ottawa mamas -know of doulas with vbac experience - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
am trying to find a doula in ottawa who has experience working with vbacs. am actually hoping for a vbac at home, so a bonus if experience there

i don't know where to start, and i really want to have a solid, supportive team so that hopefully i can have a birth closer to what i really want this time around.

would love advice on this
thanks!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 02:34 AM

Have you found an attendant who will attend a VBAC at home?
I've heard there can be difficulty finding this in our region.

4 kids under 10
Old 06-26-2009, 10:29 PM

If you find anyone - attendant and/or doula -- please post, I'm hoping to need this soon! Good luck...
Old 06-27-2009, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
Have you found an attendant who will attend a VBAC at home?
I've heard there can be difficulty finding this in our region.
not yet. am hoping a lead i got from my naturopathic doctor this week will work out but that's exactly the problem - finding a doula who will attend a vbac at home. it's really frustrating as i know vbac rates at the hospitals in ottawa pretty much suck (at least according to the fraser institute) and i just want to have the best chance possible at having a successful vbac and in my heart i know at home is it.

frustrating too, because women need support in vbacs, and if i can't find it then what? i'm not originally from ottawa and i just don't know where to look. so hopefully that lead will work out, if not back to square one...

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 PM

I'm not sure that you will be able to find a doula who will act as a primary attendant for any birth, VBAC or otherwise. Doulas are not birth attendants.
You'd need to find a midwife to be an attendant in order to have a doula attend as well.

I'd recommend contacting Sages-Femmes of Prescott-Russell, if you haven't already.

Does the Fraser Institute tell rates of successful VBACs in hospital with midwives versus OBs? I can imagine rates would be better with midwives in hospital than the general rate. I also think it would be a lot easier to find a midwife who would attend a VBAC in hospital versus at home. I know that's not your ideal, but just offering some 'plan b' ideas, just in case.

4 kids under 10
Old 06-28-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

oh my midwife is supportive of a vbac at home
so no am looking for a doula for labour support for it, which is why i am puzzled at why i am having such a hard time
since my midwife is supportive of an hbac

Old 07-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Oh, that's just absurd.
But why is experience in this necessary? A good labour doula will be a good doula even if she hasn't attended a HBAC before. And, it can be hard for women to make this choice, so it will be hard for you to find a doula with experience.

4 kids under 10
Old 12-29-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star*mora View Post
oh my midwife is supportive of a vbac at home
so no am looking for a doula for labour support for it, which is why i am puzzled at why i am having such a hard time
since my midwife is supportive of an hbac
Wondering if you found a doula to support you. I am a doula in Ottawa and I am hoping that your trouble was just due to availability and not issues with HBAC
Allison
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 PM

I hope you find a doula you like. At least you have a midwife! That is surely half the battle.I am in Montreal, 16 weeks pregnant and on the dreadful waiting lists to find out if I can get in the birthcenter/get a midwife at all. I had a pretty traumatic birth with my son after planning for a natural birth. I really don't want to be in a hospital this time around! How far along are you? good luck!

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Hi,

I know you posted this a few years ago...but I was just curious how your birth went? I really want to have a vbac, I don't ever want another c-section.

Thanks,

Jamie

User Tag List