Dogs in Vancouver... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 06-20-2009, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, as you know from the main Vancouver thread I brought Rain home yesterday and she is settling in nicely. She is fabulous, no apparent vices, the only "challenge" is she is quite timid and submissive. But I'm sure with time she will gain confidence, especially with some training. She doesn't seem high energy at all, but it could be she is just still settling in. Also, she is a few pounds overweight and I'm guessing didn't get a high level of exercise at the shelter so hopefully with some "training" she will be able to run with me (I've taken a few days off myself since I have a touch of chest cold, so we'll both ease into it next week).

My kids were so-so about getting a dog but MAN are they happy! DD was so proud that she got to walk Rain to the park (the dog is so easy on the leash; she needs to learn a proper heel but she doesn't pull you along and one gentle tug gets her right back to your side).

We tried playing "Fetch" today but she wasn't interested in the ball or the Kong I bought her. At the park we discovered that she does like sticks, though! She doesn't retrieve though, which I've heard is a trait in submissive puppies (in the Art of Raising a Puppy book) so we'll work on that.

Proud mama am I!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#32 of 51 Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 AM

Oh, Mariah, that is splendid!!! It's so fantastic that you were able to find such a lovely addition to your family so fast!

She is very purty!

Now, you have to try to find a book or method on developing attachment with a canine! There must be such a thing...

Can't wait to meet her someday!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#33 of 51 Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
Now, you have to try to find a book or method on developing attachment with a canine! There must be such a thing...
Actually there is - written by the Monks of New Skete - uses attachment with the trainer and the dog's innate desire to attach to a pack and behave appropriately to develop human-friendly behaviours.

The link google provided doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but there's a book.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#34 of 51 Old 06-22-2009, 01:56 PM

I read the book based on robugmum's recommendation. It was a really interesting read, but since I wasn't getting a puppy alot of it was not going to be relevant for us. The stuff on training was good, though.

It's interesting to see how trainers differ in their approaches. The Monks seem to be in favour of some "correction" as they described it, probably using choke collars or something (which can be humanely used). Others espouse total "non-punitive" training techniques. There also seems to be those who say NEVER use treats as part of training and others who say you need to.

Then there's the whole "alpha" issue, which some people question as an appropriate technique for humans (I've heard the same argument with horses). Some people say never use those methods, others seem to emphasize the human has to be alpha, etc.

It's all interesting and I suppose, like parenting, you have to know your dog and what will suit your personality (ie. I am just not a hard-core disciplinarian, y'know?).

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#35 of 51 Old 06-22-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I didn't recommend the Monk's book! I haven't read it yet!
The two I am currently reading are The Loved Dog, by Tamar Geller (recommended by a friend) and The Dog Training for Dummies by Jack and Wendy Volhard (recommended by our breeder).
The Loved Dog is pretty good, Piglet, you would like it. She is very, very gentle and not at all into corporal discipline. My only critique is that she is a real celebrity name dropper and goes into way too much detail about her abusive childhood, yada yada yada! If you can ignore those parts its well worth reading!
The Dummies book is good too. A little more broad in its definition of non violent dog training, but seems based on finding the best motivational techniques for your particular dog.
#36 of 51 Old 06-22-2009, 05:56 PM

Well, I'll be interested to hear what sort of training you decide on, Maegan.

Since Rain is so timid and submissive, any sort of physical coercion is out of the question. On a more dominant dog I might use a choke-chain for quick corrections...

...like I saw this lady yesterday with a very hyper, large dog who was basically running circles around her, tangling her up in the leash, while jumping up - all because we were walking by. She had been getting him to sit by offering him treats but when he saw us he could have cared less about them. I felt bad for her - so much work! But the treat thing seemed like not a good choice for that particular dog, kwim? I think a quick snap on a training collar would get his attention better.

I've started doing recalls with Rain alot, as was mentioned in both Let the Dog Decide and The Art of Raising a Puppy. When we're out in the yard she has a long line attached (30 ft) and every now and then I call her "Rain, Come" and if she doesn't come I can give the long line a gentle tug, so I never have to ask more than once. I do this when out walking on the leash, too. She comes pretty much every time, but I am not bold enough to try her off-leash just yet!

