Halifax Playgroup - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 2068 Old 05-31-2005, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, you're not bad....you're being proactive in getting your child the best health care possible! Good for you.

And...now there will be at least 3 of us who have chosen alternative paths to parent-hood in his practice. Maybe he'll take notice!
#482 of 2068 Old 06-01-2005, 10:01 PM

Does anyone know of a good Montessori school in Halifax? It's a consideration for me when we go house-hunting. DH would prefer Catholic school, so it's up to me to do the research...
#483 of 2068 Old 06-01-2005, 10:07 PM

Good question....I'm curious too. Also about Waldorf programs if anyone knows of one?

:
#484 of 2068 Old 06-01-2005, 11:52 PM

:

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#485 of 2068 Old 06-02-2005, 08:31 AM

Can't help you guys out there, Andrew is going to be a public school kid for financial reasons! That is, we need to save the money so he can go to university! There isn't a Catholic school board here any more, but there is a Catholic private school called Sacred Heart that is right on Spring Garden Road, close to downtown.

I know that there is a Waldorf school on the South Shore, way from the city, I'm not aware of any others.
#486 of 2068 Old 06-02-2005, 09:45 AM

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! It's sunny at loooonnngggg last
Did I mention we moved from San Diego...so you can imagine the Vitamin D deprivation I've been going through.

We're going to try out one of those parks suggested a few days ago

Enjoy your BEAUTIFUL day everyone : Robyn
#487 of 2068 Old 06-02-2005, 10:09 AM

Well, I think there's only one Montessori in Halifax...

http://www.finditinhalifax.com/app/d...27s+House.html

And thank you to Alison for the info about NS not having a Catholic School board...it'll give me some leverage with DH.
#488 of 2068 Old 06-02-2005, 10:35 AM

Hey I clicked on that link for the school...it's got a BC address with a Halifax area code? Or am I seeing things (entirely possible)?

: R
#489 of 2068 Old 06-02-2005, 03:58 PM

I forgot about the costs associated with Montessori/Waldorf. We're actually a long way off from looking into schools anyway, but at least I can file the information away....way, way at the bak of my mind! LOL! I knew there was a reason we were researching so heavily into homeschooling! Any body do this, or know anyone in the area homeschooling? Unless my husband gets a *big* payraise, it will be homeschool or public for us!

Is anyone going to be at the meet and greet library thingy tomorrow? Just wondering...we are thinking about it.

TTYS!

#490 of 2068 Old 06-02-2005, 04:00 PM

BTW, hi bluenail! When are you moving to Halifax? I'll be emailing you this afternoon. I'm so excited to find so many like-minded mommy's right in town!

#491 of 2068 Old 06-02-2005, 04:30 PM

Tamara, I will be at the library tomorrow, since I'm hosting the darn thing! Do introduce yourself if you come! Are you in Dartmouth? There is quite a homeschooling community in Dartmouth, they often have meetings and such at the Alderney Gate library. I have a friend in Dartmouth who is homeschooling, she has a 8 (9?) year old and a three year old. I think she's on the forums too, actually.

Alison
#492 of 2068 Old 06-02-2005, 04:44 PM

We'll be at the library too...see you there
#493 of 2068 Old 06-03-2005, 04:52 AM

Sorry, can't make it to the library today...I should be sleeping by then. I've only had about 8 hours in the last 2 days and I don't even have the excuse of babyness anymore! I would like to meet everyone but it'll have to be at a later date.

On the bright side, I think I might be moving to evening work in about a month (4 PM - 1 AM) so I'll be spending much much more time with DS and my mom will only have to feed him supper and put him to bed for me. I'll get up with him, get him to the babysitter's 3 times a week and spend the other 2 days with him. AND I will be starting back to school, on my employer's bill, in the fall.

Things are looking up!
#494 of 2068 Old 06-05-2005, 01:14 PM

Robyn and Tamara, it was nice to meet you guys! I hope that you do make it on Monday. Also, I think we might have two other new faces from the library programme on Friday as well!

Alison
#495 of 2068 Old 06-05-2005, 10:33 PM

Thanks so much, spacecdt, for the Dr. referral. We had our appointment on Friday and we were very happy!

Unfortunately I don't think Rayne & I will make playgroup tomorrow. I have to stay home and wait for a package...but, if it comes early we will try to make it! It was great to meet a few of you this week, though, at the library. We got in some desperately needed adult talk! LOL!

#496 of 2068 Old 06-06-2005, 02:43 PM

How nice to get out to the park with playgroup today. And how nice to be a decent sized group! Although I was a little cold, none of the kids seemed to mind. Of course, that's how it goes--if I'm cold, then I put a sweater on Andrew, but forget to bring one for myself!

Anyway, hooray for the good weather!

