Too "poor" to live comfortably, too "rich" to get help. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm frustrated. DH and I both lost our jobs last year. He once again lost a job due to layoffs, etc, etc. He's applied for SO many jobs, but there is nothing that he can work at and pay for daycare. I am working as a casual, getting anywhere between 30 and 60 hours a week. I make $8.00 less than what DH was making. Of course we lost our benefits through DH's job and we can't afford to pay for extended medical so we aren't doing any dental/optometry/chiropractor, etc because we can't afford it. So today we get a bill from MSP and they want us to pay for medical services. I don't undertand it. It's like we are stuck in the middle. Too poor to do anything other than pay the basic life necessities, and too rich to get any help from anyone. : I didn't even know that there was a charge for MSP.
#2 of 15 Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I hear you. It seems really messed up. If you didn't already find it, there is a form to apply for premium assistance, and if you fall into the right income category you shouldn't have to pay. http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/premium.html
The only thing I don't get from the website, is whether the income amounts are per person or per household.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#3 of 15 Old 03-10-2009, 12:07 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I lost my job last week, dh is still working (on a temporary contract until April). When my job went, so went my supplementary health benefits (dental, etc.). If we all want to be put on dh's supplementary insurance, we have to pay $1,400 a month! No way we can afford that (not if we want a roof over our heads and some food to eat). Dh's salary is too high to qualify for any sort of assistance, and I don't qualify for unemployment benefits (because I only worked 860 hours since coming to Canada, not the 916 that are required).

I've been looking for a new job (only since last week though) and I'm either overqualified or the salary I'm asking for (below what I made before) is considered too high.

We too feel as if we're in the 'too rich to be poor....' category. Good luck to you and your family in the job hunt!

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#4 of 15 Old 03-10-2009, 12:10 AM

I know that feeling mama - Im right there with you. We got our msp bill, after a huge confusion over when the extended health care coverage ended after the job loss, and they expected my to come up with $600 in 3 weeks...seriously..how? And we dont qualify for premium assistance - because the tax year that it looks at we were both working - so of course we made more...*sigh*

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#5 of 15 Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 PM

Count me in this category too. In our case we were receiving rental assistance from BC housing (for those paying rent to landlords not in subsidised housing)It is a great program for families!
We got awfully used to the help then hubby got a new job and we lost the assistance, and yet still need it. Apparantly we are just too wealthy
#6 of 15 Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
I know that feeling mama - Im right there with you. We got our msp bill, after a huge confusion over when the extended health care coverage ended after the job loss, and they expected my to come up with $600 in 3 weeks...seriously..how? And we dont qualify for premium assistance - because the tax year that it looks at we were both working - so of course we made more...*sigh*
Yes!!!! Our bill is 400 some odd dollars and has to be paid by the 24th. They are sending us some papers to re-evaluate based on our CURRENT income, so that should get us 100% assistance.
#7 of 15 Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 PM

where did you get those papers? I was told that they couldnt do anything about adjustments until after taxtime - so they would be looking at 2008 income instead of 2007.

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#8 of 15 Old 03-11-2009, 11:05 PM

As a full time single mum making minimum wage and paying child care for two children....I hear you.
#9 of 15 Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
where did you get those papers? I was told that they couldnt do anything about adjustments until after taxtime - so they would be looking at 2008 income instead of 2007.
Dh called the number listed for MSP and they are sending them to us.
#10 of 15 Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDaednu View Post
As a full time single mum making minimum wage and paying child care for two children....I hear you.
Have you applied for daycare subsidy?
#11 of 15 Old 03-17-2009, 05:26 PM

We just went through this recently. Luckily they are somewhat willing to work with you on a payment type of plan if you need it. We are definitely in the lower income bracket in terms of the amount we bring in monthly. We were denied temporary assistance because we have a car loan... no amount of debt is considered to be an acceptable expense and you cant factor that into the budget sheet they give you. So since they dont " allow" the car loan ( although cable is an allowable expense) they say we need to pay. Just a warning... cause I was a little devestated.

:
#12 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 PM

Right there with you...during my pregnancy with DD, I supported DH, DSS and myself on my secretary's salary. Because my DH doesn't speak French he had the hardest time finding work here in Quebec (and was really looked down upon by many prospective employers), and when we went to try to get social assistance, they nearly laughed at us. Every month, we pick and choose which bills we can afford to pay while eating properly (I'm still nursing so there's no way I can eat kraft dinner every night)...I have a huge student debt that I'm paying off and I owe Revenue Canada tons of money (me = stupid), but none of that matters to the government. They really want you to be starving before they help you out.
#13 of 15 Old 03-21-2009, 01:48 PM

Also take into account that there is nothing much that they can/will do if you DON'T pay your MSP bill. You are still eligible for medical services AFAIK, due to the laws in Canada that basically stipulate the no one will be turned away. You can catch up with payments later when you are able.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#14 of 15 Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 AM

It is correct that you won't lose your medical coverage, even if you can't pay. So do what you can and spread the payments out if you need to, mama!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#15 of 15 Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

But if I dont' pay, it'll go to collections. We've already been told that. DH and I have perfect credit...and don't want to ruin it. We filled out the application for coverage, but we were declined. Oh well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page