Rate of pay for live-out nanny? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2009, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hi there -

As my return to work starts to loom near (mid-November) and just about every day care I've visited turns my stomach in one way or another, I'm starting to consider other options. Another mom and I are thinking of hiring a live-out nanny / full time caregiver to come to one of our homes to watch our two boys (both are 9 mos old now and will be 1 year when this would start). We would like to find someone local rather than going international.

Does anyone have any idea what rate of pay is normal for this type of work? For reference, in my mind the person does not have to have decades of experience or any special education (ECE) other than advanced first aid if they have other qualities that make them a good fit for our families (energetic, cuddly, compassionate, I could go on...). Only childcare and lunch prep would be required, not housekeeping. It would be about 7 - 8 hours a day.

While I'm at it I might as well ask if you think it would be okay to add a third child in about 6 months when our two are 18 months old (by law here there can't be more than 2 kids under 18 months in an in-home care situation) or is three toddlers for one nanny too much?

Thanks so much for any advice you can share!
Jess

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
Hi there -

As my return to work starts to loom near (mid-November) and just about every day care I've visited turns my stomach in one way or another, I'm starting to consider other options. Another mom and I are thinking of hiring a live-out nanny / full time caregiver to come to one of our homes to watch our two boys (both are 9 mos old now and will be 1 year when this would start). We would like to find someone local rather than going international.

Does anyone have any idea what rate of pay is normal for this type of work? For reference, in my mind the person does not have to have decades of experience or any special education (ECE) other than advanced first aid if they have other qualities that make them a good fit for our families (energetic, cuddly, compassionate, I could go on...). Only childcare and lunch prep would be required, not housekeeping. It would be about 7 - 8 hours a day.

While I'm at it I might as well ask if you think it would be okay to add a third child in about 6 months when our two are 18 months old (by law here there can't be more than 2 kids under 18 months in an in-home care situation) or is three toddlers for one nanny too much?

Thanks so much for any advice you can share!
Jess
Most of your questions totally depend on your area and your nanny.

I'm a nanny to three small children, in a nanny share situation (Moms are sisters).
The boys are 3.5 & almost 4, and the girl is 16 months. I have all three two times per week, and 2 children the other two days (and get fridays off). I work 9 hours days.

I find it very draining looking after all three. I have been with the boys for a year, then left for 6 months, and now back almost 4 months. I know them very well and love them dearly, but still find logistically really tricky. Would you have a triple stroller? I carry one bub, and push a single and make the other walk, but they are 3/4, so a bit older.

So, for me, no I couldn't do 3 kids that are that much younger. I find it really hard to ensure everyones emotional needs are met, and I'm mostly just warding off fights, instead of enjoying them...you know?
But, for another nanny 3 children that age might be fine, so you'd need to ask.

As for wages, PM me. I don't feel comfortable talking about money in a public forum (or anywhere really, but I don't mind answering).

I'm not sure that was helpful

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:39 PM

I think it really depends on who it is for what they would want to be paid. Perhaps a SAHM wouldnt mind watching them along with her child for a little less. Someone who is considering it a real job, I would say minimum wage? or just under?

Retired grandma or someone fresh out of highschool may also work for a little less.

I would advertise as negotiable and ask what they want to be paid in an interview.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hi there - Thanks so much for your advice and I'm really sorry that I never followed up with you, Hesperia. I was side-tracked by last minute travel and an unbearably slow internet connection lately.

We only received one response to our numerous ads but she was WONDERFUL. The other mom and I were over the moon with our good luck at finding her. Alas, everything fell apart when it came to pay. We did a ton of research on rates in our area and thought that we made a very decent offer but she countered asking for A LOT more, way more than we could afford. We were pretty surprised but in following up it seemed that the real reason was that she got cold feet about the responsibility. She had tons of good experience and is a recent ECE grad but had never been a nanny to babies and I think the reality of the job sunk in over time. We were crushed because we had total confidence that she'd be great.

Anyway, I'm glad that we found out sooner rather than later but it was so much work to get to that point that it was a huge let down. Thank goodness we managed to find a wonderful woman who will take our boys in her home with only one other child to join in January. A kind of mini-daycare. The nanny was my first choice but this is the next best thing and I feel minutely better about going back to work (although that still mostly sucks).

Thanks again and my apologies for not following up!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
Hi there - Thanks so much for your advice and I'm really sorry that I never followed up with you, Hesperia. I was side-tracked by last minute travel and an unbearably slow internet connection lately.

We only received one response to our numerous ads but she was WONDERFUL. The other mom and I were over the moon with our good luck at finding her. Alas, everything fell apart when it came to pay. We did a ton of research on rates in our area and thought that we made a very decent offer but she countered asking for A LOT more, way more than we could afford. We were pretty surprised but in following up it seemed that the real reason was that she got cold feet about the responsibility. She had tons of good experience and is a recent ECE grad but had never been a nanny to babies and I think the reality of the job sunk in over time. We were crushed because we had total confidence that she'd be great.

Anyway, I'm glad that we found out sooner rather than later but it was so much work to get to that point that it was a huge let down. Thank goodness we managed to find a wonderful woman who will take our boys in her home with only one other child to join in January. A kind of mini-daycare. The nanny was my first choice but this is the next best thing and I feel minutely better about going back to work (although that still mostly sucks).

Thanks again and my apologies for not following up!
Don't be sorry!

I'm glad you found something that works, but I am sorry it wasn't your primary choice.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.

User Tag List