Camping in BC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-21-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wondering if any of you great mamas have any recommendations for camping near Vancouver. We are organizing a short trip for our two families with toddlers and maybe a few others. Our kiddos have special needs but do not have any wheelchair requirements. We will also have an informal summer gathering of our association (BC Prader-Willi Syndrome Association) for one day so we need a place that isn't too far and has a day-use park for the families.

I am thinking perhaps Golden Ears or Alice Lake. Anyone have any experience with these camp sites? We would be car-camping with tents. Any other suggestions.... I love Gabriola Is but am afraid it would be too much hassle for many families and we want something easily accessible. I hear Cultus Lake is a bit of party place so want to avoid that!

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-21-2009, 03:41 PM

My favorite spot in a provincial park close to Vancouver is Lakeside at Sasquatch Park in Harrison. Even though it is a little bit more of a drive from the city, I strongly recommend it. It is smaller, quiet, has some huge fields for playing, is family friendly, a small trail, and takes reservations. If you can manage to get the spots by the lake, you are set for a fantastic camping trip!

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-21-2009, 10:49 PM

I've been to Golden Ears a bunch of times. I love their campsite for 'easy' camping. There's a beach, a dog beach/boat launch, showers, trails, etc. If you go to this link, you can click on the maps of each campground (Gold Creek, Allouette, North Beach - although I've heard North Beach is more for partiers? YMMV) and see which amenites they have. The Gold Creek map shows that they no longer have any playgrounds, fyi.

Another campground is Rolley Lake, which is about 20 minutes farther east than Golden Ears. It's much smaller (about three 'roads' of campsites) and quieter. But with less people, I also find there are more bears. If you see a ranger driving by honking his horn like crazy, there's a bear in the area! I speak from experience

Oh one more thing - all of the campsites have double spots. You might need to look into that as there are people/vehicle limits in single campsites. Or you could just get two.
#4 of 4 Old 04-22-2009, 02:05 AM

The Fort Langley campsite is nice. Campy without being too far out there for families that don't do a lot of camping, walking distance to the shops in Ft Langley but secluded enough that you don't know that you're that close to civilization. They also have lots of car/tent camp spots.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page