A single green sprouting thing
would restore me. . . .

Then think of the tall delphinium,
swaying, or the bee when it comes
to the tongue of the burgundy lily.

by Jane Kenyon

Welcome lower mainland mamas!
(and mamas to be)
All local mamas are welcome here! Visitors are welcome to pop in too. We are brought together by our passion for conscious/thoughtful/attachment/respectful/wholistic/natural parenting, not always agreeing on the path but agreeing to respectfully discuss, share, and learn together. Feel free to join in the conversation and introduce yourself!

This is our thread for chatting online, discussing issues relevant to the Lower Mainland, and arranging meetings in real life. If you have issues and questions that are not specific to the Vancouver area, please start a new thread in the appropriate MDC forum (e.g. breastfeeding, discipline, health, etc.). You can also post a link to your topic in this thread if you are requesting input from your tribe members. This allows us to

1. adhere to MDC guidelines;
2. keep questions and responses organized; and
3. reduce thread traffic and allow readers more control over which discussions they engage in.

Meet-ups are sporadic and include gatherings at parks, Science World, and people's homes. Anyone is welcome to suggest a gathering time/place. Meet-ups are either announced in the meet-up thread in the Canada Forum or here.

Remember that to get email notification of new posts in this thread, you can post to this thread to subscribe or you can use 'thread tools' and click 'subscribe'.

Please note that our Vancouver(ish) Tribe has other threads in the Canada Forum, including:

* Vancouver(ish) Meet-up thread
* Knitting Group Thread: look in the Canada forum
* Vancouver(ish) Doctors for Children
* Vancouver(ish) Dental Resources for Children
* FAQ: Greater Vancouver Area Liveability and Affordability

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#2 of 244 Old 02-01-2009, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just popping in to say "hi". I don't actually subscribe, anymore - my mailbox is already overflowing, and I'm trying to cut down on my PC time a little. I'm guessing I'll only have moderate success with that until baby-under-construction is mobile (I tend to spend a lot of time online when I'm pregnant and when I've got a frequently nursing baby).

The food discussion is interesting. I do really poorly with food. I eat a mostly healthy diet by "mainstream" standards (lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains, cook from scratch - not much processed food), but I could do a lot better. We do eat packaged cereal, and that doesn't thrill me much. (I mostly eat oatmeal, and/or hard-boiled eggs, but dh and ds1 eat cereal.) We also eat a lot of meat. We've been gradually trimming down portion sizes, but we still eat it a lot...every day at dinner. I keep meaning to try to find some meatless recipes and see how they go over, but I never seem to do it. DH and I both dislike tofu, but I could at least try some bean based meals and see how the family likes those.

We're also big dairy consumers. DS1 drinks a lot of milk, and I use it in cooking. We also eat a lot of cheese, a fair amount of yogurt (I buy it - keep thinking I'll make it, but never do) and we're butter fiends. What I really need to do is get this place organized so I can store equipment to make more of my own food...yogurt, canned fruit, etc.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#3 of 244 Old 02-01-2009, 09:01 PM

thanks dawn good february to everyone. after being snowed in in vancouver, i am now snowed in in london. : people say, "it's coming in from russia" well. that's something i've just never heard, it sounds so exotic! alaska, maybe, not russia!!

#4 of 244 Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 PM

ok, i'm subbing right away... let's see if I can keep up...
#5 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post

Speaking of medical...I am now autoimmune hypothyroid, apparently. I am very sad that my body keeps on doing this.
aw tricia, that sucks! mark is currently avoiding all grains, and taking almost no insulin whatsoever, as a point of possible interest to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
the doctors at the diabetes clinic freak at coconut oil
do they still freak about avocadoes too? any saturated fat is the issue, right? Does anyone know if there are any diabetes researchers who are up-to-date on the effects of saturated fats on diabetics? because I feel like they're still relying on research from the '80's... (can you tell I've had this discussion in my house? )

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#6 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 12:51 AM

i'd like to know, too! saturated fats would slow the uptake of sugars, and would chelate out chemicals, so i can't think why there would be a problem!

that is so great, tiffani! now if you told him he could eat lots of butter and unsmoked, unsweetened bacon, would he be an even happier man?

