Vancouver(ish) in September: summer weather, autumn cheer - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 237 Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
have a great time autumn! we'll make a date
see you later intuition

#62 of 237 Old 09-10-2009, 01:49 PM

Jericho is tomorrow? We won't be at that one, as ds2 is starting preschool and we have Hula Hoot.

I'm not into scheduling a bunch of activities, but I think ds2's preschool, Hula Hoot, some physical class for dd1 (she's deciding between ballet and circus classes) and occasional Ecology Center programs sounds like enough...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#63 of 237 Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM

nope. today!

#64 of 237 Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
nope. today!

Oops. We probably could have made it, but I've already told the kids we're going to the farm. I need to pay better attention to details! Maybe next year...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#65 of 237 Old 09-10-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
It's just super easy to drive down Hastings to get there from North Burnaby. And there's a huge parking lot one block west and one block north from the midwives.
That's great to know, thank you!

Cynthia, loving my husband Isaac, my silly boy Jacob (Apr 07), my sweet little Luke (Dec 09), and my darling Lily (Aug 12)

#66 of 237 Old 09-11-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ememers View Post
where do you recommend shopping for good maternity basics on a pretty restricted budget??
Welcome back!

I second the suggestion about trolling thrift shops and Value Village. I found some maternity clothes that were in great shape at thrift shops. I also found some deals in the back of Hazel & Co. in the clearance section. Also places like Zellers have maternity clothes too.

Cynthia, I remember being 7 months pregnant with my youngest, my first day in Ontario having to drive to a midwife appointment. We left early so we could start to see what were on the streets or walking distance. I think there are shops and stuff near Pomegranate, so if you are early you can walk, browse etc.
#67 of 237 Old 09-11-2009, 02:41 AM

I have some maternity clothing that I'm looking to part with, PM me if you'd like to have a look. (size large)

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#68 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tiffani

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around working again in Dec/Jan so I've made some decisions about looking after another child.
Here's my posting if anyone know's anyone who would be interested:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...366010126.html
What a great opportunity for some family out there! I think dawncayden would be such a great caregiver for any of you who haven't met her

Quote:
and what about sunday, anyone joining us at second beach?
we're planning to come!

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#69 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
Tiffani
Thanks Ksenia!! how are you guys doing these days?

we're still waiting on our '08 notice of assessment to arrive (last shred of paper!!!) and then I can send off our docs to our social worker and she can finish our homestudy. she contacted me tonight to ask if I could go ahead and email her the docs we're going to send so she can put together a rough draft for the approving agency to look over -- this will hopefully save us a lot of time, and I'm really so happy with her that she thought of it!!! she is also waiting on an adoption, with a birthmama who has chosen her (if she decides to place) due a couple of days ago, so she's on pins and needles right now, and I'm sure will be happy to get our study done. I'm going to tackle our paperwork issues again tomorrow (notarizing and authenticating in 3 countries...) so I can get this weight off my shoulders. I became overwhelmed with what we have to do, and since we're waiting for this last bit of documentation to arrive, I've sort of put it all out of my head -- though you can't ever really put it out of your head, so it just festers, and I've been really "off" for a while now... can't wait for the paperwork to be out of our hands!!!! again!!!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#70 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Hello everyone!

We're here and well and enjoying sunny Vancouver weather - though the dance of trying to see EVERYONE in such a short time always gets rather intense!!!

Really looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday - I imagine we'll get there at noon, and be staying until 4-ish. I'm thinking of the playground with the firetruck at second beach, does that work for people?!

Tiffani, you know how much we all wish you were here too to join us, too bad you can't teleport yourselves for an afternoon!!!!! Thinking of you lots during these frustrating but also anticipating/exciting times!!!!! xo

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#71 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 01:05 PM

I am hoping to make it to 2nd beach tomorrow. We have a family Dim Sum date at 11 so we won't get there until 2ish. I'm hoping some of you will still be there! We'll be the family with three kids and a black poodle puppy!
#72 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 01:08 PM

sounds like a good meet-up spot, though if it is beautiful like this my children will be dying to migrate down to the beach for sure!

tiffani, good luck. it must be hard to be that patient.

we can't wait to see everyone.

#73 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 01:58 PM

Does anyone want plums? Our tree has exploded with fruit love this year! PM me for details!:
#74 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
sounds like a good meet-up spot, though if it is beautiful like this my children will be dying to migrate down to the beach for sure!
We'll probably be there with you .

#75 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 05:49 PM

I'll see if we can make it - I'd love to see you all! Dd is going to a sleepover birthday party tonight after just getting home from one last night...I have a feeling she will be pretty much done by then & we'll all be in for a rough day .

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#76 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 PM

I do wish we could come!! sounds like so much fun!! the weather here is getting better and better by the day, and I got our stuff organized today (made a list) so I'm feeling much better.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#77 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robugmum View Post
Does anyone want plums? Our tree has exploded with fruit love this year! PM me for details!:
Ack! Thanks for reminding me. I got a bunch from mom and they're in the fridge. I need to make something with them...probably just a cobbler. I hope they're still okay...

