Vancouverish Tribe - August is hot Hot HOT! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 242 Old 08-22-2009, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tiffani, that sounds like absolute torture. Both the milk/sore boobs situation and the extra delay once again in the adoption process. Huge hugs to you guys xo.

We're off to the Ottawa folk festival this morning, looking forward to that!!! We're really missing so many of the things we love in Vancouver. Including our annual trip to the folk festival, eating good sushi, going to salt water beaches, and having a great community of people we know and love. We've been meeting neat people here, but you know, it always takes time to build things up.

We think we've finally found a piece of property we all love so we're crossing our fingers that our offer will work. Won't be able to start building, though, until the spring so we've found a great house-sitting opportunity for the winter in a really funky neighbourhood that hosts bi-weekly potlucks and is VERY community minded. Already have a couple of leads on childcare! So stoked about moving in there Sept. 1st!!!! Oh, and we're coming out west for a couple of weeks in Sept - family wedding in Princeton. Can't wait! I'm hoping to have a beach day/forest day or two where I can let people know the date/time and hopefully meet up with a bunch of you. Elisa, how long are you guys in town?!

Glad to hear everyone's doing well! Super jealous of the fibre class activities - wish we could join in too!! Hugs to all! :

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#122 of 242 Old 08-22-2009, 02:19 PM

(((tiffani)))

erica, that's great you'll be out for a visit! i'm still unsure of my departure date, probably the 16th september but we may delay right through to the end i'd love to hear more about the property. we would love to see you, and meet with more folks here too.

#123 of 242 Old 08-22-2009, 04:33 PM

Len, thanks for posting that article. I am so bummed! Although we got our Sigg bottles just last Christmas they do appear to be the "old" kind.

Sigh! It's so hard to make the right choices when even the "good guys" lie....

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#124 of 242 Old 08-22-2009, 04:51 PM

so i guess that means the sigg boxes are also a problem? :

#125 of 242 Old 08-22-2009, 08:40 PM

hey mamas, i'd like to get my tall girl (nearly 9!) a new coat for autumn/winter before i leave. any suggestions for good quality companies? something sturdy but pretty would be great

#126 of 242 Old 08-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
I'm in severe pain from making milk that won't come out!!!! I have to really squeeze and press on my breasts
Tiffani,

See if you can get your hands on a Whittlestone Breast Expresser (Whittlestone was a NZ'er, so I don't know whether the company has any stores in NZ).. it's a VERY different feeling from pumping.. it works on a massage feeling rather than suction.
http://www.whittlestone.com/

Quote:
"The Whittlestone story began in 1967 when Dr. Walter Whittlestone, a noted scientist and lactation physiologist from New Zealand, recognized a need for a comfortable and painless alternative to "suction style" breast pumps.

He developed an entirely new device called an "Expresser" which used a gentle massaging action, called Pulsation, in combination with One-Way airflow, to more naturally express milk from the breast. The Expresser's revolutionary breast cups incorporated ultra-soft liners that gently and rhythmically massaged the breast to stimulate milk flow.

In 1998, a U.S. based research group brought the Expressers to America for examination by selected lactation consultants and biomedical engineers. The Expressers were judged to be vastly superior to any "suction style" breast pump currently available."

Sorry you're going through such a rough time all around.

Nicki

Mum to : Chloë(May 01) and Molly(June 04)
#127 of 242 Old 08-22-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
We just donated a bunch of mat clothes to Sheway, which supports struggling young mamas and mamas-to-be ... they're great! They're in the Downtrown Eastside.
Or Little Earth ... I got all my mat clothes there second hand. They do consignment.
Thanks for this. As an FYI, Classy Kids told me they are no longer taking mat clothes.

Tiffani, sorry to hear about your challenges. It's fantastic that relac was so successful, so perhaps have faith that you'll be able to do it all again if you need to...

Darcie
#128 of 242 Old 08-22-2009, 11:30 PM

Nicki, is that the kind I borrowed from you to try to pump for molly? I remember it was really comfortable, but I couldn't get anything out... though that was very likely because my nursling was almost 4 I'll see if I can track one of those down when I start pumping again.