#7 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 AM

the issue for diabetics and saturated fat is with the added risk of heart disease that diabetics have, though I am wondering if that is due to the fact that if a person develops type 2 diabetes, they may also have other risk factors for heart disease. when you have diabetes, the sugar in your blood can damage your veins and arteries, leaving "scratches" that can then fill up with saturated fats, so the theory goes, leading to artheriosclerosis and heart attacks/disease. BUT, if all the fat=heart problems theories are incorrect, then it wouldn't be an issue, correct?

mark struggles with the fact that most meat is not treated very well before it ends up on our plates. I agree, but being the one to feed all of us, it's really hard to find things to feed us when we're trying to avoid grains and soy (still eat it, just not as much as we did) when he throws these obstacles in my way. I think the farms here are not quite as bad as in the US, but I could be deluding myself... I did just find a fabulous nitrate free bacon here, but don't see much in the way of organic meat. I can't even begin to convey how expensive things are here. that bacon I mentioned? 12 bucks for 300 grams, just as one example. I did find a raw milk supply, though, just have to get that organized... maybe the raw milk people know of a good organic meat supply that doesn't cost so much...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#8 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Saf

Hey All! I don't come here frequently, but I just thought I'd drop by and mention that the Bikram's Yoga in New West - which is directly across the street from Columbia Skytrain - now has childminding for their 9:30 classes on Mon, Wed & Fri.

More info here: http://www.locktheknee.com/childminding.html
#9 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 AM

that's interesting tiffani. worth some research.

ah yes, how is it that the u.s. and canada are still by and large so cheap for food? the only thing cheap here was canned tuna, and that just went up in price

you might like to get a big freezer and see about buying a big cow. the great thing about where you are is that everything is required to be grassfed! so your butter is amazing, they import it here, yum! and your meat is going to be so much better than most places. obviously your raw milk would be that much more amazing. lucky duck! you might want to just do some reading up and asking around.

#10 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 AM

Ah, diet. My feeling towards vegetarianism and veganism is simple: humans are omnivores and so that represents our optimal diet. With that said, genetic variation means that individuals might need to tweak things, and that might explain why some people do fine on a veggie diet and some don't.

The problem with "traditional" diets as being the gold standard is that what constitutes a traditional diet varies widely depending on the culture, location, and point in history.

I try to live by Michael Pollan's advice: eat [real] food (as in, not processed stuff), not too much, mostly plants. I am sure that soy is healthy but not when it's an additive in virtually everything. Seems like soy and corn are pretty much one and the same in terms of the food industry. Avoiding processed foods seems the easiest way to get around this.

I only buy ethical meat now, which means we pay a lot more, and eat a lot less of it. I consider it a great tradeoff. I still need to work on eating more fruit and veggies, especially in the winter. Over the summer when my veggie garden was producing it was so much easier! ;-)

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#11 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
aw tricia, that sucks! mark is currently avoiding all grains, and taking almost no insulin whatsoever, as a point of possible interest to you.

do they still freak about avocadoes too? any saturated fat is the issue, right? Does anyone know if there are any diabetes researchers who are up-to-date on the effects of saturated fats on diabetics? because I feel like they're still relying on research from the '80's... (can you tell I've had this discussion in my house? )
On this topic, I have a question about a friend who is not very proactive with her health ...she has been having a lot of low blood sugars lately (not sure why), but when she asked her dr. if she should reduce her insulin, he said, 'No'...any thoughts? Sorry to bring something like this here, but I don't know who else to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi! View Post
We make lots of chocolate with coco powder, stevia, pinch of salt and melted coconut oil. Put in molds/pan/bowl in freezer. . . :
Am I the only one (besides dh & ds) who finds this tastes very weird & somewhat icky?? Dd loves it! How much should I let her eat?

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#12 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 11:59 AM

Subbing...(If I actually remember to click the button...)

