Quebec childcare tax credit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-15-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi everyone -

I am exploring every childcare option out there for my little guy when I return to work in a few months. Some of them are pretty expensive and the provincial childcare tax credit could make all the difference. However, our accountant did some research for me and I also spoke to Rev Quebec on the phone - both gave me very different answers!

Does anyone have experience with private non-subsidized childcare and applying for the tax credit, either on your annual income tax or through the advance reimbursement program? Please let me know if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

Thanks so much!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#2 of 3 Old 09-15-2009, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is in private non-subsidized childcare and I've applied for the advanced reimbursement program. I had no problems whatsoever, since I had filed my income taxes on time (for once!). You need to be registered with Revenu Québec for direct deposit, as this reimbursement is only given through that means. Aside from that, how much is reimbursed to you depends on your household's income. Obviously, the first year, you'll be reimbursed a greater percentage since you were at home in the last fiscal year and probably functioning on a diminished income. The next year after that, it really starts sucking.

http://www.revenu.gouv.qc.ca/eng/par...ant/vindex.asp

Ask away if you have any other questions.
#3 of 3 Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have our son in a private daycare at $21/day, he started in April 2009. I used this calculator to estimate what I would get back, but found it was not 100% accurate: http://www.budget.finances.gouv.qc.c...9_Anglais.html

I only filed in June, so my advance reimbursement payments are split in two, one in July and one in September. That means I had to front the payments from April to June before getting any money back.

You have to estimate how many days your child will be in daycare that year, and how much you estimate your family income will be. I estimated 191 days, which equals $4011. I'm getting a total of $2406 back, which brings the daily cost down to $8.40.

Since they asked for our estimated income for the year when applying, I don't know if they're looking at my lower income from last year or not. If they are, then I expect to get less back from them next year, we'll see. If your family makes more than $80,000 total, the daily cost will be more than $7 a day. I was perfectly fine with that, because our DCP is an absolute gem and seems to genuinely love the kids. The $7 a day DCPs I talked to were so abrupt with me when I called around - maybe I got some nasty ones, but it seemed to be just all business with them In any case, we really lucked out, and I wouldn't switch DS even if I found a $7/day spot.

BTW, I used this site to find his daycare, it's an excellent resource if you're near Montreal. http://www.magarderie.com/

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page