Ongoing Alaska Chat-- New Thread September - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 219 Old 09-03-2008, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey, gals. I am very sorry for the way my comments in the last thread came out. I definitely should have stepped away from the computer and come back with a cooler head.

It's definitely Autumn! Our trees have all turned gorgeous yellows and mushrooms abound. Wow, what a year for mushrooms and berries!

We're spending the day splitting wood-- I am trying to instill a sense of gratitude in my kids, and sometimes it's so so so hard. We are incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to have so much wood (we still have a few more trips to Cash Creek to go, but still), and a friend loaned us his wood splitter, so we don't have to split it by hand any more (. My 15 yo, however, is finding it very tough to be grateful, and I find that sad.

Even tiny little Iris is out there hauling wood with everyone else! It's amazing!

My big, beautiful 12 yo will have her 13th birthday this weekend. I'm so proud of her, and every time I think of how she's changed and become this unbelievably gorgeous young woman, I want to cry. Thirteen!

Anyway, back to the wood splitting. Enjoy the beautiful weather!

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 219 Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maybe we should keep these threads shorter...like a monthly thread or a quarterly one?

I missed the comments, but I do think that we need to remember the UA and remember that we do not all feel the same on many issues.

We have a 10x25 lots of white raspberries and they are in abundance right now. It is so nice to go out and eat right off the bush. Yum!
#3 of 219 Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 PM

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh
I have nothing to say!
Just couldn't resist all this virgin space :
Okay, well, the weather is odd. I did a long bike tonight between work and kid p/u and one side (the mts) looked phenomenally bright & clear and the other side was black & closed. So, yeah, we rode into the black and got drenched.

Where's the Termination Dust?!?!?!!?

Oooh got some Icebug shoes. : Ladies who walk/run here in the winter...get thee to Amazon for $100 OFF sale.
#4 of 219 Old 09-03-2008, 11:51 PM

at first I was happy that I was going to Vermont for September, now I am sad! I miss the sunshine and the leaves! Not that it's not nice here--it isn't! 80 degrees and humid as Hades. But at least gas is cheaper! :

I missed the last few pages...I take it there was a big fight about She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. I did NOT know she was so right-wing...wow. Alright, that's enough about that...how was everyone's Labor Day weekend?

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#5 of 219 Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 AM

How was my Labor Day weekend? Great until Tuesday, though not sure that really counts as the weekend. We just got back from 3 weeks in Michigan and while it was wonderful to see family (including my new nephew who was born while I was there), it definitely could've been a better trip. We found out that Natalie is allergic to watermelon and at least one thing that grows in Michigan that doesn't grow here in the Valley. But she is not allergic to bees. At least, not at the moment. None of her reactions were serious, but they were consistent enough and bothersome enough to ruin her sleep for the whole trip. I think we got about 3 good nights of sleep.

Spent today getting ready for school and I still don't have everything. We're starting Monday even if we don't have it all. We're already behind schedule and we might be moving in April, so gotta get going.

Must say, I was pleasantly surprised at the weather here at home, though. I figured with as cool as the summer's been it would be much cooler after 3 weeks that it is.
#6 of 219 Old 09-04-2008, 03:29 AM

aw man I missed the drama!? dang.

I'm loving this weather.. crisp air, sunny skies and the leaves turning.. mmmmm my favorite season.

Question: (that's my Dwight Shrute impression. )
Is this a good time to go high bush cranberry picking or do I wait a bit longer?

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#7 of 219 Old 09-04-2008, 03:41 PM

I totally missed all the excitment and then the mods shut the thread down.

Well, it's nice to be back with you all.

I dont see any leaves changing colors here yet.
But Good News!!! We are buying a house! So we have made a commitment to stay here until our highschooler graduates! (4 years if not longer) that is HUGE for us!
#8 of 219 Old 09-04-2008, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ladies,
Quote:
Do not post to debate or challenge the MDC User Agreement, the moderators, administrators, or their actions. Constructive criticism and questions for purposes of clarification are best addressed directly to the moderator or administrator by private message or personal e-mail. If this is not successful, see Recourse.
If you have questions or concerns, PM me. Thanks!

ETA: This is mostly a reminder and partly refers to posts that have already been removed. Please PM ME with questions or concerns.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 219 Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Tammy, a house! Congratulations! I've lost track, with all your bouncing around, where exactly *are* you now?

I think it's a good time to pick high bush cranberries, Stephanie. Ours are *everywhere* and are very ripe. It depends on their sun and shade factors. We also have a ton of rose hips, which I think we're going to turn into our next project as soon as we finish splitting the wood. (B is on duty today, so I'm trying to finish all the wood splitting and restacking before he gets home tomorrow).

