Ottawa AP - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 108 Old 01-10-2009, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by star*mora View Post
can't make it on tuesdays so maybe next time. it is fun to meet up with mamas from this board though, having done so a few times already!

arlene
really, nothing has been decided as of yet :P
we have 1 agreement for tuesday and not location or time yet, lol.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 108 Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 AM

I'm still up for a meetup sometime. I'm pretty flexible on the date and place.

Cynthia, loving my husband Isaac, my silly boy Jacob (Apr 07), my sweet little Luke (Dec 09), and my darling Lily (Aug 12)

#63 of 108 Old 01-16-2009, 02:30 PM

We're definitely still up for a meet-up! As soon as DD is over this (lingering) cold...I could do a Monday or Tuesday morning. Anyone else have suggestions for day/time?

Diana. Wife and partner to Jon since 11/04. Home-birthing, natural milky momma to Katie Annalie - 08/06 and Evan Frederick - 06/09
grouphug.gif

designer/manufacturer of: http://www.onyababy.com

#64 of 108 Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 PM

How about the 20th? Not too early. We live pretty far east so it takes us a while to get in.

Alice
#65 of 108 Old 01-17-2009, 02:59 PM

I'm glad to see that mamas are willing to travel westward (and that lots of you live in the west end to start with)!
I am pretty much unable to leave home during the week due to my kids' school schedules. I have to retrieve my youngest dd from the bus at 10:45am, and my oldest at 2:50. Throw in lunch and a baby nap, and oh yeah, no car along with a bus strike, and we're pretty stuck.

But, if you're willing to come to my place, I'd love to have you over!

I am available Tuesday, January 27 between 9:30am and 11:30am. The only thing is, I'd have to step around the corner to meet my dd off the bus at 10:45. If this doesn't offend you, consider yourself invited, lol.

I live in Bridlewood.

If you can come and need details, please send me a PM. I'm obviously not comfortable posting my personal information on this giant public MB.

I'm really looking forward to meeting many of you.

4 kids under 10
#66 of 108 Old 01-19-2009, 01:31 PM

We'd love to come and play! I'll PM you for your info (and I totally understand not wanting to post that publicly).
Thanks for offering up your place to play Sanguine Speed! We can do it at my place next time...we're in Katimavik. Super close!

Diana. Wife and partner to Jon since 11/04. Home-birthing, natural milky momma to Katie Annalie - 08/06 and Evan Frederick - 06/09
grouphug.gif

#67 of 108 Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 AM

I am of course working. But I'm your girl if you need coffee. LOL
#68 of 108 Old 01-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDaednu View Post
I am of course working. But I'm your girl if you need coffee. LOL
You work at Sixbucks, right? Which one...occasionally I raid our coin jar to get a hot chocolate from there...mmmmmmm

PMing you Sanguine Speed...

grouphug.gif

#69 of 108 Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Hi everyone,

MamaDaednu, sorry you can't come . I'll have to check your work schedule next time. We see far too little of you.

AliceGeorge and momma-d have confirmed and we are looking forward to meeting you tomorrow :.

If anyone else would like to come, you are still welcome.

9:30 to 11:30 in Bridlewood. PM me for coordinates.

4 kids under 10
#70 of 108 Old 01-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on MDC, but we are newly transplanted to Barrhaven and I'm feeling all alone out here!

Ds is 5 and dd is 3, and we would love to meet some other families. We're homeschooling, so available whenever, though my access to a vehicle is limited, and with the bus strike it makes getting around difficult.

Anyone up for Saturday or Sunday get-togethers?
#71 of 108 Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 PM

We're looking forward to meeting you all too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
Hi everyone,

MamaDaednu, sorry you can't come . I'll have to check your work schedule next time. We see far too little of you.

AliceGeorge and momma-d have confirmed and we are looking forward to meeting you tomorrow :.

If anyone else would like to come, you are still welcome.

9:30 to 11:30 in Bridlewood. PM me for coordinates.

grouphug.gif

#72 of 108 Old 01-27-2009, 05:14 AM

hope you all have a fun time

i am in mexico for another 2wks - the brutal cold had us fleeing for a few weeks. so it will definitely be another time for us!

am thinking possibly experimental farm or something of the like sometime after we get back.

i`m sure you`ll have a great time meeting up!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#73 of 108 Old 01-27-2009, 02:20 PM

We're still searching for the right place and I'm seeing that rentals in Vanier seem to be (ahem) cheaper than west Ottawa. Anyone care to share their insights on living in Vanier?

SkyMoma SAHM to 2 HL DDs
#74 of 108 Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Some of Vanier is really yucky. Montreal Rd is scary even at lunch time on a weekday (my office is in Vanier so I only know it on weekdays).

I think there could be decent pockets near the Pères Blancs park where you can run errands on Beechwood Ave instead of Montreal Rd. I've gone for walks around there during lunch time, mostly small war-era single family houses looking fairly well kept. I think some of it may have been built on an old dump tho and people are advised not to grow food in certain areas, you may want to look into that if you're concerned about environmental contamination.

The area between the Rideau River and Vanier Parkway is ok imo. I remember my office yoga teacher telling me she's been living in a lowrise app't building for several years in that area and loves it.

Not sure about the streets off Donald St, it's single family homes again and mostly treed.

