Vancouverish Tribe - August is hot Hot HOT! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 242 Old 08-12-2009, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it just my computer or did something happen to the boards? They are all squished into the middle & the wrong colour - very disturbing :.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#62 of 242 Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 AM

looks fine to me..

mamas, i'm decluttering again. does anyone have need for 3 toss cushions, they are long and narrow, they'll need to be re-covered. also i have a book called 'healing herbs' and another called 'madhur jaffrey's world vegetarian'. giving these away.

#63 of 242 Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
Is it just my computer or did something happen to the boards? They are all squished into the middle & the wrong colour - very disturbing :.
The last time they changed the forums, I kept a particular skin/colour scheme for my personal settings. Right now, the skin isn't active, so I've got the board default. I'm not sure what happened, but it's been like this for a couple of days, I think. I guess if anyone usually uses the defaults, they won't notice a change, but it's pretty noticeable to me.

Oh - I also use Firefox - I don't know if that would matter.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#64 of 242 Old 08-13-2009, 12:29 AM

Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself over here. Living out in Maple Ridge and planning the November homebirth of our first child

I noticed the new look today and tried to switch back, is it permanent?
#65 of 242 Old 08-13-2009, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome

I'm out in Hope but I like to hang around.

I don't notice anything different about the boards yet.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#66 of 242 Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Hi jaclyn! we're on the Maple Ridge Mission border near Rolley Lake... I don't have any babies anymore (sniff!) but one of my best friends is due with her first in Sept in Maple Ridge

Tiffani... we're looking at going for about a month to visit villages in the Sacred Valley (East Andes)and help at the Hearts Cafe where we would be setting up community hydroponic gardens (using very simple technology) so that people can grow their own food and even maybe have some to sell... its through organizations in our industry called Hydro For Hunger and Institute For Simplified Hydroponics. Technaflora has been donating to them for years, and Jason has been on the board of directors and I've always wanted to get involved. The really interesting thing about Peru is that the director of the program was there before and said that in some areas she found a way of living with the Earth and advanced agriculture that may have more to teach us than vica versa... so she wants us to document what we find in that regard as well as scoping out other poorer villages where a communtiy hydro garden would be beneficial... Anyways I am super excited about it! But right now its just a big *maybe*. I need to get some time with Jay to plan out next 6 months, because we have a lot of travel to do it seems and we need to make some timing decisions... if I can figure out a month that works amoung the rest of our travel etc. than we'll be Peru bound! Unfort we have been helping a close friend this week (way too long story) and there just hasn't been the *right* time to talk about all this...

Robugmom... I am going to remind you next year about Bonfire I promise!!

Malcolm got a violin today (a rental) because he is starting violin lessons next week and he is super excited! Its all been his idea and when I asked him why violin, he told me he likes how it sounds... too cute He's been doing piano for two years now and will continue that as well...

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#67 of 242 Old 08-14-2009, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Where's a good place to get lacing cards?

jaclyn7

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#68 of 242 Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 AM

maybe call the knitting shops on main?

okay, today i was going to buy a couple of felting needles, and was persuaded to buy a felting 'pen' which is just a plastic holder for 3 needles. i was all excited about this, came home and realise, wait! i've always wanted an old school wooden felting tool! knitters, felters, convince me! should i stick with this pen, just buy a couple of needles, or go for it and buy the whole wooden tool?! and if so, which one?

#69 of 242 Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

But it's kind of a toy, but a specialized one...

Maybe Gran Is. Toy Co.?

Or I could make them.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#70 of 242 Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 AM

definitely make them!

#71 of 242 Old 08-14-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
okay, today i was going to buy a couple of felting needles, and was persuaded to buy a felting 'pen' which is just a plastic holder for 3 needles. i was all excited about this, came home and realise, wait! i've always wanted an old school wooden felting tool! knitters, felters, convince me! should i stick with this pen, just buy a couple of needles, or go for it and buy the whole wooden tool?! and if so, which one?
The one I have looks like this: http://www.villagespinweave.com/IBS/.../23089338.html

I've never used a felting pen, but honestly I think that might be the better option. Think about it, when you want dexterity and accuratcy is it better to use your whole fist to stab/poke something or is it better to stab/poke while holding a tool like you would a pen? One gives you more brute force while the other has more finesse.

