'she'?

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#303 of 322 Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tiffani, sooo amazing that it is coming together so fast! :

I think your thoughts about having one for now seem really rational and it makes sense to transition just one through all that she will have to get accustomed to, to grow in bonding to new parents, two siblings, different country etc! It's so huge for a small person if you really consider all that is involved. Hugs and fingers crossed!!!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#304 of 322 Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 AM

Wow, tiffani, what exciting news!! fingers crossed for your family!!!

Autumn Mama - hugs! I lost my brother 10 years ago and still, although not often now, I can be struck with a huge sense of grief and loss. It never goes away, you just store it on a shelf somewhere in your mind/heart...

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#305 of 322 Old 04-24-2009, 01:02 AM

Tiffani!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope everything turns out for you guys!

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#306 of 322 Old 04-24-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
do any of you folks use a gym with childcare provided? i'm considering it but would love to hear what you think.
I have been going to Fitness World in Richmond off & on for many years (since before kids) & will sometimes take the kids if I have to. I am not impressed with their childcare room at all (very small, hot & tv on) or the workers' interactions with the children (basically watching & interacting if necessary). When they were younger, I would ask them to turn off the tv if there wasn't someone else watching. I'm sure some are better than others, but now that my kids are older, I don't worry about it for an hour or so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner&tiegs View Post
Tomorrow, 10:00, playground by mini train in Stanley Park - if anyone is up for a playdate! xo
Sorry we missed it! We probably could have made it if I'd seen it in time .

Tiffani, how exciting! :

Snipping: which was the Dr. that doesn't do circ?? I think DH is ready to go any time I make an appointment .

Yogurt maker: Picked one up from an ad on Craigslist the other day...dh went to get it & didn't notice it didn't have instructions or the fact that it is very old so now we might not be able to get any. : I called Moulinex & they said they would send some if they could find them . It does, however, have glass jars , so hopefully I can figure something out (from someone here?? ) even if I can't get the official instructions.

Erin

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#307 of 322 Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM

Helen - try this link to the Moulinex website product manual download page. Not sure if it's the same model as the one you have, but there may be enough similarities that you can figure out how yours works?

#308 of 322 Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hugs to you Erin.
I lost my little brother 26 years ago today.
I don't think I ever go a day without thinking about him.:
It seems that this tribe has more than its fair share of lost brothers.

Tiffani - wow!:

I think Barry Rich is the no circ snipper!
#309 of 322 Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 PM

Thanks everyone!! we're getting closer to officialness, but it will be a while before it's officially official.

Dr. Pollack DOES do circs, which prompted an angry letter from me about the 'circ prevents HIV' propaganda they had in their waiting room :... but other than that he's good at vasectomies, though if we had known there was a non-circing doctor doing them we would have gone with him...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#310 of 322 Old 04-24-2009, 08:23 PM

Wise mamas, all this grief stuff is really helping me - thank you.

My dad passed away very suddenly 3 weeks ago (on April 2nd). He was a healthy, active 63 year old dad and grandpa with no symptoms other than a sore back. He went in to the dr. thinking it was kidney stones and they discovered he had pancreatic cancer. Further scans showed another tumour on his liver. 8 days after the diagnosis we had to take him to emergency at St. Paul's as he was in considerable pain, and by day 13 he died.

I'm still not sure how I am feeling. Mostly numb, and worried about my mom and my littlest brother who is only 24 (and is about 15 emotionally - he's having a tough time right now). I feel like I am just waiting for it to hit me.

Anyway, you are all helping me so much - thanks, AutumnMama for posting about your brother and starting this part of the conversation off. The timing was perfect for me.
#311 of 322 Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 PM

Oh, megansar, how unbearably tragic.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to lose a parent who is on the younger side, and appears in good health, and suddenly an illness presents itself, an illness that turns out to be terminal, with sooo little time. My thoughts are with you, anything I can do AT ALL, please don't hesitate to PM me. Again megansar,

robug, thanks for sharing about your brother, too.

I had a remarkable day outdoors, letting my memories come and go about my brother while in the company of another Mama from our tribe who once lost a brother (and her her two littles, playing with my two littles), and there is just such a bittersweet way that life has of bringing people into our lives with such a significant impact on us. Thanks, Mariah for a lovely visit...

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#312 of 322 Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 AM

((megansar)) i am so,so sorry.

autumn, i'm so glad that piglet and you could be gently together with your losses.

#313 of 322 Old 04-25-2009, 11:23 PM

It was great for us too, Erin.

megansar: I'm so sorry for your loss.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#314 of 322 Old 04-26-2009, 12:35 AM

aw, megansar, I'm so sorry.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#315 of 322 Old 04-26-2009, 04:14 PM

Megan, that is heart-breaking. I'm so sorry.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#316 of 322 Old 04-27-2009, 01:17 AM

Thanks, you guys. It's been a tough month.

And yay, Tiffani...fingers crossed for you and your family!
#317 of 322 Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
megan, I'm so sorry

exciting news Tiffani!

my little guy is in the midst of his first tummy bug and we were up all night He isn't keeping anything down, but I'm hoping it's just a 24 hour thing and he is fine by bedtime...

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#318 of 322 Old 05-01-2009, 03:40 AM

I thought I was missing something - it's been so long since anyone posted. Must be this awesome weather we are having! :

I have a yogurt making question.
So I have this one with no instructions & I have the instructions from the site for the latest model. They (p.7) are very vague!
'may add powdered milk'; choice of bacillus 'from a natural commercial yoghurt' (doesn't say how much); doesn't say how to decide how long to leave it in the yogurt maker...

Is this just a trial & error sort of thing or should there be clearer instructions somewhere?

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#319 of 322 Old 05-01-2009, 03:58 AM

happy may 1st! quick, someone start a thread!!

we're having a glorious time with my folks visiting us in london

#320 of 322 Old 05-01-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
I have a yogurt making question.
So I have this one with no instructions & I have the instructions from the site for the latest model. They (p.7) are very vague!
'may add powdered milk'; choice of bacillus 'from a natural commercial yoghurt' (doesn't say how much); doesn't say how to decide how long to leave it in the yogurt maker...

Is this just a trial & error sort of thing or should there be clearer instructions somewhere?
You can add powdered milk to make the yoghurt firmer, but you can skip it if you don't have it around. Heating the milk to near boiling (180F) also makes it firmer. FWIW, I do add the powdered milk just because I think it makes it taste milkier. I put in 1/2C give or take a tablespoon for every 6-7C of yoghurt made.

For the same amount of yoghurt I add the same amount (1/2C) of store bought plain yoghurt. You can vary the amount according to how tangy you want it.

The incubation time also determines how tangy the yoghurt gets. I do mine for 7-8 hours but there's been a couple of times where I've forgotten to take the jars out and put them in the fridge so they've sat in the cooling (off)yoghurt maker for about 10 hours. Its a bit tangy but when you add the sweeteners later you don't taste the difference.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#321 of 322 Old 05-01-2009, 01:00 PM

I have been putting about 1-2 Tbsp. of yoghurt per cup of milk. That probably works out to about the same as what you're doing, Ellaine...

I haven't tried adding the milk powder yet, but the instructions that come with my machine say to add 1/2 c. of the powder per litre of milk.

Ellaine - what do you do for sweeteners? Do you mix them in after the cooling period, and then store it in the fridge already sweetened? Or do you add sweetener right before eating?

#322 of 322 Old 05-01-2009, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
new thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...9#post13689149

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page