Mamas in Kingston Ontario? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 03-02-2009, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just moved here and am loneellyyyyyy! I've joined a few playgroups but haven't found anyone I really click with yet. So...is anyone out there in or near Kingston Ontario?

I'm Megan , married to Steve, mama to Rowan (11/07) and thrilled to be 03/10!
#2 of 35 Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 AM

I'm in Belleville which is 45 mins to an hour west of you.

Mama, wife, labour doula and HALO labour doula instructor, fertility and maternity reflexologist, certified dancing for birth class instructor, placenta encapsulator and placenta encapsulation trainer, owner of By the Moon.

Happy hippy mama

#3 of 35 Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 PM

I'm about 1.25 hours north-east of Kingston. I don't get down that way much, as we're a one-car family, but I could swing things for a meet-up.

SkyMoma SAHM to 2 HL DDs
#4 of 35 Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 AM

Hey there! We're in Kingston. We might already know each other from playgroups but my name is Jeni and I have a 10 month old named Hayden.
Hope to see you around!
#5 of 35 Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 AM

I would love to find a playgroup! I live in the Henderson Place area here in KTown...I have a one month old and a two year old and the days are getting warmer and we need adult conversation! Anyone who enjoys fresh air and coffee and a good chat, please let me know before I get cabin fever!!!!
#6 of 35 Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna-belle View Post
Yep, that's where we are too! Welcome to MDC! :

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#7 of 35 Old 05-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna-belle View Post
I'm in Belleville too!

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#8 of 35 Old 08-16-2009, 02:51 AM

We're moving to Kingston in October for a year or so (we're newly military)... I have a five year old son... we're up for fun times!

#9 of 35 Old 08-16-2009, 12:01 PM

I forgot to update this thread - we moved to Kingston about a month ago. We're on Park St - a little south-east of the Kingston Centre.

Hope to meet you when you arrive Shaper. I've got a 4 year old girl and a nearly 9 year old girl.

SkyMoma SAHM to 2 HL DDs
#10 of 35 Old 08-29-2009, 08:30 PM

I know this thread was started a while ago, but if any of you mamas are still following it--how do you like Kingston? We are currently living in Windsor, Ontario--have lived here for 13 years--and we're ready for a change. Mainly because the horrible pollution is giving breathing problems to my daughter--but also because we want to get away from our respective families!

Anyway, Kingston is one place we're thinking of moving. I visited there a few times as a kid and I remember it being a nice place, not too big but big enough to have everything you need, scenic area too.

My dh is in school to become an accountant, so I'm sure he could find work in that area just about anywhere.

So what is the general consensus? Is Kingston a good place to raise a family? What are the real estate prices like?

Thanks mamas!

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#11 of 35 Old 08-30-2009, 10:12 AM

We've been here for less than 2 months and every day I'm finding out new stuff about Kingston, and new things to do around here. We're really enjoying it. What kinds of things are you looking for in a city?

SkyMoma SAHM to 2 HL DDs
#12 of 35 Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMoma View Post
We've been here for less than 2 months and every day I'm finding out new stuff about Kingston, and new things to do around here. We're really enjoying it. What kinds of things are you looking for in a city?
We really like the outdoors so we'd like a place where there were parks and nature areas, and fresh air. The air where we live now is pretty bad, and the water tastes awful too. So, clean air and water, and then of course it would be nice to have things to do with the kids and all the amenities that a small city has.

We homeschool, so schools aren't important--although a homeschool group would be nice. We were actually hoping to rent a house outside of a small city where my dh could go to college. That way the kids could experience a bit of country living.

What I like a lot about Kingston is that it's not too far a drive to Ottawa or Toronto, if we wanted to take a weekend trip with the kids. I don't like living close to a big city like Toronto, but it would be nice to visit once in a while.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#13 of 35 Old 10-02-2009, 12:09 PM

Sorry I dropped the thread back in August! My bad.

