Halifax Playgroup - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 2068 Old 06-20-2005, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, it was definitely fun to finally meet everyone (well, almost everyone!)! And I agree, we desperately needed the sun!

Where exactly is the Art Museum?? For sure count Rayne and I in...we just have to figure out how to get there. I thought it was in downtown Halifax, in which case we have no problem getting there by bus. If not, Robin, do you still have room?? We can make it downtown easily enough. Let us know!

Mama to DD#1 (03/05) and DD#2 (05/08). Expecting baby #3.
#542 of 2068 Old 06-21-2005, 10:06 AM

brenden said he had his own website for his commercial photography. i have no idea what it's called, though!
#543 of 2068 Old 06-21-2005, 11:38 AM

Hi All it has been some time since Vienna and I showed our faces in your group. Good to see many of you again and nice to see new faces. I would love to bring V to the art gallery event if there is still room. If you are full up no problem, we will attend next time. How do we sign up?

Cheers...
...Karen
#544 of 2068 Old 06-21-2005, 01:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

The Art Gallery is booked for the June 27th at 11:00. We have the room from 11:00 - 1:00. They are not stringent on the times, so if you can't make it until 11:30 or need to leave early etc. they don't mind at all. You can jump in whenever you arrive. They really want this to be a fun experience for all.

The Art Gallery is on Hollis Street and a parallel street that I can't recall. It's pretty easy to spot. The new room is upstairs. Just check in at the front desk and they will guide you to the elevators.

You can bring old clothes for your little one, or you can strip them down to diapers, whatever you wish. Spare clothes is a good idea just in case though

I can't think of anything else. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Karen, you and Vienna are more than welcome to join us. The more the merrier
#545 of 2068 Old 06-21-2005, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettuce
It was indeed great to see the sun...and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again soon!

I never thought to ask at playgroup (too busy trying to remember everyone's names ), but since I'm new(ish) to the area, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good second-hand/consignment shops for kids' clothes? I saw one on Ochterloney St in Dartmouth, and my mom mentioned one on the #7 highway in Dartmouth too, but it only recently opened and when she was there, there wasn't a lot of stuff and it was fairly expensive. I hate buying new clothes for my kids! Has the playgroup ever had a clothing swap/borrow thingy?

: Value Village. Andrew is clothed entirely from Value Village. There's one in Halifax and one in Dartmouth. And we got a bag full of awesome brand name stuff from someone on freecycle! The last time I was at LK, I noticed a big "everything must go" sale sign at Jade's, so I had assumed they were closing.

Alison
#546 of 2068 Old 06-21-2005, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Lesley! I took ECE at St. Joseph's too!

Guy's Frenchy's are my favourite place to shop for children's clothes. There is an excellent one on Glendale Drive in Sackville. The clothes are cheap and you can find Hanna Anderson, Land's End, Gymboree, Gap, Old Navy, etc, etc. for under a buck. You just have to dig around.

Natalie
#547 of 2068 Old 06-21-2005, 10:51 PM

Oh Allison, Value Village is *great* for kids stuff! Sometimes you have to dig a bit to find the really great stuff, but we've gotten so many brand named clothing there that could almost pass as new. Kids are in their clothes for such a short time, I just can't bring myself to spend $30 on a pair of jeans that will get worn for a few weeks when I can find great looking jeans at VV for $5.00! Buy cheap while you can! My stepdaughter just turned 7 and she is begining to want only brand name clothing : . Up until now, we've always shopped for her at VV. And I've gotten some great Osh Kosh and Gap stuff for Rayne there as well. We VV!

#548 of 2068 Old 06-21-2005, 10:56 PM

Thanks everyone - I will be sure to try out the places you recommend...I love finding great deals on great little clothes.
#549 of 2068 Old 06-22-2005, 08:53 AM

frenchies has bag day on the last friday of the month. stuff a bag and pay $6. a friend and i got a four foot high pile of clothes for $24. there's one on the north end of barrington street for those without a car. it's pretty good, you do have to dig for the quality - there's an awful lot of tat out there. but i've found some wonderful stuff. and yes, callum has no new clothes, except what doting relatives give him!
#550 of 2068 Old 06-22-2005, 09:04 AM

Hi everyone

I was speaking with Natalie last night. I guess the funds that we have available from the United Way for trips to the Art Gallery and snacks for the wee ones are a bit slow in being reimbursed. Instead of my paying the whole shot and then waiting several months to receive a reimbursement for $100.00 or so, would it be alright if everyone brought $10.00 with them to help pay for the trip? I will record your name, payment and telephone number, and when the reimbursement comes in, Christian or Alison will be in touch with you to give you your money back. They are the contacts for the United Way funds.

I hope this isn't a problem.
#551 of 2068 Old 06-22-2005, 09:10 AM

That's no problem...no point in you carrying the whole burden!

Question....are we paying per child, or per adult? My husband has some free time MOnday morning and was thinking about coming along....do we need $10 for him too?

R
#552 of 2068 Old 06-22-2005, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchwormz
Oh Allison, Value Village is *great* for kids stuff! Sometimes you have to dig a bit to find the really great stuff, but we've gotten so many brand named clothing there that could almost pass as new. Kids are in their clothes for such a short time, I just can't bring myself to spend $30 on a pair of jeans that will get worn for a few weeks when I can find great looking jeans at VV for $5.00! Buy cheap while you can! My stepdaughter just turned 7 and she is begining to want only brand name clothing : . Up until now, we've always shopped for her at VV. And I've gotten some great Osh Kosh and Gap stuff for Rayne there as well. We VV!
Andrew and I were out with my sister the other week, and decided to go to Value Village. As we pulled in, Andrew got all excited in the back seat and we heard him say "Value Village! Value Village buy lotsa carses". He thinks Value Village is the place you go to buy dinky cars!

