Stuff Happening in Fairbanks Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-13-2008, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, all. I just wanted to start a thread to let those with info about goings-on around town have a place to share that info.

My 13 yo went to a Youngun's Yoga class today from 11:15 to 12:15. She had a lot of fun and it looked like a very involved class (a bit of the giggles, but that's to be expected with a room full of 12 and up girls ). They're located in the Artisan's Plaza on College Road and there are a LOT of other studios and classes there all week long. Most of them are "drop in and pay as you go" type classes, which suits our budget and our schedule right now.

Anyone else with info on classes, plays, auditions, camps, lectures, movies, or other happenings in and around town, please feel free to post them here!

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#2 of 9 Old 09-14-2008, 01:41 AM

Ah that new building was beautiful when they were building it! sounds awesome!!!
#3 of 9 Old 09-14-2008, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, Tammy, it is SO gorgeous now!

/sadly, it does remind me of how Whole Earth built and built and built and got out of their element, but THIS building is more than one business, and just SINGS hope!

I was excited to find that I can wait for Dd to finish yoga while the kids are engaged in stuff I bring for them...because the yoga class has huge windows, great soundproofing, and there is a long bench and a large semi-circular couch outside the studios. I was worried about our noise factor.

FWIW, those interested in martial arts lessons, our Tang Soo Do studio has just begun new classes, and those interested can still meet with the instructors (the mom and dad who teache the littler ones have the MOST black belts in this art in one family in the WORLD), and find out if the month of FREE lessons is something they're interested in.
It's Fairbanks Tang Soo Do, in the Chena Pump Plaza (off Chena Pump and the Parks Highway), and my goodness, we LOVE the instructors!

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#4 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

When:
Thursday, Sept 25, 5pm,

Where:
Noel Wien Library,

What:
Teen Library Meeting. Planning session for the first special event of the season.

Who:
Kids in grades 7-12.

Food, drinks, bring snacks to share if you like.

My girls have been involved in the teen library group since it was begun last year and have LOVED every minute of it. The kids themselves have some awesome ideas for this school year already in the works. Hope to see you there!

Penelope

#5 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

What:

Homeschool swimming.

Where: Wescott Pool in North Pole.

When: Wednesdays from 11:15 to 12:15 (doors open for HSers at 11 in order to change and are re-locked by 12:30, no dallying!)

How much: Usual pool fees apply.

This is not an instructed event. It's purely for fun, although you can of course use the time in instructing your own kids.

love, penelope

#6 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 01:32 AM

We are doing a Karaoke Benefit for The Adult Learning Programs of Alaska. There will also be a silent auction and we have gotten some really great donations including a fly in, overnight, fishing trip, and a dog mushing tour. Of course, I donated a $50 henna as well. It's on Thurs. from 7-10 at the Silver Spur. 21 and over of course. I know most of you don't go "out on the town" but if you want a great opportunity to support your community, or just to meet me come on out lol. If you want to sing, I suggest you get a corporate sponsor as it is $100 entry fee.

Also, if you watch Channel 11 you may see me in our new commercials for ALPA. I'm the one with long, used-to-be-blond hair. There is also going to be a story about us in the News Miner in the next day or so.
#7 of 9 Old 09-23-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Teen Library Group Update

This is from an email one of my teens received:

Here’s a general outline of what’s planned for this fall. The library will supply the pizza to go with each of these programs.
Friday, October 24th, 7pm, auditorium - Pizza and Books and Costumes
Friday, November 14th, 7pm, auditorium – Pizza and Games
Friday, December 12th, 7pm, auditorium – Pizza and a Movie

We’ve also set aside the following dates for PLANNING these programs. Thursday nights seemed to be the nights most folks could come, so all the meetings are on Thursday nights at 5 pm in the library conference room. Teens will supply the snacks for these meetings:
Thursday, September 25th, 5 pm, conference room – planning for October (books) & November (games) programs.
Thursday, October 30th, 5 pm, conference room – planning for December movie program

We hope to see you and your friends and other teens at these meetings and programs. If you have questions in the meantime, please give us a call at 459-1052,

love, p

#8 of 9 Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 PM

What: Calypso Farm Dinner
When Saturday Sept 27th 2008 (this sat!)
Where: Pikes landing restaurant
How Much: Tickets are $20 and can be bought at gullivers books

Doors open at 4:30 there will be live and silent auctions and of course food

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#9 of 9 Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, onyxravnos, that sounds wonderful!!!

love, p

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page