Halifax Playgroup - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2005, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When will your brick be in Alice? We'll look for it!

Alison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2005, 11:10 AM

Happy Mother's Day, everyone!

We will miss you Alice! I hope your move goes smoothly.

Hopefully Andrew is feeling better Alison. Here is some info for future reference about dehydration:

When to call a health professional for dehydration:
-sunken eyes, no tears, dry mouth and tongue
-little or no urine for 8 hours
-skin that doesn't bounce back when pinched
-rapid breathing and heartbeat
-sleepiness, lethargy, listnessless, or extreme irritability
-if severe vomiting (vomiting most of all clear fluids and feedings) continues for more than 8 hours in a child 1 to 3 years of age
-if occasional vomiting occurs without other symptoms and the child is able to keep fluids down between vomiting episodes, call if this continues longer than a week.

We learned this stuff after Kieran was vomiting for a week in January. It's scary when your little one isn't keeping anything down isn't it.

I need mailing addresses for: Krista V, Alison, Krista Z, Cassie, Christian. I know I could just give you your cards in person, but it's fun to get mail that isn't a bill. Thanks!

Leigh Anne
PS - I had my last US on Tuesday. The baby's head is sitting as low as it can go, right on my cervix. This doesn't usually occur until two to four weeks before delivery. I'm only 32 weeks along. Please keep your fingers crossed and I'll keep my legs crossed.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:25 AM

Well, we thought Andrew was better--kept everything down yesterday, but he just puked up his breakfast. I think maybe too much dairy for breakfast. He's back on dry toast for the rest of the day! Not that he minds, he likes dry toast!

Leigh Anne, keep your legs crossed. Although a 38 week baby probably wouldn't be too bad, a 32 week baby would be a wee bit early! How early was Kieran?

Alison
Old 05-08-2005, 12:13 PM

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

hopefully i'll make it out tomorrow..
see you then...
Old 05-09-2005, 04:58 AM

Been a while, guys. Just thought I'd drop by with a letter to see how everyone's doing.

As you may be able to see from the posting time, I have a night time job. It's a 12 AM - 9 AM shift doing some IT help desk stuff. Money's OK and I have some potential for education grants and, of course, the lovely health plan, but I don't get to see Doug nearly as much as I'd like. Has anyone out here done an overnight shift and how did you cope with kidlings?

I s'pose it doesn't help when you're separated from your spouse and, for the most part, won't have him to help around the house. My mom's on vacation right now and he doesn't start him new job till after Victoria Day so I have him in the house at night to look after D. Rather awkward.

But anyway, enough blathering. Anyone know how to cope with an overnight shift?

Oh, and how was the baby fair? My chiropractor was there (Shelly Quinlan) and she's due in August. She's looking at a home birth as well which is really great to hear. Must get the word out about midwifery.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:16 AM

o yes, we are disease ridden . snot - we seem to have cornered the world market! luckily, not as dramatic as andrew's :Puke so, no playgroup for us today. sad. we should be around next week though. i hope everyone has a great time! :

cheers

c.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:55 PM

For all those men who say,
"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free." Here's an update for you.....
Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why?
Because women realize its not worth buying an entire Pig,.... Just to get a little sausage.

:LOL
Old 05-09-2005, 06:43 PM

THanks for the addresses....I still need Krista V, Krista Z, and Cassie.

Xian, your quote is hilarious :LOL Sorry to hear you guys are sick. Neil and Kieran are coming down with colds too.

Alison, how is Andrew doing? I hope he isn't still throwing up. Poor little guy. I went into spontaneous labour with Kieran at 36 weeks, 5 days. Because he was earlier than 37 weeks (which is considered "term") he had to stay in SCN for a week even though he was a big guy for his age at 6lbs 5oz! It was horrible. So far so good...no contractions or anything like that... I just keep hoping to hold onto this one for another 4 1/2 weeks. The upside is, I'm not supposed to do anything extra around the house until the baby comes. No vacuumming, carrying groceries, cleaning the bathtub...woo hoo!

