New Brunswick mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all!

I just moved back to New Brunswick (Fredericton area) after being away for a couple of years. And I don't know anyone anymore! I see a lot of Halifax tribes on here, but is there anyone here from NB?

I'm Megan , married to Steve, mama to Rowan (11/07) and thrilled to be 03/10!
#2 of 25 Old 08-17-2009, 03:22 PM
npd

Hello! We are in Moncton... and I was wondering the same thing! Anybody out there in NB??

~~ Natalie ~~
Loving and learning with my DH since 09/1992 , DS1 03/2002, DD 06/2003 and DS2 09/2006
#3 of 25 Old 08-25-2009, 03:38 PM

Hi NB Mama's! We live in Saskatoon.

caffix.gif

#4 of 25 Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 PM

SJ mama here

A. Adoring my hubby, homeschooling our two beautiful lil vegetarian kiddos, snuggling our newest addition born in Nov'09 (attempted UC turned transfer at 36 weeks with PPROM) and missing our baby who we didn't get to hold in our arms
#5 of 25 Old 10-01-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Maritimemum...we go to Saint John quite often. What do you do for fun with kids there? I've heard there's an indoor kids' gym...is this true?

I'm Megan , married to Steve, mama to Rowan (11/07) and thrilled to be 03/10!
#6 of 25 Old 10-01-2009, 02:23 PM

We do a lot of beach combing, the Irving Nature park is great, Rockwood park is another with a huge kids area and then just the hiking trails and free spaces to run.. and yes we suddenly have TWO indoor play areas! We havent been yet since they just opened over a very very busy summer for us but as the snow hits i bet we will make it to both to try! I have friends who have been to both and said they are great.. one is called http://www.visitjustplay.ca/ and the other is http://www.playedoutfuncentre.ca/

A. Adoring my hubby, homeschooling our two beautiful lil vegetarian kiddos, snuggling our newest addition born in Nov'09 (attempted UC turned transfer at 36 weeks with PPROM) and missing our baby who we didn't get to hold in our arms
#7 of 25 Old 10-01-2009, 10:02 PM

Just noticed this thread and wanted to pop in and say hi. Homeschooling/unschooling 3 dks (8,7 & 3) here in Moncton.
#8 of 25 Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 PM

Hi all I am in Saint John. I am pretty sure I know you Maritimemum. We have a 2 year old little boy and our second boy is due at the end of February.
#9 of 25 Old 10-21-2009, 04:25 PM

I saw that this thread is alive again so I came to check it out. I got soooo excited when I saw a post from someone in the Edmundston area (my area)....then I realized that it was my post from so long ago lol. Sigh, to good to be true.

caffix.gif

#10 of 25 Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amclure View Post
Hi all I am in Saint John. I am pretty sure I know you Maritimemum. We have a 2 year old little boy and our second boy is due at the end of February.
pretty sure you do too lol..

#11 of 25 Old 10-29-2009, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We're (indefinitely) in Moncton. I have a dd who is ten months. I spent my high school years here, but both the city and myself have changed a lot since then!
I've just discovered http://www.outsidethecrib.com/
Does anyone in the Moncton area have a chiro recommendtion? There seem to be several practices, but I'd rather choose via recommendation than simply by closing my eyes and pointing to one in the phone book!

For greater things are yet to come...

#12 of 25 Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Bumping this up, again.
We're moving to St. John, and looking forward to settling in for the long haul. We've moved a lot over the past few years, and I'm really, really excited to stay put for a good long while. DH got a job that looks to be both challenging and interesting, and I'll be on the hunt for a part-time something as of April-ish.
Fingers are majorly crossed that our IF treatments work in late Feb/early March and that we'll then be on the hunt for pregnancy/birthing resources of the crunchier sort in St. John.
For now, I'm off to investigate LLL in St. John...maybe I'll see some of you St. John mamas there?

Just in case anyone in the future is wondering, Dr. Kate Randall is a super, super chiro here in Moncton. 853-8110. She's really kid friendly, and gentle too. I'm sad to be leaving her!

#13 of 25 Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 PM

Oh, Saint John mamas, help? I'm a notorious thread killer, it's awful, but I'm hoping someone in the know might send me some info?
I'm looking for:
-LLL
-Playgroups ( friends for me? )
-a recommendation for a gp
-a store that sells things like probiotics from a fridge, hylands teething tabs, etc, etc
-a cheaper pool than the Canada Games Aquatic Center

We're "Uptown" and I love our apartment. We're still painting and settling, but there's time recently for thinking about real life. As in, life outside getting the books on shelves and finding a way to hang our bikes. What's going on out there, in Saint John?!

