Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.
Helen Hunt Jackson, September, 1830-1885

Welcome Lower Mainland Mamas!
(and Mamas to Be)

All local mamas are welcome here! Visitors are welcome to pop in too. We are brought together by our passion for conscious/thoughtful/attachment/respectful/wholistic/natural parenting, not always agreeing on the path but agreeing to respectfully discuss, share, and learn together. Feel free to join in the conversation and introduce yourself!

This is our thread for chatting online, discussing issues relevant to the Lower Mainland, and arranging meetings in real life. If you have issues and questions that are not specific to the Vancouver area, please start a new thread in the appropriate MDC forum (e.g. breastfeeding, discipline, health, etc.). You can also post a link to your topic in this thread if you are requesting input from your tribe members. This allows us to
1. adhere to MDC guidelines;
2. keep questions and responses organized; and
3. reduce thread traffic and allow readers more control over which discussions they engage in.

Meet-ups are sporadic and include gatherings at parks, Science World, and people's homes. Anyone is welcome to suggest a gathering time/place. Meet-ups are either announced in the meet-up thread in the Canada Forum or here.

Remember that to get email notification of new posts in this thread, you can post to this thread to subscribe or you can use 'thread tools' and click 'subscribe'.

Please note that our Vancouver(ish) Tribe has other threads in the Canada Forum, including:

* Vancouver(ish) Meet-up thread
* Knitting Group Thread: look in the Canada forum
* Vancouver(ish) Doctors for Children
* Vancouver(ish) Dental Resources for Children
* FAQ: Greater Vancouver Area Liveability and Affordability

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#2 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i love september

#3 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't caught up with the thread . What can I tell you, I am so busy with my fascinating life of laundry, dishes, picking up, room painting, and decluttering . Yes, I suppose my home should be fit for Better Homes and Gardens by now, but *no* .

We are planning to go to the Not Back To School Picnic. Ds announced emphatically that he does not ever want to go to school . I had to laugh because he really doesn't have much of a clue of what school is and might even want to attend if he had more info.

#4 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 AM

gardeners, a lovely bit about an urban gardener in nyc.

any suggestions where to buy beeswax candles in this city? i mean the solid ones. alternatively, where i could just get the beeswax to make my own?

i've found a place not too far from my house in london that does handweaving, they have looms, lots of fibres, and do workshops and classes. my tall one has decided she wants a class there..for her birthday we'll see what all the folks who insist on giving her objects will say.

now i just need to find a butcher that will use butcher paper, and a pottery studio, and i will be pretty content

ksenia, it is good to focus on what's in front of you, this place can really pull you away from home in a bizarre way

#5 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
any suggestions where to buy beeswax candles in this city? i mean the solid ones. alternatively, where i could just get the beeswax to make my own?
Wicks & Wax is quite a fun outing . They have the rolling and melting types of beeswax. The rolling kind is really easy for children to make and it comes in all colours (we go there before xmas). The atmosphere is very warehouse, but I just love to see all the materials laid out on the shelves. Don't know how the prices compare to other places.

#6 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Midwife assisted home births no riskier than hospital: CMAJ study

#7 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 01:54 AM

There's always our local HoneyBee Center.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#8 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 02:00 AM

thanks!!

i've lost sheets of beeswax somewhere in my home here
at least i find interesting things whenever i do another search for it. like yellowtail

#9 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 02:05 AM

I recall seeing the solid beeswax ones in Choices, or maybe Capers would have them on the North Shore? they are purty!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#10 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 02:29 AM

Beeswax...Some grocery stores sell them. I know our Thrifty's has a selection of sizes in the solid tapers and pillar type. They'd probably be sold at Whole foods, Capers, and Planet Organic too.

As for the sheets, you might want to try Micheals. I know they sell the regular coloured wax stuff.

I got our candles at a christmas fair last year. They make the house smell so sweet!:

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#11 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 02:39 AM

Hmmmm, multi-quotes don't carry over from prior threads!

Well, okay Ellp, and artparent, since you're ganging up on me I suppose I can see your points! LOL! I do want to slow down and enjoy these processes and well, just chillax! (My new great word )

I seem to live lately as though there's a time deficit somehow, or in my mind I guess I'm creating one. For what underlying purpose, I don't know, maybe to prevent myself from enjoying and embracing my life more fully? I feel an "AHA" moment coming on...

I'm distracted lately by wanting to fix up my home, as it's been really neglected, but I still want to carve out some "me time". So I will!

Even if I only manage to make 1 dozen cans, I will have learned more about how to, and will have allowed myself the company of friends and lived in the moment. And each one of those cans comes with an ingredient I can't buy: love. I'm really looking forward to the Fall, as I very much want to knit and create and make and be. I need to work on letting go of my perfectionism and just sink my hands into things, and nevermind the house! It ain't going anywhere, lol! It's funny, because all of my growing up years, my mother was quite unavailable due to compulsive home cleaning and I definitely don't want to do that to my kidlets. I don't clean compulsively, but I get all caught up in "making something better" instead of just it being "good enough".

Well, good enough, here I come!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#12 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post

The Ethical Kitchen in North Van sells solid beeswax candles....

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#13 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM

All this talk about beeswax is making me want to get back to candlemaking. I've only worked with paraffin (couldn't afford beeswax) and I've been on hiatus for a long time. Maybe I'll get organized to do a bit before Christmas this year. I'm a little nervous about melting wax in our small kitchen, with ds2 around, though...

