Vaccine exemptions, HI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family just moved to Hawaii (Wahiawa, Oahu) and my daughter will start school here in a few years. I see that Hawaii only has religious and medical exemptions for vaccines and I'm looking for any information/advice you can give me! We have awhile to worry about it (she's two) but I want to have a plan in order so I don't have to scramble around for information at the last second.

The only vaccine my daughter has had was the Hep B at birth (and not by my request), and has been unvaccinated since. Is my only option to homeschool? I'm not sure I could get my husband to go for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 04:19 PM

When you send you kids to school (assuming that's why you're asking). The school will give you an exemption form to fill out. It's been pretty painless for me.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Really? I'm not going to somehow have to prove my religion or anything? I just mark "religious" and that's it? Because.. I'm not religious. I was really expecting some kind of fight to get her into school. I've heard a lot of horror stories, I guess.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Oh also- I worry that since she's had one vaccine, they'll use that against me. Like how some parents who selectively vax are given a hard time. (Forgot to mention that in my last reply.)
Old 11-04-2008, 04:59 PM

My kids are selectively vaxxed, and the school nurse did TRY to give me a hard time- I think I chose the non-religious exemption ( can't quite remember). But I just told her I was opposed to some of them, and left it at that.

We've not done a huge amount of schooling (preschool and then not again until 7th grade), but I've had no problem- really. I got from the Dept of Health back in the day when my son went to preschool (and I had to pick up the form from there) that one of their main things is just knowing that your kid isn't vaxxed, so that if there is an outbreak they can inform you and have you pull you kids out of school.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 PM

The forms are simple and clear and well followed in my experience.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelamariebee View Post
Really? I'm not going to somehow have to prove my religion or anything? I just mark "religious" and that's it? Because.. I'm not religious. I was really expecting some kind of fight to get her into school. I've heard a lot of horror stories, I guess.
No, you don't have to show that you belong to a particular religion to get that exemption. If anyone asks you can tell them it's against your beliefs and leave it at that. You are not required to elaborate or get some pastor or rabbi or monk to sign off on the form. To ask someone to prove they belong to a particular faith in order to get the religious exemption is a violation of the separation of church and state. Getting the exemption is pretty straightforward in Hawaii.

As far as giving her one shot and now changing your mind that's really not a big deal. People's religious beliefs change. People who didn't believe in God become Born Again Christians. People convert to other religions. Your religious beliefs aren't written in stone never to be changed, KWIM.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:14 AM

I registered my oldest in public school with no big problems.He had been up to date til he was two but I just requested the exemption form.It took them a couple of days to produce it, I filled it out and it was filed.We moved out to another town and the nurse did try to get me to include DS's partial shot record "just in case " she said but I didn't.I haven't been questioned or singled out even though DS never gets the school sponsored flu shot and he got chicken pox naturally last year.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmom View Post
he got chicken pox naturally last year.
And I'm still sad my DD could not manage to catch it from him. Long aside - thanks for trying with us

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:10 PM

i used to be involved with a private school and parents just had to file a waiver form and it was never a big deal.

and i am always on the hunt for the chicken pox as well...
Old 11-05-2008, 10:26 PM

I think it was because it was the end of baseball season and we had all been pretty low on rest so they were open to any bug floating around.next time keep em up for a couple of days. It was nice playing with you when you came over.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

Old 11-07-2008, 03:40 PM

The vax exemption form here is super easy, just a signature.

The one bummer is that there is no exemption from the tb test.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:24 AM

I printed the form out online,
I hope it is the right one, I am so glad to hear that you all didn't have issues once you filed it.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! This is all really relieving to hear.

User Tag List