Fairbanks schools question: (TIA!) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so if we hypothetically moved to Fairbanks and bought a house in the Lathrop HS region, (is it "region"?), but wanted our kids to go to West Valley HS, could we just drive them, or are you required to send your kids to the school in your geographic area?

All hypothetical... we may or may not move and our kids aren't even elementary aged!

TIA for any help!
#2 of 9 Old 09-12-2008, 12:07 PM

I teach at West Valley and it totally depends on the year. Right now our school is closed to out of area students (it has been for a few years) because we are pretty full. The school isn't always full, but to be safe you could always just buy (or rent) a house in our area. I love this school, we have a young, energetic staff and our new (this is her second year) principal is AMAZING! :::: I live out in goldstream valley and it is out of town, but still only a 10 minute drive to the school for me in the morning. It is a great area and our new community park with ball fields is nearly done!

Good luck!

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#3 of 9 Old 09-12-2008, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

oh, thanks! DH is loving the Gilmore Trail area (Lathrop track), but we both love Goldstream (when I was young and single I literally lived behind (and quite often in) Ivory Jack's)... I seem to recall that West Valley was a very good school (love that they have a super awesome xcountry team).
#4 of 9 Old 09-12-2008, 03:06 PM

I don't blame you for wanting to send your kiddos to West. When I was in high school I lived on the east side but made the trek across town to West Valley. I really enjoyed that school. Of course it wasn't as big and fancy back then. I'm kinda envious of that shiny new building they have.

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#5 of 9 Old 09-12-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I guess now is the time to think about it even though our kids are 2 and under... wouldn't want to have to move again in ten or so years to ensure that we get the school we want, yk?
#6 of 9 Old 09-13-2008, 11:36 PM

We also live in the valley (near Mamatoni). Remember that there's also Hutchison Institute of Technology available now. It's a really great resource for this community of pilots, truck drivers, builders, and other craftspeople. My daughter attended last year and loved it.

Penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#7 of 9 Old 09-14-2008, 01:45 AM

2 years ago, we lived on Chena Pump Road and our DD was in the Lathrop High/Ryan middle school. If we wanted her to attend the other highschool, we only needed to bring her to the school ourselves or take her to the Bus stop that picked up the West kids (about 4 miles from our house, which was on the way to the school anyway)

I have heard West is a good school and it is right next door to the Hutch, like Penelope mentioned. I think that is a GREAT school!
#8 of 9 Old 09-14-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
2 years ago, we lived on Chena Pump Road and our DD was in the Lathrop High/Ryan middle school. If we wanted her to attend the other highschool, we only needed to bring her to the school ourselves or take her to the Bus stop that picked up the West kids (about 4 miles from our house, which was on the way to the school anyway)

I have heard West is a good school and it is right next door to the Hutch, like Penelope mentioned. I think that is a GREAT school!
The problem with that was that they've had years where their enrollment (in-district) has gone above estimates, and they've told these hapless students from other districts: so sorry, go back to your own school, we don't want you here. It was horrible!

So there's always that to consider...that just because there's room before the Oct count date, doesn't mean there will be room after. And by then, your child has had time to assimilate, make friends, join clubs, etc.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#9 of 9 Old 09-15-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!

That's what I want to avoid: getting my kids in a group of friends in first grade through 8th, and then moving them to a different HS when it's time, so then they have to make different friends, then being told I have to send them to our area HS and then they have to make all new friends again. I may be overthinking things, but I'd rather they stay with the same group of kids from K-12 if possible. (That's what I got to do and it was great.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page