Vancouverish Tribe: January Snow - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2009, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgal View Post
...and I was at DeSerres Art Store on Broadway near Granville, and thought of all of you ladies. They have a fleet of Rollsers in the window, with funky prints and colors. Why do I think of MDC when I see a Rollser? :
What's a Rollser :?

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 10:08 PM

It's one of those shopping carts that Ksenia's son was riding on.

They are pretty awesome!

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 01-31-2009, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
oh man, I am not supposed to be spending money (we are hoping to move soon) but I may have to check out Maynards and HTN!

Sally Fallon and WAPF: I don't necessarily agree with everything they say, but I went from being vegetarian to eating the 'tf' way and feel much better. I don't read much of their stuff, I just try to do the grain soaking, broth drinking, clo/bo and fermented stuff.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 02-01-2009, 12:01 AM

Oh dear...methinks a trip to Maynards is in the works this week sometime... Its such a pity that they're going belly up. And for HT to close too.

Rolser: I just got one last week from Lonsdale Quay! I love it! Its so light and well made compared to the "Made in China" ones I've found everywhere. I haven't put Emma in it yet though, I think she would have to have some bravery to ride that thing.

Ksenia, do you have the 4 or 2 wheeled one? I got the 2 wheeled, thats why I say it takes some bravery and some balance!

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 AM

HT isn't actually closing closing, just their warehouse store, which makes sense because whenever we go, we are the only ones there the whole time.

Once their Venables store closes you can still buy their clothes on Granville Island (the lady told me the store name but I can't remember what it is) and online.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 AM

I know many, many vegetarians (actually mostly vegans) who are disgustingly robust and healthy. I don't know any that are unhealthy or suffer from any illness or conditions. My mother is a vegan and is also a vegan author and teacher. My stepdad is a vegan, my niece is a vegetarian, to name a few. All of them are extremely healthy. All their vegetarian/vegan friends are extremely healthy. Ina May Gaskin, mother of midwives, is a vegetarian from The Farm in Tenessee, where they have raised generations of vegans on a soy based diet. To date no abnormality in fertility, male genetalia or the other things blamed on soy have occurred in that population.

If you want lists of the science debunking WAPF and Fallon's opinion of soy, just google "bebunking the anti-soy myth", which brings links to a great deal of legitimate, up to date research disproving soy myths, or I can get you a huge list of articles with detailed research references which my mum keeps handy to email people. She gets a lot of people emailing her to complain about her using soy in her recipes and she loves research so she amassed quite a library of science proving the safety of soy and debunking the myths around soy that are largely propogated by WAPF.

I don't know why this particular issues is such a trigger for me, since I'm a committed meat eater. I guess I just really don't like extremism when it comes to food. I think if eating a certain way works for you, you should eat that way. But why spend so much time and energy hating on another way of eating (as I see WAPF do)?

Sorry, I hope I'm not being offensive, I just find Sally Fallon's attitude frustrating.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:12 AM

HT Naturals has an outlet store in Washington, down by Cascade Mall in Burlington. I have to say that I was disappointed that all thier stuff is made in China.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 02-01-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
HT Naturals has an outlet store in Washington, down by Cascade Mall in Burlington. I have to say that I was disappointed that all thier stuff is made in China.
Yeah I noticed that today when I looked on the label. I had no idea :

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

Old 02-01-2009, 01:37 AM

My baby girl is turning two tomorrow! : I can't believe that it's been two years since I got to meet her.... Time flies.....

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
Old 02-01-2009, 01:53 AM

Last fall I went through a major dietary upheaval, trying to help dd get through her allergy symptoms.

I had been a vegetarian for 10 years, mostly for moral and ick-factor reasons. I was, and am, pretty healthy apart from the cat allergy I have developed. I don't blame that on diet.

During our total elimination diet did a ton of research on diet and nutrition and I think I have come to the conclusion that common sense, moderation, and investigation into your food sources will lead to a diet that works for you.

I was shocked to discover how pervasive certain ingredients (corn, soy) are. Without being aware of it, many people (not MDC moms, of course! ) are getting far more of these things than may be healthy. Common sense seems to dictate a varied diet, as too much of one thing can trigger a sensitivity to it. I don't see much of a need to eat tofu, since we are getting so much soy from other sources.

I also feel that kids are so difficult to feed, that having meat as an option can help get required nutrients into them. Bone broths, CLO - these are wonderful sources of vitamins and minerals. If you are careful about what you buy, I think that meat eating can be beneficial.

I did eat meat during our total elimination diet, and since then have had some very occasionally. I'm still not entirely comfortable with it for myself, but at this point I think it's less of a moral issue and more of an inability to stop thinking about what it is that I am eating.