Lisa, don't feel bad about not having the best diet, I'm in the same boat. I think what should be said here is that diets are a very personal thing and there is no *best* diet. Its all dependent on personal choices and tastes, ethics, and finances.

I know our family could probably eat better, but I'm just happy to have everyone eatting something mostly healthy, most of the time, thats not going to break the bank, and stress me out. I don't think think feeling guilt over not eating what everyone else is, is helpful.

On another note... did anyone else get snow most of the day yesterday? The white stuff actually stuck around till late afternoon!

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#13 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 02:46 PM

During the day we got slush, which didn't stick at all. But on my way home from work at midnight, I noticed a bunch of snow on cars and stuff just on this little 2 block stretch where I turn from Kingsway south onto Rupert - down Dawncayden's way. Weird. But this is proper Vancouver snow - I can totally deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saf View Post
Hey All! I don't come here frequently, but I just thought I'd drop by and mention that the Bikram's Yoga in New West - which is directly across the street from Columbia Skytrain - now has childminding for their 9:30 classes on Mon, Wed & Fri.

More info here: http://www.locktheknee.com/childminding.html
Thanks for posting that... it's one of my issues with exercise, since my local community ctr doesn't appear to have any childminding, which has slowed down my progress in getting over there to sign up... Yep, it's all their fault my butt is getting bigger!

As for diet, I'm kind of in a "sick of it all" zone. For Calvin, because he is sensitive to soy and corn, we have to avoid almost all processed foods. But he is also sensitive to eggs, dairy and until yesterday, we'd never even tried nuts, so he had to have meat. I just couldn't think what meatless dishes I could give him that would be protein-rich that he could eat, what with all his sensitivities. (Most fruits, including tomatoes and peppers). Like, he can't just have pasta with cream or tomato sauce. It's just so complicated. I try to reduce our meat intake. I'll buy one steak and cut it up in thin strips for a big ol' stirfry with tons of veggies, that works well. And I have to admit that although I pay premium for free-range eggs, I haven't gotten around to buying anything beyond regular meat. Occasionally I'll buy organic meat, but it's just so much more expensive (yes, I know it represents more of the real cost...) that my frugal self just can't quite do it.

But right now, what with having to assist-feed my sick cat a million times a day and feeding Calvin, I just can't bear thinking about food for the rest of my family. So we're eating a lot of crap these days. And now DH may have high blood pressure in addition to his messed up lipids (very high triglycerides and slightly high cholesterol, but decent good:bad cholesterol ratio).

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#14 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Hello all!
I am enjoying the discussion on nutrition. Re. the Bee link that's been posted, is there somewhere on the site that outlines the actual diet they recommend? I have only found the supplement lists so far. Maybe I am not looking in the right place. Its intriguing, but I find the site cumbersome!

I have been wondering about my thyroid levels for a long time. I have struggled with my weight and energy levels since having children and despite working out regularly and eating pretty well, I cant lose a single pound and I'm tired all the time! I have only had the basic test my GP ordered so far. What tests do those of you in the know recommend?
#15 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 05:07 PM

Robug, generally they will only run a TSH test and IF that comes back out of the "normal" range then they will run the others. Sometimes you can bully your doctor into running the other tests anyways.

My problem is with what they consider to be "normal". My normal level is in the 2.1-2.3 range. I feel good, not too tired, I don't gain excessive amounts of weight, etc. I was feeling unwell in my early 20's and due to family history that was one of the tests that I had them run. I was at 0.83. Clearly this is low for ME, but still well within what the medical profession considers to be normal. I was SICK, I couldn't get out of bed, but they refused to treat me as hypothyroid beause I was still "normal". It did eventually correct itself and I have tested 2.1-2.3 ever since, so it was due to some underlying condition, maybe diet (come to think of it that was when I wasn't eating any meat....), but they wouldn't look any further for me to determine what the problem was. (I went to live with my parents and they nursed me back to health.)

