Vancouverish Tribe - July (no lie!) - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really love to hear your description of raising your food, Autumn Mama... Thank you for sharing it with us! Your kids are getting SUCH a good experience in this...

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 03:15 AM

We are near S Burnaby, just on the Vancouver border near Joyce.
How old is your other dc?

Mine are 3.5 months and 3.5 years, both boys.

I missed that you were broken into Sheila...

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#213 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheek&Squeak View Post
yikes- 31 degrees in my kitchen .... bed in the basement again tonight
yeah, still 30 degrees here...and no basement! The kids are sleeping outside in a tent for the first time without one of us . They are just outside my bedroom window, so if they don't wake up before we go to bed, I fully expect to have to run out in the middle of the night to help someone unzip the door so they can get out ...then they join us in the king bed under the ceiling fan. I felt a bit of a breeze a little while ago sitting outside - it even got my wind chimes going for a minute - but nothing making its way into the bedroom :. I think they said today would be the hottest...

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#214 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 03:52 AM

Ugh, I hate it when my kids are sick, especially with this heat :

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#215 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 03:59 AM

Thanks, tooticky! If you ever want to come and visit, PM me. I'm only ~ an hour from N Van....

We hit 38 degrees here, humidity raising that to "feels like 43" Gack! I didn't feel as hot today. I ate veggies and protein, no carbs. Could that have made a difference? Oh, and water, lol. By the bucketful!

Around 4:00, when we reached 37 degrees, I put ice cubes in all of the critters' water vessels and we met DH in Tsawwassen for a swim and dinner on the beach. The water felt like a bath tub! Not exactly as refreshing as we were hoping for, but it was wet at least!

The house is finally cooling down, the kids fell asleep with cold wet towels over their chests. Works great to cool them down.

Welcome to all of the new mamas! I was overly eggcited about my newly laying hens and completely left my manners somewhere else. Off to drink my tea and fall asleep.

G'Night!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#216 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
I think they said today would be the hottest...
They originally said yesterday would be, but I haven't checked a forecast again. It hit 40 on our front porch yesterday. We have no yard, and no basement, so we're mostly just toughing it out. I was a total grump with my kids yesterday, and today isn't off to a much better start. The heat is making dd1 sullen and grouchy, and it's making ds2 just...ugh. Jenna doesn't like it, either - she's really fussy and can't sleep very well during the day. So...add the fact that I'm still a bit under the weather from the surgery and am really bad in the heat at the best of times, and you have a moderately grumpy household.

I hope it drops, at least a few degrees, soon. I'd like to at least be able to sleep. When I first went to bed last night, I was so hot that I felt as if I couldn't breathe.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#217 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself, and my little family. My husband, 2-year-old daughter, and I will be moving to Vancouver on August 1st, from London, Ontario. We are very excited! In London, we were actively involved in our LLL group. I'm a Feldenkrais practitioner, and my husband is a pianist.

I've been perusing this forum for a little while, and I just wanted to say hi!

I also have a question: can any of you recommend an open-minded pediatrician in Vancouver? Or even a family doctor? We'll be on UBC's campus when we move.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Looking forward to getting to know you better!

Sarah.
#218 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 06:59 PM

to all the newbies!

We used to live in London, Ontario. I can't recommend a pediatrician. We have a doc in Kits, but he isn't taking new patients.

It feels hotter in our house today. The humidity went up 10%. Hoping the humidity goes down soon.
#219 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
I didn't feel as hot today. I ate veggies and protein, no carbs. Could that have made a difference? Oh, and water, lol. By the bucketful!
Could we maybe getting used to it?! I am not as grouchy today as I have been, and don't feel as uncomfortable - but it is just as hot ( or hotter even) My mom would probably say somthing about blood thinning out and getting used to the heat - i'm sure this is some kind of weird myth though

Dawn- I have 2 boys as well, 15 weeks, and 2.5 years. We live just up from Mandeville gardens.

Sorry , can't be of help on the pediatrician front... we have a family doctor who isn't taking new patients either. I usually just take my kids to the pediatric wal- in clinic in north Burnaby when the need arises.... I wonder if there is another one similar closer to UBC??

I just noticed today that my 15 week old seems to have a bit of a bald patch where his cradle cap is at it's worse- is that normal?? DS 1 never had cradle cap ...I'm assuming that's what this is, but other than putting oil on it i'm not sure what to do.. just hoping hair loss is kind of normal?!

Lauren, proud breastfeeding mama to 2 sweet boys 03/07 and 04/09 :
#220 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 PM

stemple, welcome! a great family practice is located at 8th and Laurel, and their phone number is 604....ack! I forgot it!!! I think there is a thread somewhere discussing vancouver doctors, and the doc who comes highly recommended from that practice is nardia strydom, though I doubt she's taking new patients, and all other docs there that I've dealt with are great -- desk staff is great, just a great practice, and maybe they're taking newbies???

40 degrees, eh? welcome to the summers of my youth!! I miss it, actually, though I'm not sure what 40 is equal to in farenheit... makes me wonder what kind of heat they're dealing with in chico -- the hottest I remember was 117 F... those days I do NOT miss, when it feels like you're in an oven anytime you're not in a/c or in a cool body of water... parking lots are the worst!! though the heat in vancouver is more humid than chico... 90 F in chico is still not too bad, (perfect for swimming in the creek!) but in vancouver it's icky -- I think that's about where you guys are now... ok, so I just checked, and actually 40 = 104, which is pretty dang hot! it's between 90 and 105 most of the summer in chico, but with some 80-90 thrown in there and a few 105-115 days in there too... not much else to do but swim!!

ok, so you can carry on complaining, that's pretty dang uncomfortable in vancouver...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#221 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 07:59 PM

Hi Tiffani- you are in Wellington? My in-laws are in Waikanae!

#222 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Tiffani- you live in Wellington now ?? My in-laws are in Waikanae

#223 of 226 Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 PM

Wow, small world!!! and I'm pretty sure I even know where Waikanae is!! so does that make your spouse a kiwi? and you?

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#224 of 226 Old 07-31-2009, 01:45 AM

LOL - sorry I posted that twice...1st one vanished so I didn't think I did it right!! Yup my DH is a kiwi.... I'm from Burnaby though. We've been back twice ( DH 3 times) since then.

#225 of 226 Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 PM

OK, since DS is now out of diapers, I have some to sell: Mostly fitted diapers in hemp or cotton (Muttaqins, Nana's Bottoms, Bella's Bottoms, Little Beetle, etc), several Bummis PUL wraps, a fleece cover, a couple of wool covers, etc. Dipes are one-size or mediums, covers are mostly mediums, with a few large, I think. PM me if you're interested. Thanks!

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#226 of 226 Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 PM

It's August now right?

New thread

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page