I'm spending a lot of time with my boobies in hot water, and today took a really long bath and got rid of a lot of the pressure and hard spots. I don't want to pump at all to relieve the pressure, so just trying to soak it out. I might start pumping once a day once things settle down in there, and hopefully that will keep them prepped for when I want to ramp things back up, depending on how things go, and the ages of the kids we're referred...

thanks for all the sympathetic well wishes. part of me can't believe that we're still many months away from kiddos, but this situation will be easier to manage in pretty much every way, so that feels good... we're used to disappointment in the adoption arena . I am trying to just focus on the positive, we'll enjoy these last several months with just the 4 of us, and HOPEFULLY nothing else will go awry... I swear every time I let myself start shopping for the kiddos, thinking we have a clear path, that's when things go off the rails... so no more shopping!

erica, we really miss a lot of things about vancouver too, friends being top of the list, but good cheap sushi a close second!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#129 of 242 Old 08-23-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Tiffani. Hopefully you can decrease your supply a bit so you only have to pump twice a day but keep the milk available for when you need it. I sure hope the adoption process gets sorted out for you.

That makes me angry that SIGG lied to its customers, but it won't make me stop using their bottles if they aren't leaching bpa. If people on here are getting rid of their bottles, I'll take them off their hands better in my hands then landfills

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#130 of 242 Old 08-23-2009, 04:51 PM

dawn, I think you're on to something wise here.

If folks got together to redistribute the bottles to those who would happily use them (I am one too, who doesn't care, if it's not leaking...why mine more metal to make more bottles, when the risk appears so low for the leaching to occur in the currently-on-the-planet-bottles....kind of following the bottles back to *how* they are manufactured, which isn't pretty...), and then keep them in circulation.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#131 of 242 Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 PM

sorry, i didn't get to the end of that article. it *isn't* leaking?

#132 of 242 Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.zrecommends.com/detail/si...re-than-we-do/
'SIGG began releasing independent testing showing that its bottles leached no BPA in tests that mimicked liquids like colas, fruit juices, and water. These tests don't appear to be any different from the kinds of tests Canada would do if SIGG wanted to import bottles with that liner into our BPA-banning neighbor's home turf - put the material up against a liquid, wait, and see what comes out. In other words, Health Canada and anyone else who regulates BPA will not test for the presence of BPA in the material itself; they will test to see if BPA comes out of the material. It is entirely conceivable that a material could be made using BPA but be so well-engineered and so carefully used that it does not leach BPA, and that appears to be what SIGG accomplished with its third-party provider.'

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#133 of 242 Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 PM

thanks

#134 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 12:11 AM

I had gotten a bad feeling about Sigg quite a while ago and switched to Klean Kanteen.

I have one large Sigg, one medium size, and one small bottle that I would be happy to give away to anyone who wants them. They are a bit beat up (the large one is actually in good condition, but the smaller ones are scratched and dented).

PM me if you would like them...

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#135 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 AM

anyone have suggestions for a good place to consign men's and women's clothing?

#136 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 01:37 AM

hey mamas, i need to get coconut oil before i head back to england. if a few of us participate, we can get 8lbs/1 gallon for $60. i've got about 6 so far and need at least 10 - anyone interested? pm me. you'd need to pick it up at my place in north van.

#137 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 02:19 AM

The whole BPA thing... sigh. I've said this before, but I'll say it again for anyone who hasn't seen this. A few bits I've put together:

In the original study that showed BPA might be an endocrine disrupter, they were doing a hormone study on mice. They had no problems until a staff member washed the cages (which are polycarbonate) with a different detergent than usual. The results went completely screwy, because all of a sudden, the BPA was leaching out.

Avent Isis pumps used to have a problem with the flange/funnel part cracking. It is made of polycarbonate. When I bought mine, the instructions for use specifically said that you should not use *antibacterial* dish detergent to wash the polycarbonate parts because then they could crack.

Plasticizers (like BPA) are used to soften plastics, so they're not so brittle. If they get brittle and start cracking, that means that the plasticizer is leaching out. Hazing is also a sign that it may be leaching plasticizer.

SOOOOOO, my conclusion on this is that BPA only leaches out under certain circumstances. High heat increases the risk (based on the chemistry of plastics and plasticizers), but more importantly, antibacterial detergents appear to be a problem. So if you never use antibacterial detergent and you never put them in the dishwasher, you should be safe. You probably don't want to get any second-hand BPA-containing stuff unless you know it meets these criteria.

Overall, that was rather dastardly of Sigg.

