Ongoing Alaska Chat, new for October! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 141 Old 10-17-2008, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved to the valley. E. Fairview Lp.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#62 of 141 Old 10-17-2008, 07:22 PM

We're off of Bogard near Finger Lake. Nice to meet you all.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#63 of 141 Old 10-18-2008, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone else have a "happy" light? I'm thinking of getting one...I don't know that SAD is an issue of mine, but getting out of bed is getting harder and harder, and my insomnia is playing merry hell with everything. :/ The darker it gets, the more my poor body is confused about when to, or whether to, sleep.

They're expensive, and I wonder if they really work, or if it's pretty much wishful thinking?

On another note, we're looking into snowboarding gear for the 15yo. She really wants to get into this, but the initial outlay is atrocious. Seriously. Badly expensive. I know nothing about snowboarding and am scrambling to find secondhand, alternative, etc., gear for her. Gah.

Had date-night w/ the hubby tonight. The older we get, the shorter date-night gets and the more time we spend on errands during our date. Oh, well, at least we were together (and the kids only called twice!).

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#64 of 141 Old 10-18-2008, 02:36 PM

My insurance paid for a SAD light @ 80%. I'd always wanted to try one so I asked the dr when I was pg and he wrote a script for it. I didn't really use it, though, so my husband brought it to work. He likes it.

I'm sure you could p/u used snowboard gear at a gear swap. Check if UAF has one. UAA just had theirs. Plus, the ski hills always have swaps. Invest in a good helmet, too! My son just won a new pair of fat powder skis w/twin tips as a grand prize package. He is sooooooooooo excited. :

Gorgeous day here. I love winter !!
#65 of 141 Old 10-19-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post
We're off of Bogard near Finger Lake. Nice to meet you all.

You're not too far from me. I'm near the corner of Seldon and Lucille. I've got good friends over your way -- they live on Sebastian.

I still think we should manage a Valley get-together.
#66 of 141 Old 10-19-2008, 04:08 AM

I'm totally jealous of all you people who live near other people... I live out in Pelican and there are only 70 people here and I have no friends--literally, no one like myself, near my age, or with kids... There is one woman who has kids the age of my older son but she and her DH spend the weekends (and half the weeknights) with their beer cans and we don't drink... There is one lady who has kids the age of my toddler but they head south in the winter... And that's it. I have the weekly knitting circle but we don't have much in common except the knitting, you know? DH is contracted to stay here through May but then I am SO ready to move somewhere bigger...like ketchikan, or juneau.

So, I have a question for everybody--I know I haven't been super particpative on the AK threads, but I have recently reached my 1000 posts! so now I'm trying to think of a clever senior title...
I have been thinking it would be fun to do something that goes along with my username, but I haven't been able to think of anything brilliant.
I've also thought about just doing something totally random, but again, I can't think of anything brilliant... I don't plan to be changing it--I'd really like to just pick something that I can keep for the long-term...
So, yeah, feel free to ask questions about me if that helps you think of good ideas! Here's a short snippit...
"Brighton" is my last name--it's not where I'm from, I don't ski, etc
My mom is pretty crunchy, so I'm 2nd generation crunchy and gettin moreso every day
I am married with two boys, one doggy daughter, and we are ttc--hoping for a big family.
I'm passionate about miscarriage awareness, having three angels of my own.
I'm a girly girl--pink is my favorite color and has been for years. I always used to say "if you can't do it in a skirt it's not worth doing" and I still believe it although here it's cold enough that I dont' wear skirts that often anymore. :
I love blogging (I can't link my blog on MDC though because it has a link to my etsy shop)
I am a seamstress, knitter, and long-hair-wearer (and lover)
I am one of those people that loves to learn--whether the info is useful or useless. I adore Jeopardy.

Any ideas oh brilliant ones? I'm drawing blanks here.

Oh, BTW, no snow has made it down to us yet...the peaks across the inlet from us have a dusting halfway down (I've got pics on my blog... if you wanna see then just PM me ) But yeah, last year we didn't get any snow that really stuck down here until December. It's cold out, but not snowing yet...of course we're in the rainforest part, so we get freezing rain during half the 'snow' season :lmao

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#67 of 141 Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM

Just saying hi! How is everyone? : :

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#68 of 141 Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
Just saying hi! How is everyone? : :

I'm great. a better question is how are YOU doing?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#69 of 141 Old 10-20-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
I'm great. a better question is how are YOU doing?
Hello dear! I've been ok. Mama's birthday came and went, and it was pretty tough to get through but I did. The pregnancy is going great. JR is doing great and being a wonderful, brilliant, typical teething 2 year old. Hubby had to spend some extra time at work lately, but spent a lot of quality time with us this weekend. I've been crafting my tushie off for my store & for some custom work. All in all, things are going well!

#70 of 141 Old 10-20-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Anyone else have a "happy" light? I'm thinking of getting one...I don't know that SAD is an issue of mine, but getting out of bed is getting harder and harder, and my insomnia is playing merry hell with everything. :/ The darker it gets, the more my poor body is confused about when to, or whether to, sleep.

