IVF in Montreal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2009, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking into undergoing IVF in the greater Montreal area, and I wanted Dr and clinic recommendations. Between the exchange rate and the all-around lower costs, plus we have friends and family near Montreal, I could spend the same $10k (including drugs, because for $10k here I can get IVF, if I buy the drugs for another god-only-knows how much(lots more)) But I wonder about the odds of getting a good clinic when what I'm googling up has all prices listed, and how do I know its even a good clinic? Then I hear about looooooooooong waits for elective procedures in Canada. So for those of you that have done IVF, in Canada, preferably in the Montreal area, what can you tell me about it? Can you recommend a Dr or a clinic? Tell me what I need to know, because I DO know I can not afford the $30k a shot I've been told it'll take here in CT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 04:03 AM

McGill's fertility clinic is supposed to be pretty outstanding. I had a friend who used them and said she got really supportive and compassionate care... that's about all I know.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:51 PM

I have a friend that went through IVF here a few years ago. I think she used a clinic in the MUHC system (M stands for McGill) but I don't know which one in particular. In any case, if you are not Canadian or don't have a Carte Soleil you may have great difficulty booking an appointment in a reasonable amount of time. The Quebec healthcare system is extremely backed up, and will proritize those who actually have a right to be using it over someone that wants to come here for an elective procedure from another system. You would also likely need a referral to the IVF doc and clinic in the first place - that's the way our system works - from a Family Doctor here in Quebec. Again, huge shortage of family docs - 25% of Quebecers are without a family doctor, which is a problem since it's a gatekeeper system. I'm not saying don't try it, but just trying to prepare you for potential disappointment and road blocks. Most Americans don't know much about the Canadian healthcare system and how it works.

Also, my friend had to wait for 2 years (on the waiting list) before she was able to begin her treatment. I'd imagine since you're not in the system that you would have to wait that long or longer. Elective procedures often get bumped here due to the dr./nurse/operating room shortages. It might be easier to do it where you live, even if, on paper, it costs more.

:
Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 PM

If I'm not mistaken (I have a colleague who did in vitro about 8 months ago and is going to give birth any day now to twins) in vitro isn't covered in the national health plan (or at least not in Quebec).
(Which I find scandulous....but that's a different thread in a different forum)
This means that when you go to a clinic for reproductive issues, most of the time you'll pay out of pocket anyways.
Here is the McGill link (it seems they have experience with taking American patients)
http://www.mcgillivf.com/e/mcgillIVF...80HIA&page=175
http://www.mcgillivf.com/e/mcgillIVF...80HIA&page=202
Here are a few others in Montreal, just to compare. (Looks like the Montreal fertility clinic also has experience with international patients)
http://www.montrealfertility.com/MAIN.HTML
http://www.montrealfertility.com/INTERNATIONAL.HTML
http://www.cliniqueovo.com/english/index.asp
http://www.procrea.com/en/aboutus.html

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

Old 01-26-2009, 08:52 PM

By the way, both Montreal Fertility clinic and McGill have very good reputations. Most people from out of town tend to flock to McGill because of its reknowned University, but my colleague used the Montreal clinic and was very happy.

Good luck! If you'd like any more information, let me know. If you'd like, I could also contact my work colleague and ask her for the name of the doctor who treated her. PM me if that's the case.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:59 PM

I don't know anything about IVF in Canada, but I can tell you about my experience in the States. My total IVF cost will be $9500 (meds, procedures, and monitoring) It would be about $1200 more with ICSI. If you go to a clinic in America you can check out all the statistics on the CDC.gov site. The most recent data is 2005, but for our clinic success rates were about 60% under age 35. I also was able to start the process 1 week after our initial consult. Might be worth looking into based on other posts...

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

Old 01-27-2009, 12:03 AM

Just to be clear:
In vitro in Canada is totally private, and it doesn't matter if you have a Canadian health care card or not. They'll treat you if you can pay. I think the rates are a bit cheaper for Canadian residents, but in vitro in Canada is NOT a part of the public health care system.
Therefore the previous posts warning about lines and complications...that's true about the Canadian health care system, but NOT reproductive medicine (in vitro etc.).

Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollycrand View Post
Just to be clear:
In vitro in Canada is totally private, and it doesn't matter if you have a Canadian health care card or not. They'll treat you if you can pay. I think the rates are a bit cheaper for Canadian residents, but in vitro in Canada is NOT a part of the public health care system.
Therefore the previous posts warning about lines and complications...that's true about the Canadian health care system, but NOT reproductive medicine (in vitro etc.).
IVF is part of the Quebec healthcare system for women aged 40 and under. It is not entirely compensated, but unlike in the US it is not entirely out of pocket either. My warning about lines and complications are based on actual experiences of a friend with...lines and complications. Here in Quebec. Also, it is part of the refundable tax-credit system. In fact, Charest is working on making IVF in Quebec entirely free; it was part of his last campaign.

:
Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 PM

I personally can find absolutely no information that tells me that in vitro is covered (not even a little bit) by Quebec health care - I'm talking about the process itself. Most of the tests required to go through in vitro would most likely be covered.
http://www.familyhelper.net/iy/news/...quebecivf.html

If you have a link that indicates that it IS covered, please post it. I'm still learning about the whole Quebec health care system.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs89 View Post
IVF is part of the Quebec healthcare system for women aged 40 and under. It is not entirely compensated, but unlike in the US it is not entirely out of pocket either. My warning about lines and complications are based on actual experiences of a friend with...lines and complications. Here in Quebec. Also, it is part of the refundable tax-credit system. In fact, Charest is working on making IVF in Quebec entirely free; it was part of his last campaign.
Charest is working on having only the first two tries for in vitro paid for by the health care system. Nothing is entirely free...the taxes we pay will pay for that.

In the in vitro clinics that have a different (more expensive) price list for non-residents (ie Americans), I'd be very surprised if they had a two year waiting list for patients who want to pay out of pocket. I'm speaking about non-residents.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you SO MUCH for all this information. We've opted to go with Montreal or McGill becuse we have both family and friends in the area, and the exchange rate is in our favor right now. I was quote $10k withOUT meds for 1 round of IVF here in CT, so we're looking at about half that, including meds to go to McGill. Our insurance refuses to cover any infertility treatments, so I'm looking at it as a way to get IVF for less money, but also a way to visit with friends and family I don't see that often.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:22 PM

Good luck!
Wishing you success!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:11 AM

It seems that the previous posters weren't responding from personal experiences. I have been to McGill 3 times now and have had very little waiting time to have the first consult. Then my start cycle was right away! It took me a long time to get all the required tests in though. It is also great that when you live away (like myself) you don't have to be there in person for the first meeting.
I have been very happy with the services they can provide. I did the natural cycle IVF w/ ICSI (no meds) as we have male factor. And need I say more we have two wonderful healthy babies.
I loved being in Montreal and we hope to return for another child in the future. All the best and enjoy.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

User Tag List