Ongoing Alaska Chat ~ New for November! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3 4 
Alaska and Hawaii > Ongoing Alaska Chat ~ New for November!
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 03:30 AM 11-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...WuX4gD94GU3280

Did you see this? Alaska and Iowa are reporting the highest increases in food insecurity in the Nation.. not good..
Does not suprize me. Food is soo $$ here and I live in Anchorage! I cannot imagine trying to buy for my family if we lived in the bush or in villages!

I really really feel down when shopping at the local Farmer's Markets too. My GOD are they over priced!

tallanvor's Avatar tallanvor 07:32 AM 11-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama crane View Post
Jumping out of lurkdom to say all 4 of my husky mixes were rescued from the Fairbanks Animal Control. They were all turned in by folks who adopted them and "moved on". One only has to look at the statistics to see how many more dogs are destroyed each month or year because people put the burden on animal control to find homes.

Not trying to point fingers, but please find a good home before you go
Oh, I know. We weren't originally planning on taking him to the pound. The idea only came up because of him getting picked up. Money is just so tight right now that saving the $100 by signing him over was a consideration. He was a rescue dog in the first place, though not through an agency. He was found on the side of the road with a couple of his litter mates a couple of Novembers ago. Was really sad to think someone would abandon dogs like that.
tallanvor's Avatar tallanvor 07:33 AM 11-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Does not suprize me. Food is soo $$ here and I live in Anchorage! I cannot imagine trying to buy for my family if we lived in the bush or in villages!

I really really feel down when shopping at the local Farmer's Markets too. My GOD are they over priced!

I honestly don't know how people provide up here. I am amazed whenever I go to the local grocery store instead of the commissary. And when family back in the lower 48 complain about the prices of fresh fruit and veggies I have to laugh at them. My MIL was complaining this summer about the price of apples -- and it was lower than the best price I've ever paid here.
BusyMommy's Avatar BusyMommy 02:35 PM 11-19-2008
CostCo has an amazing amount of organics now and the prices really are quite reasonable. We travel a lot to Seattle, Chicago and Fla and find the prices really aren't that different. But, those are all bigger cities so maybe more $. Lack of local produce now, though, is really disappointing and spendy, though.

I hope your dog finds a good home. Bummer to land at the pound as a run-away but better than thinking about the alternative;ie. getting hit by a car. I could never work at the pound--can you even imagine spending time w/so many animals you know will never find homes. So sad.
mtn.mama's Avatar mtn.mama 03:17 PM 11-19-2008
I find that the organic prices are pretty darn manageable by getting food through Wolf Lake Wellness... we order Azure Standard every month for staples and get cases of produce through Organically Grown Company. Our prices for quality organic produce are cheaper than non-organic produce at the grocery store. Can't complain about that...
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 03:20 PM 11-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
CostCo has an amazing amount of organics now and the prices really are quite reasonable. We travel a lot to Seattle, Chicago and Fla and find the prices really aren't that different. But, those are all bigger cities so maybe more $. Lack of local produce now, though, is really disappointing and spendy, though.
I have been pretty happily surprised about the number of organics at Costco. We just reupped our membership after a many year lapse. But then we have a freezer now, so I have also been buying things in bulk (frozen veggies and meat mostly) and then dividing them up into smaller amounts and sealing them in my foodsaver..

Freezer is CHOCK full now!:

I just got my first order in from Frontier. I ordered two rather small containers of organic adobo seasoning.. (only place I could find it- tried New Segaya with no luck).

They sent a HUGE box and charged me about double the price for the seasoning- why?? because they put their catalog in there! Without the catalog- I probably could have had a tiny little box and way less shipping fee! Arggh!

1) I am glad that I ordered two containers of it- it should last me a while.
2) when I need more, I am going to just tack my seasoning onto someone else's order from now on.
Icequeen_in_ak's Avatar Icequeen_in_ak 04:57 PM 11-19-2008
Man oh mighty have we been busy! We been up to our ears in Christmas lights for the last week. This years show is going to be HUGE.

Does anybody know if I can buy live worms around here in the winter? I need some for a new workshop we have... and I'm assuming they'd be happy little clams living in the heated garage right?

And on that note... do you just feed them your edible trash?

