Organic Twin Mattress in Canada - where can I get one? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 03-05-2009, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS2 is going to outgrowing his crib soon. I would like to get a natural mattress. His crib mattress and my DS1's mattress I got in the US 6 months ago, when the $$ was almost equal. Now, it's way too expensive. Where can I find a decently priced mattress here.

Local (Montreal) would be cheaper, but I'm open to different suggestions.

Thank you, Ana

Mom to 4 Boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 03-05-2009, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Latex is supposed to be a good alternative to wool (and more cost-feasable) Ikea has them. Another option might be a wool cover. Are these guys Canadian?. THere are a ton of matress pads and overlays if you google them.

You can sometimes catch someone who is moving and looking to get rid of theirs on kijiji.ca ...sometimes...

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#3 of 32 Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 AM

Ikea mattresses aren't organic but at least they don't have fire retardants (main source of offgassing).
#4 of 32 Old 03-05-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

Obasan's cheapest mattress in $999. Too much for me!

My kids have Vivetique now. What do Canadians get for up to $500-600? I'll get Ikea if I don't have a choice, but would really prefer something more natural. It doesn't have to be latex. I'm open to more options.

Mom to 4 Boys
#5 of 32 Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Natura is Canadian. We got our crib mattress from them. I don't know if they do twins, but worth checking!
#6 of 32 Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 AM

Sleeptek in Ottawa has them. Not sure on prices.

4 kids under 10
#7 of 32 Old 03-10-2009, 05:15 PM

I'm in Canada too and I've been researching mattresses for the last couple of months for DD. I'll tell you, if you want 100% organic and all natural (as opposed to any synthetic), you're not going to be able to find a twin size for $500-$600. Even a fully organic futon is more than that.

Some things to watch out for when you're shopping:
  1. if you're looking at latex, beware that most companies sell a combo synthetic/natural latex. Synthetic latex has generally been produced with chemicals. Companies can claim their latex is "all natural" or "100% natural" if it contains ANY amount of natural latex (so yes, they can and DO lie about it. Some are just informed about how the latex they buy is really made).
  2. again with latex, be careful if they get their latex from India. I read that Indian latex dissolves more easily into rubber (and thus is past the stage where it can be used to process into a mattress) so they add toluene to it to stop this process. From what I can tell, it seems that latex from Malaysia is best (and of course true 100% natural)
  3. if the bed has wool in it, you should opt for certified organic else it could have chemicals used in processing that remove some of its natural oils that are what give wool it's benefits and fire retardency
  4. glue to hold foam layers or wood together is often toxic. Best to find a mattress where glue isn't used. Beware of "water based" claims saying that means it's safe. Think about latex paint, it's water-based but still contains VOC's.
  5. when a company says their mattress is natural or organic, ask about ALL of the mattress contents (using organic cotton piled on top of polyurethane foam somewhat defeats the purpose of buying an organic mattress)
A twin, truly organic futon seems to run around $800 for 4.5" high and closer to $900 for a 6" thick. For a truly natural latex mattress, you're seriously looking around $1300. Add more to that cost if you want it topped with wool. For an organic innerspring mattress, you're looking at $1000 minimum. After I compared quality of mattresses and the content (is it truly organic and natural?), Obasan has some of the better pricing and initially I had thought they were crazy expensive until things came into perspective.

The Natura organic line is nice, but pricey. They use 100% natural latex in their organic line but the rest of their latex mattresses use a combo synthetic/natural. Green Sleep has an awesome mattress but yowza, it's pricey!

Oh, and buying a mattress feels like buying a used car. Untruths and deceit are rampant so ask questions and do your research. You don't want to end up spending over $1000 and have it NOT be organic, natural and chemical free!

I've got so much information in my head that it's hard for me to sort out what to tell you, so if you have any specific questions, please ask away!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#8 of 32 Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you TechnoGranola for your detaile reply.

I don't have $1,000 to spend now. What's the next best? Ikea? Which one of theirs?

Thanks again everyone, Ana

Mom to 4 Boys
#9 of 32 Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 PM

I was disappointed in Ikea's offerings online, they may have more choice in store though. Do you have an Ikea near you? Online, the latex mattresses they sell are either full synthetic or 80% synthetic. The 2009 Green Guide did suggest the Ikea Sultan Heidal mattresss which has "an 85 percent natural latex core, wool and corn-based platic wadding, and a safer flame retardant made from phosphorus salts and nitrogen compounds ($799/queen)". So, if you can go to an Ikea, I would look to see if they have that one in store in a twin. I would have definitely checked it out if I didn't have to use Ikea's online store!

Here's the Green Guide's Mattress Buying Guide (although they don't have the Ikea mattresses listed in their online guide!)

#10 of 32 Old 03-13-2009, 04:00 PM

We got our King-sized natural latex at Sleeptek in Ottawa. I love it! There was a great sale, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford it either.
#11 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 04:19 AM

I did some research (not as much as Technogranola!) last year for my kids' mattresses as well. I found the same with Ikea, that all of them had some synthetic latex content. However, if budget is a real issue, I think theirs are a good deal.

