Halifax Playgroup - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 2068 Old 02-12-2005, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Krista V, regarding millet - we have it for breakfast too, but we don't mill it first, we cook it overnight in a small crockpot ($20 at Cdn tire). It's nice and soft and tasty the next morning. Kieran eats quite a bit of it. We add honey and call it "Pooh Bear cereal". Sometimes we add amaranth too, which increases the protein and mineral value. I can give you the proportions if you are interested.

We are all feeling much better. Kieran's naps are completely crazy right now though. He is napping later and later, and staying up later.... When did your toddlers give up their naps?
#302 of 2068 Old 02-13-2005, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I am jealous that you are doing Waldorf activities with the wee ones. And I love the book-You are your child's first teacher. It is my bible so to speak, along with the baby book. Krista, keep on trying with the circles! In my sons class they use puppets and felt stories and the children are mesmerized. Then to finsh circle they do a movement activity.

I am irritated. Public Health has decided they need to review their finances before agreeing to do a well baby clinic in the south end. I guess babies in the south end and their moms don't need access to health care because every in the penninsula of Halifax is rich right?? So this plan is on hold for the time being. I am still going to persue it. At work we have a woman who is doing her master's degree in social work looking into finding us funding from social development to house parent resource programs. We have proven there is a definite gap in services to the south end.

Christian, I wish for your dad a lot of strength and good days ahead. I have always heard that garlic is an excellent immunity booster. Pump Callum full of the wonderful smelly stuff.

Alison, I am so excited you are going to be working in the Spring garden branch! That's great! I think you should do the puppet shows. They sould build the new library at the old infirmary site and have it attached to the Parent resource centre. Then I could be your co-worker. Whoo hoo!

Hi Alison, Alice, Krista, Andrew, Thomas & baby, And Reece ! Oh and Krista and Azzura & baby (I knew you in baby's first books when you were pregnant with baby #2)

Hello people I have never met!

If i could come to playgroup here is what I would be whining about to you all-
I wish I could afford to be a stay at home mom again! Blech. I love working with babies, but I don't get to see Liam all day because he gets very upset if I visit him. So I have to watch him play through the mirror window. Getting home, it is really hard to maintain housework and get supper on the table. On the weekends I am constantly torn between mounds of housework and spending time with Liam. I feel exhausted at the end of the day. I really think that if it was possible for me to stay home with Liam our family life would be less hectic and more enjoyable. I miss socializing with other moms! You moms in particular. I am telling you I am working hard on baby #2! Liam is still nursing, and I am not going to wean him until he is 2. Oh well. I have gone on waaaaay too long :LOL
#303 of 2068 Old 02-13-2005, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabike
Kieran's naps are completely crazy right now though. He is napping later and later, and staying up later.... When did your toddlers give up their naps?

Eli started to struggle with his nap around 18 months, after we moved, and then after each following move... so every few months. We have always managed to keep it by changing something. Sometimes when it seemed like he wasn't tired engough for a nap we moved his bedtime later and the nap later and that worked. In summer he was going to bed at 7 and napping at 1 (2 year old) and now he goes to bed at 8:30 and naps at 2:30. I also wake him up after 2 hours so he will go down well at night and wake him at 6:30 so he will nap. He has a maximum of 12 hours that he can sleep in 24 hours now (2 1/2 years). When he was 18 months he slept from 6-6 with a three hour nap!!!!!!! Those were the days. Sometimes just changing the way he went down helped. Since Kieran is just weaned it might be a good time for that. I was often surprised by how well Eli would do with a change that I thought might be hard for him. It might be time for him to nap in a new special place?

Anyway I am glad you are all better... hope to see you at playgroup.

O Krista Z, about the millet, does washing it and drying it in the oven make it easier to grind? We have a yummy recipe with ground almonds, millet and cinnamon... and then pour on maple syrup... I cannot get enough of it- some days I have it for a snack too.

Krista V
#304 of 2068 Old 02-14-2005, 01:24 PM

Andrew still naps every day. during the week at daycare he naps regularly at the same time for two hours every day. At home on the weekends, it's a bit more flexible, but he can't manage without at least one nap.