Maybe I'm just a klutz though. The only times I've ever needle felted I've ended up stabbing myself to bleeding. Its brutal...:

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#72 of 242 Old 08-14-2009, 01:52 PM

dawn I have some wood lacing cards you can have... but not sure how to connect with you... will you come to Hula Hoot is Sept maybe?

#73 of 242 Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 PM

good point, ellp. however the plastic pen is $5 more expensive! and probably will break down pretty fast. i'll think about it. did you buy from those folks, or other recommendations?

#74 of 242 Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 PM

I have a huge desire to felt! Needle felting or wet felting!

I'm hoping once we are into September my older boy and I (+maybe the little one) will take some more classes with this wonderful felter/knitter.

She will be setting up a new class schedule soon, and is hoping to bring in some HL'ers. She is the Waldorf School's handwork teacher, and really gets HL'ing. I really recommend her! My self and my older boy have learned knit ( and he can spin up a storm with her too...) and we've done some basic felting with her too!

But if anyone wants to get together to felt informally we'd be up for that too! I'm ready to begin making more for myself, for practical purposes, and just to nurture some creativity. :

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#75 of 242 Old 08-14-2009, 03:21 PM

errr...I'm not much a crafter (have done a few things, but not with textiles - I have a textile phobia of sorts), but I have to admit I'm curious. What exactly is felting?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#76 of 242 Old 08-14-2009, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulmom View Post
dawn I have some wood lacing cards you can have... but not sure how to connect with you... will you come to Hula Hoot is Sept maybe?
Yes, I plan on doing HH. :
Will you be there the first session?

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#77 of 242 Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Dawn... yep... I think we will be around in Sept so should be at the first session... if Im in town with some extra time before that i'll let you know or let me know if you're ever out near Rolley lake or near the Mary Hill Bypass in Poco (where my work is)...

#78 of 242 Old 08-15-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
I'm amazed at how far dexter has come, though he is still such a challenge in some ways... but on the whole, he has matured so much, and has learned to control himself in most situations. he's a total nutjob sometimes, don't get me wrong, , but I can see that he will grow into a functioning adult, and a very unique and special one at that. but I know how hard it is to struggle and worry, so ...
I needed to hear that too. Calvin is going through a rough patch. He's at daycamps (I'm working more over the summer), and the current one is for 6-12 year olds, which is a big age spread, and I think he's learning some nasty stuff from those kids. Lately if we say no to anything it's a huge scene and he punches and kicks and generally behaves like a little monster. It's all "I'm gonna give you a knuckle sandwich" and other tough talk which just sounds so silly but hateful. Today I had to take him to the final "gala" of the library's Book Camp where Emily was reading one of her stories. And I remembered why we stopped going to church! He was crawling everywhere and yapping away and just generally being a nuisance, though definitely not as bad as before. Thank goodness all the other people had kids too, so they were pretty understanding. On the good side, Emily's story was well-received. Which is great, because she had been too busy reading one of those Twilight books this week and realized on Wednesday before dinner that she had to hand in the story the next morning. She ended up writing three stories, and hated all three of them. But the one she handed in was actually pretty good. I suggested the idea, based on something a radio station (in Australia!) was doing that morning - people were calling in "traffic reports" from where they were and apparently there's not much traffic in most of Australia, so there were lots of cow and ant traffic reports. So she wrote a story about a little girl who wanted to be a traffic reporter when she grew up, so she would do traffic reports about whatever was in the backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Apparently I'm just like the witch in fairy tales, partly because of my long dark hair
Too funny - I still always think of you as looking the way you did when I first met you and Cayden was only 4 months old - you had a buzz cut goin' on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
I'm hoping once we are into September my older boy and I (+maybe the little one) will take some more classes with this wonderful felter/knitter.
Oh, yes, she's amazing with the kids. She did a felting class for the littler kids (and a leather-working class with the bigger kids) and they started with felting a rock - which is un-spun wool around a rock, and you basically use hot water and soap and rub it on a washboard to make the wool fibres shrink and lock together. Then they "decorated" them with a bit of embroidery thread. Then they felted wool hats for themselves and that was super cool.