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#16 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
Ah, diet. My feeling towards vegetarianism and veganism is simple: humans are omnivores and so that represents our optimal diet. With that said, genetic variation means that individuals might need to tweak things, and that might explain why some people do fine on a veggie diet and some don't.
Yep, pretty much what I think. I like ideas in the paleo diets, since I think that the majority of humans would have existed on way fewer processed carbs than we do today, some meat, a lot of vegetables, and dried or fresh fruit.

Tiffani, I am trying to overhaul the carbs once again. I have the added joy of "certain times of the month," so sometimes I just have to take great whacks of insulin to overcome that. Overall, my management has been ok, but exercising and hormones are my biggest challenges.

Nope, the nurses at the clinic don't mind avocadoes. It's the saturated fat-coconut oil thing. I had an excellent discussion with one of them last June about the benefits and drawbacks of frying with a myriad of different oils. I only see them once a year and I mostly treat it as a chance to go over bloodwork with them.

I'm curious to see what the thyroid stuff will do to my blood sugars. So far, not much. I am feeling a lot better, even after taking it for 2 days. It's amazing how bad you can feel and not realize that you're feeling bad. It's been a couple of months of gradually feeling worse.

Caution: A Whole Whack of Diabetes Management Stuff Ahead
Kept here in case anyone else wants to comment/finds it relevant

seaislandmama, does your friend go to a diabetes clinic? They can be very helpful for those who are learning how to manage things with insulin. Is she type 1 or type 2? Lows can be caused by many things.

Exercise greatly increases the action of insulin, so if you take the insulin you need for a meal and then head out for a walk, you're probably going to go low. Prolonged exercise also has an overall impact on blood sugar - makes it lower.

I also find that when I am ovulating, I go low much more often (sorry if TMI!). Apparently this is not all that common, but I certainly notice it. I have to cut way back on the insulin.

Meals:
If she is following an exchange diet or taking set doses of insulin at certain times of day, she may not be eating enough carbohydrates to cover the insulin. For example, if she normally eats a sandwich at lunch and decides to eat a salad and meat instead, she'd go low because salad and meat don't have many carbs (unless you eat a LOT of croutons!).

If she counts carbohydrates (a more intensive way to manage your blood sugars, and more accurate), then she might be overestimating the amount of carbohydrates in her meal and taking too much insulin.

Finally, if she has changed the amount of fat or fibre in her diet, those things (especially fat) slow down the absorbtion of carbohydrates. So you can go low after a meal and go high later.

Basal Insulin:
She is likely taking a dose of insulin before bed, called basal insulin. This covers the sugar your liver makes, and it works all day. Some basal insulins work more at some times than at others (they peak), so she might be going low when the basal peaks.

Also, if you are on a shot of basal insulin and not on a pump, you must eat carbohydrate snacks between meals so you don't go low.

Anyway, I think that diabetes clinics are great resources for those just starting out. I find that putting the time into diabetes management makes blood sugars a lot better, though it can be much more tiring and complex!

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#17 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
On this topic, I have a question about a friend who is not very proactive with her health ...she has been having a lot of low blood sugars lately (not sure why), but when she asked her dr. if she should reduce her insulin, he said, 'No'...any thoughts? Sorry to bring something like this here, but I don't know who else to ask.
Tricia pretty well said it all! Diabetes is an incredibly difficult condition to manage -- you're essentially always monitoring and chasing your blood sugar levels. It's always either going up or down, you always have to be thinking about how food (carbs, really), exercise, stress, hormone levels , are affecting it, and you're bound to have highs and lows, especially if you're type 1. mark was starting to have a lot of panic attacks when he was keeping his blood sugar lower (thereby having a lot of lows) so his endocrinologist suggested not being so regimented, and trying to keep it on the upper end of "normal". He will let it go a little higher if he's about to do something where he won't have control of the situation, like going on a hike, out on a boat or taking public transit -- going for a hike is an entirely different experience, and we've had to leave early more than once because his blood sugar is going low and we don't have any more juice or anything to bring it back up. He and I are both getting better at making sure we have plenty of everything, but honestly, I can totally see where some people just throw up their hands and ignore it as much as they can, because it affects your entire life, and it's hard to make the big changes required for a lot of people.

