Ongoing Alaska Chat-- New Thread September - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
: alaskanteach, that's awesome!
I'm not sure a Dyson is in our budget...sigh. I think we'll just keep planning to kill a vacuum a year, like a sacrifice to the evil deity of dirt.

And KAREN! Where have you been, girl? How is that fabulous little doll of yours? How is your sweet husband? I just asked where you might be a few posts ago.

Spent the day w/ the kids, teen had a sleepover last night. Played Apples to Apples with three teen girls...that was an experience!

E and M learned to needle felt today, and they took their needlefelting in the car to run errands! They are LOVING it! I was so psyched! It's wonderful to see them find new interests, and with winter coming, an indoor, crafty (and cheap) interest is wonderful news!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

My girlies took me to get my ears pierced today.

I finally did it. And I"m getting a perm on Thursday before DP comes home from Vegas on Saturday.

Ain't I the happenin' mom? (Now if I could just lose a couple zillion pounds before he comes home...)

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#123 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
: alaskanteach, that's awesome!
I'm not sure a Dyson is in our budget...sigh. I think we'll just keep planning to kill a vacuum a year, like a sacrifice to the evil deity of dirt.
Yep. Dp smokes. Vacuum doesn't. I think it's a toss up as to which will hold out longer..
#124 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:

And KAREN! Where have you been, girl? How is that fabulous little doll of yours? How is your sweet husband? I just asked where you might be a few posts ago.
Okay first... if you spend the money on the Dyson now, you won't have to spend it again Seriously... I would have my Dyson's babies if it were possible

And I've been meaning to get here. Life has just been INSANE. It seems like I spend all my time running to Anchorage trying to hire people, hiring people out here, doing orientations, doing training, etc. It seems like a never ending process. Then, ASD threw us a curve ball. Last year they told us our program was approved for the schools... so we go to get schools signed up and they tell us that yes, our program is approved, but WE aren't approved as a company to run that program in the schools : and no one can seem to tell us WHO we need to meet with to make the latter possible. Oh, and they want to charge us $250 per hour to use a classroom! (for 1 hour a week????) Yeah, we are in the business to lose 1k or so per program we run. *sigh* there is more than one way to skin a cat, and this too shall pass. It was just frustrating when we were told last year that we were ready to go.

Em is doing wonderful. She's such a joy on most days. A complete demon on others LOL! She's really enjoying her Tang Soo Do, and will be getting her Yellow Belt I think later this week or next week. She just got signed up for hockey as well. She is counting the days until the first practice.

Other than that... just trying to get ready for Winter. We bought an infared sauna and just got it all set up on the deck. Should make for a nice toasty winter. I've also decided it's finally time to paint the inside of the house (we just restained all the cedar a couple of weeks ago). I'm so tired of the contractor white... which I find really funny, because after living with paneling for so long in Fairbanks, I CRAVED white walls. Now... after 3 years of looking at it, I want some color So I got the stuff... now just have to get my butt in gear and actually do it.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#125 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Karen, I'm so psyched to see Emma when the first WAsilla or Anch Tang Soo Do meet happens! (So far, I don't know when that's planned).

Magnus is a Little Dragon, now, so his belt is yellow, too. Elliot is getting ready to test for his white stripe (green belt) and Ariadne for her white strip (brown belt). Iris is convinced she's a black belt already.

I hear you on painting. I love my log walls upstairs, but I had SO much fun painting the kids' room four different colors. Like something very Seussian. The living room is the only paneled room in the house, and I'm also working up the energy to paint...I'm thinking brick red on the lower half, off-white on the shelves that run the length of the room in the middle, and pale rose on the upper half. We'll see. Hunter green sounds nice, too, and so does bright yellow.

With a woodstove in use 8 months out of the year, I am worried about any lighter paint getting gray and ucky. So I need to buy something VERY durable and scrubbable (is that a word?).

Gotta run, Iris is needlefelting.

love, penelope

#126 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

So I mentioned my kids have discovered needlefelting in a big way. Here are some pics:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/CIMG1429.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/CIMG1424.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/CIMG1440.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/CIMG1449.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/CIMG1420.jpg

And here's the first day of wood splitting... (I did the second and third days, so there are no pics of that).

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/CIMG1363.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/CIMG1375.jpg

And the end result:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/CIMG1379.jpg
love, penelope

#127 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 10:53 PM

OMG... P!

Miss I just STEALS MY HEART!!! She is so amazingly precious and looks so much like you! M looks so adorable too... as does A! She looks so serious! E looked like he was instructing everyone The only one missing is W!

You want to teach ME how to do that? It looks like tons of fun!

#128 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 PM

okay, I have to admit I am confused...penelope, I looked at your pics (cute kiddos by the way!) and what IS needlefelting?

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#129 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 PM

ugh... I've been painting all day. I'm sooo disappointed the color I selected was suppose to be a khaki color... just a nice boring beige.

