Toronto - TDSB Heritage Language Programs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-13-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

Has anyone enrolled their children in the TDSB heritage language programs? I've heard some mixed things and this may be dependent on the individual instructor. One friend really liked it...my cousin wasn't impressed (they were at different schools doing different languages). However, it's fairly inexpensive and a bit more convenient than some of the Chinese language schools I've also looked into. Perhaps it would be a good intro (my children haven't gone to language school yet).

Would appreciate some feedback if you have any. Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 08-14-2009, 01:50 AM

Hi,

I took Mandarin from about Gr 8 all the way to OAC with the then North York School Board continuing education division. By the end of it all, I probably could read at a Gr 3 level, judging from what my Taiwanese friends could help me assess.

My parents never gripped about it being expensive. They knew there were other places (Mon Sheong for one) that were more costly, but perhaps the quality was better. They chose the NYSB offerings because of the convenient location and that there were many cultural activities under one roof. My parents would do Tai Chi while we were in class in the morning, and the afternoon was filled with martial arts for my brothers and chinese brush painting in the afternoon. Some of the same instructors even taught chinese summer school.

Sorry if this is not much help. The only other thing I would add (don't know if this has changed since I finished in 1990) is that it is for students where at least one parent is a native speaker. I was in awe that a non-Chinese student once tried to enroll, but the teachers were hesitant to take her on, since the courses are not designed for non-native speakers.

Good luck!

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#3 of 4 Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the comments. We'll have to check into the TDSB program a bit further. I did see Mon Sheong and the Chinese Cultural Centre programs too. Thanks again!
#4 of 4 Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 PM

Depending where you live, and the age of your child, you might also be interested to know that several TDSB schools have international language classes integrated into the school day. My sons take mandarin as part of their regular curriculum.

PM me if you'd like more details.

bed-headed mama to two lovely boys, 6 and 4.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page