#18 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 PM

Hey all
Has anyone been to Maynards to check out the Discount Diaper stuff? Are there really good deals? Is it worth going to?
(I shopping, and baby stuff is just about the best!)

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#19 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Lisa, don't feel bad about not having the best diet, I'm in the same boat. I think what should be said here is that diets are a very personal thing and there is no *best* diet. Its all dependent on personal choices and tastes, ethics, and finances.

I know our family could probably eat better, but I'm just happy to have everyone eatting something mostly healthy, most of the time, thats not going to break the bank, and stress me out. I don't think think feeling guilt over not eating what everyone else is, is helpful.
You're right. It's not helpful. In my case, it's actually likely to trigger junk food binges. I have a messed up emotional thing about food (not uncommon, I suspect), and one of the ways it manifests is that the worse I feel about myself - even if I'm feeling bad about eating too much junk! - the more likely I am to eat a bunch of crap.

I mostly just want to get us to cut down on the meat. It's so expensive, and we don't always buy ethical meat, although I'm working on that, too. I'd like to go lower on quantity, higher on quality. The thing is...dh and ds1 aren't big on that idea. They like to eat quite a lot of meat...

I also wish I could find/make more non-processed quick snack foods...my kids want to live on goldfish and/or cheddar bunnies...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#20 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 PM

i'm thinking about quilting (because i've got so much time on my hands ) and i wonder anyone would reveal their sources!

#21 of 244 Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi mamas! I agree about the difficulty of feeling satisfied with how healthy you are eating. I have made a ton of positive changes in our diets over the past six months, focusing on really high quality (read $$$$$$!) meats and dairy, plus some appropriate supplements, but I still feel like it's so overwhelming and I keep realizing things that I could or should be doing differently. I think the key is to take it step by step and be happy about moving in the right direction. It's not realistic to suddenly eat "the perfect diet" overnight, and in fact it's better for you to make small changes continuously (so you can track how your body responds to the changes). Having some momentum in the right direction is important and you have to remember to celebrate that!

Maybe we could each share a couple of things we have done to improve our diets (including sources, if appropriate) so we can build on each others' successes?

//ememers

Mama to DS1 wave.gif (born at 32.5 weeks in Dec 2009) and DS2 and DS3 angel2.gif angel2.gif (born at 23 weeks in Oct 2013). 
#22 of 244 Old 02-03-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I also wish I could find/make more non-processed quick snack foods...my kids want to live on goldfish and/or cheddar bunnies...
I keep these things on hand: a couple blocks of different cheeses in the fridge, some whole grain crackers, grapes, apples, dried fruit (apricots, raisins, dates), cashews for quick protein, carrots, and cucumber. Oh, and yoghurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
i'm thinking about quilting (because i've got so much time on my hands ) and i wonder anyone would reveal their sources!
I go to Fabricana as a one-stop shop, and also "Quilted Treasures" in Coquitlam. I've been told by my ex-quilting teacher though to avoid the fabrics in Fabricland as they're most often 2nds and the quality is really poor as in colours run/fade, fabric is thin, and washes horribly.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#23 of 244 Old 02-03-2009, 03:41 AM

storm bride, I bake things in large quantities and put them in our freezer. Then I take them out for snacks. I also like those little baby carrots because dd adores carrots and I dislike peeling. Mostly I peel the big ones, though. We also eat fruit. Dd especially likes apples and pears, but I do need to core them. She's now reconciled herself to peels. We keep nuts and cheese around too. I avoid keeping crackers in the house because dd will head to the crackers and avoid everything else.

If your kids like apples but not peels, the Lee Valley apple corer/peeler is a fun toy!