They're expensive, and I wonder if they really work, or if it's pretty much wishful thinking?

On another note, we're looking into snowboarding gear for the 15yo. She really wants to get into this, but the initial outlay is atrocious. Seriously. Badly expensive. I know nothing about snowboarding and am scrambling to find secondhand, alternative, etc., gear for her. Gah.

Had date-night w/ the hubby tonight. The older we get, the shorter date-night gets and the more time we spend on errands during our date. Oh, well, at least we were together (and the kids only called twice!).

love, penelope
Your date nights sound like ours!

I know nothing about Snowboarding except my 8 year old really wants to do it and I know it is crazy $$ for a few trips down the mountain:
#71 of 141 Old 10-21-2008, 04:09 AM

We spent part of our "date night" looking at second hand snowboards at Play It Again Sports.

We were all set to let her choose a board, (most of them have bindings already) and second-hand boots as well ...... and then she really messed up.

She told me she was working on M's bday gift (a story she is writing) on Brad's laptop. I went outside, came in and saw she was still ont he computer two HOURS later (she had written 18 pages of story days before!), so I went to see what she was doing...

She had not written a new word. She was playing a stupid useless game on the computer and tried to lie her way out of it.

So, no snowboard for her. I am so mad I could spit.

Seems like I'm angry with her 50% of the time...and I really love her and think she's phenomenal. But lies...and deceit, and just general bullshiat....damn.

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#72 of 141 Old 10-21-2008, 11:47 AM

just wanted to offer some

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#73 of 141 Old 10-21-2008, 12:02 PM

I had a good reminder yesterday. I went running w/someone whose kids are all in college. She was so sad talking about her house full of their ski gear but no life. All those memories and that's all she has left. Of course, she was just sad & will get over it but she kept telling me to enjoy every chaotic minute of the "now."

So, what's the snow like?!?!? I hear it's coming down hard and fast from East Anch all the way to Talkeetna? : Hope everyone has good tires and safe cars.

--Don't forget the costume family run tonight in Anchorage.
#74 of 141 Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 PM

Tonight is the "Dumbledore's Army" get-together at Barnes and Noble (in Fairbanks). It's a discussion about "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," as well as a Deathday Party for Nearly Headless Nick.

Don't know if we'll be there or not.

Thursday is the teen group at the library, 7pm, pizza provided by them.

As far as snow goes, I'm so excited about how much we already have. My 7yo wants to learn to X-country ski!! I have a bunch of skis I've picked up over the years at yard sales, and I'm pretty sure some will fit him (boots, too!). I still have my good skis from high school, and since my feet haven't grown, they still fit.

Now all we need is about fifteen more hours in the day to get everything done!

love, p

#75 of 141 Old 10-21-2008, 02:54 PM

I think it'd be cool to learn how to cross country ski. Maybe one of these days I'll learn. We did get some snow last night/this morning. I think we have another 3 inches or so, so maybe 5 all together? I'm not the best judge of it. Am just debating if I want to head out now and get the errands done with or if I want to wait and hope the roads are clearer later today. Would like to not have to put my truck in 4wd as the fuel mileage is terrible that way.
#76 of 141 Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I think it'd be cool to learn how to cross country ski. Maybe one of these days I'll learn. We did get some snow last night/this morning. I think we have another 3 inches or so, so maybe 5 all together? I'm not the best judge of it. Am just debating if I want to head out now and get the errands done with or if I want to wait and hope the roads are clearer later today. Would like to not have to put my truck in 4wd as the fuel mileage is terrible that way.
xcountry skiing totally rocks! So much better then downhill. I'd like to try some skijoring but I only have a small-med dog.
No snow at my house today. At least not yet.
#77 of 141 Old 10-21-2008, 09:47 PM

Does anybody know of any mom's groups or organizations for SAHMs in Anchorage? I'm looking for some more part time employees, and the moms looking for a couple hours here, a couple hours there are an awesome fit... but I don't know any of the groups in Anchorage, since I live out in the Valley.

On another note... my baby turns FIVE today. She's such a big girl... I just don't know where the time has gone. I literally woke up in tears today... how silly is that?

Of course, with her growing up comes plenty of activities. Between karate and hockey, I feel like I'm forever on the run.

I do have to say, my first scare occurred last night. She was on the ice with the 700 or so other little kiddos in hockey (okay, the number is only *slightly* exaggerated) and they had much older kids out helping the younger ones. Well, two of them started to get a little rambunctious and started racing each other backwards. They were FLYING around the rink and there was my little kiddo... and they ran right smack dab into her. She must have flown a good 4 feet before landing flat on her back on the ice. I held my breath and watched her... she rolled over a little and I could see her face. I could see she was about to cry, but stopped. The coach skated over and talked to her (I'm still holding my breath) and she shook her head and got up. I then began oxygen intake again. The crowd in the bleachers stood up and cheered her.... to which, she bowed After she got off the ice, she came up to me and said "mom! did you see how I got TOTALLY taken out? He dessicrated me! My pads ROCK!" I literally snorted... I thought it was so funny.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#78 of 141 Old 10-21-2008, 10:53 PM

: : Happy birthday to your , and happy birthday anniversary to you, you rockin' mama!!