She's such a suck that just a "Good Girl" and a pat on the head seems to be all the reward she needs!

#37 of 51 Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

I have never really trained a dog before so I am a complete newbie! I will be looking to you for advice - I'm pretty sure!

Do you want to see some photos of our pup? check out
http://www.parispoodles.com/Adopted.html
scroll down until you come to the big black girl going home with Maegen, H, R, M and O from Vancouver! I think she's beautiful!
#38 of 51 Old 06-23-2009, 11:27 PM

Oh, Maegen, she is gorgeous! And what lovely fur already!! Standards are such proud, beautiful dogs!

When I had my last dog I used a choke collar for training, which we did via a class. The instructor showed us how to use it. It seemed to work well for our dog, and we did training sessions every day. She was a great dog and very well-trained. We could take her anywhere.

However, looking back I wish I'd known of a different way than the collar. I don't think it was necessary for her, though I think for some really overbearing dogs it can be useful. It's also just not my personal style (especially since becoming a Mama!) to use punishment.

So I'm looking for something else. So far just using praise is working well with Rain b/c she responds so well to it. We are working on having her come when called reliably. Today in the forest we were on a wide trail and I dropped her leash to see how she'd respond. She sticks close to us and if she wanders ahead she will stop and wait for us, lol. She came 9/10 times, the one time I just picked up the leash and gave it a gentle tug and she came right over. She also sits as soon as she comes.

I am now working on "down", etc but really want to get into a class before progressing much further as I don't want to screw it up, lol. I've never had a timid dog before and I'd like some professional advice on how to train her. Thing is, I don't want to commit to summer classes since we want to go camping alot, lol. And the "real trainers" (linked to above) don't have room until September classes.

#39 of 51 Old 06-24-2009, 04:26 AM

Congratulations, both of you, on the new additions - they are both lovely! Almost makes me want to get one...but no, not until after the summer...

I have a question for you all about vaccinations...do you do them for your dogs? I know a lot of you don't believe in using them to keep your family healthy - are dogs any different? Are there alternatives, homeopathics for dogs? Or can you just use diet & exercise as you would for yourself?

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#40 of 51 Old 06-24-2009, 01:24 PM

Helen: my dog got all her first-year shots. Rescue shelters, etc are required to do that. And I had to get her a rabies shot to bring her across the US border.

There are those who do not vaccinate their dogs, and the arguments are pretty much the same as those for not vaccinating kids.

I don't think any of the dogs in my life have ever been vaxed past puppyhood. We've never treated for heartworm or any of those other things. As with people, I think there's a lot of "gratuitous" vaxing promoted by the companies that make them. So I plan to research anything that is recommended for dogs, but unless it's something I need to worry about in this part of the world, I probably won't bother.

#41 of 51 Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
Almost makes me want to get one...but no, not until after the summer...
See, I wanted one early in the summer so we could do all our training when the days are long and the weather is nice. Rain got me up at 6:15 this morning and had it been the middle of winter I would not have been impressed!!

#42 of 51 Old 06-25-2009, 11:33 PM

I hear that! I just don't want to be dealing with a new dog or puppy while we are camping in our trailer for the first few times...maybe August??

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#43 of 51 Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

We pick up our puppy a day or 2 before we head to the cabin for 2 weeks!
We've potty trained all three kids there; I guess it makes sense to be housetraining the pup there too!
#44 of 51 Old 07-22-2009, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well, pup is home!
She's beautiful; very cuddly and sweet - We are all in love.
Only problem is its bedtime now and she will not pee or poop! She's hardly gone since we picked her up. I don't know what to do!
Poor dh is outside now trying to get there to go before we crate her for the night (or part of it anyway!)
Any suggestions?
#45 of 51 Old 07-23-2009, 03:33 AM

No suggestions on the toileting, hope it's gone better over the past 24 hours!

Congratulations on your newest family member!!! : :

Does she have a name yet?