Natalie, good to hear from you. Too bad about the Well Baby Clinic, but at least in the South End if you call the public health nurse they will come and visit you, and if you are having BF problems you can call the mother-baby clinic at the IWK. I don't know if anyone does, but at least there are other options. We have a Well Baby clinic here at the library every month, and it's partly because it's a lot of travelling around for the public health nurses to come out here to visit mums, after the first visit. I know that we had public health nurses visit three times during the first few months, because being in the city the travel was easy! for you!

Krista V., if you want to borrow my large food processor you can. It gets used once a year by Jeff's mother at Christmas time. I never use it! Is Brigitte still wearing the sunglasses? You should definitely get pictures of that, she looked so cute! I want your ground almond cinnamon millet maple syrup recipe, it sounds lovely! Please share!

Leigh Anne, I want your recipe too! I never thought of using the crockpot for something like that. How are you feeling now? I hope Kieran is feeling better too.

I'll see everyone next Monday, since I'm obviously not there today!

Alison
#305 of 2068 Old 02-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Playgroup today was small; me, Eli, Brigitte, Krystin, Azzura, and Sonika. It got a bit crazy at the end... Brigitte screaming and Eli running wild. Brigitte seems to always have a hard time at playgroup which makes it vary hard for me. I leave feeling stressed, tired, and with a headache! I was wondering if anyone is free to open the doors for March? I think we might need a break from playgroup and see if Brigitte does better when she is a bit older. If no one is available the only other thing that I can think of is to have it at my place? I live a few blocks away. I don't know if B would do any better but it would be easier on me for set up and clean up and not having to bundle them up after.

The millet porrige for 1 person:

1/4 cup ground millet
1 tb ground almonds
salt and cinnamon
1 cup water

I just put it all in the pot, bring to a boil, then turn it down to low for a few minutes.... I need to stir it often so it does not get lumpy. Then I pour on the maple syrup and eat it all up.

Wishing wveryone a good week,
Krista
#306 of 2068 Old 02-14-2005, 02:58 PM

Krista, I'd love to help but I can't do every Monday, because of work. I would do this Monday if you wanted, and then I need to figure out my schedule at the new job, cause I don't know which Mondays I have on/off there, they don't work on the same schedule as here.

Anyway, I'll do this Monday, if you like, as long as someone promises to come to playgroup! Andrew and I would also be willing to come to your house if that's what you feel you need to do.

Alison
#307 of 2068 Old 02-14-2005, 09:15 PM

I'm sorry to have missed today. i was planning to come, but things just got out of control. dad's white count is up, so i should be able to bring callum next week.

i've been spending at least 3 hours every day with dad, and he's doing so-so. he's been having difficulty swallowing, and has lost about 30 pounds. he's very weak, and can only just stand now. but, he's slowly getting better with the swallowing. the iv is rehydrating him, and if he can get some food going in, he should be ok. the actual chemo itself wasn't too bad, it's just this swallowing thing. anyway, keep your fingers all crossed for him. if we can't get the swallowing going, he's agreed to some form of feeding tube, and maybe we can get him home soon.

i hope to see all soon,

c.
#308 of 2068 Old 02-14-2005, 09:17 PM

maybe alison and i can alternate mondays? what say you, my dear? :
#309 of 2068 Old 02-15-2005, 10:46 AM

Okay, sounds good. Except that it won't be alternating. For SG I work two mondays on, two mondays off. Would that work?

Alison
#310 of 2068 Old 02-15-2005, 11:13 AM

Yup, alternating was just easier to say than anything else! when do you start at SG?
#311 of 2068 Old 02-15-2005, 12:11 PM

Christian and Alison, Thanks so much for being willing to work it out! I hope B will become less sensitive as she grows up but maybe it is just something I need to except.

Christian, I wish all the best for you father!! Glad his white blood cell count is up.

Alison, I would be interested in using your processor. Maybe I could come to pick it up this week and drop off the key for the church. At church there are enough rice crackers, tea, and a bit of apple- you will need to bring a bit more fruit. Let me know when I can come by.

