Halifax Playgroup - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 2068 Old 04-03-2005, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
xian,

I loved reading your last post, Best Job in the World

Thanks for sharing, it gave me a good laugh--I really needed one!
#362 of 2068 Old 04-04-2005, 03:37 PM

PARTY PARTY

You are all invited to a party
to celebrate LeighAnne and her growing baby!!!!

Date: Saturday, April 30th

Time: 10:00 am

Place: #1 5725 Inglis Street

RSVP: jkvothschmidt@yahoo.ca
or 431-9434

I hope to see you all there!!!!
(Partners are welcome)
#363 of 2068 Old 04-04-2005, 05:30 PM

It was a nice time today at playgroup; Cass opened up with Eli and Sopie, Callum and I, then LieghAnne and Kieran, then Kritstyn, Sonnika and Azzura, and finally Krista and Brigitte. The girls actually outnumbered the boys! I can't wait until it's properly warm, and we can go to the playground! Only a few more months now... enough with the cold already...
#364 of 2068 Old 04-05-2005, 07:11 PM

Hi Krista V,
Pm'd you
Leigh Anne
#365 of 2068 Old 04-05-2005, 08:56 PM

Wow! I feel so incredibly fortunate to have met such kind-hearted mamas. I cannot believe you are throwing me a baby shower, Krista! Thank you, thank you.
#366 of 2068 Old 04-06-2005, 11:04 AM

LeighAnne, We are excited to celebrate with you!!!!
#367 of 2068 Old 04-08-2005, 11:01 PM

A couple of thoughts:

Alison: I gave Andrew's sippy cup and diaper cover to Xian a few weeks ago. Hopefully those items will find their way home soon!

Cassie: How is the snappi working out? I was going to order some motherease covers for the new baby. If you are still thinking of ordering from them we could split the cost of their flat rate shipping.

Where can I find bravado nursing bras in Halifax? I'm carrying this baby up high and need something with a bigger band.

Have a great week-end everyone,
Leigh anne
#368 of 2068 Old 04-09-2005, 07:13 AM

I am feeling rather chuffed with myself (about something that I never thought I'd be chuffed about. o, how far they fall...) Superstore has packs of three colourful scrubbers on for 1.49, so I bought a pack and tossed them in the bath with the boy last night. the bath is spotless!!!!!!!!!

allison, your nappy cover and cup await your arrival on sunday, in a place of honour (out of Callum's reach!).

: I'm so sorry I forgot to say happy birthday to your boy! two's big. I hope the boy had a great one, Allison.
#369 of 2068 Old 04-09-2005, 08:46 AM

Leigh Anne, I have only found the Bravado locally at Royal Diaperer in Bedford. I ordered all mine online from sierrablue.ca for a better price, free shipping, and a free pair of bravado breast pads as well. And they arrived quite quickly too. In fact, if you spend $100 (easily done, three bras!), then they even upgrade to expresspost for free. I strongly recommend you buy from them instead of Royal Diaperer! In fact, in checking sierrablue.ca I've just discovered that Bravado now make a non-nursing bra. Hooray, exactly what I've been waiting for! I was dreading the thought of going back to scratchy underwires with silly lace and stuff! I'm off to order one to see how they are!

Christian, I had forgotten about Sunday! Oops! Thanks for reminding me about it.

Alison
#370 of 2068 Old 04-11-2005, 09:43 AM

Hi all,

I just bought some "greens+ tm Kids" (berrylicious flavour). Eli is not into it. Anyone want it? I also have an almost full bottle of Flora origanic flaxseed oil up for grabs? And LeighAnne, would you be interested in a once used small aristocrat diaper cover?

I have been spring cleaning. It is appauling how much stuff I have and do not use. I brought 7 sets of sheet and have more in BC... why? I will try to have a "porch sale" in summer to get rid of all the pregnancy/ baby things. LeighAnne if you need anything else let me know before you buy it... I might have it... especially baby girl clothes.