Have to admit I'm not keen on the metal bottles because they're heavy and you can't see inside them. Most have small openings, so hard to clean thoroughly. So for now I'm sticking with polycarbonate. I'm a little nervous about non-BPA stuff because there *has* to be a plasticizer in them, so how do you know if it's leaching out? At least I know how to avoid BPA leaching. Glass is also good, but the whole heavy and breakable thing is not so attractive.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#138 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 02:24 AM

Oh yeah, the whole reason I came on here today...

Poor Emily had a blister on her heel that went bad. Ended up in Emerg at Children's for IV antibiotics. Had to go back for 4 more doses and a final follow-up appointment. This would have been convenient (since I work there and all), except that it meant being there from 6 am to 8:30 pm. And that whole driving back and forth thing. Ooh, still need to catch up on sleep...

Fortunately, it wasn't MRSA (which she's at increased risk of because I work at the hospital, even though I work in the dungeon and don't see patients.) And of course, now she's all messed up again, with increased dizziness and rib pain. Bleh. I hope she feels better real soon, because she has to start at a new school in 2 weeks (part-time, though).

Finally signed Calvin up for SelfDesign. We'll see how this goes...

#139 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 02:33 AM

Oh, Lori - that sucks. I hope Emily's feeling better soon...sounds like a really unpleasant experience, all around.

Tiffani - I hope you can find a solution to your breastmilk woes. It seems such a shame to have put all that effort into relactating, and now be stuck with sore boobs and no child to feed.

So, we're starting to get out and about a bit more. We went to Burnaby Village Museum yesterday, and everyone enjoyed that. I'd never been before. DS1 loved the blacksmith. DD1 loved the little pushcars and old-style scooters and the farmhouse. DS2 loved the "real life steamie". Everyone liked the schoolhouse and the general store. I can't believe I've never been there before. We'll definitely go back at some point.

We went to dh's company party barbecue today. That didn't work out so well. We were there for an hour and a half, and about ready to move outside (there were tables inside to eat at, and we used them, so we had somewhere stable to put things, while dealing with all our kids) when ds2 started to throw up. I think he ate too many sweet things (drank a whole can of Sprite, which was totally unexpected), because once he got it out, he was fine. We had to come home, though, because his clothes were a mess. I need to watch that boy like a hawk when there are carbs around. DD1 didn't get sick, but she thought she was going to, so I had to run her out to the bathroom in a panic, after shoving dd2 (who was spitting up!) onto ds1. Great first impression on dh's new colleagues! *sigh*

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#140 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
hey mamas, i need to get coconut oil before i head back to england. if a few of us participate, we can get 8lbs/1 gallon for $60. i've got about 6 so far and need at least 10 - anyone interested? pm me. you'd need to pick it up at my place in north van.

Hey, artparent, I am considering this, however it's a bit spendy just now. We are trying to fit in some camping, some vision therapy for Matthew, ($400. for the exam, then therapy once a week for many weeks @ $100/week : and it's NOT covered by our extended medical.

I will post when I know about how the vision therapy appointments are scheduled....Nutiva brand right? I haven't used it before, so I don't know if that much is needed yet either.

Also, does anyone have info about whether coconut oil is a hindrance to weight loss? My Dh is shedding some weight, and we're both wondering how much saturated fat is ideal when one is trying to seriously lose weight. I'm also wondering about the same for kids. I have heard that higgh fat intake when one is little causes the fat cells to expand when one is older and thus we begin to gain weight as we age, if we've had a high fat diet when young. Fat cells are little hormone producers and it's all tied into adult weight gain...or so Lorna Vanderhague claims....

My Dh recently read her book, "The Body Sense Natural Diet".

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#141 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM

I tried following "The Body Sense Natural Diet" and didn't have any results. The only way I've been able to lose weight is by following Weight Watchers online, which is basically just portion control and controlling foods that are high in fat and empty carbs. I've lost 40 lbs since December 18, 2008. Yahoo! Now of course I have to keep it off...
#142 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 04:14 PM

dido, that's awesome!!!

Dh lost around 40 lbs the last time he did the "Body Sense" diet, about 3 years ago, however, he got lazy with his carbs again, and the portion control aspect, and the weight crept back on. I do know of many folks who it did work for, but metabolism is such an individual thing that it obviously is not going to be a good fit for everyone.