Anyway, in the next few days I think we're going to collect both high bush cranberries and rosehips and make some jams. Maybe we'll try some syrupy potions or something. With as much peanut butter and jelly as my kids eat, and as much as they like preserves on their waffles, I think we owe it to ourselves to get out and take advantage of the free food on our property.

I'm already thinking about next year's gardening season and what I'm going to do differently...and I'll be darned if I'm not going to finally grow some tomatoes that aren't GREEN next year!

Back to the wood splitter!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#10 of 219 Old 09-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Spruce,

we have landed in Anchorage.

Gee, I am envious of all you with fresh berries in your yards and neighborhoods! With the cost of gas, we found it cheaper to buy blueberries then to pick them. so sad.
But I WILL be planting some raspberry bushes in our new yard!!!
#11 of 219 Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 PM

I can't afford to drive up to Hatcher's Pass this year in hopes of blueberries and don't know of anywhere closer to home. I am seriously considering going over to Pyrah's to pick some raspberries, though. Going to have to call and see what else they have for picking right now, though, because I don't want to drive over just for berries. Last year we got beans, peas, and potatoes from there, but I don't remember when it was we went.

I'm excited though -- we're looking to go down to Seward next month. We've not been before. We've been here 2 1/2 years and hardly gone anywhere. Andrew wants to drive up to the North Pole, but I don't like the idea of spending that much time in the truck with Natalie. The older two do fine on longer trips, but Natalie's limit is about an hour and a half.
#12 of 219 Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

I think that, with all the rain we got here in the interior, and the shorter, colder days, the growing season this year just stunk.

We were so psyched because the "apple guy" usually comes to the Farmer's Market--he grows apple trees way out Chena Hot Springs road. This year, no apple guy. My allergic 12yo can eat his apples, so we saved a bunch of moolah to buy quite a few $10 bags, but no go.

I wish I knew more about mushrooms, as we have had a blooming mushroom season this year. I'm looking forward to dividends so I can spend some on books, like a "Mushrooms of Alaska" book I found at Gulliver's that I wish I'd had a few months ago!!

What I find really hilarious is that the amanitas that always pop up next to our swing set are gone, but none of the edible mushrooms are being eaten...I wonder what happened to them? (No, don't worry, my kids didn't eat them ).

Oh, I did it! I got all the wood split before B got home today! I am just so frigging sore! But my 7yo, bless his heart, got up with me at zero-dark-thirty, skipped his normal huge breakfast and just had a yogurt, and went straight to working on the wood pile with me. Oh, I'm so lucky!

love, p

#13 of 219 Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 PM

I am going to be SOOOOO exicted to leave this neighborhood! First kids steal my DD's MP3 player right from her hands. Took 2 weeks to get that back with a lot of threats from a very angry father.
Now we suspect those same group of kids stole my kids bikes! Can you believe it??? What is wrong with kids and their parents now days???

Ugh.
#14 of 219 Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Dividend info is out!

$2,069 dividend, plus $1200 resource rebate = $3,269!

love, p

#15 of 219 Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
I think that, with all the rain we got here in the interior, and the shorter, colder days, the growing season this year just stunk.

We were so psyched because the "apple guy" usually comes to the Farmer's Market--he grows apple trees way out Chena Hot Springs road. This year, no apple guy. My allergic 12yo can eat his apples, so we saved a bunch of moolah to buy quite a few $10 bags, but no go.

I wish I knew more about mushrooms, as we have had a blooming mushroom season this year. I'm looking forward to dividends so I can spend some on books, like a "Mushrooms of Alaska" book I found at Gulliver's that I wish I'd had a few months ago!!

What I find really hilarious is that the amanitas that always pop up next to our swing set are gone, but none of the edible mushrooms are being eaten...I wonder what happened to them? (No, don't worry, my kids didn't eat them ).

Oh, I did it! I got all the wood split before B got home today! I am just so frigging sore! But my 7yo, bless his heart, got up with me at zero-dark-thirty, skipped his normal huge breakfast and just had a yogurt, and went straight to working on the wood pile with me. Oh, I'm so lucky!

love, p
Definitely get a mushroom book! We found a nice Ukrainian lady in Delta who taught us all about wild mushrooms and took us mushroom hunting. I still remember which ones are edible.
#16 of 219 Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I am going to be SOOOOO exicted to leave this neighborhood! First kids steal my DD's MP3 player right from her hands. Took 2 weeks to get that back with a lot of threats from a very angry father.
Now we suspect those same group of kids stole my kids bikes! Can you believe it??? What is wrong with kids and their parents now days???

Ugh.
Oh, Tammy, I am so sorry. I really don't understand so much of how the world works sometimes.

We're seeing more and more gang violence here, and I really do believe it begins with uninvolved parents and bored kids. Sadly, these same uninvolved parents are the ones screaming for bigger malls and more video games places for their kids, instead of buying them skis or teaching them to hike and fish. Sad.