See you all next weeek... Eli is recovering from a 4 day fever today.
#371 of 2068 Old 04-11-2005, 09:52 AM

leighAnne, just remembered also up for grabs are a lightly used brvado bra - medium size- and kushies cotton breast pads (12).
#372 of 2068 Old 04-11-2005, 01:49 PM

Hi guys. Cassie, sorry I couldn't stick around to help out at the end of playgroup. Andrew just wasn't himself today! He asked to nurse about 4 times while we were there, and he's normally about a 4-time-a-day baby, not 4-times-a-playgroup!

Krista V., I'm terribly jealous of your sheet situation! We have one set! My goal for life is 100% cotton sheets, in at least 5 different colours! That said, we've been trying to get rid of stuff as well. Have you checked out freecycle? Anything that you can't be bothered selling, but don't want to put in the garbage, you post it, and someone out there will be willing to take it. It's amazing how many people want broken appliances or garbage bags full of handbags (just two examples!).

It snowed on my walk home! After I wore my shorts yesterday!

Alison
#373 of 2068 Old 04-11-2005, 01:51 PM

Oh, I forgot:

"This month we will be holding a Nursing Toddler meeting on Sunday, April
17 from 2:30 to 4:00pm"

Just got this in an e-mail from my friend Liz. If anyone is interested, e-mail me and I will forward her e-mail to you with directions etc. It's over in Dartmouth. I can give someone a ride if they need one, as long as they can provide their own carseat (yup, this is a toddlers welcome event!).

Alison
#374 of 2068 Old 04-11-2005, 04:02 PM

just remembered - twins sale on April 30th at the arena by needham pool (up by us). we could meet three and then go on to leighanne's shower!
#375 of 2068 Old 04-11-2005, 08:30 PM

Alison, I could have passed some sheets to you - I just gave 3 sets of cotton ones to salvation Army today. My mom has a sheet fetish and she buys me sheets all the time.... I will give them to you next time. :LOL

Christian, what is twins sale?
#376 of 2068 Old 04-11-2005, 09:16 PM

the multiple births association has a sale twice yearly of clothes etc. it's supposed to be pretty good. i've missed it twice so far, so m hoping to get to it this year!
#377 of 2068 Old 04-11-2005, 11:25 PM

We were sorry to miss playgroup today. I had a prenatal appt so Neil took Kieran the the Museum of Natural History instead.

Krista V: Sorry that Eli has been sick! I would love to buy the small aristocrat and the bravado bra from you! Kieran was not a fan of the greens+ stuff either.

The only other item I'm looking for right now is maternity t-shirts in size small or medium. Kieran was born in the winter so I only have long-sleeved ones. Hopefully the weather will improve again so I will actually need t-shirts! More snow!?!

Alison: Thanks so much for that tip about bravado stuff and www.sierrablue.ca.
It would be great to go to that toddler meeting. Kieran is on the edge of weaning completely and the new baby's arrival is just a couple of months away. Do you still have a spot in your vehicle? It will mean no nap for Kieran that day (shudder) but I have questions...

I have also heard the "POMBA" sale (parents of multiple births assoc.) is not to be missed.
#378 of 2068 Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 AM

Leigh Anne, I have lots of maternity t-shirts in small or medium. I will try to get them to you. How are evenings for you? Andrew and I could zip out after work one evening? If I'm ready in time today, I might give you a calll to run them out before going to work at 1. I can also drive you over to Liz's no problem for Sunday. Kieran has his own car seat, right?

What time is the POMBA sale? Leigh Anne's shower is at 10:00. I'm up and about nice and early, so if you want to go to the sale before the shower Christian, I'm up for it!