Also, does anybody know of anybody looking for a huge entertainment center for a really good price? I've got to get rid of this monster of mine (it's an adjustable 4 piece unit with two tall storage cabinets, a tv stand with storage below and a top shelf that hooks them all together). My new (much smaller one) is coming tomorrow.
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 05:47 PM 11-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
Does anybody know if I can buy live worms around here in the winter? I need some for a new workshop we have... and I'm assuming they'd be happy little clams living in the heated garage right?

And on that note... do you just feed them your edible trash?
I think I saw worm farms on sale in the Mill and Feed flyer a few days ago.. you know the compost kits?

Also, I bet that bug lady in the paper sells worms.. maybe?
BusyMommy's Avatar BusyMommy 01:41 AM 11-20-2008
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you could still get worms in town. Try the little, locally owned, pet store in International. Has some kind of ubiquitous name like "Pet Store." LOL But, google pet stores and Int'l Rd. She's great. I love supporting her business.

Yeah, Frontier rocks :

Oh, try Sportsman Warehouse, too. THink that's the name--it's the one on Dimond next to Sams and Michael's and PetCo.
salmontree's Avatar salmontree 05:28 PM 11-20-2008
oh do I know my husband or what? It was pretty much verbatim what I said he'd say about the bug rancher lady-
"SEE SEE I'm not crazy afterall!"
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 05:47 PM 11-20-2008
Anyone in Alaska selling fuzzibunz? I am thinking of doing ONLY fuzzibunz with the next babe (dp was NEVER good at figuring out what fitted should go with what insert, etc- and I do not have as much time to match things up ahead of time anymore), and want to keep an eye on some lot deals. Thanks.
vivalamama's Avatar vivalamama 11:01 PM 11-20-2008
I don't, but a woman named Molley used to... I think she sold her biz, but I think the website is still correct-
diaperlady.zoomshare.com
onyxravnos's Avatar onyxravnos 12:03 AM 11-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post

Does anybody know if I can buy live worms around here in the winter?
I know a women who has been breeding worms here in Fairbanks. She was originaly going to breed and sell them but I think shes become a bit attached. Shes a little cooky but very nice and may sell you some or at the very least can give you lots and lots of info about any worm question you have.

PM me if you want and I'll get you contact info.
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 03:08 AM 11-23-2008
What are you all doing for Thanksgiving?
going to family or family coming to you?

We will probably have a quite one, just the 6 of us.
1stimestar's Avatar 1stimestar 03:15 AM 11-23-2008
We're just having a nice, quiet one with just the 4 of us. We had company for last year's and it just made it too "much". I love cooking big special meals, but I don't like to get dressed to do so lol.

Hey Tammy, can I put a link to your surrogacy page on my website? Do you have a logo or picture you'd like me to use?
Icequeen_in_ak's Avatar Icequeen_in_ak 03:34 AM 11-23-2008
My mom is coming to my house for Thanksgiving and we've also invited the new dentist and his family. They've not been here long, and they are a super sweet family. Their son plays hockey with my daughter, so they are best buddies. It will be a nice gathering.

We are having our "friends & family" lighting ceremony Friday night from 6-8pm. Our charity this year is the Alaska Wounded veterans, and we are trying to get a busload of wounded soldiers out that night for a reception. Santa claus is suppose to be here as well (and I think the media is coming). All you gals are welcome to come by Well have cocoa, coffee & cookies to snack on and some heated canopies to mingle in.
salmontree's Avatar salmontree 06:23 AM 11-23-2008
This year my birthday falls on Thanksgiving and I'm turning 30.. and I've suddenly gotten inspired to cook a big dinner for the family all by myself for the first time. I think we're going to invite MIL, SIL and her family over. I'm nervous but we've already bought the food and I've got the recipes all planned out so I guess I'm committed. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew! I feel like this will mark a real turning point in my life.. like it will make me a "real" grown-up.. Never mind that I have three kids.. somehow cooking a Thanksgiving dinner feels like the most grown up thing I'll have done yet.
*crossing fingers* in the hopes that it all goes well...
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 08:52 AM 11-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmontree View Post
This year my birthday falls on Thanksgiving and I'm turning 30.. and I've suddenly gotten inspired to cook a big dinner for the family all by myself for the first time. I think we're going to invite MIL, SIL and her family over. I'm nervous but we've already bought the food and I've got the recipes all planned out so I guess I'm committed. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew! I feel like this will mark a real turning point in my life.. like it will make me a "real" grown-up.. Never mind that I have three kids.. somehow cooking a Thanksgiving dinner feels like the most grown up thing I'll have done yet.
*crossing fingers* in the hopes that it all goes well...
Ah, that is cool! My mom's birthday is the 27th too! My DD is the 29th!