I looked into organicgrace.com, and found they had good deals, albeit being a US company, you have to pay shipping. Their latex is from Malaysia, and have twins in the $600 range, but of course that's US, and she'd quoted me around $100 to ship two twins to me in Vancouver.

I ended up buying two natural latex foam mattresses from a local Vancouver company - Discount Foam. They are just a hunk of foam with a thin cotton bedsheet-like zippered cover - no wool, no glue. I paid $630 each. Now, I asked and was told they were 100% natural talalay latex, but didn't research it further.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#12 of 32 Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

I have 2 mattresses from Organic Grace! (One crib and one twin.)

Shipping isn't too bad, but the brokerage at the border is more than the shipping price!! I got one directly to Canada, and one to the US, that I later brought over!

Does the Discount Foam have any in the Montreal area?

Thank you

Mom to 4 Boys
#13 of 32 Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abemom2 View Post
Does the Discount Foam have any in the Montreal area?

Thank you
Here's their web site (which is kind of crappy, their images don't seem to work) http://www.discountfoam.ca/home/ They are in B.C. but say they ship worldwide. Just make sure you ask where they get their latex. Then you can research to see if it is truly natural and not a partial synthetic (or post the manufacturer of their latex here as I may have already done the research). Synthetic latex is usually styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR) (and I'm not actually sure if it can be anything other than SBR).

Organic Grace sure does have nice stuff. I feel your need for buying in Canada though. With the exchange rate and duty, a mattress from the U.S. ends up being pricier than what you could get here.

#14 of 32 Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 AM

I recently saw an ad in a local Vancouver paper for Majestic Sit & Sleep "sleep green" -- it reads "the largest selection of Green Living Mattresses is now even better! From soy-based foam spring mattresses to an expanded selection of organic latex mattresses, we have a healthy choice for you and your family."

http://www.majesticfuton.com/mattresses.php

Their website doesn't seem to list prices : but the newspaper ad read "Green Living Mattress" from $638 Queen Kalama Mattress to "Organic Latex Mattress Options from $1398 Queen 6" Latex Gold Mattress".

It says there's a factory outlet store in Surrey at 13562 -- 77th Ave.

I've no experience with this company, just saw the ad and remembered the thread.

My daughter's wool bed is from the Snug Sleep factory in North Vancouver but their prices have gone wayyy up from when we bought it.
http://www.snugsleep.com/beds.html

Mum to : Chloë(May 01) and Molly(June 04)
#15 of 32 Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional info.

Looking into the mattresses.

Mom to 4 Boys
#16 of 32 Old 04-26-2009, 01:05 AM

There was a Google word-ad in the sidebar for this thread for a company called Essentia http://www.essentiadirect.com/

Here's what their site says:
Truly Canadian Made Mattress
Essentia's natural memory foam sleep products, and all their components, are proudly manufactured in Canada.

OP, you said you were in Quebec, which is where this company is:

2055 Autoroute Laval 440 West
Laval, Quebec, Canada
H7L 3W3

Still pricey, but sounds like a good company who knows what they're talking about. Shipping in Canada and the USA is free, and CAD$ on par with the listed USD$ prices.

Mum to : Chloë(May 01) and Molly(June 04)
#17 of 32 Old 05-25-2009, 08:07 AM

Any chance anyone has any info on the "Bed in a Box" by Obus Forme that sells at Zellers? It sounds like it's *trying to be green* with silly things like "green tea" embedded in the mattress etc. I have my doubts though. I'm going to go in again today and see what other info I can find (the sales associates are worse than useless).

Any input? It's for my 3yo DS and I'm concerned about off-gassing.

LP
#18 of 32 Old 05-29-2009, 10:47 PM

Be sure to ask if the mattresses have any flame retardant. We went to a store in Ontario that had Natura mattresses and the salesman told me that it was made from organic materials but sprayed with flame retardant to California standards.

We bought organic mattresses from Soaring Heart in Seattle when we were living in Redmond. We really like them. We got the ones that are not sewn together. There is a latex bottom portion, a 4 inch wool topper, topped by a cotton mattress pad. I think we paid about $600 or $700 for the twins.
#19 of 32 Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastmom View Post
Be sure to ask if the mattresses have any flame retardant. We went to a store in Ontario that had Natura mattresses and the salesman told me that it was made from organic materials but sprayed with flame retardant to California standards.
Natura's organic line has ZERO flame retardants other than natural wool. Their non-organic line contains boric acid as a flame retardant which is very different from the PBDEs sprayed on other mattresses. http://www.naturaworld.com/blog/inde...-chemicals-185

Like I said in an earlier post, you need to research and find out info for yourself. The information the salesman gave you was lacking info and/or not accurate.

#20 of 32 Old 05-30-2009, 01:04 AM

That was 3 years ago, and the organic mattress we were inquiring about was much more expensive than the other mattresses in the store.

I don't know if his info was right or wrong, but at the time I read everything on Natura's website and there was nothing to provide that info.

