Ongoing Alaska Chat-- New Thread September - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 219 Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Yippiiiii! Congratulations on the new house. It snowed here yesterday/last night.
no way!! I'm so jealous! It was freaken 90 here today! I dont like the heat. Give me some:anytime! I am a layer gal! Flannel, coats, boots! Bring it on!
#182 of 219 Old 09-29-2008, 01:31 AM

I'm sooo not ready for snow. My bones are achy already

On another note, is anybody else just ready for this election to be OVER? I'm starting to get really saddened at how all the politics are ripping friendships apart. My "mama's group" have been fiercely fighting with each other over it, and it just makes me sad. Literally, friendships are ending... over presidential candidates. I hate politics

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#183 of 219 Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
:

Personally, I don't see the point of improving penmanship. By age 15, it's really a choice--and besides, all papers in college (and most notes, for that matter!) are typed. So really her handwriting is for herself, kwim? -- but that is just my personal opinion!

Yay Tammy!
ditto, I think that at this point the motivation for something like improved penmanship has to come from within. save your battle for algebra!
#184 of 219 Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 AM

Ugh, snow! I'm already missing the humid Indian summer here in VT. But oh well. I'll be back Weds. I hope I remember how to drive on ice!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#185 of 219 Old 09-29-2008, 02:12 PM

I'm not quite ready for snow. My kids need boots, and Aiden needs pants and gloves. I'm not having any luck finding boots at a price I like that my kids are willing to wear. And poor Aiden really wants gloves but I can't find any that fit him. He's going to get stuck with mittens again this year I think.
#186 of 219 Old 09-29-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I'm not quite ready for snow. My kids need boots, and Aiden needs pants and gloves. I'm not having any luck finding boots at a price I like that my kids are willing to wear. And poor Aiden really wants gloves but I can't find any that fit him. He's going to get stuck with mittens again this year I think.
I'm not sure what price you are looking to pay, but I just got Em some boots from Lands End for 29 dollars, and they are waterproof and appear to be pretty toasty. The bonus for her is that they are penguins... as in the foot of the boot looks like a penguin face.

Em had tons of problems with being in between mittens/gloves and I got her a bunch of those stretchy gloves (I think they are 3 bucks for 3 pairs??) I sprayed them with some waterproofer and we just changed them often. It wasn't the best solution, but it helped a little. Whenever she was going to be out long term, she had to succumb to the mittens.

#187 of 219 Old 10-01-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
alaskaberry

The biggest issue is her defiance and rudeness.
When I was 15 I threw a piece of lettuce at my mom at the dinner table in front of company. I also called the cops on her for "being mean." I was the epitome of defiance and rudeness. As a parent now, I am completely embarassed by my behavior. I was so grumpy and rude! Just thinking about it makes me want to slap myself.

While I wouldn't say my mom and I are best friends now, we do get a long pretty good and I rely on her for a lot. She is the first person I call for support and advice, and she has a wonderful relationship with my kids.

So hopefully you can take some comfort in the potential future relationship you may have with your daughter. I have boys, and sometimes I am very sad that I won't have that special mother daughter relationship that I now have with my mom...
#188 of 219 Old 10-01-2008, 02:53 PM

We found out -- we're having a girl!!!!!!! :

She's due 2/20/09, and my birthday is 2/15, so maybe I'll get a baby for a birthday present!

We haven't decided on a name, but we know her middle name will be Rose, after my late mama.

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#189 of 219 Old 10-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post

She's due 2/20/09, and my birthday is 2/15, so maybe I'll get a baby for a birthday present!

We haven't decided on a name, but we know her middle name will be Rose, after my late mama.

Congrats!!!!!

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#190 of 219 Old 10-01-2008, 05:58 PM

My Surro baby was born Monday Sept, 29th!
She was 7lbs 1oz and named Ana.

Here are some pics for you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...w/babyana8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ept2908049.jpg
#191 of 219 Old 10-01-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:

:Yeah for girls!
#192 of 219 Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
We found out -- we're having a girl!!!!!!!
Yay! : congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
My Surro baby was born Monday Sept, 29th!
She was 7lbs 1oz and named Ana.
You make such beautiful healthy babies!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#193 of 219 Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 PM

Girls are so fun Crystal. Congratulations.

Congratulations Tammy. Yes she is gorgeous. How did your birth go? Hope you are well.
#194 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Tammy!!!!!!

You had the baby??? WOW, you could have, like, you know, told us (while you were in the throes of contractions ).

She is gorgeous!

How are YOU feeling?

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#195 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Had to add, that Tammy. if that baby is only 7 lbs, she's already adept at faking scale weight. She looks like such a chunky monkey!!

And this one was obviously not born in the shower, eh? Tell us!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#196 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 12:43 AM

Tammy... she's so beautiful! Good job mama You give such an AMAZING gift!!!

#197 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 03:07 AM

to be honest ladies, i had a c-section. While doing the surgery the OB accidently poked a hole in my uterus. She said it was very thin and nothing like that had ever happened to her before. She advised me that my uterus was very "tired".
the recovery has been a lot rougher then expected and I often think I made a very unwise decision but in the end I did what I had to do, to put my family first and if that means I must endure this pain, I will.
She is a gorgeous thing, ain't she? She was to tiny in comparison to the last 2! I will be coming home on Friday. I look forward to some snow, and cool weather!
#198 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, Tammy! :

I am so so sorry for your pain and the OB's "accident."

You have given so many people (parents, kids, grandparents, community members, neighbors, friends, teachers, nurses, docs, you name it!) such a wonderful gift with your surrogacy dedication.

I am in awe of you.

I wish you'd moved closer so I could bring you some food.

love, p

#199 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 03:54 AM

Congrats to both of y'all on the baby girls!!