I really need to declutter. I got on it a little bit, due to a small burst of "nesting" energy when I was pregnant with dd2, but the energy petered out fast. (I can't complain, as I've never had it before at all.) We have too much stuff for the space we live in, and it's definitely a source of tension and conflict around here. While I'm kind of sad to be done having children, I'm also feeling some relief. I've always held onto all my old baby clothes - almost like a talisman to ensure that I would have them all. Now, I can finally start putting them into my donation bags as dd2 outgrows them. I put the first sleeper in there a few days ago, and it felt good.

Now, I just have to summon the courage to go through dd1 and ds2's drawers and get rid of the stuff they've outgrown. It's going to be a big job, and dd1 will fight me every inch of the way. She still wears toddler dresses as shirts whenever she can. I actually don't mind that, but she has so many clothes!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#14 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Okay, canners: I contacted Ladybug and spoke to a fellow there who *has* alot of tomatoes right now, but due to some shortages with orders he doesn't have alot to spare. These would be the #2 Roma tomatoes. He will get more Friday, and so I would like to know how many I need to pick up?

I can't can on Friday (B's Bday), but I could Saturday or Sunday...Or should we stick to Thursday and I can go to/ call Two EE's (close to me) and order theirs?

How many does everyone involved in the canning want? I'm aiming for 12 jars, for this canning day. I'll go back over the posts to see how many pounds I 'd require. I guess I need to decide if that's 500 ml jars or 1 litre jars.

I'm so used to buying canned tomatoes I'm even not sure if they're equivalent! Math, here I come.

#15 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Speaking of Ladybug Organics and coconut products.... anyone notice these? They sound yummy

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#16 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Those coconut bars look so yummy!

We are going to come to the Not Back to School Picnic

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#17 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 04:27 PM

It'd be great to meet you Sheila!

I promise I won't say a word about chickens, too!

Are folks heading to the New West one or the one in Vancouver? We're thinking New West, but it was soooo huge last year. It made it tough to talk to folks and mind where my boys were. It would be nice to see some of you in real life and catch up.

We're off to explore around Hope.

I guess, no on the canning for now? I'm fairly busy with my DH on holidays, and don't know how to plan this any further, because we'll be away so much, enjoying my little one's birthday etc. I'm going to away from a computer...I'm really not much of a planner...it doesn't come naturally, I think.

#18 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 PM

autumn, if ellp wants to go ahead with the tomatoes kd mentioned, i still have tomorrow all ready. otherwise, maybe we should see how things go...we're awfully busy next week, and the weekend is busy with family.

don't feel badly! this hasn't been easy!!

#19 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 05:05 PM

oh - and i'm happy with 40lbs!

#20 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 PM

But who is ordering them?

I can still come and pick them up, if need be.

#21 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 05:32 PM

NM....be back later...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#22 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 05:33 PM

ellp, what do you think? too complicated? i'm happy to call folks if you like, just tell me amounts and such.

#23 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 05:37 PM

sorry, cross posted!

okay - autumn, if you have saturday free, why don't you decide whether you can go study up with ellp, and i will see what i can organise around ordering from ladybug a little later on. it sounds like things are getting quite overwhelming, especially with a big drive out to mine!

#24 of 237 Old 09-03-2009, 03:47 AM

if there are any folks considering homeschooling, or who just haven't heard,

Annual Jericho Not Back to School Picnic
>
> This is the local Vancouver not-back-to-school picnic.
>
> Everyone welcome, this is a great time to meet vancouverites and see
> if
> homelearning is for you!
>
> What: Vancouver's local Not-back-to-school Picnic
>
> When: Thursday September 10th 2009
> 10:30 am to Whenever
>
> Where: Jericho Beach Park
> 3941 Point Grey Road (@ Wallace Street)
> http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&...mozilla:en-GB:
> official&client=firefox-
> a&q=3941+Point+Grey+Rd,+Vancouver,+BC&um=1&ie=UT F
> -8
> &split=0&gl=ca&ei=19ieSq6JE4iosgOywpEi&sa=X&oi=geo code_result&ct=title
> &resnum=1
>
> Under one of the willow trees in the big grassy area right off 4th
> Ave.
> buses stop just by the park.
>
>

we'll be there, but a bit late...don't worry if you don't see anyone at 10.30! folks have left before, thinking they were in the wrong place, but homelearners are notoriously late starters

#25 of 237 Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 PM

artparent, I received your PM! That sounds like a good idea!

Ellp, I won't be canning today...I'm hoping it might fall into place on a different day...

#26 of 237 Old 09-03-2009, 01:12 PM

subbing! too busy dealing with a chaotic house and a sick puppy to write more - happy Fall Everyone!
#27 of 237 Old 09-03-2009, 01:48 PM

hi robug!

okay, my time is getting VERY short. erica? E R I C A A A...when will you arrive? let us know, maybe we could have a september mothering picnic while you're here? i haven't got my tickets yet but will shortly, i think... maybe we could pick a day and start mid-afternoon and have an early potluck dinner? that way folks who don't have kids in school could get started and others can show up after school? or we could just do a saturday afternoon, like the 12th? i have been dying to have a beach barbeque though we'd need a rainy alternative. anyone interested?

other ideas?

#28 of 237 Old 09-03-2009, 01:48 PM

subbing

We'll be going to the New West picnic.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#29 of 237 Old 09-03-2009, 03:40 PM

Elisa,
I'd love to get together for a picnic!:::
#30 of 237 Old 09-04-2009, 12:23 AM

you and me, robug

a recycled, recyclable toothbrush.

btw, i did get the naturborsten toothbrushes, but they were too big for my mouth, nevermind my children's, and very uncomfortable to use. i think it was just the shape - if they could modify that i would try them again. i wish i knew who to tell - they seem to be german but i can't find information.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page