#78 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 10:42 PM

bummer - wish I could join you all at the beach, but we're having a garage sale, and then I'm working 4-12. (It's been a very very looooong weekend so far).
have fun!

(and good luck Tiffani!)

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#79 of 237 Old 09-13-2009, 01:41 PM

What kind of stuff you selling Lori?

Red wagon?

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#80 of 237 Old 09-13-2009, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
Thanks Ksenia!! how are you guys doing these days?
We're doing pretty well. I continue to be pretty busy just trying to keep on top of the daily stuff. I still haven't figured out how to cut down the amount of time that I spend on housework and cooking so that I can spend more time on friendships, career, and fitness. It feels like our family is supposed to shift right now, but I haven't figured out how. But maybe it's just that I'm shifting. My career is now completely on hold and I don't feel that great about it. It seems that my family needs my full focus right now. My dh is putting huge pressure on himself in his business and that is affecting our family life a lot.

Of course my entire life revolves around whatever books I'm into recently . I'm very preoccupied with this book. Relationships are so central to my life right now...and I'm really starting to try on different ways of looking at things. I'm also really into Vygotskyan educational philosophy as it pertains to increasing executive function. Where's the nerd smiley when I need it. And decluttering continues, inspired by my new favourite book on the topic. I think that my preoccupation with my home won't stop until I get to a certain level of functionality and peacefullness. I want to blitz it and move forward!

#81 of 237 Old 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM

I am a big fan of Vygotsky too!:
I think we will have to bail out of the picnic today. DD1 is not feeling great and I think I should stay home, let her rest and do something with all these plums!
Please, Please, Please, come and get 'em if you want some!!!
#82 of 237 Old 09-13-2009, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Agreed, Vygotsky knew his stuff! I read a lot of this work while getting my teaching credential, and I see applications of it all over the place (with kids AND adults)!

Mama to DS1 wave.gif (born at 32.5 weeks in Dec 2009) and DS2 and DS3 angel2.gif angel2.gif (born at 23 weeks in Oct 2013). 
#83 of 237 Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 PM

so wonderful to see folks today, what a gorgeous day! i love it when summer continues through september especially if i can swim in the ocean a little more. sorry to miss you robug. i would LOVE plums but have no way to get to you, shucks. enjoy, are you making jam? my mum would stew the dried ones at christmas and make the most divine plum tarts :

#84 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 AM

No plums for us thanks, we're pitching a whole lot of our own into the compost every day! And our apples are nearly ripe and I've never seen our tree with so many apples, not sure what to do with them. Sauce I guess, though they aren't great sauce apples.

I have a friend doing a fundraising for her teacher education program. Her list of stuff includes grain-fed antibiotic free chicken breasts (boneless) for $12/kg and wild sockeye salmon fillets 8x6oz fillets for $32 among many many other things (pies, cookies, other meat products, pizzas, perogies, etc etc.) If anyone is interested pls PM me your email address and I'll send you the info. I know everyone is always looking for healthier meat products around here and those prices seem decent, IMO.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#85 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 AM

Yes, it was a great day at the beach today (even though I really hate sand and great to meet up with friends from around the world :!

I ended up with a few items that didn't belong to anyone left there:
a pair of pink pants - size 3 (Uma's?)
pale pink crocs - size 89 (Uma's?)
pale pink with pink flowers flip-flops - larger than the crocs (Tiegan's?)

Let me know if these are yours & we'll figure out how to get them back to you.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#86 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

: I loved having an MDC mama fix -- thanks for giving us a great excuse beaner&tiegs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
a pair of pink pants - size 3 (Uma's?)
pale pink crocs - size 89 (Uma's?)
Sounds like Uma's stuff. My kids just ditch their clothing and shoes whereever they happen to be and I can't seem to keep track of their stuff! If you could bring them to the Centre (leave them in a bag on Wolfi's hook?) I would be ever so grateful!! Or to Club Aviva if you're going there?

#87 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
: I loved having an MDC mama fix -- thanks for giving us a great excuse beaner&tiegs.
I wish I'd gone, but this was the first "just family" day we've had in a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Sounds like Uma's stuff. My kids just ditch their clothing and shoes whereever they happen to be and I can't seem to keep track of their stuff!
I know the feeling. DS2's shoes are always going missing, and they take stuff off a lot. I had to look for his shoes after the NBTS picnic (which we didn't leave until about 5:00 or something like that).

#88 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 05:54 AM

anyone else with telus email getting the message "service unavailable. try again later" ...or something like that??? I'm wondering if it's just us, or if it will remedy itself soon...

thanks, and wish I was there at the beach with ya'll!!!!

#89 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 AM

Hi Tiffani,
No problems with Telus here...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#90 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Yes, it was really wonderful to see everyone, and the kids loved the chance to have a swim in the ocean! Thanks to everyone who made it out, we'll have to do that every time we make it out west here. We definitely miss you all out east.

Tiffani, have you been paying your telus bills from New Zealand? We're currently paying about $5 a month to have just webmail from them. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Tiegan turned 6 yesterday, can't believe how big she is getting!!!! Gah!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page