North Vancouver waldorf,montessori, reggio like daycare - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi There!
I am in a bit of a spot and though it it feels as though my insides are being ripped into chum to do so, I must find daycare for my 2 yr, 8 mnth aged girl.
I have been looking and calling and there are a few places that I am okay with, but I would like to feel great about the place my child spends time.

I am in north van. I do not have a car. I wanted to keep her with me and was in fact planning on "unschooling" as much as I could. I do not bring in branded clothing or toys unless special circumstances stand. Most of our stuff is wood or homemade or second hand and still very little to no plastics, no digital noise makers, etc... We are vegetarian eating vegan much of the time.

Is there a daycare that is something like this? I have been looking. A friend had a bad experience with an official at waldorf saying that the child must be weaned before attending. I am still breastfeeding and this news scared me a bit. I have been online to the waldorf vancouver site but see nothing about daycare. Does anyone have any experience with Waldorf here in North Van?

I would just like a place where natural play, lots of outside explore and play time, and compassionate, sensitive children exist, without a bunch of plastic toys and without abundant usage of the phrase "good job!".
I also need flexibility in times and hours of care.
Is there anything that anyone knows of on the North Shore?
Thanks...
#2 of 6 Old 06-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would post in the childcare section on craigslist and describe everything you want in a nanny or daycare. You might find a great fit right in your area

Most people I know do a phone interview - in home interview - then reference/criminal check.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#3 of 6 Old 06-13-2009, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing the craigslist and it is slow going so far. I was just hoping maybe someone knew of something that I may be missing...Guess I will just keep at it.
#4 of 6 Old 06-13-2009, 02:20 AM
Len

Have you tried Lifeways? They are a Waldorf like child care center and I know a few of the teachers are amazing. They are in North Van, their phone # 604-904-4198.

Also, If you go to the Waldorf school website and download the "bulletin", sometimes there are Waldorf moms/teachers who advertise their services as in-home daycare, all within the natural parenting philosophy, and also in North Van.

My ds1 (9) has been in Waldorf since preschool, and I BF'd him until past 4 years. I know for a fact that several other women have done/are doing EBF as well.

Good luck with that! I may be looking into part-time daycare for my 2.5 year old in the fall as well....
#5 of 6 Old 06-14-2009, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Len;
Thanks for the input - I have not, or I have forgotten that I have, heard about lifeways. I did download the Waldorf bulletin about a month ago (give or take a few weeks), but not recently...
Right now I am looking at Park Place across from the cap mall. There is a lot of plastic and such, but my little girl really took to it, and the instructors right away. They do have a park right out back that they take the kids out to a few times a day. I also noted the way they talked to and with the children and did not hear one "good job". I heard more like I would say...acknowledging what ever in a specific way with out too much in the way of judgement language, letting the child talk about the accomplishment or action...
Oh. I do not know...I do not want to be judgemental and yet find myself being so. I just want her to grow up aware of how our choices of consumption affect our social and eco enviroments. And if she is playing with all the really cool plastic and trendy toys outside of home, I just wonder how long it would be before she thinks there is something wrong with home...Anyway I tend to worry overly...
Has your son been in the North Van Waldorf, I assume it must be as I think they are the only Waldorf around...?
#6 of 6 Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 AM

Hi Debe,

My little girl turns three in November and I'm still breastfeeding also... We've just returned from Australia and I'm a little behind in getting preschool/daycare sorted out.

Did you find a Lifeways daycare in Vancouver? I couldn't find it. I've found some interesting preschools, but again I'm a bit late getting going. I also want to stay connected to her care/learning/play as long as possible, and am very committed to organic natural everything. My sister told me about a new childcare "house" starting in North Van with an organic garden etc but the info was tucked away when I left town, so I've sent her an email for the details again. It was expensive, but that seems to be how it goes with all things good for people and the planet.

Would love to hear what you've found... I'm not in any rush, so no need to worry about competition for spots! heehee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page