Halifax Playgroup - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2068 Old 02-02-2004, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had our first meeting and it was fun!!!!I got to meet one MDC momma and hopefully I will get to meet more. Some moms from the neighborhood came with thier little ones and a good time was had by all. Any other mommas in the area are free to join us! PM me for details.

Natalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2068 Old 02-04-2004, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

bump!
#3 of 2068 Old 02-04-2004, 02:49 PM

I just tried to post but I guess it didn't work, ooops! Anyway I'm from Montreal and moving back to N.S. after 10yrs.. Hopefully we'll be there in July. I was actually going to attend a La Leche meeting to meet some other AP moms, but if your group is still aroung in the summer mind if I drop in?

Danielle, Mommy to Finn, Eava and Baby Shae.
#4 of 2068 Old 02-04-2004, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hey! I was in Montreal last week! My grandmother lives there and I used to as well. Of course you can join us! We'd be glad to have you .

Natalie
#5 of 2068 Old 02-04-2004, 10:10 PM

how old are the kids in your playgroup? approximately what day/time do you get together? I might be interested.....

#6 of 2068 Old 02-05-2004, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

The program started last week and we had a small group: 4 moms, 5 kids. This week I am expecting 6 moms and 7 kids. It is a drop-in playgroup that happens every Monday from 11-1. There are currently 4 babies and 3 toddlers. The number could go up or down depending on th week. We have coffee and tea, there is a playroom, and we sit and chat with one another. It's a chance to get out of the house and socialize with other moms in the area. I really enjoy it, because I get very lonely sometimes.

I hope you can join us!

Natalie
#7 of 2068 Old 02-09-2004, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

This week we had a new member, a mom who just moved here from Korea. She has a lovely little girl. We had a good time chatting over coffee...I ordered a maya wrap sling from one of the moms. I get it next week, I am so excited-the colors are gorgeous. I am sick and tired of the sling I am currently using, but it doesn't adjust and it is too small.

Our little group is starting to gain momentum. I would love to see some older children for the babies and toddlers to experience. I am going to campaign the local family residences at St. Mary's and Dalhousie Universities......Hmmmmm maybe the Art college too?? I would love to meet some artist mamas !! Hope to see you all next week, and any new members...we are every monday from 11-1. Just drop in! PM me for directions.

Natalie
#8 of 2068 Old 02-10-2004, 09:11 PM

Hello Natalie! Thanks for the webpage tip--I found others who are describing exactly what I go through with Andrew!

Anyway, I will see you at the library on Friday, and will definitely check out the playgroup on Monday! Can't wait to see you new sling.

Alison
#9 of 2068 Old 02-16-2004, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

There were fewer parents than usual this week, some children are sick, some are having their picture taken...so it was quiet today. Four moms including me, five children. 3 babies, 2 toddlers. I am hoping to get a parent resource centre started here in the south end of Halifax. After talking to some people in the community, it seems possible that one could get going, but it will be a lot of work! I guess I knew that though.

I got my maya wrap sling today, I love it. It's gorgeous, comfortable, adjustable, and I don't think it will get as hot as my old sling I wore last summer. I can't wait to use it!
#10 of 2068 Old 02-26-2004, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

nak

Despite the storm, some people actually came! I think we were all feeling a little housebound.Hope to see you all next week!

Natalie
#11 of 2068 Old 03-01-2004, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

This week we had three new families join us, plus all the original members, so we were hopping! We had about 10 children this morning, and only one girl. She held her own though, she was right there in the thick of all those darling boys!

I had a chance to push my AP agenda when one of the moms brought up CIO. I responded that it is something I would never consider doing. Another mom brought up the Sears' Baby Book, and a majoity of the parents there had it. Everyone who had the book agreed that it contained excellent advice regarding children's emotional health. Considering that only myself and one other mom are familiar with Mothering magazine and the concept of Attachement Parenting, I think our group is pretty good. Almost everyone breastfeeds and cosleeps!

I hope to see more MDC mommas next week! Come help me promote non-mainstream parenting in a gentle and non-judgemental way!
#12 of 2068 Old 03-01-2004, 03:32 PM

I really hope I can make it sometime soon. We had a busy weekend, so we stayed home to recover, but maybe next week.
#13 of 2068 Old 03-01-2004, 04:28 PM

Hi Natalie. Isn't it interesting how, even though most people haven't heard the term "attachment parenting", that's what it seems like we are all doing instinctively? It was really nice for me to hear that so many co-sleep, especially with the pressure I get now and again not to co-sleep!

Anyway, I am so sad that was my last playgroup . I will miss it--I wish you'd started it sooner, and I hope it's still going the next time around!
#14 of 2068 Old 03-09-2004, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

I am really exhausted so this is gonna be short. Our playgroup was great because I finally got to meet Emily (pumpkinhead) and her little darling Jacob. She is so nice!Jacob is so cute! Maybe we will get to meet Pam_and_abigail next? Hmmm.....

