Public school fees in Ontario? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-03-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DSS just started secondary school here in Montreal. He's attending a public school with a uniform, so right off the bat, we've had to shell out 350$ for the new uniform.

Aside from that, the school wants 100$ for things like a lock, yearbook, agenda, workbooks etc. We're also required to buy general school supplies (about 75$ so far) as well as specific school supplies (dunno what this is going to be yet). I just know that once he has to get school books for subjects such as math, science, geography, there will be more money to shell out...someone told me that we may not have to pay for these books as DSS is in public school, but I'm still waiting for the piano to drop on my head.

My question for those mamas who live in Ontario is...do you have similar fees to pay for your kids or is *everything* covered?
#2 of 6 Old 09-04-2009, 11:37 AM

That sounds cheaper than what my neighbour is paying for her public schooled grade 8 kid here in Ontario. Minus the uniform but added to that was $150 for some leadership camp, buying specialized art supplies, instrument rental fees for music class...

Basically, nothing is covered.
#3 of 6 Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM

Here in my district in Ontario, pretty much everything elementary has been covered. They don't even need to bring pencils. We do get asked for money through the year for fundraising, field trips, pizza day (a fundraiser), but that's it. The school council provides (out of the fundraising) the agendas, the school provides the text books/work sheets/supplies.

In high school, we had to buy the uniform, which does cost, but again, we've only been asked for extra for field trips.
#4 of 6 Old 09-04-2009, 02:22 PM

Halfasianmama,

Are you and your family thinking about moving to Ontario??

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#5 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think a lot of it varies by school board and sometimes even schools. For us we had to pay a deposit for our textbooks but it was returned to us at the end of the year when we returned our books. I remember that the kids who took art had to buy their own paint and we all had to supply a lock for our lockers (and it had to be a Dudley).

A lot of it depends on what activities your child is involved in. If they're on a sports team and the team wants new jerseys, there may be pressure to buy one (or do the fundraising). If they want to go on field trips, it comes out of pocket.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.
#6 of 6 Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your answers mamas. It's nice to know that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page