Kingston has lots of outdoorsy places to go. We're at the western end of the Thousand Islands part of the St. Lawrence, one end of the Rideau canal waterway (history and nature!), the southern edge of the Land-o-lakes region (hundreds of lakes dotting the Frontenac spur of the Canadian shield), the eastern end of lake Ontario and about an hour east of Prince Edward county. There are several islands you can visit on a free government car ferry (Wolfe, Amherst, Howe). Conservation areas... you name it.

I don't know about the water being so clean, I can taste the limestone in it some days, but I think that's been a complaint about the water around here for a couple hundred years.

We're homeschoolers too. There are a few groups around here. Let us know if you move this way.

SkyMoma SAHM to 2 HL DDs
#14 of 35 Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 PM

If any of you with younger kids is interested in meeting with like-minded families, I know someone who is trying to start up a playgroup.

You can find out about it on the Village Garden facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...d=134279920969

The details are here:

Itty Bitty Homeschoolers
A play date for moms/dads with new babies and or children pre-school age who are interested in alternative education. Older children are welcome to come but are encouraged to help out with the younger ones.
There will be information available for parents on homeschooling support, and homeschooling in general.
We have a large library of alternative ed. books, mostly unschooling,free schooling, democratic schools, and green living for parents to look at.
We can provide information to parents on different types of homeschooling, what your rights are how to get started.
Parents interested in attending would be asked to help out with clean up and snack.
Please send a note if you are interested in attending.

Fee: Free, but helping out is expected.
When: Every Thursday starting Thursday October 8th
Time: 10:00 a.m.- 12: noon
Where: The Village Garden Homeschooling Center at
The Big Willow Chapel, 716 King St. West

SkyMoma SAHM to 2 HL DDs
#15 of 35 Old 10-09-2009, 02:05 PM

I don't drink the tap water.

Born and raised Kingstonian here. Lived most of my life here, except for a short stint in TO, and happy to be raising my 2 boys here. They will be 10 and 3 in December. We live out behind the Cataraqui Town Centre.
Rotary Park and Lemoine's Point are good places for meet ups out this way and not too busy in the cooler weather.

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys
#16 of 35 Old 10-24-2009, 01:12 PM

We're finally in Kingston (from Victoria). The first professional move we've ever had, and the worst move we've ever had. We spent three weeks in the Holiday Inn Waterfront... scenic, yes, but not so fun with a five year old and a miserable cat!

It is total chaos around here, but HELLO KINGSTON MAMAS

Looking forward to getting out there more in November, as October has been a total write-off.. and a couple questions if anyone doesn't mind: what are your favourite grocery stores? The ones I'm used to were western/local chains. I'm such a creature of habit that it's totally throwing me off. Hopefully ones near bus routes (transit here really sucks, btw) or the eastern part of the city/downtown (we're at CFB Kingston). Also looking for places that sell stock kits (like bones for broth).

And speaking of tap water... does it smell musty/mouldy/mildewy to anyone else? I can't tell if I'm just going crazy. I noticed it at the hotel, and then here, too.... I got a Brita filter for the fridge so that seems pretty good. I only notice it when I'm brushing my teeth and I go to rinse, etc.

Anyway, Kingston is so pretty!! Downtown, definitely, and I love our new neighbourhood...! The fall colours are pretty spectacular, too. Now if only it would brighten up a bit.

#17 of 35 Old 10-29-2009, 09:44 AM

Welcome! Yes transit sucks and seriously, I do not drink the tap water. I remember when dh and I married and I moved from the country (well water) I could smell the chlorine billowing off the shower. We immediately ordered Culligan, but have since had a reverse osmosis system installed.
I'm at the opposite end of the city to you so I'm not much help in the grocery dept. There's a Bennett's out your end down highway 15 at Gore Rd, but I've never been in it. I think the next one would be No Frills at Division and 401 but that would be a real trek by transit. Did you get into Tara Natural Food's while you were downtown? Loblaws also has a really good organics section too, but that's halfway across the city from where you are. I tend to shop No Frills, Costco, Bulk Barn, Loblaws in that order, but they're all out in this end.
I don't know if that helped any...

