New NS midwifery rules. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 31 Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I understand your frustration with this issue. We had a home birth last year, prior to the midwives being implemented in the public system. We are outside the immediate area of the IWK, but still HRM. I personally was happy to pay out of pocket for the service, which was amazing all around and more than worth it. I find it very frustrating that this option has been taken away... however I am happy that those who are unable to pay may have better access to midwives.

I am currently trying for baby #2 and strongly want another home birth, however I think that even if the homebirth option is sorted out and available in the next few months, my location would place me outside the allowable distance from the IWK. I believe I would still be eligible for midwife care if I could get through the waiting list...

I understand you not wanting to birth at the IWK too. Not sure what it would be like at the hospital in Truro. A birth centre in NS would be great, wouldn't it? I agree with the other advice to stay home as long as you can and for sure get a doula. I didn't have a doula the first time, but I would want one definately if I had to go to the hospital.

I hope things improve soon in this province with regards to access to midwifery services, and home birth in particular. I need to get off my butt and write letters too.

Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page