I got a membership to the NB Museum, we're signed up for "Babies in the Library", but I feel sort of lost.

Oh, I'm a former midwifery student, IDS grad, mama to one DD (13 months), and hoping for another soon.

#14 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 AM

Hey!!! well welcome to sj! Sorry i havent be posting here for a few months due to life and lack of time!! Okay lets see if we can help you out!
-LLL the meetings are held on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 7:00 pm they are in different homes for a few meetings then switch the leaders are Jeanette Fisher: 506-848-0193 and Adrienne Melanson: 506-672-0693

-Playgroups ( friends for me? ) I will be your friend ..... skjid.com has a great events calendar and the Family resource center has playgroups http://frc-crf.com/saint-john/programs.cfm i go to a church based moms group (baptist but not too in your face just moms hanging out if you are interested there are a few of us that cloth diaper and baby wear there.. we did have a babywearing group but we havent met in a while due to family and health issues for me.. hmm i should start that again,. though my coleader doesnt bw now that her kids are older... if you are interested in a bwing group let me know i am going to have to do some more thinking and maybe planning on that one lol

other helpful link http://sjkid.com/index.php?option=co...135&Itemid=182

http://sjkid.com/index.php?option=co...151&Itemid=145

-a recommendation for a gp- i cant tell you a not lol not any of the craig brothers :P

-a store that sells things like probiotics from a fridge, hylands teething tabs, etc, etc Atlantic superstore (168 Rothesay Ave 648-1325) has a great natural section and this store just opened http://www.naturallyforlife.blogspot.com/ havent been there yet but it looks great, the Feel Good store on Germain has a bunch of great natural stuff and teas, and i buy our probiotics from a shaklee dealer on the west side if you want her info let me know, she also sells local free chicken eggs raised by kids and fed flax so they are omega three.. oh and local honey and maple syrup and hemp hearts and on and on lol

-a cheaper pool than the Canada Games Aquatic Center I think a few of the hotels have cheap rates for using them? i want to say fort howe hotel does?

We're "Uptown" and I love our apartment. We're still painting and settling, but there's time recently for thinking about real life. As in, life outside getting the books on shelves and finding a way to hang our bikes. What's going on out there, in Saint John?!

I have been a hermit i need to get out but hopefully some of that info will help.. there are natural parenting moms and dads in sj.. our ranks are growing so dont give up

I got a membership to the NB Museum, we're signed up for "Babies in the Library", but I feel sort of lost. Sounds to me like you have a good start

Oh, I'm a former midwifery student, IDS grad, mama to one DD (13 months), and hoping for another soon. Maybe i should have a welcome to sj get together for you with a few of my natural minded moms? would you be interested?

#15 of 25 Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Thanks maritimemum! That was a total goldmine of information. DD and I hit up the $2 tot swim at the aquatic center this morning. She's usually fearless in the pool, and we've been going since she was seven weeks old, but it was a bit of a disaster. I think the water currents were a bit scary? We'll try again though.

I would love to meet up with you and some of your crew, if that works sometime. You hardly sound like a recluse, despite your saying you're a hermit! I'd also be keen on a babywearing group. I have no idea what such a group does, precisely, but I'd love to find out and would be happy to help out.

Thanks again for all the info.

#16 of 25 Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 AM

Hi!

I'm in Freddy. Love to meet some Moms or Mom's to be since all my friends are very, very kid-less!

New Mom to little G May 16, 2010.
#17 of 25 Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post
I saw that this thread is alive again so I came to check it out. I got soooo excited when I saw a post from someone in the Edmundston area (my area)....then I realized that it was my post from so long ago lol. Sigh, to good to be true.
We bought some land in Sainte-Anne-de-Madawaska but we only plan on moving there in another 5 years or so. Eventually you might have some company.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#18 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 12:16 PM

Saint John mamas....

So, I'm pregnant
We also don't have a gp. I put us on the orphan list when we got here, in Feb, and called them again when I got my bfp as per the recommendation of the pharmacist. I haven't heard anything from them though.
I would love a homebirth midwife, but I know such a thing doesn't exist here. I guess I'm just looking for an idea of what a person is supposed to do for prenatal care with no pcp, no midwife, and a community walk in clinic that never answers the phone (Crown St Medical Clinic) in Saint John?!
Ideas?
Thanks.

ETA: Nevermind. I found the info I was looking for. The Women's Wellness Center (673-5454) is a collection of 10 females physicians who look after care for "orphan" pregnant women. Now, if only I could find miso in this city...