Oh, and for good things I do: ordering from www.quinoa.com for steel cut oats, quinoa and buckwheat has been great. We also have a CSA share that keeps us heavily in salads for the summertime.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#24 of 244 Old 02-03-2009, 03:50 AM

Hello all!!!! Just a quick peek in from San Diego - happy February to you all! We're having a great time, exploring and hanging out, but I really miss you all and hanging out at our regular hangouts. It's amazing how lonely it can feel when you don't know where to shop, where to eat out, where to visit - always being a tourist can be draining! Plus, I wasn't really expecting it, but there's a fair amount of culture shock going on too - who knew?!!!!

As for diet, I agree that celebrating the steps towards a healthy diet is the way to stay positive - one thing that I started doing was introducing a morning smoothie that we all drink chock full of good stuff, and then I'm less worried all day long about what everyone is eating! Choices has frozen wheatgrass in their freezer section (pricey!), I'd add juice/almond milk/frozen berries and protein (we used hemp buds, found at Choices, Capers and Mainly Organics on Main St - my kids barely noticed this in the smoothie, but I haven't been able to find it here in the states and the stuff I did buy was powder and they HATE it!). Another trick I use is I cut up a bunch of veggies, or steam edemamae, and have an 'appetizer' while I'm making dinner - amazing how much they'll eat when they're hungry and there's nothing else to eat quite yet! Or baking crisps and cookies with ground up nuts, flax seeds, wheat germ, etc to boost the nutrition.

snacks: small yoghurts, nuts, edemame, frozen berries, homemade popsicles, popcorn, banana boats (nut butter inside a banana), toasted pumpkin seeds, veggie or pirates booty, nacho chips with avocado or yoghurt, granola, hummus and pita or veggies, dried fruits.....and of course, sometimes cheddar bunnies!!!! Or cookies/pie/cake/crisp - I love making those with the kids too!!!!!! (OR walking down to the nearest bakery as an outing when I'm too lazy to bake!)

Overall I agree with mariah, less processed is better. It's been a challenge eating here in the States, and finding quality food. We tend to google Whole Foods when we're going somewhere new, but when we end up with whatever is closest (ie in Anaheim) it's challenging to eat healthy. And I'm aghast at what people eat around us. When we were in the checkout at a Safeway one day, this couple behind us commented that we ate far too healthy, and everyone was looking at our kids unloading the cart. And we were chuckling, because we were stocking up on our 'junkier' travel foods there - mini flavoured yoghurts, crackers, nacho chips, etc along with fruits and veggies. Perhaps it was the fruits and veggies that threw them?!!!!!

I also think that re: vegetarianism, there's probably different types of people that it works well for, and others who need meat. Isn't it based on blood types? Also, there's vegetarians who eat well (lots of beans and various grains, tempeh, etc) and those that go for processed, convenient foods, and that probably affects their overall health. I was born and raised vegetarian, and I have many (not always positive!) memories of lentil loaves and eggplant dishes. We did eat fish and chicken off and on, but the majority of my childhood was meat free. We were always really healthy.....I mainly started eating meats as I was curious about what they tasted like, there were more ethical sources available, and I found it such a challenge to travel and really experience the culture as a vegetarian. Now I'd say 3/5 of my meals are still vegetarian, but more bean focused than soy.

Elisa, no great sources for you re: quilting, but while we were in Anaheim I needed a break from the Disney machine so we went to a little local museum - and there was an exhibit on 200 years of American quilts. Amazing work, and so very inspiring. I too would LOVE to take it up, but it'll have to stand in line behind my many other ambitions, and for a time when I have more time (will that ever happen?!!) I'll live vicariously through you for now!

okay, off to bed - sleep well everyone!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#25 of 244 Old 02-03-2009, 06:55 AM

Just an FYI for y'all: I was at Kingsgate Mall (Broadway & Kingsway) the other day, and the el-cheapo bookstore (Lely's) in there has branched out to Plan and Melissa & Doug toys, along with lots of high-end toy store stuff (games, etc). I enjoyed looking through there the other day. And it's all hiding way at the back - I went in looking for activity books, and I had no idea it was even there!

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#26 of 244 Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 PM

Popcorn with nutritional yeast (and butter)!!!! Yummy snack.