Alison

ETA: Why don't I just give you the t-shirts on Sunday?
#379 of 2068 Old 04-12-2005, 09:54 AM

LeighAnne,

You can have the cover and bra! I am happy to find a home for them! I also have a few gap maternity tops you could borrow and a bathingsuit if you plan on going swimming at all. I still am wearing a few maternity things!!??!!! I broke down this weekend and bought a few new summer clothes - I finally am convinced that I will not make it into my regular clothes this year I am 10 pounds and a lot of workouts away!

Oh everyone... Planning on some vaccinations at the end of the week any tips on preparing the kids (ie homeopathic?). I am giving vit C and also heard of Vit A.... any other tips welcome.

Can you believe the snow this morning!?!
#380 of 2068 Old 04-12-2005, 12:24 PM

hi everyone

we did not make it out yesterday due to an overly busy weekend- we needed a day to just relax at home. plus, sonika is going through a rough patch of teething, very grumpy and sensitive and feverish right now.. but we'll be back next week...

krista, i'd love the greens+ and flax oil if it's still up for grabs.. judging by how azzurra drinks spirulina with such enthusiasm! also, if there are any particular girl items that you need for brigitte this summer let me know, we have tons of cute sundresses and stuff...

alison, i will email you re: the LLL meeting... thanks.
#381 of 2068 Old 04-12-2005, 01:45 PM

Kristyn,

The supplements are yours! I would love to borrow a few things for summer. Brigitte has sleeper, little pants and a few tops for summer but I just noticed that there weren't too many light things so some dresses and tops would be great! It is hard to imagine it ever being warm enough to wear summer clothes here!

LeighAnne,

I just went through all my pregnancy things and here is what I have got set aside for you - tell me what you want, or do not want, from the list:

6 summer tops (1 tank top, 3 t-shirts, 1 button up shirt, 1 white tight v-neck top I ordered from babystyle which cindy crawford said was her favorite to pregnancy top - my husband liked it, it is pretty sexy!)

2 bras (1 medium bravado, 1 other great medium nursing bra I wore a lot but has life in it still)

1 pair of cute old navy maternity capris (size 4-6)

1 little french maternity dress which I wore most of my pregnancy with Eli and wish I still could wear

The rest of the summer things I am still wearing!

I also have:

*"Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year"

*Giaim Living Arts Pre-natal, Post-natal yoga, Pregnancy Massage, and Infant massage videos (if you still own a vcr, it is all we have)

*Winsor Pilates Pregnancy Book

All for now
#382 of 2068 Old 04-13-2005, 07:25 PM

Wow Krista V, you have some great stuff! Here is what I would love to buy from you:

The three t-shirts (as long as they are not yellow or yellowy-green - I look ill in those colours), and the sexy tank top if it doesn't require too much bosom to look good. Even pregnant I'm barely a b-cup. Does the button-up shirt require ironing?

The medium bravado bra

About the capris....size 4-6 sounds awfully small for me. I usually wear size 8 bottoms. I'm kind of built like J.Lo!

I would love to try on that French maternity dress. Oh la la

I already have both of those books and a prenatal yoga video. Thanks though.
--------------------

Hey Alison,
Thanks so much for the offer of the t-shirts. Yes, it would work out perfectly to pick them up on Sunday. Kieran does have his own (very swanky) carseat.

Thank you so much everyone for your many kindnesses.
#383 of 2068 Old 04-14-2005, 09:39 AM

Okay LeighAnne, I will bring the clothes on monday to playgroup for you to try out!

Have a great weekend.
#384 of 2068 Old 04-14-2005, 10:17 AM

Leigh Anne, if Krista's pants are US sized, they'd be a 6-8 Canadian, so they might just fit you! I'll bring my t-shirts on Sunday--I think I have white red and orange or something like that. Can't even remember now! I'll give you a call about pick up time etc. The meeting is at Liz's house over in Dartmouth.