What I ended up with is something that I almost think is olive green I'm wondering if my "earth friendly" lightbulbs are making this happen, because I'm covered if what I would call a khaki... but it doesn't look that way on the walls

I spent 125 bucks on this paint. I'm using it all... I just may hate it.

#130 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Karen! I know, I can't get Ariadne to giggle for a picture these days...something about teenagerhood, I guess. And trying to get a good photo of Willow is like locating a Yeti in your front garden...it's not easy!

OH! My new favorite project: I turned my fridge into a huge picture frame...I used Mod Podge on the fridge, put on pictures, stickers, etc., and put Mod Podge over them. It dries clear and the fridge is still useable as a magnet, but I don't have to look at that nasty off-tan color any more. And Iris helped me do it, and she loves to show people the pictures and tell stories of who is in them and what they are doing.

Took all of ten minutes, except the part where I cooed and awed over pictures I hadn't looked at in forever.

Best part was that I got a great one of W and her best friend on the hammock a few weeks ago, eating HALF A WATERMELON with spoons, and I put that one slap in the middle. It's a great pic and the girls act embarrassed, but you can tell they're pretty pleased. It's neat to see pictures of all the kids' friends from 5 , 6, 7 years ago, and neat for them to come over and look around the fridge for a picture of them. (They're all there!)

love, penelope

#131 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
okay, I have to admit I am confused...penelope, I looked at your pics (cute kiddos by the way!) and what IS needlefelting?
You take stuff called wool roving...it's uncarded, dyed or undyed, wool. It's very soft. You use a needle specially made for felting, and basically poke at the wool roving until it assumes the shape you want (like the gnomes in the pics) or until it is secured to your base piece of felt (the stuff the little folks were making). You can make some gorgeous pictures on felt this way, and story board people, and all kinds of dolls, etc.

I thought I'd be terrible at it as my only crafty skill is sewing...but it's so easy and my first gnome turned out cute (it's the blue one in the picture w/ Ariadne holding the gnomes).

Here in town you can buy needlefelting supplies at a place on Alaska Way (off College Road) called A Weaver's Yarn.

We ordered ours from a place online called Paper Scissors Stone. It's really quite a cheap art activity.

love, p

#132 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
ugh... I've been painting all day. I'm sooo disappointed the color I selected was suppose to be a khaki color... just a nice boring beige.

What I ended up with is something that I almost think is olive green I'm wondering if my "earth friendly" lightbulbs are making this happen, because I'm covered if what I would call a khaki... but it doesn't look that way on the walls

I spent 125 bucks on this paint. I'm using it all... I just may hate it.
Oh, karen, I'm so sorry!

When I was in EMT class one day, I got a call at the station from one of the firefighters who was helping B paint our new bedroom. He said, "What is with all this pink???" I was confused, I'd bought peach for the bedroom. A nice, soft peach.

It was pepto pink. It still is. Damn stuff costs too much $$ to buy another round of paint. I should have painted a stripe on something at the store when I ordered it to make sure it was peach...sigh.

So I feel your pain, mama. (And take some ibuprofen, your back is going to be killing you tomorrow!)

love, p

#133 of 219 Old 09-17-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

If you scroll to the bottom of this page, there are good pics of some needle felted creations.

http://www.thesilverpenny.com/FreePr...leFelting.html

#134 of 219 Old 09-18-2008, 12:33 AM

Penelope,

Your kids are too cute!

thanks for sharing! I miss living in the woods.
#135 of 219 Old 09-18-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Tammy!

How are you feeling these days? When do you head back to Cali?

love, p (you're envious of my woods, I'm envious of your belly!)

#136 of 219 Old 09-18-2008, 01:36 AM

What fun! Cute kids and a gorgeous pile of wood. Oh I am so jealous.
#137 of 219 Old 09-18-2008, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, 1sttimestar!!! I still feel like that pile is too small...and so does DP. We'll see if we make it back out to haul another load in and split it (by hand this time, as we returned the borrowed splitter).

I am so happy I don't have to split each piece with an ax these days.

We started our first wood stove fire tonight.

Feels like the autumn is moving along toooooo fast.

love, p

#138 of 219 Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Tammy!

How are you feeling these days? When do you head back to Cali?

love, p (you're envious of my woods, I'm envious of your belly!)
I'm here now. I took the red eye out and arrived this morning at 9am.

I'll have to post another Belly pic before I pop so you can live vicariously for a few more days!
#139 of 219 Old 09-18-2008, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I'm here now. I took the red eye out and arrived this morning at 9am.

I'll have to post another Belly pic before I pop so you can live vicariously for a few more days!
:

I wrote to the company about whom you PM'd me.

I hope I can make something happen soon. I'm dying to be pregnant again.

I bet you're a gorgeous pregnant mama.

love, p

#140 of 219 Old 09-18-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
:

I wrote to the company about whom you PM'd me.

I hope I can make something happen soon. I'm dying to be pregnant again.