Tammy, I hope you recovery goes well. I'm not actually in Anchorage, but I'm not that far away, either. I could bring something down that way if you need anything.
#200 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 03:57 AM

Oh Tammy. What happened? I wish you a speedy recovery as well as lots of rest and peace of mind and heart.
#201 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Congrats to both of y'all on the baby girls!!

Tammy, I hope you recovery goes well. I'm not actually in Anchorage, but I'm not that far away, either. I could bring something down that way if you need anything.
ITA! I'm also out in the Valley, but my hubby is in Anchorage all the time. If you need ANYTHING, it's nothing for me to ride along with him.

#202 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Oh Tammy. What happened? I wish you a speedy recovery as well as lots of rest and peace of mind and heart.
you are all so kind and supportive. This past surrogacy has been very rough and my relationship with the IP's was very difficult. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome guys, wonderful daddies but we had a lot of ups and downs. They were very unwilling to compromise when I had to move back to Alaska so it caused a lot of issues between us. I had to deliver the baby in California and with 4 kids in school and a Hubby who works 60 hours a week, this trip was EXTREMELY difficult to pull off. I had NO support from my IP's with it (financially or emotionally, or physically) and in fact they were trying to demand I was here in California at 34 weeks until birth. I ended up breaching my contract so I could come at a more reasonable time (37weeks)
We could only get help with the kids for 4 weeks as well.
So, in the end I made the extremely difficult decision to have a scheduled c-section so we KNEW when the birth would happen and when I could return home.

so that is the gist of the story
#203 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Oh Tammy... I'm so very sorry I'm sorry they were so difficult I can't imagine being so unflexible with someone who was giving me such an enormous gift.

Again, you are an AMAZING woman! I wish you a quick recovery.

#204 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 06:00 PM

Just wanted to send a hug, that must have been a very difficult decision to make, shame on them for putting you in such a position! I wish you a swift recovery and a safe trip home.

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#205 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Tammy,

Sorry to hear of such a difficult decision you had to make. Take care of yourself, I wish you a speedy recovery.
#206 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 07:00 PM

I'm okay. Painful physically but emotionally okay.
When the OB was pushing out the placenta, her thumb went though my uterus, she had to repair that hole as well. She told me my uterus was very "tired". I wish she would have said something at the time instead of waiting 2 days. I was going to have my tubes tied but changed my mind a week before the surgery. But if she has said something during the surgery, I could have at least had the opportunity to rethink the tubal. Now, I will forever wonder if something will happen if I were to get pregnant again. I dont have any plans to do so in the near future but...................well, you know. What if?? There will ALWAYS be a fear now.
Also, it leaves me with tons of questions! What if I HAD labored and my uterus was that thin and worn out? What if I had opted for an induction?? maybe the c-section was not a bad idea.

Anyway, I leave here tomorrow am and should be in town by dinner! I'm just thrilled to be going home. I have a new house and of course my family cannot wait!
#207 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I'm okay. Painful physically but emotionally okay.
When the OB was pushing out the placenta, her thumb went though my uterus, she had to repair that hole as well. She told me my uterus was very "tired". I wish she would have said something at the time instead of waiting 2 days. I was going to have my tubes tied but changed my mind a week before the surgery. But if she has said something during the surgery, I could have at least had the opportunity to rethink the tubal. Now, I will forever wonder if something will happen if I were to get pregnant again. I dont have any plans to do so in the near future but...................well, you know. What if?? There will ALWAYS be a fear now.
Also, it leaves me with tons of questions! What if I HAD labored and my uterus was that thin and worn out? What if I had opted for an induction?? maybe the c-section was not a bad idea.

Anyway, I leave here tomorrow am and should be in town by dinner! I'm just thrilled to be going home. I have a new house and of course my family cannot wait!
I'm so sorry about the whole turn of events. I ended up having a tubal after I was told my uterus was "incompetent" and that I would never be able to carry another pregnancy to term (I started labor at 21 weeks and was able to keep her put until 37 weeks on complete bedrest) and I wish a million times over that I would have NOT had that tubal. I ended up with adenomyosis and TLS (tubal ligation syndrome). It started with much heavier periods and some pretty strong cramps to being curled in a ball eating narcotics for 3 weeks of every month by the time dd was 18 months old. I had a hysterectomy shortly before her 2nd birthday. If I would have never had the tubal, I likely would have never had any of those complications

#208 of 219 Old 10-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Does anyone know if this is some sort of allergy season here? I'm allergic to mold, fungus, dogs, dust mites, and some sort of tree... but really don't remember it being anything that we have here.

At any rate... I've been having horrible headaches the last couple of days and my sinuses feel stuffy (I'm thining a sinus headache) which usually comes when I'm exposed to stuff (like my dogs getting in my face) but I can't imagine this time of year vegetation would be an issue?

#209 of 219 Old 10-03-2008, 12:22 AM

Do you get the NAB bulletins? We're still getting them but I've stopped reading as trees & grass are moot. Subscribe--they'll send a report every couple of days w/the local levels.
#210 of 219 Old 10-03-2008, 02:10 AM

So, the Discovery Chanel called me. Yea seriously! And the funny thing is, they called my office. I don't post my office number in my doula advertisements, only my home number. Anyways, I was in testing from 1-5 so the guy had to leave a voice mail but he said something about the Home to Baby show and that he wanted to talk to me about my being a doula and homebirth in Alaska. As a homebirthing doula that sounds wildly attractive. Does anyone know about this show? Is it a real show? I don't have cable and have never heard of it. Maybe it's new. I might have gotten the name wrong as I couldn't hear that part very well. Guess I'll go look on their site before I call him back tomorrow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page