Vancouverish Tribe - February: Thinking of Flowers - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Elena for the review on Maynards!
I tried to go today and actually got there but it was absolutely insane. They're doing construction right by the Maynards parking and 2-3 blocks around it so parking was very scarce. The actual parking lot is tight and there was a lot of heavy machinery around. It was packed. I couldn't stand it and just left.

We ended up at Granville Isl. instead and had a nice time there.

I didn't miss much at Maynards it sounds like. I was mainly looking for cloth pull-ups for Emma. Its just as well I didn't go cause I probably would've *had* to get something to make it worth my drive down there. As it was, I only spent my money on some jelly doughnuts.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 02:23 AM

New West Homelearners' Program Open House

Tomorrow, Feb 6th from 10:00-11:30.

The Learning Centre is located at 314 6th Street, New Westminster (enter off Blackford Street).

Crafts & refreshments will be available, and staff and parents will be on hand to show you around and answer any questions you may have regarding the
program. If you have any questions, you can contact Roberta Oxenbury
by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at 604-517-5917 or you can PM me directly.

Hope to see some of you there!

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 AM

groceries in the states: they do have a lot of easy, healthy snack options -- there is a great line of organic yogurt tubes (like 'go-gurts' but organic and sweetened naturally) and my favorite, pre-cut cracker sized cheese (real cheese) slices -- much easier to just walk into a store and walk out with an impromptu picnic, and have easy things on hand to grab and go... not to mention newman o's :sheepish... and don't get me started on california produce...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post
I can't bear the thought of putting him to sleep at this stage (he's not in pain, just feels crummy), but I'm also about the cost of all this.
aw lori, that sucks, I'm sorry you're having to make such a hard decision! fwiw, I think I would probably put the poor guy to sleep, and not entirely for altruistic reasons ... but that's just me, and I can see also not being able to do that... our two cats are on bowen, and we're not moving back to bowen, but when we return to north america I'm really torn about whether we'll retrieve them from cat paradise there -- I think it's better for them to stay where they are, but I don't know if our family could handle it, as they truly are the best cats ever and we would miss them so...

ok, so is kombucha those fermenting mushroom looking fungus globs? my step-mom's entire family was drinking that tea (if it's what I think it is) way back in the 90's to heal all their ailments. I have been wondering if I'm remembering the name right, and you guys are the only ones I can ask...

off to watch eagle vs. shark! good old kiwi humor!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yep Tiffani, that's kombucha

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 02-06-2009, 04:39 PM

I've been thinking about trying kombucha, but that doesn't sound so good. I have a thing about fungus, because I hate mushrooms. They may be my least favourite food in the world. What does kombucha actually taste like?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 02-06-2009, 06:24 PM

The kombucha that I tasted was made from a combo of green tea and black tea and had honey added to it, so it tasted like fizzy sweet tea. It was yummy, and I'm a pretty squeamish person (which is why I initially took a tiny sip!)

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 PM

Thanks to whoever posted about the HT sale. It was great! Got lots of good stuff.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi everyone ... just a quick note to let the lowermainlandersofmdc know that we had our wee girl a week ago today!
:
We didn't get our homebirth, but I did get to labour and deliver naturally at BC Women's after the midwives induced with a nasty verbena induction cocktail due to pre-eclampsia. Our daughter had a little rough go at the beginning, but is now thriving and nursing like a champ!
We might be shuffling your way down the Sea-to-Sky ... as DP's job in Whistler is ending. Perhaps I can play along with you lovelies!

On that note ... anyone know of a place to buy? 2 bedrooms and a yard? Condo or townhouse? East Van-ish? Takes pets?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Congrats on your sweet beautiful baby girl!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 PM

congratulations on your baby girl, she's adorable!!! good luck househunting as well!!

thanks tricia! you don't eat the actual fungus bit (or at least you weren't supposed to in the 90's, maybe things have changed... ) you just drink the tea that the fungus has been fermenting (?) in, and while it looks pretty rank, it doesn't taste bad.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

What a beautiful little baby you have :

Congrats

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 02-08-2009, 12:05 AM

I think I have some kumbucha scobies - I would love for someone to teach me how to use them!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:08 AM

Congratulations on your little girl, happy babymoon!

About the kombucha- it's not a fungus at all but a scoby (symbiotic organism of bacteria and yeasts)

It is NOT recommended that one starts to consume it during pregnancy or while nursing as it is thought to facitlitate detoxifying your body.

If anyone is considering trying it it is often recommended that you start with just a small amount and work your way up to more as you can have a reaction (apparently a detox reaction).

HTH
Old 02-08-2009, 01:12 AM

Congrats on your new baby girl - she's gorgeous!

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 AM

Congratulations, Starling&diesel, on the birth of your beautiful baby girl :...Saturday is a great day to have a baby!

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 AM

Starling&diesel: Congratulations! She's beautiful!

I've had it with this bug. The kids are cranky. I'm exhausted. DS1 just got hit this morning (he's been fighting it for a few days) and can barely do anything but lie down on the couch. I mean - he's an active 15 year old boy, and he didn't finish his supper! DD and ds2 are kind of over it, but not quite, yk?

DH has been amazing, but he's back at work tomorrow. I think it's going to be a long couple days. I just hope the kidlets are okay by the time Hula Hoot comes around. They're not going to be happy if they have to miss it!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 02-09-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
Am I the only one (besides dh & ds) who finds this [coconut oil chocolate] tastes very weird & somewhat icky?? Dd loves it! How much should I let her eat?
Anyone??

Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

: bedbugs!!!!
Anyone else ever been infested?

Cayden and I are going to spending tons of time at my moms while we get fumigated.
ugh!

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

Old 02-09-2009, 05:32 AM

aw, dawn that sucks!!! we thought we had bed bugs once but it turned out to be fleas -- much easier to get rid of!!!! are you sure it's bed bugs? yek.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes! We had an expert lady come in yesterday. Luckly the home point was just one of our couches...but sadly that still means we need to treat our entire house. I just have to tell myself its better timing now then in April

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that, Dawn. A friend of mine had it about a year ago and from what he and his wife went through, it's a lot of work for the homeowner to get their place ready for the pest control people to come in and do their thing. Hugs!

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM

That really sucks about your bedbugs Dawn! I hope the spraying takes care of it once and for all and it's not too disruptive

Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM

Re: coconut oil chocolate:

Sea Island - if you'll post the recipe for the chocolate - I'll try it and let you know! I am very curious to try it!
Artparent, what recipe do you use?

Congratulations on your wee girl Starling - she is absolutely lovely!
Old 02-09-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
It feels like we are moving in 2 days : I never realized how hard packing up all your stuff in a short amount of time can be so draining. Because usually when we are actually moving, we have at least 2 weeks if not 4 weeks.

At least we have gotten tv watching time for ds to only 2 days a week so I don't feel so bad about him watching it a bit more yesterday and today.

I wouldn't wish bedbugs on my worst enemy.

Oh and we started ds in speech therapy. We have had one appointment already and we got so many great ideas on how to promote speech, that I'm really hopeful The lady we have is awesome, and I'm so glad we decided to go this route.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

Old 02-09-2009, 07:29 PM

hurrah starling, she's gorgeous! you look so happy! may i recommend east of main? or hell, main itself, in this market perhaps!

sea island, coconut oil is a strong anti-fungal, so you might want to start with the equivalent of a teaspoon of it a day and work your way up...it isn't going to hurt her, just she might have healing reactions if needs to heal anything, which is great, but all at once can be overwhelming. it is a great thing for her to eat, so if she likes it, fabulous! as for you not liking it, well, was it virgin coconut oil for sure, and do you like stevia, and lastly, if you currently eat sugar, and real chocolate, this stuff is going to be so different for you, but if you avoid those things, these are like heaven...you could try it with peppermint oil, or something else, as well. or half butter. it isn't necessary to make chocolates out of coconut oil to increase your consumption of it, you could just cook with it.

we went to meet our dear new cousin, he is absolutely darling, and the girls are in love. i got a little broody. he looks like he could be their little brother. i sent my sil a hotsling, and she waited for me to show her. well, he got in there and turned into a different baby - a peaceful, gaze-about, sleep-for-hours, contented baby. suffice to say they are both in love with the sling. i am encouraging that she can't spoil him by slinging him, don't put him down! she doesn't want to put him down, and promptly made us all tea because her hands were free! :

he's a formula kid and has lots of tummy problems from it..anyone have suggestions for what she can do to help him? she's in england, so maybe better formulas aren't available...i should go and look this up somewhere on mothering..i'd love directions. my big girl is very, very sad that he isn't nursing. i'd love to nurse him just to give him a spot of something good, it really struck me that he'll be eating the same flavour for months before he gets to taste food! nursing babies are so lucky. my 3.3 year old is still nursing a lot.

we got more snow here, and then in b'ham when we were there, everytime i want to travel anywhere! i am ready for spring.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Does anyone here know where to buy Motherease bedwetter nighttime dipes locally? Or even if its possible to buy them locally? I'd rather not order them on line if I can't see them in person first. I know Discount Diapers used to carry Motherease stuff, but now that they're going belly up...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

artparent,
is he on soy or dairy? Dairy is better for babies apparently, so I'd try a different brand. If there is still a problem try switching to soy as he might be sensitive to dairy.
And if he's having constipation issues try a formula with no iron.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for all your kind words about our new wee one! :
She's dreamy. We think she rocks.

artparent ... we're looking exactly east of Main and Main itself. Wish us luck! We're looking at a couple places this week, I think. Travelling up and down the Sea-to-Sky with a newborn should be fun!

dawncayden ... nasty little buggers! I'm sending you zap-'em-dead vibes: :

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
he's a formula kid and has lots of tummy problems from it..anyone have suggestions for what she can do to help him? she's in england, so maybe better formulas aren't available...i should go and look this up somewhere on mothering..i'd love directions. my big girl is very, very sad that he isn't nursing. i'd love to nurse him just to give him a spot of something good, it really struck me that he'll be eating the same flavour for months before he gets to taste food! nursing babies are so lucky. my 3.3 year old is still nursing a lot.
Look on the label and see if there is trypsin added. It is a digestive enzyme that makes the formula easier to digest.

Can't blame your little one for being sad that he's not nursing! Don't suppose mom is interested in relactating? You can always float the idea by her unless she's not breastfeeding because of some other issue.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 02-10-2009, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

It's funny, ds is going to be disappointed that I won't be using bottles he's a huge helper to my single friend who is using formula and ds LOVES to help feed him.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

User Tag List