Alison
#385 of 2068 Old 04-14-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista Voth
I broke down this weekend and bought a few new summer clothes - I finally am convinced that I will not make it into my regular clothes this year I am 10 pounds and a lot of workouts away!
Just reread this! Krista, I STILL don't fit into what I insist on thinking of as my "regular" clothes--that is, the stuff I was wearing before I got pg with Andrew. I STILL have 5 pounds of baby weight on me, and about 15 lbs that I had before I got pg that I probably shouldn't have had! So, I will not be feeling sorry for you, because I think you look great!

Sorry about this morning. Brigitte was a doll while you were out of the room! She's such a sweetie!

Alison
#386 of 2068 Old 04-15-2005, 09:30 AM

Alison,

I think Eli has made it clear he does not like Tales for Tots! I was so annoyed yesterday because I just cannot figure out why he does not like it!?! I wonder how he will do at pre-school circle in fall! I know what his teachers are up against. I find it hard to accept that it will be my child that is the one refusing to come to the circle. I am finding it hard in general to accept some of Eli's traits. You really do not create your child, do you! When Eli was young I never thought I would struggle with this. Does anyone else feel like this? I am trying to see the things that I do appreciate (sometimes I just it is hard to see when I am so annoyed with him) and accept the things I don't. I thought it would be easier to teach him how to behave in the world... who was I kiding? O Brigitte just woke up!
#387 of 2068 Old 04-15-2005, 05:52 PM

Krista, I think that we must all feel this way sometimes! It has been pointed out to me more than once that the qualities that annoy us most in our children are often the things that we admire in adults. Andrew is so quick to lose his temper when things don't go his way, and so determined to do what it is that he wants, and it drives me nuts! But, as he grows and learns to behave, this will become determination and persistence, both qualities that will serve him well and that others will admire! I just have to keep reminding myself of this.

I know my struggle is often with being the kind of parent I want to be. I had a mental picture of myself as being patient and consistent, and I am really struggling to be patient, consistent and staying calm with Andrew. but you know, our parents must have had these struggles and battles too, and we all turned out okay. You're right, your child has his or her own personality, which maybe we can influence, but we have to work with what we have, and that isn't something that we created in a vacuum, that's for sure!

I'll see everyone at playgroup on Monday?

Alison
#388 of 2068 Old 04-15-2005, 07:21 PM

krista and alison, i totally hear what you guys are saying re: behaviors.. it is definitely hard to always be the parent you'd hoped you'd be..

alison, i won't be able to come to thr LLL meet this weekend, we have a bbq to go to at a friends place..but please keep me posted about future meets..

gotta run, sonikas teeth are making her grumpy..
#389 of 2068 Old 04-16-2005, 07:15 PM

Children
From The Prophet by Khalil Gibran

And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, "Speak to us of Children."

And he said:

Your children are not your children.

They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.

They come through you but not from you,

And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts.

For they have their own thoughts.

You may house their bodies but not their souls,

For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.

For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.

Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;

For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.
#390 of 2068 Old 04-16-2005, 09:17 PM

Hi Krista I haven't seen you three in ages! I bet Brigitte has doubled in size since I saw her last!

I think we all struggle with the same issues in one way or another. For me, I find that I have to make myself come at the situation in a different way. For example, if we were at the park and it was time to go Reece would cry and make it very difficult to get him into the car. Now, I let him know that in a few minutes we will be leaving. Then when it is time to leave, I ask him to find one special rock (branch, leaf etc. ) from the park to take with us to show daddy etc. He is always happy to go then.

I guess I am a bit of the opposite because everyone is always comparing Reece's traits to mine. Stubborness in particular I think :LOL But like everyone says, some of the most frustrating traits that they display now, may be the same traits that are most beneficial to them as they grow within our society.

I also find that if the same behaviour is bothering me I need to step back and think about a new way to handle it. For Reece humor and redirection or distraction work wonders. It also makes me feel better too

That being said, we had company over today for supper. My stubborn little man ran around most of the day in his underwear! I used humor to finally get the pants on, and 15 minutes later they were back off. What does my child have against pants?????????

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page