Leigh Anne
Old 05-09-2005, 09:14 PM

Its a US website, but its still interesting (too bad no-one actually "pays" us!!!)

The actual article is longer, below is part of it:

http://www.salary.com/careers/layout...53_Par358.html

What mothers are really worth
Stay-at-home mothers wear many hats. They're the family CEO, the day care provider, accountant, chauffeur, counselor, chef, nurse, laundress, entertainer, personal stylist, and educator. Based on a 90-hour work week, Salary.com has estimated that a fair wage for the typical stay-at-home mom would be well over $90,000 for executing all of her daily tasks. Factor in overtime, and the appropriate salary takes a leap of around $25,000.

"Mothers are responsible for the mental and physical well being of the family - putting a price on that isn't easy," said Lena Bottos, compensation market analyst for Salary.com. "But we looked at it as what you would have to pay other people to do the same work if the mom weren't there."

Even if these mothers were getting paid what they'd be worth on the market, Bottos added that they still wouldn't be adequately compensated. "When you take into account that it represents a 90-hour workweek, and doesn't even begin to factor in that they are on call 24 hours a day, it's not so large. Plus, stay-at-home moms get no benefits in terms of pension or 401(k)."

Mom jobs

Job title............................Annual salary
Child Day Care Worker.........$20,259
Teacher............................$44,824
Taxi Driver.........................$27,346
Facilities Manager...............$73,239
Short-order Cook................$27,477
Laundry Attendant..............$17,917
Janitor..............................$22,440
Counselor..........................$27,638
CEO.................................$545,268
Administrative Assistant III...$37,143
Accounting Clerk III.............$34,842
Licensed Practical Nurse.......$38,111
Plumber I...........................$33,155
Automotive Mechanic I.........$30,725
Cake Decorator...................$21,340

Jobs listed in order from largest to smallest component of a stay-at-home mom's job. All salaries are national averages. Source: Salary.com, 2004.

The estimate composite salary calculated by Salary.com's team of compensation experts for a stay-at-home mom is based on a 90-hour work week, consisting of six 14-hour days and one 6-hour day. Job titles, responsibilites, and qualifications were considered and weighed on a scale of importance, frequency, and average time spent on tasks per day. Hourly rates of pay corresponding to the 15 job titles in the above table were applied to the 90-hour model and multiplied by 52 weeks a year to determine an annual salary. It assumes the mother has two children of school age.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:48 AM

Oink Oink!

What's a little sausage amongst friends?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:28 AM

Well, I think Andrew has finally stopped puking, last puke so far was on Sunday. Thank goodness! He's off to daycare now, and I'm relaxing in front of the computer, all by myself in the house, at least until I have to go to work. It's so peaceful! I might even make myself a cup of tea!

On the downside, Jeff hates his work so much right now that's he's making Andrew and I both miserable! I think we need another vacation, and then he needs to find a new job.

Argh.

Alison
Old 05-11-2005, 01:03 AM

Hello everyone! I just thought that I would pop in and introduce myself - it looks like DH, DS and I will be moving to Halifax this summer. DH just accepted a job offer with Dalhousie and I'm really looking forward to living in Halifax. I've always wanted to live near the ocean, so this is really a dream come true for us.

Any advice on where to live in Halifax proper? (We need to be near the university) Ooooh - I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2005, 09:37 AM

Helloooo bluenail! we look forward to seeing you. halifax itself is really pretty small, so anywhere on the peninsula is accessible. the bus system on the peninsula is good, and cycling is pretty easy - the drivers are reasonable (most of the itme) and usually show a lot more care if you have a trailer. the closer you get to the university (in the south end) the prices and rents get pretty high, although it is possbile to get good rents if you want a flat. the north end used to be condsidered pretty dodgy, but we live here now, and are happy with our reasonably priced renter house in a quiet residential neighbourhood. off the peninsula the prices go down, but the bus service gets pretty thin. great during rush hour, but outside of that, pretty laughable really. so, if you want to live off the peninsula, a car really is needed. some say you can cycle here all year 'round, but, well, they must be mad! our house is about as far away as you can get from dal and be on the peninsula, and it's 45 minute brisk walk.