I do find the WAP Foundation website to be a bit too closely linked with a product for my comfort, but I think there is some good information there. I do, after all, buy high vitamin cod liver oil!

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
Old 02-01-2009, 02:16 AM

Swooping out of nowhere to add my 2 cents to the veg. conversation.

Logan and I were healthy, hearty vegetarians for 8 years. I was a healthy pregnant veggie and Alias thrived on a vegetarian diet (except for an iron problem at 18 or so months). However Harrson, in typical Harry wildcard fashion, threw a wrench in our vegetarian works. He was born with health issues and for the first 2 years he lived on a strict vegetarian diet his health issues became more complicated and worrisome. We added fish to our diet 2 years ago and poultry a year ago.

This winter has been Harrison's healthiest. Not once has he been recommended for hospital observation, first winter this has ever happened in his life.

While there have been a lot of changes in Harrison's environment to aid in his improvement healthwise, to overlook the changes in his diet as helping his body just simply work better would be short-sighted.

So, in my experience, there are some people whose bodies need animal protein to work properly. And there are some people who don't.

And I totally agree with dido, Sally Fallon's attitude is frustrating.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
: I meant the Nourishing Traditions Cookbook! By Sally Fallon...

Must go to sleep....and stay out of the chocolate. Sigh.
We make lots of chocolate with coco powder, stevia, pinch of salt and melted coconut oil. Put in molds/pan/bowl in freezer. . . :

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dido1 View Post
I know many, many vegetarians (actually mostly vegans) who are disgustingly robust and healthy. I don't know any that are unhealthy or suffer from any illness or conditions. My mother is a vegan and is also a vegan author and teacher. My stepdad is a vegan, my niece is a vegetarian, to name a few. All of them are extremely healthy. All their vegetarian/vegan friends are extremely healthy. Ina May Gaskin, mother of midwives, is a vegetarian from The Farm in Tenessee, where they have raised generations of vegans on a soy based diet. To date no abnormality in fertility, male genetalia or the other things blamed on soy have occurred in that population.

I always find that interesting about vegetarian health. I have read a few NDs quotes now who state that the majority of their patients are vegetarians/vegans. This is preceisely when I went to see an ND myself: a vegetarian with a crashed thyriod and out of control allergies.
I also wonder about what you mean by robust health: Do any of these folks have eczema, allergies, asthma, arthritis, or any condition that ends in an 'itis'? We have begun to think of these things as normal as so many folks suffer from one thing or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post

What does the CO do exactly?
http://www.coconutoil.com/coconut_oil_21st_century.htm
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com.../menu3_3_2.php

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
Old 02-01-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
I was disappointed too, and then weighed out the options of organic/sustainable but MIC VS non organic and made elsewhere. I buy there with a bit of relunctance, but like how sustainable bamboo is, and since the vast majority is harvested in China, it's hard to avoid MIC with bamboo. Even if it's made in Canada, most bamboo still came from China originally.

Yikes about Discount Diapers - I just recommended a new CDer to check it out. I'll have to tell her about Maynards.

Vegetarianism/WAP, etc:

I'm leary of anyone touting huge risks to eating any food that is natural and traditionally consumed in many societies in the world. For instance, soy, while a newish food in North America, has been consumed in Asian countries for thousands of years, and as far as I know, with no reproductive problems like the ones they mention. I know it's often genetically modified, so I try to only buy non GMO and organic soy products. My kids are allergic to dairy and nuts, so we can't do cow's milk or nut milks. We can do rice milk, but since we eat a lot of brown rice/brown rice pasta, I don't want to overdo it with rice.

I think, like pps have mentioned, that different people's bodies require different types of nutrients. I haven't read the Nourishing Traditions book, but isn't part of the premise that you should eat the way your ancestors ate? There was another book about eating for your blood type that also specified certain foods that worked well with certain blood types. DH read it and quickly dismissed it because 'he would only be able to eat broccoli, while his girlfriend at the time would be able to eat all sorts of meat and yummy stuff'.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
Old 02-01-2009, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison's Mom View Post
For instance, soy, while a newish food in North America, has been consumed in Asian countries for thousands of years, and as far as I know, with no reproductive problems like the ones they mention.
I know this is true, but from what I understand it's not really easy to compare a traditional Asian diet with a modern, North American vegetarian's. I certainly don't think soy is all bad, and eat it in some cases, but I do think it can be overused, and I don't like that it seems to be in everything that is packaged.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 02-01-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:

Yup, I've been there. I had Sarah in a wrap on my back and the women in there absolutely gushed about her. Told me I should "market" the idea.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

