what are your favorite winter toddler clothes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-14-2008, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What has worked best for you and why?
Last year (ds 18 months) we loved our choices - Padraigs and Mukluks by the Fbnks co I can't remember the name (walked into a half off sale at Blueberry Baby), Rock Pillars snowsuit (thanks Grandma), mitts from Big Ray, fleece scarf, columbia fleece cap with velcro closure under chin + fleece lined wool hat (Activ8?)
btw Big Ray's tent sale is now, same w Prospectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 09-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Padraig booties
handmade wool hat
boots from yard sale
and snow pants/coat from fred meyers, half off

this year he has a carhartt jacket that will finally fit him--needs snow pants and new boots, though.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#3 of 14 Old 09-14-2008, 03:45 PM

Hands down...Nomar out of Homer.

Oh and we did down booties and overmitts when the kids were too little to walk & keep warm on their own--from MEC in Canada.
#4 of 14 Old 09-14-2008, 07:18 PM

We bought Active 8 and I thought those were really good.

NOt sure what to get this year.
How is Anchroage winter? Is it moist? Should I get winter coats with waterprooofing? Or just to fight the cold???
#5 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
We bought Active 8 and I thought those were really good.

NOt sure what to get this year.
How is Anchroage winter? Is it moist? Should I get winter coats with waterprooofing? Or just to fight the cold???
Yes, you will want something that fights the wet as well as the cold. You might not need it until the thaw, but at least you'll have it.

We usually get coats from Lands End or LL Bean. We have had a variety of snow pants, but the best ones we had were Columbia and Osh Kosh. This year we have a one pair from Lands End and a snow suit from I don't know where (it was a hand-me-down). I still need to get some for Aiden. Boots have also been a variety. For Natalie last year, as she wasn't walking, I got the Robeez fur lined boots. This year I'm not sure what she'll be wearing. We were given a pair of boots, but I'm not sure they will fit her. Aiden's favorite hat for the last 3 years has been a hat his grandpa gave him. He looks a bit goofy in it, as it was made for a grown man, but it is warm and when I fold up the bottom it covers his ears completely. Autumn and Natalie need new hats, though. And gloves we always tend to just get what is available. Autumn this year has gloves from Lands End (they have had a few good sales this year, can you tell?), and Natalie has gloves from a friend.
#6 of 14 Old 09-19-2008, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As far as basics, fleece overalls and fleece pants have been a staple for my little ones for years. They're so easy to use with snowpants, and they keep them very warm.

Molehill pants!

Gators, and face masks for little ones with a fleece gator attached. I bought two of them 13 years ago when my girlies were 2 and newborn, and we still have the same face masks! They get a LOT of use, the gator attached is a real help in keeping snow and wind out of little collars.

love , p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#7 of 14 Old 09-20-2008, 03:26 AM

You guys use the Padraigs for outdoors? The ones I've seen look a little flimsey, just crocheted uppers. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

What about those wool norwegian boots? Anyone tried those?

I used a pair of stride rite boots for my last toddler but we were in girdwood and needed waterproof more than warmth.
#8 of 14 Old 09-20-2008, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBACtivist View Post
You guys use the Padraigs for outdoors? The ones I've seen look a little flimsey, just crocheted uppers. Am I looking at the wrong thing?
I used these with Apocolypse Designs mukluks over them - this was an incredibly warm combo.
#9 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBACtivist View Post

What about those wool norwegian boots? Anyone tried those?

I used a pair of stride rite boots for my last toddler but we were in girdwood and needed waterproof more than warmth.
We live in the Goldstream Valley, outside of Fbks. It gets COLD.

I think the "wool norwegian boots" to which you are referring are Lobens. ?

Blue or red sole, grey or red uppers? We LOVE them, but they are very slick so be careful. In fact, I had to pack mine away as I took a few too many tumbles in them. As far as warmth, though, they're awesome!

I'm looking at putting a bit of money into handmade, leather and wolf or rabbit fur boots that will last me forever. It's not like my feet are growing.

I've really liked my Salomon shoes (I call them snow tires for my feet) because they have *awesome* tread on them. They make boots now, and they're not badly priced if you're looking for a grown-up foot size.

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#10 of 14 Old 10-05-2008, 02:52 AM

Does anyone know of good quality fleece onesies? I looked at patagonia, lands end ll bean. I cant find any and would love a fllece onesie/pant combo.

Right now it is not too cold and our baby is decked out in all wool....sweet fishermans sweater from Pia's, longies, knitted hat and padraigs. She looks darn cute!
#11 of 14 Old 10-05-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrozncavegrl View Post
Does anyone know of good quality fleece onesies? I looked at patagonia, lands end ll bean. I cant find any and would love a fllece onesie/pant combo.

Right now it is not too cold and our baby is decked out in all wool....sweet fishermans sweater from Pia's, longies, knitted hat and padraigs. She looks darn cute!

Are you talking something similar to a snowsuit? I know LL Bean makes them. They are expensive, though.

Can you sew? You might do better making your own.
#12 of 14 Old 10-05-2008, 02:39 PM

Waaay back when, we got a lot of infant/toddler fleece wear from the Sat Market downtown Anch. We also did Patagonia or REI longjohns from the beginning as we tried to stay away from cotton in the cold weather.

Again, I'll plug Molehill down booties for hands/feet from MEC and mittens & balaclavas from Nomar. :
#13 of 14 Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Are you talking something similar to a snowsuit? I know LL Bean makes them. They are expensive, though.

Can you sew? You might do better making your own.
No not a snowsuit, but a onesie, which is a shirt that buttons at the crotch.
#14 of 14 Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 PM

I've never seen fleece onesies. Again, if you can sew, you could try making your own. I know there are patterns for onesies at Joann's and probably at Wal-Mart, too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page