Thanks, Krista
#312 of 2068 Old 02-15-2005, 12:43 PM

Krista, you can come by any evening, or on Thursday morning. Or on the weekend. Call ahead if you like, I'm in the phone book under Creech. Maybe if you're not in charge of the key, you can come to playgroup for a little while, and leave when Brigitte starts to get upset. I hadn't noticed that she was so bad the last time I was there, to be honest!

Alison
#313 of 2068 Old 02-15-2005, 04:05 PM

I'm sorry to hear that your dad has been having such a rough time Christian. I hope things improve quickly. I'm sure you are being a huge support for your mom too, and that must be draining.

We had a Valentine Party out here yesterday so we couldn't make it but am hoping to go next week. We both miss seeing everyone Let me know if the location changes.
#314 of 2068 Old 02-23-2005, 10:21 PM

What is the news from playgroup?

It was hard to skip it on monday but it seems like the best thing for b. Her new trick these days is to wake up at 4 or 5 am - to PLAY!! Eli's new trick is going peepee in the potty... he is very proud of himself and will run to the potty whenever he has to go- even during serious play, reading, or eating!! I saw Alice, Emma, and Thomas today. It was fun to compare baby habits while the boys played.

Krista Voth
#315 of 2068 Old 02-23-2005, 11:16 PM

Hi Everyone,

As you can tell, I don't make it to this site too often...
I did try to go to the playgroup on Monday though, and found the doors locked...I don't think I was early but that's a possibility.
Is it likely to be on for next Mon?

The millet recipe sounds great.

I have just read the posts about sharing the key responsibility and would be happy to help out if needed. We live about two blocks away. I plan to attend whenever we are all healthy - I had a killer flu the previous week so was homebound.

Krista V - I know you live close by - if you ever need a tea break you would be welcome to come over. We probably have some toys that Eli would find ok, or he could just follow the cats around which is Sophie's main distraction.
#316 of 2068 Old 02-24-2005, 04:47 AM

Hiya casscass,

o dear! we're sorry you didn't get in on monday! the door is always locked, you just need to ring the doorbell on the left side of the door.

dad's not doing well at all, so i don't know if i'll be in on monday.

c.
#317 of 2068 Old 02-24-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xian
Hiya casscass,

o dear! we're sorry you didn't get in on monday! the door is always locked, you just need to ring the doorbell on the left side of the door.

dad's not doing well at all, so i don't know if i'll be in on monday.

c.
I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad Christian. Your family is in our thoughts.

Who should I give the key to? Because I won't be there on Monday, having to work and all. That's the problem with giving someone like me the key, since I can't go every week. Any volunteers?

Alison
#318 of 2068 Old 02-24-2005, 03:09 PM

I plan to go on Monday, and would be happy to open up if that helps.
Are you at the library tomorrow (Friday)? I will be there at 10:30 for Books with Babies and could pick up the key then. If not, maybe we can arrange something on the weekend.

Cassie
#319 of 2068 Old 02-24-2005, 06:09 PM

Hi Cassie. I'm not at Spring Garden yet, so you won't be able to pick it up there. I do live quite near you, since you're close to playgroup, and I am too. It just doesn't seem fair to get you to open up when you've never even been before! I'd like to make sure that someone else is at least going to be there, someone who knows where everything is etc.

Any takers?

Alison
#320 of 2068 Old 02-24-2005, 07:43 PM

I wouldn't mind doing it at all, but I won't be in town again before Monday to get the key. And living as far out as I do I can never guarantee that I will be able to make it in. If Cassie gets the key, and I'm there next week I can certainly make the tea and get the snacks ready etc. But if it is snowy or icy etc. I likely won't be in.
#321 of 2068 Old 02-24-2005, 10:18 PM

hi everyone
i don't post here often, but thought i'd say hello.
we didn't make it out on monday because we were at the
big value village 50% off sale. (lineups were insane!)
I'd like to offer to help out with opeing up playgroup, but unfortunately i am just too unpredictable right now. we also live a bit too far to come out every week.
Anyhoo
i hope all are doing well, and hopefully i will be able to come out this monday..