Ksenia - glad to hear your neighbour found Elizabeth helpful. I'm certainly very happy with my paint colours. And now that the flooring is done, we're gradually moving stuff back in, sorting and purging as we go. Unfortunately, the flooring guy screwed up and covered up one of our heating vents, so I have to get in touch with him about that. : It's so weird, because he was so careful and cut so neatly for all the others... Now we just have to do the baseboard in the basement (baseboard installation upstairs pretty much killed the budget...).
I'm doing a major (for me) Ikea hack: I have these 2 Ivar cabinets that I painted green (to match my old green Robin bookshelf that they only made the first year Robin came out). Well, I have a third cabinet, but it doesn't fit where I want them and Calvin wrote on it with a Sharpie... Anywho, I'm turning an Ivar upright into a plinth to set the cabinets on, and I'm using the extra bits to build legs for the plinth and to cover the ends of the plinth. It's pretty complicated, but I think it's going to look neat, and it's all using stuff I already have! Today was measuring and "sawing" day - I used a compound sliding mitre saw all by myself. I am the woman!!!! The rest of the Ivar stuff is in Calvin's room, surrounding his dresser, so he has one "wall" of storage, and more space to play. I'm also going to put shelving in his closet, and make the bottom a little "play space" for him. I've got a makeshift thing in there (amazing what you can do with milk crates), and he thinks it's great.

I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate homelearning space into our living space. My living room is very awkwardly configured, with a fireplace at an angle, a huge window with window seat (that is useless and uncomfortable to sit on) and too many entrances. I've figured out a "conversation area" that works, but it chops up the rest of the space. My kitchen already has Emily doing her schoolwork there, so it doesn't work for Calvin and I to work there too (we tried). Do any of you have any blogs or or threads or other idea sources you could recommend?

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#79 of 242 Old 08-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
good point, ellp. however the plastic pen is $5 more expensive! and probably will break down pretty fast. i'll think about it. did you buy from those folks, or other recommendations?

I don't remember where I got it. I just know I picked it up along with a bunch of felting needles at Fiberfest in Abbotsford a few years back. Birkland Bros. should have it though, I've seen them there. I think I paid about $26 for mine?

Quote:
I have a huge desire to felt! Needle felting or wet felting!

But if anyone wants to get together to felt informally we'd be up for that too! I'm ready to begin making more for myself, for practical purposes, and just to nurture some creativity. :
I'm off to look at that link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
errr...I'm not much a crafter (have done a few things, but not with textiles - I have a textile phobia of sorts), but I have to admit I'm curious. What exactly is felting?
Felting is when you take some wool (yarn or unspun fiber) and add friction either through warm soapy water or by poking with special needles. The friction causes the scales on the wool fiber to interlock and become a fabric. It can be as easy as taking a handful of wool and rolling it like you would a meatball in soapy water, or as complicated as using felting needles to create a collage.

I'm currently making a felted wool handbag with yarn I bought from Saltspring Isl. Its going to be multistriped. Once I"ve knitted the bag, I'll sew it up into the shape I want it, then throw it into the washer/dryer. In the end I'll have a really sturdy, soft bag.

#80 of 242 Old 08-15-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post

I'm off to look at that link!

I will be seeing Suzanne this week in Gibsons at the Fibre Art Festival. She will be set up with her caravan selling her felted and fabric pieces, and she has invited my Ds to come and help her make a felted rug. I will ask her about posting a Fall schedule. She is really hoping to work more with HL'ers and others on her non-Waldorf School days at her studio.

She taught my oldest to knit very quickly over a couple of classes (he is seven...) and she incorporates Waldorf story-telling into the instruction which really seems to help with the developing muscle memory work. I even recall the stories when I find myself stuck, and it helps me to progress!

Matthew is spinning his own fibre now, using his very own orange wood drop spindle that we splurged on wth his learning investment in June, and he can use the fibre from Suzanne's Angoras too and create wool! (We are baby-sitting her 6 bunnies over the summer while she travels to see her sheep at her farm in Oregon and attends fibre festivals...). He is learning a tonne from her as am I! We're looking forward to more classes and more projects. Last Spring in adition to learning to knit (Both of us there together) Matthew wet felted a hat, finished it with a dry felted flower and embroidered detailing onto it, I made a wet-felted scarf from freshly dyed fibre we did a previous class in a rich indigo and green blend, we made tooth fairie pillows, and Matthew learned to spin.