Alison
#497 of 2068 Old 06-06-2005, 04:22 PM

I wish we had been able to make it. The tile guy was supposed to be here around noon. It is now 4:30 and he is on his way. We only have one bathroom in the house, and ours had to be removed in order to tile, so needless to say it has been a long day :LOL

Hopefully we will get to playgroup next week
#498 of 2068 Old 06-06-2005, 05:09 PM

It was a good group today indeed. alison and andrew, cassie and sophie, craig and anna, lesley and grace, charlene and rachael (13 days old!), esther and oscar, kerrie and vienna (who we haven't seen since last spring!), krista, eli and brigitte, and callum and me. it was a bit on the frigid side in the shade, but a good time. great to see new faces, and we hope to see more. we had some drop-bys of people who may make it a regular thing. woohoo!
#499 of 2068 Old 06-06-2005, 10:20 PM

Hello my name is Amber I have a 11 1/2 week old boy Leland....I am moving to Elmsdale in 2 weeks and would like some info on your playgroup......Alison has gave me the link to this thread and I am very interested in meeting some of you......Is anyone traveling from Elmsdale or Enfield? I would be interested in traveling together........Thanks Amber
#500 of 2068 Old 06-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Banned

Thank you so much everyone for making us feel so welcome today! We really enjoyed the nice day at the park (until naptime hit!) and we are eager to meet again next week. See you all then!
#501 of 2068 Old 06-07-2005, 08:36 AM

Welcome to the forum, Amber and Lesley! Glad to have you here!
woohoo!
#502 of 2068 Old 06-07-2005, 02:30 PM

Hi Amber! You found us!

Alison
#503 of 2068 Old 06-07-2005, 07:52 PM

Hey mamas!

No, we haven't dropped off the planet...but we have been fighting a serious battle with SNOT at our house! Please tell me Mika will learn to blow his nose eventually? : We didn't think sharing his germs with everyone on Monday would be such a great idea.

I'm happy to report we survived our visit to Dr. O'Keefe with no guilt trips about vaccinations. Whew...what a relief! Thanks again for that referral Spacecdt

#504 of 2068 Old 06-07-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeaufoy
No, we haven't dropped off the planet...but we have been fighting a serious battle with SNOT at our house! Please tell me Mika will learn to blow his nose eventually? :
I don't know--when I tell Andrew to blow his nose, he still blows out his mouth! I know he can breath through his nose, after all he is still nursing, but it doesn't seem to be something he can do consciously!

That said, you should have come because we were outside the whole time (which we will probably do most sunny days now) so the germs wouldn't really have been a big deal!

Alison
#505 of 2068 Old 06-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Alison]I don't know--when I tell Andrew to blow his nose, he still blows out his mouth! I know he can breath through his nose, after all he is still nursing, but it doesn't seem to be something he can do consciously!

Children at this age are not able to "blow their nose" just yet. Nor are they able to sniff up the mucus, it's a development thing in the nasal cavity itself along with a cognitive development thing. I learned this my first winter working with toddlers...18 runny noses, ick! With most things yucky about childhood, it'll pass with time.
#506 of 2068 Old 06-08-2005, 12:21 AM

Callum does seem to have the nose blowing thing almost down. he can blow through his nose, and takes the hanky and gives a good snort. he actually seems to enjoy it! perhaps he's putting all his talking energy into learning how to blow his nose? although he has said cozy quite clearly, and tractor is pretty understandable, it's still a long way to go on the intelligible stakes. o well - he can blow his nose! :LOL
#507 of 2068 Old 06-09-2005, 11:35 AM

Hi everyone

I was just speaking to the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia concerning their baby/toddler art program. They have openings the last week of June that we could book a slot.

I guess they normally have a program for 16 months and under and then another one for the older toddlers. The woman who runs actually puts on the program is going to call me back this afternoon to discuss combining them for our group.

Could you please post to let me know if you are interested in going, the age of your child/children, and if there is a date during the last week of June that you are NOT able to attend?

The cost is $80 for 8 children and we were able to use the United Way funds for this last time. Hopefully we can do so again this year.

For those of you who did not attend last year, they set up centres all around the art room for the babies to play in. They had goop, pudding paint, popsicle paint, watercolour crayons etc. The kids had a blast!

Let me know as soon as you get a chance
Thanks
Krista
#508 of 2068 Old 06-09-2005, 11:53 AM

We'd love to come! Although, is 13 months too young to enjoy this sort of thing?

If not, count us in.....

: Robyn & Mika
#509 of 2068 Old 06-09-2005, 12:02 PM

No, I don't think 13 months is too young at all They run around in their diapers and just explore the materials. There is a sink there that some of the younger ones ended up using as a bathtub to get all the pudding paint etc. off.

They also want to know about allergies. My little guy has some and they will use soy milk in their pudding paint etc. to make sure everyone has a great experience So if your little one has sensitivities to anything, please let me know that too.
#510 of 2068 Old 06-09-2005, 01:45 PM

I have a picture of Xtian's DS from the last one of these, he wasn't even 1 yet, and he is COVERED in goop (I think it was cornstarch and water maybe?). He had a blast! 13 months is definitely not too young! I remember that they were really good about allergies and sensitivities.

Andrew and I would only be able to make it on a Monday, and even then, I work the next 20th and 27th, so we wouldn't be able to make even a Monday until July. Last time, Natalie scheduled it so that it was in our normal playgroup time slot, which worked well for us, and happened to be a Monday I had off!

Alison

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page