Old 02-01-2009, 05:03 AM

well, the major difference between traditionally eaten soy and north american contemporary soy, besides genetic modification (all soy was once owned by monsanto, in my understanding) is that soy was always traditionally processed. folks didn't just eat soy plain like we do, it was prepared so that it was digestible. fermented soy like tamari and natto can be very healthy if prepared properly. i have some friends who swear by natto, based on its history, however the natto they are eating is full of msg. when we're having soy cheese, soy burgers, even soy milk, it hasn't been prepared properly.
when it comes right down to it, most folks don't know how to prepare grains properly either, by soaking, sprouting, fermenting, which is what is addressed by traditional foods, and the food that we buy hasn't been prepared adequately. so it is very complicated, and difficult terrain. the estrogenic qualities of soy are also troubling to me. i am relieved that we no longer have it in our diets. also, if you think about vegetarianism having an ecological influence, folks always talk about how cows produce tons of methane gas, etc., however i was reading that they clear lots of rainforest to grow soy, not just for human consumption, but to feed chickens. i much prefer a model of farming in which the animal's waste nourishes the land, and the cycle is sustaining.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 AM

There is some great reading to be had on the topic of soy destroying huge parcels of rainforest, as well as the lousy card US farmers have been dealt with regards to growing both soy and corn, complete with GMO seed and sprayed with matching pesticides in Barbara Kingsolver's book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle".
It is a very provocative and educational read no matter what you like to eat.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
Old 02-01-2009, 03:46 PM

Here's a link to page on my mom's blog that addresses her research on various soy myths: http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/3476771.htm, particularly the concerns of about estrogen and soy (which is also found in all cabbage family foods.

No, none of the vegans/vegetarians I know suffer from anything chronic, accept my mom has arthritis in her toes, but that's from bad shoes and flat feet.

Yes, soy farming is out of control, as happens with all mass produced, commercially used products. Like industrial beef production. It is bad, and certainly not good for the environment. But you can't paint a plant bad because of the way some people choose to produce it. That would be like calling cattle bad because of the way North Americans mass produce meat.

I totally agree with the moderation principle of eating...it also applies well to sustaining the earth, farming and cultivating in moderation.

What set me off is websites and organizations that make a living off of fear-mongering.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

oh, but soapboxes are fun!
I don't think that I have a soapbox. I too was (mostly) vegetarian for 12 years, mostly for environmental/ethical reasons.

I became less vegetarian as more ethically-raised meat became available, though I tend towards eating more vegetables and fruit and treating meat as an addition to a meal. I have a hard time balancing my dietary needs with my desire to eat ethically and locally.

I'm heading towards gluten free primarily because it will force me to cut carbs and also because as a type 1 diabetic, I am at high risk for celiac disease anyway. So I think it is better for me to do so. I suspect that just like milk, a lot of people have issues with gluten that are chronic. Dd has large black circles under her eyes and I wonder about those.

I also avoid drinking milk, though I eat large amounts of yogurt. The women in my family react to milk in a way that seems allergenic, but I have never had it show up on any tests. I get hives. I thought that it was the pesticides in milk, but since then I've discovered that I have the same problem with organic milk.

I don't have a problem with fermented soy and I am a little disturbed by the fact that people are so concerned about something that has been eaten by very healthy people for many years. I do think that it can cause issues when it is infused into everything processed that we eat. I don't want anything in everything I eat, no matter whether it's soy, meats, or celery for that matter. I was a great processed soy (burgers, "meat," dogs) devotee when I was a vegetarian.

I do have a problem with caffeine because I know my body craves it and gets addicted to it and reacts strongly to it. So I am working to limit this a bit more.

In general, I'm conscious of the ethical implications of my food and I try to be evidence-based in my eating. I'm not going to believe something because someone is trying to sell me a product. I like to do research on all sides and then come to a conclusion based on what my body is telling me. Like most of us here, I think!

By the way, my thyroid levels are whacky but not severly so, though I feel pretty wrecked. My doctor was 1.5 hours late so I didn't get to ask her everything, though she seems open to trying natural thyroid at some point. I'm going to ask for additional bloodwork at the 3 month appointment and also track temps, etc...to monitor the effectiveness of the synthetic thyroid meds.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Totally agree with Tricia, I loves me a good soapbox!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:01 PM

I'm stalking this forum today not-so-patiently waiting for the Feb thread to start so I can sub. I am determined to keep up with you all this month. And Feb's a short month so I think I can pull it off
Old 02-01-2009, 09:01 PM

oh, happy february!

does anyone use 'ecoballs' from ecozone? to replace their laundry soap? or is this just a uk thing?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 PM

My first Vancouver Thread :
Come into February...

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

User Tag List