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#46 of 51 Old 07-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Congratulations, robugmum!!!! :

Rain didn't go potty the whole 3.5 hour journey home. I was worried but eventually she did pee. I think it was the stress of the move. She also didn't eat for over 24 hours, but the rescue lady assured me this was normal and she would start eventually (which she did).

Unfortunately you'll probably be up a lot with the pup at night, but like with babies "This too shall pass".

Have you decided on a name? I voted for "Shade" and I think I was the only one, lol. But I also really liked Poppy. I actually saw an adult black standard poodle the other day, without the dippy hairdo, and they really are lovely dogs!

#47 of 51 Old 07-23-2009, 02:47 PM

Training info: so, Rain has developed a problem over the last couple of weeks. She has become very aggressive towards unfamiliar dogs (she wasn't before we brought her home). My best friend has worked with dogs for years and with the SPCA and she recommended a place called House of Wags (wags.ca). They have a daycare, overnight boarding, even a swimming pool for dogs, lol. Anyways, my friend has worked closely with the owner of Wags, Danielle, and asked her for advice about my problem. Seems somewhere I have done something quite wrong and sent Rain the wrong signals, so today we are heading down to Wags for an evaluation. Danielle suspects its a combination of poor "dog greeting manners" on Rain's part and increasing anxiety from me not managing the situations properly. Rain will be boarding at Wags while we are in Vernon for the music festival and will receive some socialization training. I am also going to enroll with Wags' in house trainer, Shelagh from Dizine Canine (dizinecanine.com) who has a class called "Reactive Dogs" for just such a problem. Finally, I will likely send Rain to "daycare" when I occasionally work at UBC.

I am feeling like one of those parents who have always lucked out with easy kids and thinking it's all me and now I have a challenge that I did not know how to deal with (and didn't realize it was a problem until it got so bad). So now I'm eating humble pie. But I'm also glad that there are things we can do about it.

I also wanted to put in a good word for Wags. She's in North Burnaby and my BF says she is an awesome person with strong ethics and a true love/concern for dogs. She also does anaesthetic-free teeth cleaning. She owns and operates the business herself and I'd really like to support her. So if any of you need some services please consider using her.

#48 of 51 Old 07-23-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we just got back from the vet for a check up.
I decided to name the pup Clover. It was going to be Poppy but my ds said he really didn't like it and wanted her to be called Cinder. I didn't like Cinder much (it sounds negative to me) but the name Clover kept popping up in my head and I though it might appease him because it has a similar sound. So I have named her Clover, which I really love - for various reasons. One is that it has the word Love in it!

She's great but really does not like being confined, either in her crate or an X pen. She will go into the crate to lie down but yelps incessantly if we move away from her, close the door or use the pen. Any suggestions?
#49 of 51 Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 AM

I came across these interesting links on dog behaviour recently when looking up another breed:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/humandog.htm
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/smalltoydogs.htm
They are geared toward small dogs, but they apply to all sizes. Things you might have known or heard, but never knew why...

#50 of 51 Old 07-24-2009, 03:56 PM

thanks for those links, helen. I've been reading tons!

I met with Danielle at Wags yesterday and she gave me hope that Rain is just insecure and young and this can be dealt with fairly quickly. I'm using a martingale collar now and it definitely helps with the pulling. She said its not uncommon for the smarter breeds of dogs to develop lightening-fast techniques for getting out of a Halti collar, lol.

The facility was really nice and I'm happy Rain will be staying there while we are away, though I am going to miss her SOOOO much!

Love the name Clover! How are the nights going robug? Getting much sleep? Is it like having a baby all over again?

#51 of 51 Old 02-24-2011, 03:30 PM

We got a dog from a litter in the back of a truck outside of a health food store in Eugene, Oregon.  She is the best companion, and so gentle with the little boys.  She was a pup at the same time as my eldest, so she likes being climbed on, wrestled with, etc.  She's a mix of black labrador (she loves swimming, fetching, chasing her tail) and Australian shepherd (she's smaller than a typical lab, and wicked smart).

Getting a dog is like getting a baby.  You can't really know what you're getting into until it's there.

Dive in!

(For what it's worth, we live in Port Moody right now, around a lot of green space and quiet streets.  It would be harder to have her in a more urban area.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page