#19 of 25 Old 05-30-2010, 10:25 AM

Late response here, but thought I'd say howdy, too.

We're in Moncton, DH and I and our 2.5-year-old with another coming in July.

We have a great group of mothers here who do all the crazy things we do - AP and BF and CD, and even EC. Very fortunate we are. I met all of these mothers through either LLL or Birth Matters, a monthly meeting that loosely revolves around birth topics but mostly just about parenting.

We decided this summer we will be, without a doubt, homeschooling "officially" when the time comes, so - Oobleckmama - I am interested to hear about homeschooling groups in the area. Did you go to the conference in Saint John this weekend?
#20 of 25 Old 07-16-2010, 12:36 PM

I'm in Saint John too.
I'm pretty sure I know MaritimeMum and Amclure. Love to meet up with some other moms too!

Rebecca, Veggie mama of 3 little maniacs Hannah~22/12/2005 Callum~28/12/2006 Benjamin~28/12/2006 ~~~Our newest addition will be joining us mid-late April 2011!!!!
#21 of 25 Old 08-28-2010, 02:16 PM

hello all, it took a lot of effort to find this thread. i' am in the Lincoln/Fredericton area. just got my permanent residence in June and found out i was pregnant shortly after.
is it just me or are there not many resources for pregnant women? no birthing centers, only two hospital, no midwives, i cant even find prenatal classes? i just found a doctor and he wont even be seeing me until my second trimester begins, its all so worrying just seems very... i don't know

happy wife  and sahm. ttc #2 

#22 of 25 Old 09-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endellion View Post
hello all, it took a lot of effort to find this thread. i' am in the Lincoln/Fredericton area. just got my permanent residence in June and found out i was pregnant shortly after.
is it just me or are there not many resources for pregnant women? no birthing centers, only two hospital, no midwives, i cant even find prenatal classes? i just found a doctor and he wont even be seeing me until my second trimester begins, its all so worrying just seems very... i don't know
I live in West NB, near Edmundston. There are so very few resources for pregnant ladies here, and even less for those of us who would rather have more of a midwifery model of care. If I am not mistaken there is a midwife in Fredericton, and at least one doula. Here is a link for the doula website. She is too far away for me . I am doing an unassited pregnancy/hospital birth and after much soul searching I have decided that it is the best way for me to go. I'm 36 weeks now and only saw a Dr. (who I was very unimpressed with) 3 times in my second trimester for bloodwork and ultrasound. Everything else I can do at home. If you do want to see a Dr. before your 2nd trimester, then it sucks you don't have access. But from my experience, you should be just fine. I went in at 18 weeks. But I hear you on not getting the care you want. New Brunswick needs some big changes.

caffix.gif

#23 of 25 Old 09-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Not a single midwife in New Brunswick (Kate in Fredericton is no longer a midwife). There is a kind, educated woman in Moncton who assists women who would like to have UCs. But no midwives. There will be one in Sackville next summer, but that's too late for most of us.

I just spent thousands of dollars to travel and have my baby at "home" in Ontario. After having done the same, but to Nova Scotia, for my first.

If you're interested in having midwifery legislated here, please do join the group Birth Matters. Mostly busy mothers in the organization so it's hard to get things done, but certainly passionate women here who are working toward a solution.
#24 of 25 Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Keep looking on the doula front! I met a born and raised Saint John-er not too long ago who is active in "natural" circles, and she had no idea that there are at least four trained and practicing doulas here. Sometimes it's not a service you find super easily, but I bet there's someone around. Have you tried putting an ad on kijiji or something along those lines? Ask chiros, yoga instructors and/or NDs, etc. Our local pharmacist was actually a font of information when we first moved here and I was newly pregnant. I hope you find someone!

Natalie in Moncton (the birth attendant) does travel, though I don't know how far. She comes to Saint John, and Fredericton is pretty much equidistant. Edmunston might be a bit much! I would hesitate to recommend her, but she might still be an option (and many people love her services!).  

Endellion - if your hospital has birthing services, and they do, I can pretty much guarantee that they run a prenatal class. Whether or not you want to take that sort of prenatal class might be up for debate, but there's going to be *something* available. ;) Congrats on the residency, by the way!

#25 of 25 Old 06-04-2011, 08:27 PM

sorry i just saw the replies i kind of lost this site for a while

the hospital here doesn't offer prenatal classes just breast feeding stuff

my experience there was absolutely horrid but i have my little girl and that's all that matters

happy wife  and sahm. ttc #2 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page