Edmonton/ Northern Alberta Mamas? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd be willing to get together with some other moms with babies too young to play. My little guy is only 6 weeks old.

As for the yoga classes, do they offer a mom & baby yoga class? I'd love to take a class and bringing LO would be ideal. Plus I've heard it can be really good for gassy babes, lol.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 01-08-2011, 06:46 AM

yes, both places do the mom and babies for post natal. I did't try the one at yoga within yet, but the one at birthsource was great, they do mom yoga, baby yoga and baby massage in the post natal class. I wanted to check out the playgroup there yest but of course all these things happen at naptime lol!

#33 of 51 Old 01-08-2011, 03:20 PM

How old is your LO? Dez just turned 6 weeks, we are still getting the hang of leaving the house... it can take us up to two hours to get everything in order, including those last minute diaper changes/feeding sessions, lol.

It really is too bad that the most convenient time to nap is also the most convenient time to leave the house!

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#34 of 51 Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 PM

Dd is 7 mos now. I remember how hard it seemed at first to go anywhere- it's def gotten way easier, and luckily some places are Bf friendly and good to change a diaper at so that can cut down on prep time lol. Though last week I tried to eat some yogurt n berries on the way out, needless to say dd's busy paws made a fantastc mess on both of us I don't think I've had to change on the way out for months:)
the yoga teacher at birthsource is very forgiving of late moms, and it's pretty laid back there. Was it you who is in the area?

#35 of 51 Old 07-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Hi everyone!

I know this thread is kinda old but I've come (with a little desperation...) in search of like-minded parents.  None of my friends have children and I'm struggling to meet like-minded parents!!

I went to a mom's group a few days ago that made me so sad... the issue of sleep came up and EVERY SINGLE MOM THERE except for me had let their poor babe CIO.  They were all talking about how it and i couldn't take it...I actually got up and left, it made me feel so sick.  So needless to say, I'm throwing it out there - I've got an 11 month old daughter and would love to hang out with some like-minded MDC mamas! I live just west of downtown... anyone?

#36 of 51 Old 08-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Jewels, I'll send you a PM but wanted to throw out there a few ideas/suggestions for those who might be in the same boat:

ASAC (Association for Safe Alternatives in Childbirth) has playgroups Wednesday and Friday. Their space is unavailable at the moment due to a flood, but two mamas have generously offered their house for the get-togethers, email ASAC for more info.

A few local Facebook companies/groups coordinate babywearing walks where you're likely to meet like-minded moms: Tadpoles & Butterfiles, Cozy Baby Happy Mommy, Natural Urban Mamas.

The Attachment Parenting Society of Alberta (APES - I love that acronym!) also has get-togethers and La Leche League groups also seem to attract like-minded moms. Also as mentioned above Birthsource had playgroup times.

Please, if anyone has other suggestions please throw them out there!

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#37 of 51 Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Just wanted to share that I've just started a northside mom's group. It's drop-in, every Tuesday morning from 9:30-11:30 at Killarney Hall (8720-130A Ave). Intended for infants and up, coffee, snacks and toys provided. It's not necessarily a "crunchy" group, but I am and always interested in meeting others who are! winky.gif

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#38 of 51 Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 PM

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#39 of 51 Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

lakelands anyone? bonneyville cold lake?

Hey, I'm not there now but I grew up in Bonnyville.  Curious if we knew each other IRL?

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#40 of 51 Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 AM

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#41 of 51 Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Hey! I'm in Cold Lake!!

Artist and DIY enthusiast on a happiness quest, I'm a crafty Mama to my sweet girl, pos.gif #2 due Dec 2013

Vegan. treehugger.gif EBF. winner.jpg
#42 of 51 Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 AM

Hello! I am looking for midwife care in Leduc, Ill be moving there shortly and am currently expecting.....Id appreciate any suggestions! Thanks so much 

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#43 of 51 Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 PM

Finding a midwife in Alberta can be extremely difficult at the moment; there just aren't enough to meet the demand.

http://www.alberta-midwives.com/aam/directory/by-area-served/?cn-cat=4

Contact all the midwives in the area ASAP and cross your fingers. I called all of them when I was 4wks pregnant and was lucky to be accepted by one of them (Beginnings Midwifery- they were excellent). If you're further along, still contact them, they may have openings as time goes by and women risk out of their care.

#44 of 51 Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 AM

I'm likely moving to Bonnyville in coming months from Vancouver Island. We have three children ages 10, almost 7 and two. Any like minded crunchy mamas out there. My partner is a graphic artist and sign designer.

I have a rad community here but work is limited so we are renting out our house so he can take a higher paying job in his field.

#45 of 51 Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 AM

I just moved back to Edmonton, and I'm wanting to connect with like minded- parents. I have a 2.5 year old and a 5 year old, so I think we've maybe grown out of the baby groups. We are at the tail end of breastfeeding, so I don't know that we fit into LLL's scene. 

Anyone out there that is a SAHM around this age? I'd love to connect with some Mama's, and make some friends! 

#46 of 51 Old 04-11-2013, 06:26 PM

Hey! I noticed your post!

I'm in Cold Lake, and I'm from Victoria too! It's hard to find other like-minded mothers around here. Let me know if you'd like to get together sometime! I have a 22 month old daughter and I'm due in December with #2.

Artist and DIY enthusiast on a happiness quest, I'm a crafty Mama to my sweet girl, pos.gif #2 due Dec 2013

Vegan. treehugger.gif EBF. winner.jpg
#47 of 51 Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 PM

If any of you mamas are on Facebook there's an attachment parenting group you can join- they hold play dates etc
#48 of 51 Old 05-28-2013, 07:18 AM

Hi All, 

I'm a soon-to-be Mama in North East Edmonton. I've only lived here for four years, and I'm still trying to get settled. I just got the extremely upsetting news that my midwife's office isn't hiring the new midwife they were going to this summer to handle the extra caseload, and they basically dumped me on my butt and told me to go find an OB. So now I'm four months pregnant and I don't have any prenatal care. I'm extremely upset- cause I was hoping for a low-intervention hospital birth. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a low-intervention friendly OB who delivers at Lois Hole? Someone's already suggested Mom Care Docs at the Allin Clinic, but I want to explore all my options. 

Thanks!!

#49 of 51 Old 05-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Are you set on Lois hole?
There are a couple of GPs in St Albert who people love- and they run things similar to a midwife. Dr lidkea being one.
#50 of 51 Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 PM

She was self referral so just find her and call. A lot of midwives put hospital birthers low on their list, FYI. There are a few docs who do that kind of thing.
#51 of 51 Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM

Not SUPER set- but I've attended a birth at Lois Hole before (friend's baby) and I'm comfortable there. The newness of it is nice too I'll admit. I do wonder if she dropped me because I chose to birth at the hospital- but I work with kids who have special needs (mainly kiddos with Down) and a few wouldn't be with us if they hadn't been birthed at the hospital, so I'm just not comfortable not being there- especially since I refused all genetic testing. 

I'll look into Dr. Lidkea- thanks for the name! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page