I hope your new house is awesome! (And as stress-free as new house hunting and buying can be!)

love, p

#17 of 219 Old 09-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Dividend info is out!

$2,069 dividend, plus $1200 resource rebate = $3,269!

love, p

speaking of PFD's

Quote:
The appeals process can take months or even a year before a decision is made. Please be advised that appeals are now working on appeals received prior to November 2007. It is unknown when your appeal will be assigned or reviewed. Please keep your contact information current in case they need to contact you.
So since we sent ours in in August 2008, I am assuming this means we wont see anything until next year sometime.
:
#18 of 219 Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 PM

thanks spruce!

If all goes well, DH will be moving us in at the end of hte month! Whooo Hooo!!

Did you hear what happened in Delta? I guess it was all over the news yesterday. Some sort of shoot out or something at the Texaco.

I will search around for more info.
#19 of 219 Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
thanks spruce!

If all goes well, DH will be moving us in at the end of hte month! Whooo Hooo!!

Did you hear what happened in Delta? I guess it was all over the news yesterday. Some sort of shoot out or something at the Texaco.

I will search around for more info.
Can you give me a hint where around Anch you're going to be? My brother lives there, and my best friend, and my dad did 'til he passed on.

We're heading down that way right after dividends come. (In a few weeks). Doing some school shopping!

I didn't hear anything on the news yesterday, 'til I got about two minutes of McCain's speech. I was out with the wood splitter until after bed time!

love, p

#20 of 219 Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Tammy, from what I can see w/out registering at ADN, there was a shootout at a gas station in Delta, and the gunman was arrested w/out any injuries.

p

#21 of 219 Old 09-06-2008, 01:01 AM

Right now we live in Midtown, just off C and 36th. But I wont be here after the 13th. I will be in California
After I get back we are moving into our new house which is ont he East side off Northern Lights, near Muldoon.
#22 of 219 Old 09-06-2008, 01:11 AM

Hi ladies! Mmmm, new thread smell!

Totally OT here, but, anyone know where to get fresh eggs in Anchorage?
#23 of 219 Old 09-06-2008, 01:32 AM

Not in Anchorage, no. I know a great place here in the Valley, but you probably don't want to drive to Wasilla for eggs. I would try contacting the 4-H club and see if there are any teenagers that raise chickens and sell the eggs. We get ours from a girl who shows chickens for 4-H. They are expensive, though. If you have the space and know you'll be around for awhile, you might do better to just get your own chickens. Get half a dozen chickens and you'll probably get about 3 eggs a day, maybe more.

Oh. Thought I would throw this out for the teachers and homeschoolers here. Barnes and Noble has an educator's discount. Free to sign up and you get 20% off. Unfortunately you can only use it in the store, not online.

And does anyone happen to know a good brand of boots that come in wide width? Not necessarily snow boots, but they do need to be winter boots, if that makes sense.
#24 of 219 Old 09-06-2008, 01:38 AM

Just fyi since I know you have a really bad take on Anch but I'd consider
"East side off Northern Lights, near Muldoon. " pretty rough. Not representative of the town as a whole

Eggs---pm me if you live near south anch. We love : our fresh eggs.
#25 of 219 Old 09-06-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
"East side off Northern Lights, near Muldoon. " pretty rough. Not representative of the town as a whole

Oh, I dunno, I live off N. Lights and Wesleyan and I find it rather charming. :

PM'd ya.
#26 of 219 Old 09-06-2008, 01:54 AM

Big area I taught over there for awhile...yeah, big area! Big town... hehe

PM'd ya back...
*yawn*
#27 of 219 Old 09-06-2008, 01:57 AM

spruce I saw the apple guy on Wed. at the market and he said he'd be back on Saturday too!

tammy, omg that would make me so furious! what is wrong with people???

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#28 of 219 Old 09-06-2008, 05:01 PM

What a gorgeous day! I hope the sunshine/blue skies hold so we can go to Denali next weekend. It's my favorite time of year to visit. It's like "fall in a snapshot."
#29 of 219 Old 09-06-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post

And does anyone happen to know a good brand of boots that come in wide width? Not necessarily snow boots, but they do need to be winter boots, if that makes sense.
If you are talking MENS boots, my DH swears by Georgia brand.

I like the Caterpillar brand, I wear mine all winter long. They are insulated. More like work boots though.
#30 of 219 Old 09-06-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post

I'm not sure how to describe the areas around town here.

We picked a nice neighborhood near Scenic Park elementary school. The house is behind the school on James. (off patterson) It seems great thus far. Very quiet.

I KNOW rough and here in Midtown it is worse then California. bad bad bad, I cannot wait to move!

I can see now that there are some great parts of Anchorage. I wish we had tons of money, I would get some land up in the Bear Valley or Indian Valley areas! Whoo, those are nice!

We looked a TONS of houses and neighborhood was BIG on our list.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page