christian, i'm really sorry to hear about your dad. i have a good friend going through hodgkins right now.. i can't imagine how hard that must be to watch your parent go through that.. my thoughts are with you.

kristyn
#322 of 2068 Old 02-26-2005, 02:36 PM

Cassie, I guess it's you then, if you're willing! If you want to give me a call, we're in the phone book under Creech. Only Creech in Halifax! We'll probably be home tomorrow, since it's my only day off this week! I hope that someone else is planning to go on Monday as well, cause it would be awful if you're first playgroup you end up being alone! It hasn't happened yet, but there's a first time for everything!

Alison
#323 of 2068 Old 02-27-2005, 12:35 PM

Okay folks. I just talked to Trevor, and it doesn't look like Christian will be at playgroup on Monday, her dad isn't too good. He said she's pretty much spending nights at the hospital as well.

Which I think means that there won't be a playgroup tomorrow. I'll leave the keys in my mailbox at home, but unless someone who knows where I live (Krista does, for sure, not sure about anyone else, but if you want to call and find out, please do, like I said above, only Creech in Halifax in the phonebook!) comes and picks them up before playgroup, then it won't be happening. I can't wait until I'm working in the city again, that would make exchanging keys much easier.

I won't be seeing you guys next week either, because I work the 7th. But I'll be around the Monday after that--is it the 14th?

Alison
#324 of 2068 Old 02-27-2005, 02:17 PM

Ok, Alison - I won't call about the key, although if you ever get people walking in off the street and want to have someone there, I don't mind being there alone - Sophie seemed to enjoy the toy selection last time. Otherwise, I'll look forward to next week if anyone else is up for it. (I'll leave my offer to pick up the key out there for next time.) Although I didn't venture to the kitchen when I was there, I could certainly open up the nursery and wander around to find the kitchen.

Christian - I have not met you but wish you and your family well.

Cassie
#325 of 2068 Old 02-27-2005, 08:43 PM

Cassie, if you want to pick the key up, I can give you my address. I think Krista was going to go tomorrow. We do sometimes get people walking in. If anyone wants to call me tomorrow, I will leave the key in the mailbox, just in case, I'm only about 5 or 10 minute walk from church. If anyone needs keys, call me tomorrow at work at 826-3333, and I'll tell you how to find them!

Alison
#326 of 2068 Old 02-27-2005, 10:32 PM

Hi there - I would really like to help out with the keys for playgroup, although we have such a lack of routine at the moment I just can't guarantee being there. Little Emma's feeding times/naps are so unpredictable and Thomas is up so early that by 11 o'clock we are almost thinking of lunchtime. If things should work out tomorrow morning I shall give you a call Alison and get the key. Things should settle down soon so we can make the playgroup more regularly.

Christian - we are thinking of you and your family and please let us know if we can do anything to help.......

See you soon, Alice, Thomas & Emma
#327 of 2068 Old 03-01-2005, 02:47 PM

Hi folks. Can somebody please get in touch with me about the keys for next week? I don't want to be responsible for not having playgroup two weeks in a row! I can drop them off for someone, or you can pick them up. Just give me a call.

Christian, hope you're holding up okay.

Alison
#328 of 2068 Old 03-03-2005, 03:28 PM

Hi Alison,

I will give you a call to arrange to pick up the keys. It will be no problem for me to pick them up sometime between now (Thurs Aft) and Sunday and to open and close the playgroup on Mon.

Cassie
#329 of 2068 Old 03-03-2005, 04:51 PM

Thank you Cassie! I'm not working Saturday or Sunday. I can also drop it off to you if you like.

Alison
#330 of 2068 Old 03-05-2005, 12:16 PM

Okay folks, there is a playgroup on Monday, Cassie is going to take the keys and open and close for us. Yay Cassie. Please everyone show up to give her a hand, cause she's never been down to the kitchen and all of our stuff is hidden away in the cupboard in the far back corner by the fridge!

Alison

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page