Happy Birthday!:
tallanvor's Avatar tallanvor 05:19 PM 11-23-2008
Well, we are having a guy from Andrew's shop over for desert and possibly a family over for dinner. They have family up here, but there's been a lot of drama over Thanksgiving, so she said they may take us up on our invite and skip the drama. Aiden will be thrilled if they do, as he loves playing with their little boy. I sliced my hand open last night and have stitches, so am not sure exactly what I will be fixing. I'm afraid I might have to settle for store bought pie. I know I won't be able to manage the pie crusts. But as my pie crusts aren't very pretty, I'm okay with that.

We just bought Settlers of Catan and we've all decided it's a winner, so we'll probably try playing that a few times this weekend. Provided we can keep Natalie out of the pieces.
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 05:56 PM 11-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post

We just bought Settlers of Catan and we've all decided it's a winner, so we'll probably try playing that a few times this weekend. Provided we can keep Natalie out of the pieces.
Nice! My Intended Father's gave my kids that game last year. I never heard of it before then but it is really quite fun! It can take HOURS to play, just warning ya!
tallanvor's Avatar tallanvor 03:30 AM 11-24-2008
Yeah, it took us about 3 hours the other night, but we were also still learning. And Aiden, especially still needs a bit of help with it (he's not quite 6 yet), but it was lots of fun. We often have a hard time finding games to play as a family that DH enjoys.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Valley that has available cow shares? We're looking for raw milk.
Pure_AK_Crystal's Avatar Pure_AK_Crystal 12:49 AM 11-25-2008
Ugh, I keep losing you guys because I don't remember to look for the new month's thread! I'm so far behind, and don't think I'll catch up to where y'all are at, so I'll just start with HI!

HI! :
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 05:34 PM 11-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
Ugh, I keep losing you guys because I don't remember to look for the new month's thread! I'm so far behind, and don't think I'll catch up to where y'all are at, so I'll just start with HI!

HI! :
LOL, and it is almost December so we might be moving again!
Pure_AK_Crystal's Avatar Pure_AK_Crystal 05:47 PM 11-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
LOL, and it is almost December so we might be moving again!
I know. Just as soon as I find y'all I'm going to lose you again. But I won't be around for most of December anyway! We're going to TX from the 12th through the 28th to spend holidays with DH's family! It's going to be so strange not having a white Christmas.
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 12:16 AM 11-26-2008
Have a great vacation! Enjoy the heat and bring back a few days of it will ya??
salmontree's Avatar salmontree 05:36 AM 11-26-2008
Have a nice trip Crystal! I'm jealous.. Texas is so nice in the winter. Well I've only been to the hill country area.. it was lovely.
tallanvor's Avatar tallanvor 05:51 AM 11-26-2008
Wish me luck, ladies! I am flying out of Anchorage early Friday morning all the way to Orlando with a 21 month old on my lap and then driving 6 hours to my grandparents' house. My opa passed away last night and so we're going for his funeral. The older two kids are upset that they can't go but it is just too expensive to fly all of us. Natalie only gets to go because it is easier for me to take her than Andrew to deal with all 3 kids. And I think it will do my oma a lot of good (and my mom) to see her, as they have had so little time with her. And the fact that I don't have to pay for a ticket for her. But, on the plus side, my ticket to Orlando only cost $25 because I had just enough miles to get a free ticket. Oh, and gas down there is below $2 a gallon, so putting gas in the rental car isn't even going to be that much.
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 06:28 AM 11-26-2008
sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Have a nice and safe trip!
BusyMommy's Avatar BusyMommy 02:28 PM 11-26-2008
:
SNOW

:
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 05:49 PM 11-26-2008
Someone PLEASE tell me about Black Friday deals in Anchorage. I usually avoid Black Friday like the plague- but this year I think I need some deals- I haven't done ANY gift purchases yet, and since Thanksgiving seems to be a week later this year than previously, well, I don't have my tree up yet- or ANYTHING...

Help a girl out? I am thinking of buying the boys a group gift like a Wii maybe and some individual games- not entirely sure, though.

ETA: really sorry about your loss Tallanvor.
1  2  3 4 

Up