Vancouver(ish) in September: summer weather, autumn cheer - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
First ... 6  7  8
Canada > Vancouver(ish) in September: summer weather, autumn cheer
Ellp's Avatar Ellp 11:37 PM 09-26-2009
The website doesn't say anything about spraying but you could call and ask...www.applebarn.ca

Autumn Mama's Avatar Autumn Mama 02:46 AM 09-27-2009
They spray.

Unless something drastic changed. We've resigned ourselves to just buying the local ones, spray and all, and eating fewer when we can't find BC organic apples. Most local orchards I've asked about it, respond that the nemesis of appples is our wet coastal weather, and because they have to protect the crop before they ripen, they spray to avoid losses. So, even though we had an amazingly dry growing season, and little fungus disease would likely have been a big problem, they're all sprayed.

there used to be a place in Mission, but they were grumpy and elderly and didn't want kids there and it was very controlled U-Pick. No kids?!?!
Len's Avatar Len 03:06 AM 09-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
does anyone know where i could go to pick my own unsprayed apple or some other fruit?

at the parking lot of our school
kdtmom2be's Avatar kdtmom2be 03:42 AM 09-27-2009
and in my yard! I haven`t decided if I want all my apples yet though. Maybe I`ll have a crack at them tomorrow (going to make sauce even though they are not the right kind for sauce....) and see how it goes.

It was a good year for apples, we have virtually NO blight, which is unusual and our apples look lovely. Unfortunate that they spray before the fact but I understand why. I have a box of `dormant spray` that has been sitting here for about 3 years that my hubby intended to spray on the pear trees and never did. We lost all our pears to blight again this year and you just can`t tell until it is too late if you`re going to get hit by blight or not.
Autumn Mama's Avatar Autumn Mama 05:11 AM 09-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
I have a box of `dormant spray` that has been sitting here for about 3 years that my hubby intended to spray on the pear trees and never did. We lost all our pears to blight again this year and you just can`t tell until it is too late if you`re going to get hit by blight or not.
Dormant oil/dormant oil spray would be used during the tree's dormant period, here about December to February or just prior to bud-break, for I think three consecutive dry day sprayings. It is a combo of an oil + lime sulfur and it is OMRI listed (meaning it is accepted for use within the BC certified organic industry.) We use it here on the farm as it's all we can use (we're certified organic and legally bound to follow OMRI standards as part of accepting to live here.)

Check out the various copper sprays too, as far as I know they are acceptable, and work on the several other fungal diseases that fruit trees get in our soggy climate....between the two you should knock something out safely!

We were rewarded with a nice crop of peaches this year; I carefully picked off the gnarled leaves from the dreaded peach leaf curl, and after that the tree grew through it and we had a nice amount to harvest. The nectarine tree was a bust though. The two fruit it managed to offer us were taken by earwigs!
sea island mama's Avatar sea island mama 03:33 PM 09-27-2009
Does anyone know which apples are good for sauce & which for baking?

I have a box full of Red Delicious & Macintosh we got from the orchard behind BIL's house in Kelowna. I should probably do something with them soon. We are eating up the Gala, but no-one likes the others much.

I'd love to make some apple crumbles...maybe even freeze a few...when I get around to making the crumble!
robugmum's Avatar robugmum 04:46 PM 09-27-2009
I make sauce, crumbles, pie etc out of any apple!
(usually, whatever is languishing in the fruit bowl!)
Red delicious are really good baked on their own, with a little bit of sour cream and brown sugar and cinnamon dolloped on top
artparent's Avatar artparent 04:52 PM 09-27-2009
here you go. a visual guide to apples.

kdtmom2be's Avatar kdtmom2be 07:42 PM 09-27-2009
thanks for that info Autumn Mama!

"They" say that the best apples for sauce are Translucents. I have a tree of those too, they ripen in July, which is not a good time for me to be making sauce, it's just way too hot. And they are not good eating apples, too mushy for my tastes, so they end up in our compost every year. I don't see any reason not to use any apple for anything, except that the textures won't always be good. I am pondering canning apple pie filling though... there should be enough sugar and acidity to keep it from spoiling. Hmmm.... and so there is!
vancouverlori's Avatar vancouverlori 03:17 AM 09-28-2009
MacIntosh apples should make good sauce - that's what the SunRype applesauce is (or was?) made from.

Mmmm, applesauce...

Emily did a reading at Word On the Street today. She wrote a really cute short piece during Book Camp about a little girl who wanted to be a traffic reporter and reported on the bug traffic in her backyard. I think it was one of the most successful readings of the group. But then, I'm perhaps a little biased. But people did laugh in all the appropriate places!
Alison's Mom's Avatar Alison's Mom 02:19 AM 09-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post
Emily did a reading at Word On the Street today. She wrote a really cute short piece during Book Camp about a little girl who wanted to be a traffic reporter and reported on the bug traffic in her backyard. I think it was one of the most successful readings of the group. But then, I'm perhaps a little biased. But people did laugh in all the appropriate places!
That's so cute! Glad it went well - you must be a proud mama.
sea island mama's Avatar sea island mama 03:41 AM 09-29-2009

artparent's Avatar artparent 09:09 PM 09-29-2009
if you have a second, sign the petition for breastfeeding support.

artparent's Avatar artparent 01:44 AM 09-30-2009
ah, september was just a blink for me!
summer to autumn so quickly!

does anyone know where i can buy pomona pectin? do i need it for apple butter?

sea island mama's Avatar sea island mama 01:55 AM 09-30-2009
This recipe for apple butter (from that apple web site) doesn't call for any pectin at all. I think I'm going to try it...(running to add granny smith apples to the shopping list before I forget...or maybe I'll just use red delicious since I have them )
Autumn Mama's Avatar Autumn Mama 01:59 AM 09-30-2009
I have to figure out if I can use my lovely fresh biodynamic Golden Delicious apples for anything interesting...apple butter sounds heavenly!