Erica - you bring up a great point about travel and vegetarianism. I spent three years traveling the world for my job and spent SO MUCH TIME worrying about what I was going to eat. I was hungry (really, really hungry), and missing out on almost all of the different cultures' food.

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#27 of 244 Old 02-03-2009, 01:02 PM

Hi Everyone- Happy February, I'm going to try to keep up this month although it might me hard as I have a packed month. Tyson is getting his adenoids and tonsils out a Children's on the 10th because his sleep apnea is causing severe lack of sleep and affecting all of us.

as for diet, we try to eat whole foods, little processed and as local and organic as possible. I'm having issues with my large intestine and bowels right now, mostly pain and bloat and have been put on a bland diet until the doctor can see if it is my IBS acting up or something new and fun to deal with . I wish it would stop as it is effecting my running and I have a race in 2 weeks.

I was at HTN last weekend and they have some great deals, I bought 2 wool/hemp sweaters that I paid $98 each for last year for $20 and a bunch of t-shirts for $7-10 each.
#28 of 244 Old 02-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post
Just an FYI for y'all: I was at Kingsgate Mall (Broadway & Kingsway) the other day, and the el-cheapo bookstore (Lely's) in there has branched out to Plan and Melissa & Doug toys, along with lots of high-end toy store stuff (games, etc). I enjoyed looking through there the other day. And it's all hiding way at the back - I went in looking for activity books, and I had no idea it was even there!
Not to rain on your parade, but their return policy is terrible, and their book prices inflated. I've been there a few times, they stamp their receipts "FINAL SALE". I think this might have changed since i was there, but I too thought it was a great store until I saw the receipt of an over-priced book I bought there. :
#29 of 244 Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
I keep these things on hand: a couple blocks of different cheeses in the fridge, some whole grain crackers, grapes, apples, dried fruit (apricots, raisins, dates), cashews for quick protein, carrots, and cucumber. Oh, and yoghurt.
I have most of those things, except the crackers. If I buy crackers, dh tends to inhale them. We tend to eat walnuts and almonds more than cashews, but our snacks are about what you have listed here. I also like baby carrots, but don't buy them that much, anymore. DS2 also loves those sugar snap peas, but dd doesn't, and I just noticed a while ago that they're produced or package or whatever in China. WTH? I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that we eat produce shipped from China.

Honestly, I don't think we do as badly as we could. In some ways, I did better with ds1, because he loved snacking on raw veggies (not usually dd or ds2's favourite) and I was so broke back then that I had to make every penny count. It's much easier to spend money on stuff I shouldn't these days. DH and I are hardly rolling in it, but I'm not in the "will the grocery money last the month?" state, anymore.

Going non-processed (mostly - making fairly steady progress, although, as with most aspects of my life, Aaron's death caused some setbacks) makes a huge difference. When I look at the packaging on a lot of processed snack foods, I actually get angry. Nutella's a good example. DS1 got hooked on it at his ex-girlfriend's, and brought some home for the little ones. They all love it. So...I'm looking at the package, and the front is all "skim milk, hazelnuts and a hint of cocoa", but when you read the label, sugar is one of the first ingredients. It just frustrates me, because I know a lot of people see the wholesome looking list on the front, and buy this stuff, thinking it's good for their kids. Yeah - people need to read labels, but it still drives me. People feed their families SO much junk, in the mistaken belief that it's healthy (gotta love the fruit snacks with "made with real juice", and the fine print says it's 10% real juice, and it's full of sugar and HFCS).

#30 of 244 Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 PM

erica I love grocery shopping in the states for that very reason! I feel like we're uber health nuts when I'm there! Pretty much any conventional grocery store can do that for me when I need a pick me up about our eating habits, even in canada and new zealand, but the US wins on sheer volume of crap, I think.

so I just wanted to also brag about lucy -- she auditioned for a theatre school and got in, hooray! I don't actually know if anyone *didn't* get in, but it was pretty nerve-wracking (for me as much as her I think) to go through the audition process. She wrote her own acting bit, and didn't really rehearse it enough to be super-duper comfortable with it, but she did fine and had fun, and that's what counts right?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page