I'm hoping more HL'ers will find her as helpful and as enriching as we have. She has a very gentle presence with the kids and loves to tell stories about all of the farm animals she has had. She is a great story teller and time spent with her passes fast!

That's all I have to say (like you needed more, lol)!!!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#81 of 242 Old 08-15-2009, 07:05 PM

lori, that sounds like major home renovation to me! I bought a little dresser for the newbies' stuff, and will paint it and line the drawers today... I love projects like that!

I really wanted to get into fiber arts while we were here in NZ, but oddly enough, they aren't nearly as big as they are in north america. not many knitting shops, etc, and I can't imagine finding felting stuff -- it must exist here... i guess since it's nearly spring i should get on that, as the sheep shearing will be happening soon...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#82 of 242 Old 08-15-2009, 08:26 PM

Hey Tiffani, Ashford, the makers of looms and spinning wheels is based in NZ. I've always wanted to go visit them as I hear they are fabulous. They're one of the BIGGEST fiber art equipment producers in the world.

http://www.ashford.co.nz/home/home-frameset.htm

#83 of 242 Old 08-15-2009, 10:16 PM

I'd love to attend those knitting/felting classes, Autumn Mama. She seems to do classes on weekends, and I'm wondering if we got a few homelearners together if she would consider doing one mid-week?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#84 of 242 Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 PM

I KNEW one of you would say "you're crazy, there's all kinds of fibre arts stuff going on in new zealand!" but honestly, I've only ever seen a couple of people knitting here, you never see anything about fibre arts advertised anywhere, no exciting wool shops or anything... that place you mentioned is in christchurch, which is on the south island (we're on the north)... when we were on the south island I did see a bit more in the way of sheep shearing demonstrations, etc, though it was probably just the time of year, and we were driving all over the place... I'll do a google search right now and see if I can find anything in our area...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#85 of 242 Old 08-15-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
I'd love to attend those knitting/felting classes, Autumn Mama. She seems to do classes on weekends, and I'm wondering if we got a few homelearners together if she would consider doing one mid-week?
I was thinking the same thing. I think dd1 might really enjoy that. Textiles intimidate me, and I've recently been thinking about where/when/how to expose her to crafts such as knitting.

#86 of 242 Old 08-16-2009, 12:23 AM

HI,

I am a newbie to this site and have high hopes that it will be a wealth of info and community building. I just gave birth to my first child at home July 27th- a healthy baby girl named Kohia (polynesian for passionflower).
#87 of 242 Old 08-16-2009, 01:47 AM

Welcome kholkestad! Congrats on your little one. What a beautiful name!

I might be up for a HL's fiber craft workshop. Emma gets plenty exposed to fibery stuff here but to be honest, I'm a little too anal about my stash of stuff to let her really get messy with it. She's also not the most co-ordinated of 4yo and I'm afraid that my anal-ness might rub off on her the wrong way...

#88 of 242 Old 08-16-2009, 02:25 AM

Suzanne and I have talked before about HL classes and the challenge for her schedule is that she is the Handwork teacher at the Vancouver Waldorf School, and so she is quite committed there already. So, she had discussed the possibility of Fridays or the weekends. She's also the mama of two kids...so busy in that regard as well.

I'll find out more this week and check back when I talk to her. I think she'd be interested in making something work! She has talked of incorporating more HL ing classes in, she's just not sure how it will come together just yet. We've talked about hosting some natural dying workshops she could lead out here at our farm, too, as there is plenty of plant material to draw from plus an inspiring area to muck about outdoors. Would there be any interest there?

#89 of 242 Old 08-16-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
We've talked about hosting some natural dying workshops she could lead out here at our farm, too, as there is plenty of plant material to draw from plus an inspiring area to muck about outdoors. Would there be any interest there?
That sounds really cool!

#90 of 242 Old 08-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Yup, I'd be up for a dye class. Would it be for adults or little ones, or both?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page