#18 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 07:06 PM

Having logged in here in a while. There is also a Food Basics downtown - at Barrack and King, so really just across the singing bridge from east Kingston. And there is a Metro on Princess at Barrie. Both of those must be accessible from the base by bus.

SkyMoma SAHM to 2 HL DDs
#19 of 35 Old 03-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Okay, wow, ages since I've checked in here. Thanks guys for the grocery suggestions, they definitely did help! We've got a good routine set up now for our shopping with Loblaws at Kingston Centre once a week (and Action-Packed for comics, woo), and Food Basics downtown for quick things.

What's everyone up to? We're looking to get out a bit more, maybe find some fun group type thing for Liam to do while we wait for autism funding (oh, autism funding in Ontario, don't even get me started )... we've been super lazy and pretty much just hibernated the winter. Which, I hear around anyway, was pretty mild? I don't know, it was a lot of snow for us!

Now we are just waiting for the green to come back!

#20 of 35 Old 04-02-2010, 06:44 PM

We are anxiously awaiting the Daddy's return from Djibouti, only 31 days now, not that I'm counting or anything. Then the real crunch to find him a job on Canadian soil starts. In the mean time I'm juggling kids, clients, organizing for a trip to Disney with the grandparents and doing projects around the house in case we have to list it to relocate suddenly.
We had a group that met at the park every Friday morning last spring/summer. I'd like to do that again if anyone's interest.

#21 of 35 Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM

I would be interested in a park day! My 5 yr old son could use some run-around social time... which park or area of town? We haven't explored much of Kingston yet.

That is a long time to be without your partner, nutritionistmom! I hope you're hanging in there!

#22 of 35 Old 04-30-2010, 03:58 PM

Woohoo, my husband will be home earlier than expected! His flight gets in tomorrow night!

As for parks, we tended to gravitate towards Victoria Park since it was shaded and also had a small wading pool, but it doesn't really matter to me. I drive so no where is really too far. I'm happy to come to the people who don't get around as easily. The water pad at the Base will be a zoo as soon as the weather warms up. They bring daycares in and it's impossible to keep track of your kid if you have a runner like I do.

#23 of 35 Old 04-30-2010, 04:06 PM

I have noticed that about the playground on the base & daycares. My guy gets SO sad when he sees the daycare groups go off and he isn't allowed to go along with them. :/ Victoria Park sounds great, though. It's on our bus route, so it'd be very easy for us.

Hooray! Earlier than expected is always a nice surprise!

#24 of 35 Old 05-01-2010, 08:54 PM

We live close enough to Victoria park to meet you sometimes.

SkyMoma SAHM to 2 HL DDs
#25 of 35 Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM

It's calling for isolated showers this Friday, but anyone want to chance it? We usually get ourselves organized to get down there by 10, 10:30 am, but we're flexible if people want to go earlier/later. The wading pool doesn't open until 11am, but I think it's too early in the season for it any way.

#26 of 35 Old 05-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Hi guys!

We can't make it this Friday, cat appointment. :/ He's been "quarantined" to make sure he doesn't have rabies (he doesn't!) and that's his get out of jail day. He is already sitting at the back door ready to go.

I will cross my fingers for nice weather, though!

#27 of 35 Old 05-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Anyone interested in meeting up at Victoria Park in the morning? DH is studying for an exam and we need to get out of his hair.

#28 of 35 Old 05-21-2010, 10:33 AM

We'll be there Kelly. My dh is marking an assignment and needs some peace and quiet.

Gael

SkyMoma SAHM to 2 HL DDs
#29 of 35 Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Hi everyone, I am new to Kingston (well, just moved back after 5 years away).

Anybody know if there is a babywearing group or AP group here?

Hello.
#30 of 35 Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 PM

I don't think there's a Babywearing group currently but you could check with Natalie at Go Green Baby http://www.go-greenbaby.ca/ and see what she has planned for the new location.
I haven't got a clue about AP groups either. I've just been going it alone. I know there are AP mommies out there, some even post here, lol. Hopefully Gael (SkyMoma) will see this. She can probably direct you better that way.
Welcome back to Kingston!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page