We ended up moving from Ontario shortly after that, so we didn't spend more time researching it
#21 of 32 Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
I was disappointed in Ikea's offerings online, they may have more choice in store though. Do you have an Ikea near you? Online, the latex mattresses they sell are either full synthetic or 80% synthetic. The 2009 Green Guide did suggest the Ikea Sultan Heidal mattresss which has "an 85 percent natural latex core, wool and corn-based platic wadding, and a safer flame retardant made from phosphorus salts and nitrogen compounds ($799/queen)". So, if you can go to an Ikea, I would look to see if they have that one in store in a twin. I would have definitely checked it out if I didn't have to use Ikea's online store!

Here's the Green Guide's Mattress Buying Guide (although they don't have the Ikea mattresses listed in their online guide!)

bumping because i'm shopping for a new mattress.

which ikea mattress would you recommend without coils? online it looks like the sultan heidel has coils (which i'm trying to avoid)

Do you think if i just asked the local foam dealer to find me a 6 inch slab of talalay foam from malaysia i'd end up with something of quality that won't offgas?

In the past we got a doctor's note that stated that for medical reasons we needed a mattress without flame retardant, and the local foam place was able to get us an unsprayed futon (it wasnt natural latex foam though, it had synthetic foams layered between the cotton battings)

heartbeat.gif

#22 of 32 Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM

Hey everyone,
We're expecting #2 next month (yay) and I want to upgrade from a double bed to a king in anticipation of needing more room. The big question is, should we shell out for a top of the line organic mattress?

We tried out Essentia and Obasan, thought I'd get the cheapest king Obasan I could get, but I'd like to hear if anyone has used one for a few years and if you still like it.

Thanks!
#23 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM

I bought a Keesta mattress when I needed an affordable double for dh and I. There is a Canadian retailer for Keetsa in Ontario and she is fantastic. Great customer service. For the crib, I bought a mattress at Sleepysheep.ca
#24 of 32 Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 AM

How did you like the Obasan Mattress?

I'm on the verge of purchasing one, but a little nervous as there isn't any place nearby to try them...

I've heard amazing things though.

#25 of 32 Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Hi- after much research, I got a mattress from Seattle Natural Mattress in Bothell Wa.  They only use 100% natural latex without filler or chemicals. Most mattresses have a chemical spray for fireproofing (Federal law as of 7/2007) but you can get chemical free there.  You have to get a Dr.s prescription but that was no problem for me.  The mattress is 8" of pure latex and has an organic cotton cover.  We love sleeping on it!    Good luck!

#26 of 32 Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 PM

We have a wool mattress from Shepard's Dream, so does our two year old son. They're an investment but they last a lifetime - really, a lifetime or longer!!!

http://www.shepherdsdream.ca/

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#27 of 32 Old 03-07-2011, 10:28 PM

NaturallyNice, did you have to pay extra duty and/or taxes when you brought your mattress back into Canada?

We bought our organic mattresses at Soaring Heart in Seattle 4 years ago, but we were living in Redmond at the time. I think we bought before the law changed if I remember correctly. I know that wool is naturally flame retardant. I remember when we lived in Redmond there was a lot of publicity at the time about a research report that came out of Boeing I think that said more people were dying of flame retardant chemicals than would ever have a fire in their house, let alone in their bed. I have never got why all of society has to pay for the idiots who smoke in bed.  

We had previously looked for organic mattresses when we lived in Ontario and 2 separate dealers told us that Natura mattresses were made with organic materials, but were sprayed with flame retardant. Perhaps this was because of the US law, but defeats the purpose.

#28 of 32 Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Another option for you would to buy the best quality mattress you can afford and then wrap it in a wool blanket to deal with any off-gassing. Wool is amazing at sucking up VOC's.. they actually sell wool blankets big enough for motor homes to deal with the VOC's because of all the foam in them.

We had bought an organic crib mattress that was covered in vinyl :( whats the point then? so we wrapped it in wool; it made me feel a lot more comfortable with our choice.. I still wish we could have thought to buy a wool one.

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#29 of 32 Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 PM

Actually, IKEA mattresses do have chemical fire-retardants, at least in the USA and UK. 

They phased out chlorinated tris flame retardants last fall (2010),

and now only use an organophosphorus (or nitrogen/phosphorous) chemical.

They say that they try to keep it at a minimum, and build it into the structure of the mattress,

instead of spraying it on the outside, to make it safer.

(We still prefer a completely chemical-free mattress, although what IKEA does may be enough, and I am sure they are trying to make it as safe as possible.)

http://www.slate.com/id/2255573/

#30 of 32 Old 04-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Seattle Natural Mattress makes a completely chemical free mattress. They use 100% Natural or Organic latex, Organic cotton and no chemical fire retardants at all. Even the glue is organic latex.  There is no off-gassing and their prices are the lowest I know of, even after diligent search. It is a one-man shop and he makes them to order. The shop is in Bothell, Washington (just north of Seattle).

Http:\\www.seattlenaturalmattress.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page