Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you, I got it figured out!
#2 of 5 Old 12-22-2008, 05:22 AM

I just had my Westjet flight cancelled one week ago! I had four pieces of luggage which I had to retrieve. And had to wait about an hour in line before my flight got figured out.
Westjet was very on top of it. They had everybody on a new flight within that hour. Because there was so much snow all the flights for the rest of the day were cancelled as well. Fortunately for me, I chose to fly the next morning as I didn't want to drag my poor toddler through airports any longer. I had a friend 30 minutes away (who's flight was also cancelled) so I stayed at her house.
I was overwhelmed at first but, being a mom with a small child they were very, very, helpful. At the baggage carousel I asked a Westjet employee to help me get my luggage and she did and stacked it all onto my cart for me. Then in line another (handsome I might add) Westjet employee took me out of the line to help me personally (along with another older woman). All I had to do was stand there and he did all the work for me.
I don't know if it goes that smoothly for everybody. The best tip I can give is to ask for help and they will be more than willing. I find that people in general are absolutely amazing at helping moms in airports! (I've flown 11 times with my now 15 month old). Also, I have an Ergo carrier which my toddler napped in the entire time.
Airports in general get overwhelming but really, you just have look at the situation you're in and put it into perspective ex: "my flight is delayed and it sucks, I have to accept this crappy situation as now I'm dealing with a new one. Right now I have to get this luggage onto that cart" -- and then you just do it in the easiest way you can think of And then onto the next challenge. It's kinda of like a game
#3 of 5 Old 12-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Well, we travel often and have experienced canceled flights and, er, missed flights from time to time. It is true that employees are usually very understanding of families with small children.

I don't know if it is too late but this item saved me when having both my DS's marathon and him.

http://www.strollers.com/Go-Go-Babyz-UNIQR-RL1022.html

In addition, I had my 11 month with me with HIS roundabout. So, I pulled my two year old in his marathon, put the roundabout on top (empty, of course) and had the 11 month old in a carrier. No stroller needed and still had all the kids close by. My son liked being pushed around and it was nice to have him contained through busy airports.

Happy Travels!
#4 of 5 Old 12-22-2008, 03:13 PM

Ops, sorry, got off on a tangent and didn't answer your question!

I remember the days that I became a grumpy traveler when flight plans didn't go as planned. I decided that to make traveling "fun" again I had to make a shift in thought. Now, when we leave for the airport, I assume our "travels" are starting. We may not necessarily "fly" that day, but the journey begins. This is also the way I approach it with my kids. So, it may mean that our first excitement is going to be staying in a hotel for a night, or seeing a different airport we haven't been to before due to being re-routed, or my personal fav, getting free tickets for whole other trip by flying tomorrow and not today. People seem to work better with me when I am in a spirit of problem solving. I assume them to be the experts and often ask, "what do you think we should do?"

As far as the kids, novelties are always good for times where they need to be patient. Also, just strolling the airport seems to keep them busy. With a flight so short from Abbotsford to Calgary, you can really use all your novelty efforts in the airport. Often times, the airport is so overstimulating that my kids fall asleep. Don't forget to take along a little treat for yourself for when things get stressful- high quality chocolate, perhaps?!
#5 of 5 Old 12-23-2008, 01:00 PM

I haven't had a flight delayed or cancelled with them, but I did fly solo on a total 'milk run' with something like 3 connecting flights with them with my toddler several years ago.

They were awesome! At each leg, they gave me an attendant who helped me get pre-boarded and carried my stuff, and even though my poor babe was crying most of the way (loooooong day!), they stopped by to tell me how great she was doing, lying very sweetly through their teeth. They also re-arranged seating so that, except on one 20-minute flight, we always had an aisle to ourselves (it was off-season, though).

I suspect that if there are delays or cancellations, they'd be much better to deal with than Air Canada.

And remember, just because there are delays/cancellations this week doesn't mean there will be next week - the weather systems may all move on!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page