Grande Prairie - midwife help!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-07-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, I just learned today that Alberta covers midwives. I was so excited, rushed home to search for a midwife in Grande Prairie, and found none! I am so disappointed.
We are moving to Grande Prairie in 4 weeks, and I really would like a home birth this time around.
So I was wondering if anyone knew of a midwife who does Grande Prairie, or travels to Grande Prairie?

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#2 of 11 Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 PM

unfortunately i don't think there are any midwives who will travel anymore out of the city you can look here http://www.alberta-midwives.com/directory.php?type=area and call around though, there may be someone.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#3 of 11 Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for replying. I've tried that route yesterday, and nobody is. Maybe somebody will move up north in the next few months.

#4 of 11 Old 03-09-2009, 07:23 PM

there are 6 new midwives going through the bridging program this spring, so with any luck, someone will move. it is tough for women wanting midwives in this province unless you live in edmonton or calgary - every woman should have access to a midwife.

#5 of 11 Old 03-10-2009, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandib50 View Post
there are 6 new midwives going through the bridging program this spring, so with any luck, someone will move. it is tough for women wanting midwives in this province unless you live in edmonton or calgary - every woman should have access to a midwife.
: that someone moves! I really really hope so!!

#6 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 07:38 PM

There are only 4 homebirth midwives currently in Edmonton, none will travel to Grande Prairie. When I last spoke with them (1 month ago), none were willing to travel as far as Red Deer.

Of the bridging program students, none are from Alberta nor expected to be moving to Alberta. Of course, this could change, but that is what was the story a month ago.

I know there is a student within the AAM (Alberta Association of Midwives) that is talking of moving to GP when she is done, but it wouldn't be this year.

The other thing, almost all RMs in Alberta are fully booked within a few weeks of mom finding out she is expecting. It was this way before funding, funding just is making it that much harder to find someone.

One day there will be a RM in GP, it is just likely to be a while yet.
#7 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe you need to linger in the UC forum?

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#8 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandybehr View Post

Of the bridging program students, none are from Alberta nor expected to be moving to Alberta. Of course, this could change, but that is what was the story a month ago.
and i was so hopeful before i heard this news
with no bridging program for another couple of years, unless midwives move here from other provinces, things might not change for a while.

#9 of 11 Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM

One of the (many) reasons I wound up at the Grande Prairie hospital for ds1 was the lack of midwives outside of the cities. Hopegully it'll change soon, but probably not soon enough.

I wonder if there's a midwife in BC nearish to GP who'd be willing to travel?

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#10 of 11 Old 04-01-2009, 03:27 AM

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath at getting a midwife out of BC.

First thing, she wouldn't be covered by healthcare. Only Alberta Registered Midwives are covered. Second, she isn't registered in Alberta then she would be practicing midwifery illegally. And finally, I believe that the closest midwife within BC borders is in Prince George.

I wish you luck, I hate to sound discouraging, I prefer to call it realistic.

The other thing, which may not matter to you, if you are pregnant before April 1, 2009 then the midwifery care is not 100% covered by AHC (Alberta Health Care). Speak to your midwife and she will tell you how it all works.
#11 of 11 Old 06-22-2012, 02:42 PM

Hi There,

I live in Fort. st. John and found there is not midwifes here either...Did you find a midwife in Grande Prairie?

Thanks,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page