It is so nice to find a group of people that you just click with.....people who really love children and want to do what is best for them......I was so pleasantly surprised by this, that there is a seeminly random group of mothers together who are so responsive to thier children. Sigh. It was a good day, but I am tired and retreating back to lurkdom.

Natalie
#15 of 2068 Old 03-09-2004, 08:11 AM

We're planning on next week. We still see the doctors at Dal Health, and dd has her 18 month appt then. I made it for a monday so I could do both. Hope it all works out!
#16 of 2068 Old 03-09-2004, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

It will be great to finally meet you Pam .

Natalie

edited to add:

We are planning a trip to the art gallery, to do a workshop with the babies and toddlers on exploring art. It will be either the last Monday in April or the first Monday in May from 11-1, the same time our playgroup runs. The woman doing the workshop has a degree in fine arts and early childhood education, and she sets up very toddler and baby friendly art activities. They strip down to their diapers and get really messy! My friend took her group to one of these sessions and she said it was excellent and the babies had a wonderful time. She came away with a lot of cool ideas for doing art with very young children. I am hoping to get grant money to pay for this, otherwise it works out to be about 7 dollars per child. Please p.m. me if you are interested. I will post which Monday either tomorrow or the next day.

Cheers everyone!

Natalie

Natalie
#17 of 2068 Old 03-15-2004, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

nak

today we had a mom and little girl who just moved here from Ottawa join our group and a dad and his little boy. It poured rain so there were only five of us today. A lot of us have to walk or take the car to get there.

It's funny because it seems like every week we end up discussing the Superstores in the area, which one is the best for organic produce, and which one sells good children's clothes. It seems like we all love the superstore. We are not the only group that is obsessed with the superstore. My friend's mom and baby group is taking a tour of their local superstore this week !

So far this group has been a success. The parents involved are gaining support and information from one another, and I have made new friends and connections. This is a far cry from how I felt a few months ago. I felt very alone as a parent in my area, because it is considered a wealthy area and so no programs are in place for parents. It is assumed everyone around here can afford Kindermusic or something. I am living proof that this is not the case! So are a lot of the parents in my group. We are all the less-than-wealthy that live in this area. Besides, I am a firm believer in the fact that every parent needs to feel connected to other parents. We all need to know there are others in the world facing the same Joys and hardships as we are, regardless of income.

I have been communicating with community services and the United way for a small grant for the playgroup, to pay for materials and special outings, like the art gallery. I am pretty sure I will get it- I am keeping my fingers crossed!

It lookslike the date for the art gallery will be Monday, May 3rd. I will keep you posted.

See you next week!

Natalie
#18 of 2068 Old 03-16-2004, 08:24 AM

We didn't make it :-(
I was wrong about the date of the doc appt., it's next monday.

As far as superstore, WE don't love it, and we try to shop there as little as possible. We only buy jam, cheese, peanut butter, dressing, olives, and cat food there.

Wanna know why? It was about a year ago, so I may not get all the details. We were shopping for a replacement water filter for our Britta. We looked at the PC brand, since they were cheaper, and saw a 3 pk listed at $7.99, a single was $3.99. Says it fits most filters. We decided to try the single for now
We get to the checkout with our weekly haul, and it rings in at $4.99. If you are familiar with the Scanning Code of practice, if an iten scans differently than a listed price, you get the first item free, up to $10.
So we brought it to the attention of the clerk. He paged the General Merchandise Manager, who brought down a sticker showing that $4.99 was the price. He actually brought the sticker that sticks on the shelf. We nodded and bought the item. We needed a filter, so we bought it anyway. After we paid and walked away, we realized we were both sure it said $3.99. The manager had assured us that there was nothing anywhere around the filters with the price of $3.99. So I guess we were both seeing things. I ran back to check, and the price stikcer for $3.99 was gone. So we hopped in the car. Dh decided to drive to another superstore to check them out. We drove from Portland st. to Cole Harbour ( just a few minutes), and he ran in. Their filters were $4.99 for a single and $11.99 for a 3 pk. We drove back to Portland st. and went to the customer service, and I returned the single, while dh went back to the aisle and got the $7.99 sticker and a 3 pk. When we tried to purchase the 3 pk, it came up at $11.99. I didn't pay for them, I told them the price was different, they said to go to cust. service. By then dh had the sticker that said $7.99, so we confronted them nicely. She called the manager again, and first he asked acusatorily where we got the sticker. We told him. He informed us there were two plaves they kept filters. Then dh confronted him on how he *removed* the $3.99 sticker and lied to us, telling us *we* were seeing things. Dh also confronted him, saying that he printed off the $4.99 sticker ( we later realized he probably got it from the *other* filter section). So after a heated debate between dh and the GM manager, the manager finally huffed that we could have the 3 pk for $7.99. DH said, "No, we're going to get it for free, as set out by the scanning code of practice" So he huffed away muttering to the customer service lady to give them to us.
When we got home, one of the filters had been stolen, so it was really a 2 pk, and they were only replacement carbon for the cartridge that was the single, so we couldn't use them anyway. After complaining, we were assured that he no longer worked there. We still see him when we go there, though. We were given a $10 gift card, so in the end we did get the filters and monetary compensation, but the fact that this guy, who lied to us, and told us we were seeing things, still works at the store.
Sorry for the vent, but that is why we try to shop at the superstore as little as possible.