M will be 5 in a few days...it goes so damned fast, doesn't it?

Seems like only last week you were sitting here, and E and M were playing together, and I was so embarrassed about the grime in my toy bins.

I miss you, Karen. Be gentle with yourself...buy yourself roses on her birthday, after all, you did all that work!

Love, penelope

#79 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
She must have flown a good 4 feet before landing flat on her back on the ice. I held my breath and watched her... she rolled over a little and I could see her face. I could see she was about to cry, but stopped. The coach skated over and talked to her (I'm still holding my breath) and she shook her head and got up. I then began oxygen intake again. The crowd in the bleachers stood up and cheered her.... to which, she bowed After she got off the ice, she came up to me and said "mom! did you see how I got TOTALLY taken out? He dessicrated me! My pads ROCK!" I literally snorted... I thought it was so funny.
Hahaha SHE totally ROCKS! What a tough girl.
#80 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
: : Happy birthday to your , and happy birthday anniversary to you, you rockin' mama!!

M will be 5 in a few days...it goes so damned fast, doesn't it?

Seems like only last week you were sitting here, and E and M were playing together, and I was so embarrassed about the grime in my toy bins.

I miss you, Karen. Be gentle with yourself...buy yourself roses on her birthday, after all, you did all that work!

Love, penelope

I miss you too! I miss Fairbanks! Things were so much more simple then...y/k? You are a nut though! I don't remember grime in your toy boxes! I remember a house that was full of kiddos and love!!!!!

I can't believe M is going to be 5 this week too! He's the 25th right? I remember he was born the day I left the hospital, and I stayed for 4 days.

We are seriously talking about doing a camp or two in Fairbanks this summer and spending a full week there. I'd just love to spend some time in warmth and catch up with everybody.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#81 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 AM

Yes, Karen, you remember right. You left under the first sticky snow, and I birthed him outside under that selfsame snow...Seems like it just happened, but it's been FIVE years.

I so want another baby. I love pregnancy, all of it. I love birthing, the empowering feeling, the fear, the overcoming...

But I was watching another mom friend of mine at karate. She was babysitting a 1yo (who had a cast on his leg!), and his energy drained me just watching him.

Little bitty lima-bean babies...YES! Energetic, freakishly accident-prone toddlers, NO!

I hope we see you up here soon. I'm about ready to run away (run away!) because I'm just burned out. :/ Crap.

Maybe I'll run away to your place!

love, p

#82 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 05:32 AM

Just wanted to pop in and say hello Alaskanites!
How's the Wasilla Target? I checked out Anch's Target and wasn't too impressed. Which is weird because I LOVE me some Target.

Newly single mama to DS 4/20/2005. Recently back from ALASKA.
#83 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I'm about ready to run away (run away!) because I'm just burned out. :/ Crap.

Maybe I'll run away to your place!

love, p
Why don't we all just run away for awhile? I could really use a good week with no one needing me for anything.
#84 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian Squash View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say hello Alaskanites!
How's the Wasilla Target? I checked out Anch's Target and wasn't too impressed. Which is weird because I LOVE me some Target.

Haven't been in. From what I've gathered, it's not really all that great except for the fact that it's somewhere new.
#85 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Haven't been in. From what I've gathered, it's not really all that great except for the fact that it's somewhere new.
It's Target...nothing different from the Targets anywhere else. I still like it though

And is anyone else enjoying the snow today? I missed out on it yesterday since it snowed out here but not in Anchorage and I had to run errands today.

And Happy Birthday to your dd icequeen(sorry I don't know names yet)

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#86 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 03:03 PM

I had never been to a Target in my life until the Anchorage one opened up..

I wasn't that impressed EXCEPT that they had hired a lot of my former and current students!

#87 of 141 Old 10-23-2008, 05:34 AM

We hit -1* tonight! First negative temp I've seen this season. Now if only I could see some northern lights!

:::

#88 of 141 Old 10-23-2008, 12:36 PM

WOWZA : And, I'm feeling cold from running just now at 22.' wimp
#89 of 141 Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM

Oh goodness! I hope we don't see a negative temp for another month. My Southern mind can't wrap itself around the idea of negatives in October. lol Although my body seems to have acclimated fairly well to Alaska weather. I'm really going to miss it next year when we move.

Think I'm actually going to put my stuff on this afternoon and go romp in the snow with the kids and dog. Dog loves a good snowball fight.
#90 of 141 Old 10-23-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
Does anybody know of any mom's groups or organizations for SAHMs in Anchorage? I'm looking for some more part time employees, and the moms looking for a couple hours here, a couple hours there are an awesome fit... but I don't know any of the groups in Anchorage, since I live out in the Valley.
You're looking for employees? and I am looking for a job!

we should hook up. What kinda work?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page