Sauce, too would be pretty in jars. Suddenly after a visit with a friend and seeing red tomatoes in jars I'm re-inspired. Now, for some energy! Send some my way if you've got extra, lol!
giraffee's Avatar giraffee 04:26 AM 09-30-2009
Hi mamas,
New here and looking for some advice. My 15 mo DD has some serious demineralization in her front tooth and we are brushing one day with fluoride toothpaste and one day with xylitol, but I was wondering if there are any other xylitol products sold in our area. If it is a family issue, then all of us need to start using xylitol, but I haven't seen any adult-oriented xylitol products. DO you know any? If so where do I find them? I am in Burnaby, not too far from Metrotown.
weliveintheforest's Avatar weliveintheforest 01:03 PM 09-30-2009
Hi Giraffee
At health food stores you should be able to find xylitol gum and mints, and even just plain xylitol for use instead of sugar in food. welcome to mdc!
giraffee's Avatar giraffee 02:27 PM 09-30-2009
That's exactly my problem. I know there are health food stores downtown, but I never go there. And I don't know any in the Burnaby area, so if you could point me in the direction.... And thank you for the welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
Hi Giraffee
At health food stores you should be able to find xylitol gum and mints, and even just plain xylitol for use instead of sugar in food. welcome to mdc!

dawncayden's Avatar dawncayden 02:36 PM 09-30-2009
Hello from Marsupial Mamas!

Try Choices near Edmonds Skytrain.
artparent's Avatar artparent 03:00 PM 09-30-2009
yum, so i'll do apple butter without pectin, then (i guess apples *have* pectin) but still for other purposes
anyone know where i can buy pomona pectin? i have a tiny moment in the week when i can squeak out and buy last things before i go!

giraffee's Avatar giraffee 03:16 PM 09-30-2009
Yay, will try that one! I never even knew there's Choices in Burnaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Hello from Marsupial Mamas!

Try Choices near Edmonds Skytrain.

robugmum's Avatar robugmum 03:34 PM 09-30-2009
Pomona Pectin is at Famous Foods for sure!
Storm Bride's Avatar Storm Bride 03:55 PM 09-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
yum, so i'll do apple butter without pectin, then (i guess apples *have* pectin)
They sure do. My mom just made some yummy plum jam, and she used apples, instead of adding pectin itself. It's soooo good.
Alison's Mom's Avatar Alison's Mom 04:04 PM 09-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffee View Post
Yay, will try that one! I never even knew there's Choices in Burnaby
There's also a bigger Choices store on 10th Ave in South Bby near New West. Or, there's a store called Natural Focus in Kensington Plaza on Hastings as well.
vancouverlori's Avatar vancouverlori 05:03 PM 09-30-2009
(posted to HS-Van, but thought I'd put it here in case any of you lovely mamas have a likely prospect to pass it on to.)

My daughter and I are going away for a week later this month, and we need someone to help look after our cat during the day. It would be at our home in Champlain Heights (S.E. corner of Vancouver). We're away from Sunday, October 18th to Sunday Oct. 25. We'll probably only need help from the 18th to the 23rd (Sun to Fri), as someone will be home most of the day on the Saturday and the last Sunday.

Minimum requirement: visit the cat once during the day (sometime between 11 and 2), feed him and give him medicines (we'll show you how) and give him a few cuddles if you're so inclined.

Further possibilities: 2 visits per day (or may stay several hours rather than going back and forth), and/or giving sub-cutaneous fluid injections, depending on maturity level and interest.

Would suit a homeschooled teen (or preteen with parental support). Must be comfortable with cats. Remuneration would depend on level of involvement.

Our cat has chronic renal failure and must eat special food and supplements and take several different medications. Everything will be all laid out, and we would arrange one or two visits before we leave, for our cat to meet you and so we can show you how we do things and give you a chance to try things out. He's a very sweet cat, and generally very friendly, but sometimes he doesn't feel well and has to be encouraged to eat (encouragement ranges from petting him while he eats to actually spoon feeding him). If you were interested in learning how to give subcutaneous fluid injections, we would show you how to do that. It might be helpful to know something about the condition, so if you want to read about it, we suggest starting here: http://www.felinecrf.org/what_is_crf.htm

Please reply by Wednesday, October 7th, with a short e-mail about yourself, describing your experience with cats and any other relevant experience (babysitting, first-aid classes, other pets of your own...) as well as what level of care you'd be willing to provide.

Thanks,
-Lori
flowmom's Avatar flowmom 02:31 PM 10-01-2009
come join us in the new thread
First ... 6  7  8

Up