i'm sure others will have more advice, from those living in the south end especially, but i thought i'd add my two cents worth. you are definitely arriving at the best time of year - summer is usually very nice here.

the boy bekons....

c.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:03 AM

Hi Bluenail! You'll love Halifax, I know I do. I second pretty much everything Christian said though. The South End is where the universitys are, and it's a wonderful part of town to live, but you've got to be loaded to buy here (maybe you guys are though ). We rent in the South End, and we get a break cause we rent from my in-laws. Otherwise, we'd be in Dartmouth or definitely off the peninsula. I used to live in the West end, liked it there, and the North end is definitely improved over what it used to be, although there are still areas I wouldn't live in. Christian is in the deep North end, and it's really nice up there, and more affordable.

You must come to playgroup when you arrive. How old is your DS? And what will your DH be doing at Dal? I worked at Dal in the library for a few years, and spent more than a few years there as a student! We live basically on campus right now, because my in-laws both used to work on campus, which is why they bought the house where they did!

Alison
Old 05-11-2005, 12:17 PM

Hi everyone - I have just started checking out these forums and I was so excited to find a group in Halifax - dh, dd, and ds and I are moving back in June and I am so sad to leave my dearest friend here in Ottawa who shares so many of my parenting philosophies! I was planning on going to a LLL meeting (and probably still will) but if you guys have a playgroup going it sounds like right up our alley!! I have to go back to work in October but until then we will be free as the birds...

We are moving into a house on Vernon St between Jubilee and Quinpool - anyone live near there?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:32 PM

I'm not too far away, at South and Robie. And you're not too far from playgroup, so you should definitely stop in! All these new people dropping by, it must be summer!

There is a local LLL group, more than one actually, and I recently went to a new toddler LLL group that is just starting up.

Alison
Old 05-11-2005, 12:58 PM

Thanks Alison! Looking forward to meeting some new people. We will be in town likely mid-June, and I'll post again closer to that time to find out when/where you meet!
Old 05-11-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
You must come to playgroup when you arrive. How old is your DS? And what will your DH be doing at Dal? I worked at Dal in the library for a few years, and spent more than a few years there as a student! We live basically on campus right now, because my in-laws both used to work on campus, which is why they bought the house where they did!
Alison
Oh wow - just judging from the MLS listings, you weren't kidding about pricey... Well, we're certainly not loaded, but I think that we'll *just* be able to afford the low end of the houses in the south end...wish us luck in our house hunt.

DH will be working as a professor in the business school at Dal - he's really excited about it, especially as he's looking forward to moving into the brand new building there! Myself, I'm looking forward to meeting you all at playgroup - DS will be turning 3 at the end of July, and he's a whole lot of fun. Now I just have to figure out how to register a business in NS.

Oh yes, hi to you too, Lettuce! Hope to meet you at playgroup in Halifax...the ocean will be a nice change from the hills of the Gatineaus, eh?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:10 AM

Hello bluenail, yes, the ocean beckons! Halifax is my home, I grew up in Dartmouth and went to Dal, and the first time I ever lived anywhere else was when we moved to Ottawa. I am sad to leave Ottawa, but happy to be coming home...not sure how to feel about it most of the time! But it makes it better knowing there are other moms out there interested in meeting each other. Good luck with house hunting...have you been to Halifax before?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:28 AM

Welcome Lettuce and Bluenail!!

We live in the SouthEnd and find it very convenient. We love walking around Point Pleasant Park and walking to playgroup, the library, and shops. My husband has a five minute bike ride to King's. The other area that we like a lot and is very close to Dal is the Quinnpool area. It has a lot of parks, schools, and all kinds of shops -a nice quiet family area with everything you need near by.

Look forward to meeting you in summer!

