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#85 of 219 Old 09-13-2008, 01:32 PM

<<<we were total gluttions about the PFD. We have really wanted a new tv and Dh loves his toys so we have a substational sized new LCD tv with surround sound and a PS3 that plays blueray. Dh also pre ordered some video games like Guitar Hero (which we all play even 2.5 yr old Ds). I got new knives and stainless steel pots and pans cause all I have had for the last few years are my dh's bachelor garbage pots and pans. I want to get 2 area rugs one for Ds room and one for the living room. Most of what we want is to make our house nice, curtains for Ds room and a bedspread for ours, art work for the walls. We moved into this house in Jan and it still looks like we are ready to move out. Luckily we are spartan about house decorations, less is more but it echos in the rooms cause there is nothing on the walls or floors. LOL

We are setting aside enough to fill our fuel tank 3 times this winter (2 gets us through the winter the last 1 gets us through the summer)

But with all this we agreed not to buy anything for christmas. Ds will be getting the Toy Quest train set he loves trains...oh and the Cars movie, he's obsessed with Cars and wants to watch it several times a day....eegads

Now we need to get rid of all the trash and stuff, Walmart has a recycling collection area just inside the doors I am thinking of going to fill it up. They really should move it outside cause once word really spreads I think that they will be overwhelmed.
#86 of 219 Old 09-13-2008, 02:15 PM

I dont even want to talk about PFD's. : Ugh.

Last I heard the Appeals committee was working on them "first come first serve" style. They told me they were working on all the appeals they have received from Nov 2007. So does that mean we have to wait like a year??? We sent in ours in August 2008.

This blows. Freaking california. Grrrr.
#87 of 219 Old 09-13-2008, 02:16 PM

But on a good note, our house now has a SOLD sign!! Looking like all is moving full steam ahead and we should be moving in end of Sept!!!!
#88 of 219 Old 09-13-2008, 03:43 PM

Tammy that sucks that you and the family got shafted out of the PFDs. Totally not fair. I hope your appeal goes through.

Riki, I think a lot of people had the same idea as you. I've never seen so many flat screen tvs leaving Fred Meyers all at once before. I think I saw 10 different people with them yesterday at the store. It was like rush hour all. day. long. on the roads too. We took the bus to Freds and it was standing room only. : I didn't like that.. makes me feel all trapped and icky. Thank goodness I only have to ride it over to pick up our truck from DH's workplace.

After filling our tank and setting enough aside to do that 2 more times, we've got to prioritize and decide what we want to do with the rest of it. We have a big long list of things.. some mundane some exciting. We'd also like to have some in savings that actually gets saved and not spent in 3-6 months like it always seems to happen with our "savings". Definitely want to get a bunk bed so we can get the middle child out of our bed and into her own.

Another thing I KNOW we're gonna do is fix the wiring to our clothes dryer electric outlet. I think it's fried. We've been drying our clothes on a line in our living room.. Very tacky looking and I'll be glad to be done with it.. even if it does mean a jump in our electric bill.

If I could have all the toys I want I would get a MacBook Pro with a digital pen tablet, and a spinning wheel. I don't know if that's wise though.. the Mac alone is like $2800. The spinning wheel in the $500-700 range. I hate it when we get a windfall like this and then in 6 months are back to paycheck to paycheck scraping by. We aren't so good at money management.

~Stephanie )O(

#89 of 219 Old 09-13-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
I asked on the greenparentingalliance list and this is a good response I got for you.

Quote:
I know that you can order it from Azure standard Frozen.. cow that is, and there is the Point Mac Farm that has different co ops threw the Big Lake/ Anchorage area their may be some that far out? or maybe someone could start one.. I know if you call the Byers they may allow one to drive out once a month or so and fill up for the full months shares worth. i had looked into that at one time.
#90 of 219 Old 09-13-2008, 04:14 PM

I wish we had easy access to local raw milk in Anchorage. Oh well...

PFDs...we're not going too crazy w/them. Saving the kids' for college and buying a new dishwasher that's energy efficient. Maybe a hideously expensive Capresso machine from Habitat.

Oh, and we'll pay off the car so we'll sort of have extra money each month to pay for Enstar's outrageous fuel increase.

Oh I did go crazy, though, buying sets of books from the Scholastic Book order. I figure if my kids are thrilled to have books in their nighttime activity boxes, I'm cool w/that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page