I bet you're a gorgeous pregnant mama.

love, p
Awesome! I hope you get some good news back.
If you need anything surrogacy related, just let me know!
Some agencies are kinda shy about Alaskans since we are SOOO far away but sometimes It just depends on what kind of Parents you are looking for. I'll keep an eye out for some Crunchy IP's for you!
#141 of 219 Old 09-20-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Oh, karen, I'm so sorry!

When I was in EMT class one day, I got a call at the station from one of the firefighters who was helping B paint our new bedroom. He said, "What is with all this pink???" I was confused, I'd bought peach for the bedroom. A nice, soft peach.

It was pepto pink. It still is. Damn stuff costs too much $$ to buy another round of paint. I should have painted a stripe on something at the store when I ordered it to make sure it was peach...sigh.

So I feel your pain, mama. (And take some ibuprofen, your back is going to be killing you tomorrow!)

love, p
It was the light bulbs!!! : I had him take out those new fangled bulbs and put in the old fashioned ones and it khaki'd right up I have to say I think I love it. I've been putting in about 10 hours a day for the last 3 days and I've done everything but the kitchen. Who knew a house so small would take so freaking long to paint. We have rounded corners, which make taping a complete nightmare and texture on the walls as well, so all the detail work is very slow going. I'm hoping to finish the kitchen this weekend. (again, a million little detail areas.

#142 of 219 Old 09-20-2008, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yay, Karen!!! How awesome that it's turning out the way you want it!

love, p

#143 of 219 Old 09-20-2008, 03:01 PM

Oooh! It froze here last night... time to pick cranberries!!!!!! Yay for winter!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#144 of 219 Old 09-20-2008, 04:57 PM

No 1st frost for us yet but LOTS of termination dust!:
#145 of 219 Old 09-20-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

I. AM. CRANKY.

Grrrrr. Took the kids to yoga this morning. We were in the middle of a big lesson on Roman history when E says, "Mom, when's *my* yoga class?" It was 9:27 and his age class begins at 10am.

Soooo, we all zoomed around, got there in time, and all 3 little ones did yoga together. They were the only kids there! This was all good, I wasn't cranky yet.

Then was A's teen yoga class. I took the rest of the crew to the FM to buy apples and finally caught the apple guy. I can't find my WIC FM checks anywhere , so I ended up buying $20 of apples w/ cash.

Then garlic rolls, popcorn, and one of those cherry cake/pie things the lady from Delta makes, because we have a party to go to tonight, DH comes home tonight, and I have enough on my plate right now so I'm not cooking!

Pick up the kid from yoga, go to Fred's, talk about whether there is karate today, and just start feeling overwhelmed and cranky.

Get home, tell the kids they aren't allowed in the house, and start rearranging furniture.

Of course, rearranging means I find out how much of a disaster the kids' room *really* is, and every little task turns into fifteen more tasks...

and I'm cranky.

I feel like a heel, crabbing at the kids. It's chilly out, and they're still feeling like 50F is too cold , so they've all come and begged to come in at least once. Which makes me crankier.

Some days I need a nice rock under which I can hide.

love, p

#146 of 219 Old 09-20-2008, 10:36 PM

Oh, I feel for you. I can't wait until the kids think 50 is warm. I get so used to them being outside for so much of the day and when we came back from MIchigan, they just can't seem to stay out for more than an hour without coming in.

I'm rather bummed as I'm going to take Autumn out of tap lessons. The child has such attitude and I can't seem to get through to her. So, we're trying a break from tap. If her attitude gets better this semester we'll try again after Christmas. Sometimes I really don't like being the mommy -- I'd much rather be the aunt who can spoil them.

But the foilage is gorgeous! I still kind of miss my red maples, but it is beautiful outside.
#147 of 219 Old 09-21-2008, 12:35 AM

Hey, any Anchorage area meet ups? From the look of things ya'll are from Fairbanks.

Newly single mama to DS 4/20/2005. Recently back from ALASKA.
#148 of 219 Old 09-21-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian Squash View Post
Hey, any Anchorage area meet ups? From the look of things ya'll are from Fairbanks.
There are a bunch of us from the Anchorage & Mat-su area.

Penelope... I TOTALLY feel you today! Em was so insanely trying today that I ended up sending her to bed an hour early and just having a good cry. I love her to death, but some days she just pushes and pushes and pushes and pushes boundaries and my patience... and then Dad comes home and it takes him all of 5 minutes to blow up over the "attitude" and things just got ugly. I wish I could figure out the balance of letting her express and show her independence without so much banging of heads. It's like she finds the one area that I don't have a lot of wiggle room with (being respectful) and focuses on trying to push that boundary all day. *sigh* I suspect a good nights sleep for both of us will bring renewed energy for tomorrow.

#149 of 219 Old 09-21-2008, 03:24 AM

there are a couple of us from Anchorage here.
I am but unfortunately I am in California right now. I'll be back in 2 weeks!
#150 of 219 Old 09-21-2008, 02:31 PM

Anchorage Take the family to the Huffman Family Fun Run next Sat! It's for elem aged kids and only 2k around the school & park. Lots of fun, very low key. Kids get a medal & most families stay to hang out and play afterwards.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page