We are still interested in the art thingy!
#19 of 2068 Old 03-16-2004, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Wow Pam, that is a horrible experience! Horrible! I can completely understand why you won't shop at the superstore! From an ethical point of view, I really don't know about how great the superstore is, but they have really affordable organic produce....I know, I know....rationalize, rationalize . I probably should go to the farmer's market or /Home Grown Organic Foods. In fact, I will place my order with HGOF right now! Thanks for the motivation Pam!

I have you and Abigail signed up for the art thingy. P.M. me your # if you are comfortable with that or when we meet, you can just give it to me.

Natalie

edited to add:
p.s. I hope you will still come to our playgroup-I promise I will not bring up the superstore!
#20 of 2068 Old 03-16-2004, 12:11 PM

I've been thinking about trying out hgof. let me know how they are!
Thanks for listening to my rant about superstore. I do like the PC line, the organics too.
Hope to see you next week!
#21 of 2068 Old 03-16-2004, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

They are awesome! I have used their service off and on for years and they are really worth it IMO.
#22 of 2068 Old 03-16-2004, 07:08 PM

Hey Natalie. The 3rd of May is one of my Mondays off . Can Andrew and I come to the Art Gallery too? Can I bring a friend and her baby?

Alison
#23 of 2068 Old 03-16-2004, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Sure to both Alison! Call me sometime!!!I hope work is going well for you !!!!! Do you like all the !!!!????

Natalie
#24 of 2068 Old 03-22-2004, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

nak a teething (ouch) baby.

Man, today was buzy! I think we may need to use the gymnasium next week...

It was really nice to meet Pam and Abigail. I still find it so cool to meet moms from mdc irl. Pam is someone I have met irl a few times before I knew she was an mdc momma. She is really cool and Abigail is a gorgeous redhead . We had a new family from Spain join us this week as well.

This week I noticed that interactions between children are less frequent than the ones between adults. I think this playgroup should be called the 'Adult sanity saver group' because we are all so desperate for other adults to talk to :LOL . At one point I was so engrossed in talking that I didn't realize that one of the other moms (Alison) had been taking care of my son for me! I am not used to talking uninterrupted . Again, I really like the group of people who come to this playgroup. I was really pleasantly surprised at how most of the parents are people I would definitely trust with my child. And I have become quite strict about who I would trust my child with...
#25 of 2068 Old 03-22-2004, 09:23 PM

Hey Natalie. It was fun today. I'm so glad that I came. I have scanned those knitting patterns for you. They are from a very old book, published in the UK. That means the knitting needle sizes are UK sizes, so you'll need to find out what they are in metric. A UK size 10 is 3.25 mm. As for the yarn the pattern calls for, I have no idea what weight that is! Louise at LK would probably know though.

I'll see you in two weeks. I was trying to think if I know anybody in Fall River anymore, and I don't think I do, all my friends have moved away from there!

Alison
#26 of 2068 Old 03-22-2004, 10:15 PM

Hi Natalie and Alison

I didn't know you were doing a weekly update Natalie. You are so efficient. For any moms in the area who are thinking of coming to the playgroup, it is a lot of fun, and all of the moms and kiddos are wonderful.

Now, we just have to come up with a plan so you can stay home and keep the group going!

See you soon
Krista
#27 of 2068 Old 03-22-2004, 11:55 PM

Natalie, I'm so honoured that you'd trust your son to us! I must say, I'd trust Andrew to you, but then, that's a good thing considering that when you go back to work you'll be getting paid by people trusting their babies to you!
#28 of 2068 Old 03-24-2004, 07:57 AM

Just me chiming in to say we had a great time, and hope we can make it back frequently.
#29 of 2068 Old 04-03-2004, 08:08 PM

Hey Natalie. Just wondering if anything new and exciting was going on at playgroup. Is the art gallery thing still on? Andrew and I hope to be at playgroup on Monday, looking forward to seeing you and Liam and everyone else.

Alison
#30 of 2068 Old 04-05-2004, 07:49 AM

Well I was all set to come today, but dh drove off with the sling in the car, and I don't know if I can handle taking her on a bus trip without it. I'm pretty bummed about it!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page