I'm sorry to be missing everyone at the Art Gallery. Can anyone else think of another fun outing to do on a Monday that I am going to be there?

Alison
#553 of 2068 Old 06-22-2005, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeaufoy
That's no problem...no point in you carrying the whole burden!

Question....are we paying per child, or per adult? My husband has some free time MOnday morning and was thinking about coming along....do we need $10 for him too?

R
I think last time is was per child, although I don't remember anyone having more than one adult. But I'm pretty sure it was per child.

Alison
#554 of 2068 Old 06-22-2005, 09:44 AM

what about the Discovery Centre? Last time we were there callum loved it!
#555 of 2068 Old 06-22-2005, 11:14 AM

PORCH SALE

Saturday June 25 10:00-2:00
5725 Inglis Street

There will be a lot of baby clothes, carriers, blankets, maternity clothes, books, and other perinatal and infant goodies. Also some toys (Alison- the little people garage will be for sale if you want to grab it for Andrew let me know, I will hold it for you), non maternity clothes, and a few other things. Call me at 431-9434 if you have any questions.

I like the idea of the kids clothing swap. In particular I have MEC winter clothes for a baby 0-6 months and fleece gear for 6-9 months if anyone needs it. I am looking for a good winter suit for ages 6-12 or 12-18 months. I also have MEC winter gear for a 2 year old if anyone wants to borrow it... rain and fleece gear too.
#556 of 2068 Old 06-22-2005, 02:04 PM

Yes, they charge for the materials, so it is $10.00 per child.

We'll miss you and Andrew on Monday Alison! I tried but it would have been well into August/Sept with all of their summer classes and vacations taking place.
#557 of 2068 Old 06-22-2005, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xian
what about the Discovery Centre? Last time we were there callum loved it!
We should organise playgroup at discovery centre one day, or else at the museum of natural history--Andrew really likes it there too. Mostly just to run up and down the indoors ramp, but he likes the fish/frogs/snakes etc that they have in the foyer too!

Alison
#558 of 2068 Old 06-22-2005, 03:07 PM

Also, someone should post a note on the church door that there is no playgroup this week. I don't think everyone is on this list, are they?

Alison
#559 of 2068 Old 06-22-2005, 11:12 PM

i told quite a few people on monday; hopefully everyone knows, but yes, we should. unless cassie isn't coming and will open up anyway?
#560 of 2068 Old 06-23-2005, 05:51 AM

I think Cassie is on this list, but I haven't heard from her. I was wondering if she new about Monday.
#561 of 2068 Old 06-23-2005, 10:52 AM

I am seeing cassie this morning so I will ask her about monday.
#562 of 2068 Old 06-23-2005, 12:04 PM

Hi there....new mom to 3 month old baby girl. Kinda off your topic, sorry. Anyone in the Bedford area?
#563 of 2068 Old 06-23-2005, 02:21 PM

Hello Flying Mommy. I don't think we have any Bedfordites on this list right now, but we have folks from Halifax, Dartmouth and beyond, so welcome!

Alison
#564 of 2068 Old 06-24-2005, 09:08 AM

i need some advice from everyone. you know we're house hunting, and the only stipulation is waterfront. well...... i looked at a house yesterday in chester. amazing.

three bedrooms, 2 acres, pastures on one side, crown land behind, unsellable woodlot the other side, grass field in front. hardwood floors, kitchen with island, dressing room and ensuite, studio space and large workshop in the basement, garage, woodstove, verandah off the master bedroom, two other decks, central vac, on a dirt road - no traffic, 3 minutes from central chester. affordable. what, you may ask, is the problem? no waterfront.

so, should i try to convice dh? is waterfront really needed in chester (sailing capital of canada and all)? it's ours for the buying - belongs to a relative. she'll drop 25000 for us! any ideas?
: :
#565 of 2068 Old 06-24-2005, 10:18 AM

Xtian, how'd you find affordable in Chester? I didn't think such a thing existed. Just think, you'd be near the source of Julien's. They don't open on Monday either, by the way!

Okay, just reread your e-mail. That's how you found affordable in Chester--it's all in who you're related to! There must be space to dock a boat in Chester for all those folks who don't have waterfront?

Alison
#566 of 2068 Old 06-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Banned

Sounds like a little patch of heaven! If you really want it, then I suggest making a list of pros and cons to show dh why it's wonderful, then express how much you want it, then hit with why it's ideal for your child. All else fails....cry a little (just kidding). Good luck!
#567 of 2068 Old 06-24-2005, 01:28 PM

:
Hello!
I am so happy that I stumbled across this board!
I am the first of my friends to have a baby....so I'm a bit lonley! I would love to have some people to talk to! My DD Maria is 3 1/2 months and we live on Pepperell St (off of Vernon) Is anyone in this area? I know there are lots families out there! Thanks!
#568 of 2068 Old 06-24-2005, 02:21 PM

Welcome Maria'sMom. You should definitely stop by the playgroup, there are other small babies who live locally who attend.

Alison
#569 of 2068 Old 06-24-2005, 03:47 PM

hi everyone, just wanted to verify that my girls and i are in for monday at the AGNS..that's still happening, right?
xian, that sounds like an amazing find! i dearly hope yoiu can convince your husband!
#570 of 2068 Old 06-24-2005, 09:43 PM

Yea! New baby girls! :

Hi Flying Mommy and Maria'sMom! My daughter is 16 weeks, about the same age as yours are. We are currently in Dartmouth but the plan is to move over to Halifax in the fall...as soon as we find a place. We just moved to Nova Scotia a few months ago so it's been fun finding new mommies in the area to with.

Welcome to the group!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page