It can't be all as bad as the Montreal Rd area.
#75 of 108 Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 PM

Malva, I noticed a lot of low-rises off McArthur and shopping along there - what's your impression of that area? We've driven down Montreal Rd a couple of times, and I could see that it's a bit down-at-the-heels. What makes it scary? I can tolerate quite a bit - used to take my kids through Vancouver's downtown eastside to hang with other hs mamas in Strathcona. Mind you, I don't want to live somewhere that I need to do a "once-over" of the playground just to make sure it's clear of used condoms and needles.

BTW I gather we have Erica in common.

SkyMoma SAHM to 2 HL DDs
#76 of 108 Old 01-29-2009, 01:03 AM

sanguine_speed ~ It's a little ridiculous how close we live and we never get to seeing each other. Maybe I need to have another cookie decorating party to get you over here. LOL

Momma-d ~ I work (for now) at the new Bridlewood location. I'm your girl if you'd like a pound of coffee.
#77 of 108 Old 01-29-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMoma View Post
Malva, I noticed a lot of low-rises off McArthur and shopping along there - what's your impression of that area? We've driven down Montreal Rd a couple of times, and I could see that it's a bit down-at-the-heels. What makes it scary? I can tolerate quite a bit - used to take my kids through Vancouver's downtown eastside to hang with other hs mamas in Strathcona. Mind you, I don't want to live somewhere that I need to do a "once-over" of the playground just to make sure it's clear of used condoms and needles.
I don't think I've ever been on McArthur aside from the little bit between the Vanier Parkway and the River.

I'm really not familiar with Vanier as a whole either, aside from the fact that my workplace is there (and again, it's on the edge of it). I hope someone who knows the area will pipe in.

As to how Montreal Rd is yucky, there are alot of street workers and addicts out there during the daytime. On a hot summer day, I don't feel comfortable walking around exposing any skin. My threshold for scary city stuff is probably quite high, I grew up in Montreal near downtown so regular city stuff (weirdos, homeless people, poverty, etc) doesn't faze me. I find badly lit residential suburbs more threatening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMoma View Post
BTW I gather we have Erica in common.
I'm really looking forward to them living closer!
#78 of 108 Old 01-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Thanks Malva - that does sound like the kind of scary that would bother me if I had to deal with it with kids in tow.

SkyMoma SAHM to 2 HL DDs
#79 of 108 Old 02-02-2009, 02:49 AM

4 kids under 10
#80 of 108 Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Boo--I missed another hangout...and it was just down the street! I will go check out the meetup group
Hope to meet you guys sometime..

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#81 of 108 Old 02-03-2009, 02:54 PM

Who else is pining for spring? :

grouphug.gif

#82 of 108 Old 02-15-2009, 01:01 PM

OMG YES.
And pining for a garden. About this time of year I start thinking I should be preparing for my veggie garden - then I remember I'm renting. I'm getting of this renting thing. I keep tossing around the idea of moving to the sticks. I have a feeling that's where I'll end up for a while.
#83 of 108 Old 02-22-2009, 05:20 PM

I am soooo ready for spring...makes me miss living on the west coast! Flowers in February...

I swear this is the year I will plant *and maintain* a veggie garden My intentions always surpass my tenacity.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#84 of 108 Old 03-15-2009, 07:11 AM

How is everyone doing?
We're suffering with all sorts of yuckiness lately. Littlest is at CHEO right now with a horrible cough. My guess is either pertussis, croup or pneumonia. We were holding out for the clinic to open, but by 4am with no sleep for anyone and worsening breathing, off we went. We need to get healthy. Can't wait for actual spring.

4 kids under 10
#85 of 108 Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Hello!! I'm new here (not to MDC but never checked out the tribes before )...and relatively new to Ottawa. We rented in place in Westboro for a year and last March we bought a house out here near Wakefield, QC. We have an almost 4 month old baby girl, Ophelia. Just wanted to introduce myself instead of lurking!
Can't wait for spring and my first ever veggie garden!!

Also, DP works on Montreal Rd and I think the area behind his building (Aviation Pkwy area) is pretty nice!
#86 of 108 Old 03-19-2009, 04:05 PM

Although I am not new to Mothering I am finally getting out of lurking and into posting. It's great to see so many other mom's here from Ottawa. Unfortunately I can't make any of the daytime meet ups but if anyone is ever interested in a weekend one, we're in!

Mom to :...and maybe thinking about one more...
#87 of 108 Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 PM

There is an Ottawa mama in need of breast milk for her baby. If anyone has any leads, please send me a private message and I'll connect you with the local midwife helping the search.

4 kids under 10
#88 of 108 Old 03-28-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
There is an Ottawa mama in need of breast milk for her baby. If anyone has any leads, please send me a private message and I'll connect you with the local midwife helping the search.
M - I'm just starting to get colostrum, but I know I'll be bursting once my milk comes in (K will want it, the new babe will want it...I anticipate a full load) in a couple of months after our new one arrives. Please remind me then and I can pump extra...hth!

grouphug.gif

#89 of 108 Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 AM

Anyone up for a gathering of the tribe?
I'm in Old Ottawa South...

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#90 of 108 Old 04-24-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
Anyone up for a gathering of the tribe?
I'm in Old Ottawa South...
I would be, but we can only do weekends. Let me know!

Mom to :...and maybe thinking about one more...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page