Krista
Old 05-13-2005, 03:20 PM

Sounds like we'll be living nearby...so glad! Thanks for the warm welcome. I too like the Quinpool area. One of the things I'm looking forward to most about living there is not having to use the car as much - we can walk to the grocery store etc not 5 minutes away! Here in Ottawa everything is 20 minutes away by car, and there it's 20 minutes walking. And Perks is right on the corner! And Freeman's pizza, yummmm, wow, I'm starting to get excited now. Anyway, don't mind me, I'm just working through some moving grief!
Old 05-16-2005, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettuce
Good luck with house hunting...have you been to Halifax before?
Just once and it was a real quickie of a visit. One of my friends got married in Peggy's Cove, so DH and I stayed in Halifax for a day and saw the sights. We stayed in the dorm at Dalhousie, so we got a fairly good idea of how easy it is to get around Halifax on foot. (And I gotta say that I fell in love with the Dal campus - so pretty! *Almost* makes me want to go back to school. Almost.) :LOL

House hunting is going slooooowly. There's not a lot available in either the Quinpool or South end neighborhoods, unfortunately. Anyone know a good realtor?
Old 05-16-2005, 09:19 AM

i'll ask my mum today, she used to be an estate agent.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:19 PM

Hey guys, that was fun yesterday, it was nice to have a slightly bigger crowd!

Alison
Old 05-17-2005, 10:32 PM

does anyone know anyone who can look after a sprog? a friend of a friend of my mum's hasn't found a day care place yet, and she has to go back to work at the end of june. any ideas???
Old 05-17-2005, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

nak

Hi xian, what's a sprog?

Hello everyone, thanks for the kind words . Alison, I am really sorry i have taken so long to spread the word about the united way money. it is really hard for me to type because i am usually nursing while on the computer. It is the only time I get to do it. But....there is 1000$ set aside for our playgroup by the united way. Because I am no longer with the playgroup, I don't think I am allowed to deal with the money. Someone has to call Lisa jenson at the united way and ask her about how to access the money. Someone like Xian or Alison or anyone who is ther fairly regularly. They will send you an application and you will have to apply for the money again, but the money is earmarked for our playgroup. (Sorry I don't have the number offhand but it is in the Aliant phone book. That way, outings and snacks and stuff could be paid for!

Hey, I am looking forward to attending the playgroup again! Winter out in the country with a toddler and a newborn is bound to drive me . Oh, and don't forget my insane dog! That's another story altogether .
Seriously, I am really excited about my growing family, but trying to remain realistic. I am gonna need to get out of the house!

Until I can see all you beautiful people in person I will lurk and occasionally post on this thread. Yay!

Love,

Natalie
Old 05-18-2005, 10:28 AM

Nat, can you come on Monday? It's a long weekend, but I think we decided to have playgroup anyway!

Alison

PS Liam is a sprog. Andrew is a sprog. The little one in your belly is a sprog too!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:22 PM

Hey everybody, what's the playgroup scoop? Due to doctor's appt's, midwife appt's, and Kieran's nasty cold, we haven't been in awhile. I would love to make it this Monday.

Welcome Bluenail and Lettuce! We moved to Halifax about a year ago and have found people here extremely kind and friendly. We tried hard to buy a house in Quinpool or the South end, but we just couldn't quite afford it. Dh only had 5 days to find and buy a house! We ended up in Clayton Park. It's nice....perhaps a bit too suburban....and a bit too far away from downtown, especially since we don't have a car...but no complaints really.

Leigh Anne
Old 05-20-2005, 10:07 AM

I think that we're on for Monday. At least, Christian and I were planning on going. I'll check with Cassie this morning, I think she and Sophie should be in for Babies at 10:30! Leigh Anne, are you alone right now or is Neil around? If you want a ride in (Does being careful and taking it easy mean not riding the bus?) maybe we could swing out and pick you up.

I like long weekend playgroups, we get more dads there, which is always nice!

Alison
Old 05-20-2005, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure I can come, but if I do I might bring my friend Heather. How's that for non-committal ? :LOL

User Tag List