I try not to get involved in his weight issues, as it is his body, and he is an adult, and can do what he likes! But I do worry about weight related illness creeping into his life at some point. Fingers crossed, he finds his own path again!!!

So, is the issue with consuming fats, then, consuming low saturated fat or coconut oil fat or...? I find it confusing! Is coconut oil a "good' fat?

#143 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 PM

coconut oil is an excellent fat. it is a saturated fat, which is really good for you, contrary to what most folks teach. it is used by the heart really efficiently. i haven't got time just now to get into it in more detail...but it is anti-fungal, and great to cook with, like butter, it doesn't become a transfat at high temperatures. my understanding is that to lose weight you need to get rid of the sugars, and things that convert quickly to sugar, like grains and starchy veg.

#144 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sigg - I am going to keep mine but I heard they are taking them back and sending out new ones or vouchers for new ones. Don't know if that's worldwide or just usa.

Lori - so sorry to hear about Emily's having to be in the hospital

Coconut oil - some people on the traditional foods board say it helps them lose weight, I'm not sure for me. I lost weight initially when we started using it, but that was before ds. I don't think it is making me gain, just staying neutral. I also consider coconut oil really healthy.
Where are you ordering from artparent? I've been wanting to become a buying club member with Wildnerness Family Naturals and buy by the 5 gallon pail but haven't had the chance.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#145 of 242 Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM

sorry to hear about emily! if she is all messed up again after the antibiotics, i wonder if some of the health issues she's struggled with in the past might be related to candida? do you think she'd be willing to consider it?

#146 of 242 Old 08-25-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
i wonder if some of the health issues she's struggled with in the past might be related to candida? do you think she'd be willing to consider it?
Possible... It's also possible that if she has Lyme disease (I still need to get the proper test from California done), that it's a Hirxheimer reaction, where the symptoms flare up when appropriate treatment (IV antibiotics) is started. Things to ponder...

((((tiffani)))) I think that if you just pump once or twice a day just to maintain things you should be ok. Read some Hathor the CowGoddess comics and have a laugh - you'll feel better.

#147 of 242 Old 08-26-2009, 12:25 AM

Here's a question for all you gardeners/canners out there. Have any of you gotten any tomatoes yet? I've been waiting eagerly for the tomatoes to hit the markets but I haven't found any decent and decently priced ones yet. I'm looking to can around 50lbs so the price has to be right.

Last week I went to the local farmer's market and the cheapest tomaotes I found out there were $2/lb, and thats for regular field tomatoes. I know that last year I found really nice organic tomatoes for way less than that. Is it just me, or is the season delayed?

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#148 of 242 Old 08-26-2009, 01:37 AM

Funny, Ellaine. I was going to post the same question up here....

I haven't done any serious looking yet, but if I find anything good I'll let you know.

Do you have a good estimate on how many jars (say 1L size ones) 50 pounds would give you? I was thinking of doing more like 20 pounds, but a friend says that is actually a pretty small amount.

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#149 of 242 Old 08-26-2009, 01:56 AM

Do any of you do tomato salsa? Thinking of canning that. And tomato sauce, because my made-on-that-day sauce is really lousy. I still have lots of jars because we were too lazy to go and get any pickling cukes .

The last part of summer has been pretty cool. My tomatoes are all sitting there waiting and being very green.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#150 of 242 Old 08-26-2009, 01:57 AM

I'm roughly guessing here cause I ran out of canned tomato products back in May. I bought 2- 20lb cases last year and each case gave me roughly 6-8 jars of cooked down spaghetti sauce (750ml size). In terms of diced tomatoes I think I got around 12-15- 250ml jars per 20lbs.

(I get more volume in pasta sauce because I add in onions, garlic, basil etc.)

All I know is that I canned between 40-50lbs last year and even though we aren't huge tomato eaters (only used in soups, stews and pasta sauce) we still ran out in the spring. Once you get used to home jarred tomatoes there really is no going back to the canned stuff!:

Hmm...maybe I should bump my quota to 60lbs... The problem is doing all that skinning, dicing and boiling up in one day...

If anyone can find some decently priced Roma tomatoes I'd sure appreciate it if you'd let me know. (I prefer Romas over field/hothouse tomatoes as they're meatier, less seedy and more uniform in size).

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page